~^~^Official Pre-DO Personal Statement Guide and Reader List 2015-2016^~^~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Current Readers Available:
  • studyfordo | Successfully applied and was accepted to two types of grad programs with a unique background | able to provide critique on overall content only
  • fkt24| Received good feedback and advice on my personal statement, accepted student | content and organization
  • JimmyB123| accepted student, traditional background, extremely strong cycle on the DO side|Willing to edit for content only; prefer traditional-ish applicants

Readers Not Available:
  • brakk026 | 2nd year med student, SDN author and editorial board member | content and grammar
  • Alteredscale| Good feedback regarding my PS, unique experiences far outside of medicine|Willing to provide feedback to overall content.
  • Vanillabeaneo | Gone fishing.
  • Amarillo | Non-trad BS in Biology / Public Health; previously provided feedback to multiple accepted friends & colleagues; technical writing required in job & creative writing as hobby | content & grammar | swamped until at least mid-May. Sorry folks!
  • Plaquebuster| DO-PhD accepted student; love to read PS and give advice | content, organization and grammar; cut and paste into PM; no need to ask me first|Swamped as of now
  • wxman393| Military, faculty member, non-trad background. BS in Meteorology, Master of Public Health (MPH/Disaster Management), PhD Public Health/Epidemiology | content, grammar, organization | Deployed
  • Higherprimate | Non-traditional, accepted student, Entrepreneur, BS Biology | Content and organization| Busy until after Memorial Weekend. Have plenty to read right now.
  • oceanman | Writing tutor; have read and reviewed many PS | overall content and organization

Members don't see this ad.

studyfordo | Successfully applied and was accepted to two types of grad programs with a unique background | able to provide critique on overall content only
oceanman | Writing tutor; have read and reviewed many PS | overall content and organization
JimmyB123| accepted student, traditional background, extremely strong cycle on the DO side|Willing to edit for content only; prefer traditional-ish applicants

Readers Not Available:
brakk026 | 2nd year med student, SDN author and editorial board member | content and grammar
Alteredscale| Good feedback regarding my PS, unique experiences far outside of medicine|Willing to provide feedback to overall content.
Vanillabeaneo | Gone fishing.
Amarillo | Non-trad BS in Biology / Public Health; previously provided feedback to multiple accepted friends & colleagues; technical writing required in job & creative writing as hobby | content & grammar | swamped until at least mid-May. Sorry folks!
Plaquebuster| DO-PhD accepted student; love to read PS and give advice | content, organization and grammar; cut and paste into PM; no need to ask me first|Swamped as of now
wxman393| Military, faculty member, non-trad background. BS in Meteorology, Master of Public Health (MPH/Disaster Management), PhD Public Health/Epidemiology | content, grammar, organization | Deployed
Higherprimate | Non-traditional, accepted student, Entrepreneur, BS Biology | Content and organization| Busy until after Memorial Weekend. Have plenty to read right now.
fkt24| Received good feedback and advice on my personal statement, accepted student | content and organization | Have plenty to read right now

Also looking for someone to help me with my PS. Anyone available?

Members don't see this ad :)
studyfordo | Successfully applied and was accepted to two types of grad programs with a unique background | able to provide critique on overall content only
JimmyB123| accepted student, traditional background, extremely strong cycle on the DO side|Willing to edit for content only; prefer traditional-ish applicants

Readers Not Available:
brakk026 | 2nd year med student, SDN author and editorial board member | content and grammar
Alteredscale| Good feedback regarding my PS, unique experiences far outside of medicine|Willing to provide feedback to overall content.
Amarillo | Non-trad BS in Biology / Public Health; previously provided feedback to multiple accepted friends & colleagues; technical writing required in job & creative writing as hobby | content & grammar | swamped until at least mid-May. Sorry folks!
Plaquebuster| DO-PhD accepted student; love to read PS and give advice | content, organization and grammar; cut and paste into PM; no need to ask me first|Swamped as of now
wxman393| Military, faculty member, non-trad background. BS in Meteorology, Master of Public Health (MPH/Disaster Management), PhD Public Health/Epidemiology | content, grammar, organization | Deployed
Higherprimate | Non-traditional, accepted student, Entrepreneur, BS Biology | Content and organization| Busy until after Memorial Weekend. Have plenty to read right now.
oceanman | Writing tutor; have read and reviewed many PS | overall content and organization
fkt24| Received good feedback and advice on my personal statement, accepted student | content and organization | Have plenty to read right now

Readers Not Available:
studyfordo | Successfully applied and was accepted to two types of grad programs with a unique background | able to provide critique on overall content only | holy crap I have way too many to read.

Are there any more available readers?...I'm in desperate need of feedback to overall content on my final draft...thank you:)

Anyone willing to read over my personal statement? Non-traditional 3rd time re-applicant. Would absolutely love anyone that can give me some constructive feedback, like rip me apart if possible.

