Official Pediatrics Shelf Exam Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all,
This thread is really helpful, so thanks!

1. Several people have mentioned that the USMLEworld questions were helpful for the pediatrics shelf exam...are they talking about USMLE world for Step 1? Do you just scroll through and do the peds questions?

2. What's Kaplan Qbook? Are these questions better than USMLEworld?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Thought of another question...

Is it more useful to focus on Step 1 type questions for the peds shelf or Step 2? I've only taken one shelf and just took Step 1. The shelf questions don't seem that similar to Step 1 questions to me. I'm trying to find the best resources to do as many practice problems as I can for my peds shelf because I want to go into peds.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Score 89.

Walked out thinking I would be in the upper seventies and that the test was pretty difficult (I must have circled 25 of the questions along with a few stupid mistakes I realized afterwards). I guess that really doesn't matter since the score is not a percentage of what you get correct. I didn't thoroughly read all of the questions and moved at a quick pace. I finished with 15 minutes to spare (I'd heard horror stories of people being only half way through with 30 minutes left) and after using the restroom tried to go over some of the questions I was unsure of.

What I did:
  • Case files once with a quick review of the pearls the day before the exam. It's actually a pretty quick read.
  • Pretest twice. I heard this was key. It's pretty good for reinforcing buzzwords.
  • Kaplan Qbook once. These questions I found more difficult.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
And apparently the Kaplan videos, at the expense of thousands of dollars, eh?

Plus the cost of gas (mid-grade at that) to drive the closest Kaplan center every night to watch said videos.

Plus the cost of gas (mid-grade at that) to drive the closest Kaplan center every night to watch said videos.
I was just pointing out that you also used Kaplan videos which you neglected to mention in your post. Those likely contributed to your score. It's nice to know everything that someone uses. It's hard to get that score with Pretest and Case Files.

I was just pointing out that you also used Kaplan videos which you neglected to mention in your post. Those likely contributed to your score. It's nice to know everything that someone uses. It's hard to get that score with Pretest and Case Files.

Actually I watched about 1/2 of the Kaplan videos, which really were helpful. However, I felt that 30-40% of my exam I got from Step 1 stuff that I recalled, not anything I saw in pre-test. Although I did like pre-test for peds.

To the people who have posted in this thread - thanks for the advice

I used Pretest x2 and Case Files x2. Someone lent me blueprints, but after a few pages of reading I found that I had subconsciously started jamming a tuning fork into my ear...

Anyways, did well. Official score 91. I would suggest really paying attention to pretest, but don't get wrapped up in the ridiculously uncommon pathology it contains (i.e. storage disorders, Laurence-Moon-Biel syndrome, etc.)

I've got a copy of the new Prestest book as well as an older edition (I haven't actually taken a look to see if there is any difference), UWorld, and the Kaplan Qbook... By the end of this weekend I will have finished reading Blueprints hopefully, and I'll have almost two weeks until my shelf. Anyone think its worth it to try to re-read Blueprints or put a decent dent in Case files, or should I focus on doing lots of questions? My school's grading policy for Peds seems relatively laid back given that they give us our final grade as whatever we got clinically so long as we achieve a 70 on the shelf...

I've finished almost all of Pretest so far... Does it seem to anyone else like the questions are really buzz-wordy and you can generally see whats going on before you look at the answer choices? Were the shelf questions similar in difficulty to the Pretest peds question?

Most of the shelf is "buzz-wordy." Pick up Case Files well, and if you've read a little and paid attention during rounds you'll do well on the shelf.

Score: 85
Resources used: Blueprints(read through once), Pre-Test (did all questions once), weekly clerkship lectures.

Pre-test's questions were much easier than the actual shelf exam. Blueprints was pretty good at covering most of the diagnoses I saw on the test, but wasn't that good preparation for the treatment/"what next" questions.

Also, if this is your first shelf, TIMING is very important. There isn't time to second guess yourself or overthink questions; you only have 1.3 minutes per question to read the question, decide on the answer, and fill in the bubble on the scantron.

Just took it today. Seemed significantly easier than the internal medicine shelf which I took previously. I read Blueprints (an older version) once, PreTest once, and then did the USMLE World questions... There seemed to be a handful of questions I knew just from studying for Step 1 over the summer and then for my medicine shelf 6 weeks ago. I finished the exam with about 25 minutes to spare and was able to go through most of the questions i "marked" the first time through. Lots of buzz words just as I've heard. I feel like I did well, but I'll update when my score comes back in a couple weeks.

^ I agree! Definitely easier than medicine. On my medicine shelf I only have 8-9 mins to spare, but I had over 30 minutes left over for peds to go over my answers.

I read:
Case Files x1
Deja review pediatrics x1.5 - I thought this was a great book, a lot easier to read when I tired and sick of studying. It helped a lot with buzzwords and assocations.
1/2 of NMS and hated it
First 7-8 chapters of kaplan step 2 notes for peds - good but didn't have time to get through it

Questions:
Pre-test x 1 - decent
UW - excellent, but definitely much easier than the shelf
Kaplan step 2 Qbook - excellent

If I could do anything differently, I probably would have stuck with Case Files, Blueprints, and Deja Review for reading material instead of switching around so much.

I scored a 96 on medicine, 99 on peds. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just took it today. Seemed significantly easier than the internal medicine shelf which I took previously. I read Blueprints (an older version) once, PreTest once, and then did the USMLE World questions... There seemed to be a handful of questions I knew just from studying for Step 1 over the summer and then for my medicine shelf 6 weeks ago. I finished the exam with about 25 minutes to spare and was able to go through most of the questions i "marked" the first time through. Lots of buzz words just as I've heard. I feel like I did well, but I'll update when my score comes back in a couple weeks.

just got my score back. 83 raw; 87th percentile

Still waiting on my score but I used:
Uworld
Case Files
Pretest

This is the first time I've actually found pre-test helpful in shelf preparation. Peds pretest does a good job focusing on topics that actually are shelf-relevant as opposed to some of the other versions I've looked at which really seem to hit obscure stuff. The other 2 sources were good, definitely helped.

Have to see how the scores come back. Keeping my fingers crossed. :xf:

Still waiting on my score but I used:
Uworld
Case Files
Pretest

This is the first time I've actually found pre-test helpful in shelf preparation. Peds pretest does a good job focusing on topics that actually are shelf-relevant as opposed to some of the other versions I've looked at which really seem to hit obscure stuff. The other 2 sources were good, definitely helped.

Have to see how the scores come back. Keeping my fingers crossed. :xf:
I actually found pretest to be as esoteric and obscure as usual. I thought the shelf tested the bread and butter of peds vs. a lot of obscure genetic syndromes that were covered in pretest. But if you found it helpful, I suppose that's all that matters. Please update when you get your score.

When I replied to your post you had just hit 17,000 posts. Amazing.

picture12jp.png

I actually found pretest to be as esoteric and obscure as usual. I thought the shelf tested the bread and butter of peds vs. a lot of obscure genetic syndromes that were covered in pretest. But if you found it helpful, I suppose that's all that matters. Please update when you get your score.

When I replied to your post you had just hit 17,000 posts. Amazing.

picture12jp.png

Thanks for pointing that out, I probably would have missed it if I hadn't seen this. :thumbup:

:soexcited: w00t! rocked it!

Raw 95, Percentile 98

Just got scores back yesterday. Best shelf of the year! Somehow I finished my first go 'round with 30 minutes left so I had a lot of time to go back and look at the questions I circled. First time I've been able to do that this year.
Case Files x2, Pre-Test x2

93 raw, 98 percentile :soexcited:

Just got scores back yesterday. Best shelf of the year! Somehow I finished my first go 'round with 30 minutes left so I had a lot of time to go back and look at the questions I circled. First time I've been able to do that this year.
Case Files x2, Pre-Test x2

93 raw, 98 percentile :soexcited:

:highfive:

This shelf was significantly different than what I had predicted. Typically, I feel like I know the kinds of questions that will be on the shelf - but these questions seemed totally different and more nitpicky, and almost none of the bread and butter stuff I was expecting. I honestly thought I failed walking out - and I want to do peds and thought like I worked really hard, so I was pretty upset.

Ended up with a 93, 99%tile for my quarter. I have no idea how that happened.

I used Case Files and Pretest. Tried blueprints, but didn't make it through much of it. I also used the Illustrated Textbook of Paediatrics as a reference, which I thought was good, but not in depth enough for my needs.

Yeah, whoever above said you don't have to know any rare genetic diseases besides Downs and neurofibromatosis did not have my test (or just didn't notice the more rare diseases mentioned). UWorld was amazing preparation. Everything on UWorld is fair game. Pretest, however, is excessive.

The best advice I could give is to read Peds in Review articles on every patient you have on the wards. If you have outpatient specialty clinics, read the Peds in Review article about the most common diseases in that specialty.

This shelf is NOT all bread and butter. It's a GOOD MIX of bread and butter, rare disease, neonatal, adolescent, subspecialty, trauma, surgery, and pathophysiology.