Whoops! I did not see this thread when making a post about someone reading over my PS! If there is anyone available that would be great. Or even any other applicants who want to trade Personal Statements for review

Hello everyone! Was hoping to see if there was anyone available to briefly look over my PS. Would love your comments and feedback! Again, thank you so much for your time and service!

happyhannah| worked as a writing tutor for 5 years, have read/gave feedback on many PS for MD/DO applicants, will edit for content mostly but I won't ignore any blatant grammar errors

Readers Not Available:
studyfordo | Successfully applied and was accepted to two types of grad programs with a unique background | able to provide critique on overall content only | holy crap I have way too many to read.

@JimmyB123 or @happyhannah , would you mind reading the first draft of my PS and giving me some pointers/advice? I'd really appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)

happyhannah| worked as a writing tutor for 5 years, have read/gave feedback on many PS for MD/DO applicants, will edit for content mostly but I won't ignore any blatant grammar errors

wxman393| Military, first year med student, non-trad background, multiple professional publications. BS in Meteorology, Master of Public Health (MPH/Disaster Management), PhD in Public Health/Epidemiology | content, grammar, organization, etc. |

Readers Not Available:

Figured I throw mine in here too, please PM me, if you are willing to read my PS....its done....just want a second set of eyes...thanks

I'm wondering if any PS readers would be willing to give suggestions/critiques on secondary essays?

I am also looking for someone to read over my PS. It's finished, but I would like to get it into as many hands as possible before submitting! It's the only thing standing between me and that submit button... and it hasn't been easy! Please PM me if you have the time, and thanks in advance!

I am looking for someone to read my PS. I finally finished it and edited it to the best of my abilities. I would love for someone to look over it before I submit it. PM me if any of you would be willing to help out, I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

Hey guys question, how detrimental do you think it is not including specifically why DO on your PS, but instead talking about why medicine? I figured most of the secondaries are going to ask why DO (and actually, all the one's I've received- KCOM, AZCOM/CCOM, OSUCOM have explicitly asked why DO) and I didn't want to seem super super super repetitive. #replypost

Hey guys question, how detrimental do you think it is not including specifically why DO on your PS, but instead talking about why medicine? I figured most of the secondaries are going to ask why DO (and actually, all the one's I've received- KCOM, AZCOM/CCOM, OSUCOM have explicitly asked why DO) and I didn't want to seem super super super repetitive. #replypost

Most things I've read recommend using your PS to say "why medicine" and the secondaries to explain the osteopathic route, so you should be in the clear. I'm sure it's perfectly fine to say something about osteopathic medicine in your PS, but it won't hurt you not to :)

I'm not sure how detrimental it would be, but the AACOMAS prompt this year is asking why you want to be a DO.

Hi everyone,

I just need someone to read my two versions of my opening paragraph of my personal statement. I am wanting to submit today and just want some feedback on which is more captivating.

Thanks in advance.

Hi everyone, just finished proofing my PS for this cycle earlier today. I was wondering if anyone was willing to read over it , I know it is probably not possible, but if any ADCOMS were willings that would be great. Any feedback or eyes on it would be appreciate.
Thanks!

Looking for feedback/suggestions on how to shorten my PS from AMCAS to AACOMAS.
Please do let me know!

@studyfordo , @fkt24 , @happyhannah , and @oceanman , Are any of you guys able to edit my personal statement? I am brand new on this website in terms of actually using it so i don't really how to personally message you guys. It would be greatly appreciated if I can have your feedback on my personal statement. Thank you so much for your time :)

Can anyone read my personal statement and just offer some general advice? Please . Thanks.

Is anyone able to read my PS and provide feedback? I would really appreciate it.

Does anybody know if any of the reviewers' statuses have changed and if they are reading anymore as of late? This threads been quiet for a while ..
thank you! :)

Best advice: pick a story that embodies your drive to become a doctor and all of the reasons you've chosen this path. That story will be your resonating theme and provide sprinkled in examples throughout the essay. Don't worry about cutting it until EVERYTHING (EVERY THOUGHT) is written down on paper. Make sure you tell the story of who YOU are. Good luck everyone!

Anyone willing to take a look at my personal statement?
I PM'd the people on the current readers available list, but haven't heard back yet. So thought I'd ask here. Thanks.

If anyone here still needs help editing their personal statement for the upcoming application cycle and can't find anyone here willing to help, they should consider using Gurufi.com. They offer great, prompt service (2 days). The price is reasonable and the result is worth it! They send you thorough feedback about your ps content and are willing to help you tweak your draft until you are completely satisfied with the final result.

Willing to look over personal statements for a few people. I'm currently in my second application cycle. Had a bunch of people look over my statement and it seems pretty strong. I'm huge on grammar and sentence structure and will make sure you don't sound like an idiot. In my opinion, have as many people look over the statement as possible.

wxman393| Military, first year med student, non-trad background, multiple professional publications. BS in Meteorology, Master of Public Health (MPH/Disaster Management), PhD in Public Health/Epidemiology | content, grammar, organization, etc. |

gbrar |BS in Biology, traditional background with heavy emphasis on extracurriculars, received great feedback on PS/Secondaries | I will edit for content, structure, and flow |

Readers Not Available:

Can anyone look over my PS? I need some serious help in structuring it better.

If someone can read my personal statement it would help a lot! It's definitely longer than the max character limit so any help would be much appreciated

Hello all,

I know it's late in the cycle, but I need some help reading my personal statement. English ain't my first language.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.