Took the Peds shelf exam.

Sources: Case Files was excellent. Blueprints was very good. UWorld questions were okay. PreTest suuucked.

Day of the test, I dunno what happened, but I didn't eat much before the exam. So it reminded a bit of those scary few minutes I felt nauseous and dizzy back when I took Step I. Had to take a few breaks during the test to collect myself because I kept zoning in and out.

That said, the test was very manageable. 6-7 question stems on some pages, and the matching items at the end were Mickey Mouse questions. Had plenty of time to return to questions I circled.

Raw > 85
Percentile > 90th

Certainly not :soexcited:-worthy like some of the heavy hitters in this thread, but I'm still happy with the outcome. At the very least, make sure you befriend CaseFiles before taking this test.

Thanks for the advice in here, and good luck to all future testtakers.

CLIPP blows. Has anyone had a CLIPP-based test? What did you do to digest the material and feel like you've learned something? This is my 2nd read through and I still feel lost on things, so looking for any advice. Exam next Friday. Thanks!

I thought CLIPP was really helpful for the shelf. I'm not sure what you mean by "CLIPP-based test" but those are great cases and really help you on the shelf. Print out those summary sheets at the end and study those hard.

Hi! I am studying for the peds shelf again. I didn't pass on my first shot through :( I actually studied alot for it the first time: BRS X2 and all of the UWorld test questions and a bunch of CLIPP cases.

Seems like Casefiles and Pretest might be good sources instead? I just really want to pass the second time around. Test is in 3.5 weeks, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!! (Also, it has been 4 months since I did Peds now and I don't remember all too much nitty gritty details from Step 1).

Case files and pretest are money!! kaplan lecture notes and vids is good too. Done with this shelf :)

I'm not sure what you mean by "CLIPP-based test"

Some schools like mine use a test prepared by the folks who do the CLIPP cases rather than taking the shelf. I haven't taken it yet, but I've been told that reading the summaries are adequate for it as well.

Some schools like mine use a test prepared by the folks who do the CLIPP cases rather than taking the shelf. I haven't taken it yet, but I've been told that reading the summaries are adequate for it as well.
Interesting. I've never heard of that. Either way, I think the CLIPP cases were really good. They were a pain to get through, but the summary sheets were great fodder for study.

Pretest once, ignoring some of the ridiculous pathology and diseases that I've never heard of.

Case files once all the way through and ~1/2 of the questions a second time

All the CLIPP cases (actually required for our clerkship)

Rudolph's as a reference during the rotation

Ended up with a 94, totally thrilled. This was my 4th shelf and easily the best I've done. It helped having it fourth, as there were OB and Psych questions where they just made the patient 16. Also, I'm going into peds, so I'm sure I put a little extra effort into this one.

Pretest once, ignoring some of the ridiculous pathology and diseases that I've never heard of.

Case files once all the way through and ~1/2 of the questions a second time

All the CLIPP cases (actually required for our clerkship)

Rudolph's as a reference during the rotation

Ended up with a 94, totally thrilled. This was my 4th shelf and easily the best I've done. It helped having it fourth, as there were OB and Psych questions where they just made the patient 16. Also, I'm going into peds, so I'm sure I put a little extra effort into this one.
That's a great score. Congrats. It's especially good seeing as how you didn't kill yourself studying. Well done.

Does anyone know the percentile rankings for this shelf? I can't find them on the NBME site. I got a 76 and my school says that is 55th percentile. With a mean is 72 and a SD is 7, then this seems too low

Does anyone know the percentile rankings for this shelf? I can't find them on the NBME site. I got a 76 and my school says that is 55th percentile. With a mean is 72 and a SD is 7, then this seems too low
Where did you hear that the mean is 72 with an SD of 7? I thought that all NBME shelves were set to a 70 mean with an 8 SD?

Where did you hear that the mean is 72 with an SD of 7? I thought that all NBME shelves were set to a 70 mean with an 8 SD?
I'm still not convinced the "mean of 70 with SD of 8" is always true either. I've never seen anything official from the NBME saying as much, nor have I seen an official NBME report. It seems this 70, 8 myth has just been propagated by SDN for so long it's been made truth.

Just what the school told us. I think the means and SD vary a little depending on when you take it during the year. I seem to remember a surgery shelf exam scoring table that showed how the scores get a little better later in the year.

I'm still not convinced the "mean of 70 with SD of 8" is always true either. I've never seen anything official from the NBME saying as much, nor have I seen an official NBME report. It seems this 70, 8 myth has just been propagated by SDN for so long it's been made truth.

I don't have one for peds, but this appears on both my OB/GYN and Surgery Score reports:

Subject Examination Scores
The subject examination score is scaled to have a mean of 70 and a standard deviation of 8 for a group of first-time takers from U.S. LCME-accredited medical schools who took this examination as a final clerkship examination under standard testing conditions. As a result, the vast majority of scores range from 45 to 95, and although the scores have the “look and feel” of percent-correct scores, they are not. This scale provides a useful tool for comparing your performance with that of a nationally representative group taking this examination as an end-of-clerkship assessment.

The subject examination scores are statistically equated across test administrations. Scores are statistically adjusted for shifts in test difficulty and consequently, can be used to track school and student performance over time.

Thanks, Depakote. So it sounds like they scale it to one (or a few) administrations of the exam versus the group that took it on your test day (or that week, month, etc.). We don't get our score reports so I appreciate your adding this to the discussion.

Does your score report also give percentiles? In another thread, IIRC two people had the same score (or within 1-2 points) but very different percentiles.

Thanks, Depakote. So it sounds like they scale it to one (or a few) administrations of the exam versus the group that took it on your test day (or that week, month, etc.). We don't get our score reports so I appreciate your adding this to the discussion.

Does your score report also give percentiles? In another thread, IIRC two people had the same score (or within 1-2 points) but very different percentiles.

The score report from the NBME only gives the raw score. My school provides a percentile (which is used for our grade calculation). I'm not sure where they're getting it from.

i have 72 hours before my shelf...have already done case files..do i spend the rest of my time hammering in pretest or focus on UWorld...what's the best bang for my buck (emphasis on efficiency since time is limited)..thanks for any useful responses in advance

i have 72 hours before my shelf...have already done case files..do i spend the rest of my time hammering in pretest or focus on UWorld...what's the best bang for my buck (emphasis on efficiency since time is limited)..thanks for any useful responses in advance
Focus on UWorld. Forget about Pretest. It tests lots of trivia that is not very helpful or important. Try to get through all the UWorld questions at least once.

Raw: 97
School Adjusted grade: 98%

Sources: Casefiles x1, Pretest x1, UW (all peds qs), CLIPP Cases (required by my school), Kaplan Step II Q Book peds qs

Highest score of the year for me! I'm really proud of this one and hope everyone else does well in peds also. I think all of the resources I listed are helpful in their own ways. CLIPP cases are time intensive but are good at the beginning of the rotation to get your feet wet with big concepts, and are of course required for some schools (mine included). By no means wait till the end or even the middle of your rotation to start, you should know most of the stuff covered by CLIPP by that time anyways. Pretest is actually great for Peds, one of the few shelfs I've found it helpful. UW and Kaplan qs are great as always.

I will say that I did things during this rotation that I don't normally do that I think gave me that extra little push that got me a good score on the shelf. I read all the way through UpToDate articles on highly tested concepts like Kawasaki's for example. I also had to give a couple of presentations so I made sure to do them on "high yield" topics for the shelf so that I was also sort of studying (my favorite was one on pediatric dermatology stuff with lots of pictures, doing it actually saved my bacon on a question on the shelf).

On a side note, here's my system that has evolved over the course of year for me for taking shelf exams. It's pretty resource intensive so you need to either a) be rich b)have rich parents or c) pool your resources with classmates. I used Case Files for every shelf. I try to get through at least 10 cases per week (more if I can) by reading during the week between rounds, cases, etc. 10 cases per week is very manageable and puts you on track to get through the book at least once before your shelf. On my days off or during anytime during weekdays when I'm sick of casefiles I read the hell out of big broad review books like Blueprints for OBGYN, NMS Cases and Kaplan for Surgery, First Aid for Psych, Step Up for IM, and so on. Pace yourself to get through a broad review book before your shelf. Questions are my bread and butter for taking shelfs so I go through every question resource I can beg, borrow, or steal. Do pretest if it is recommended for a particular shelf by others here on SDN forums. Otherwise don't. I find I burn through CaseFiles pretty quickly and take my time with broad review books and will mix in pretest whenever I can. I start UW qs (depending on the shelf) 2-3 weeks before the shelf. I will do 22-44 qs per night or more if I'm on call and nothing is going on. Obviously start sooner or do more qs for IM. I personally do untimed sections. I don't worry about pacing myself because I've never really struggled for time on any shelf and I also don't like to burn myself out on UW qs, I like to do them to learn and think about them and how to think through difficult questions (learning how to recognize "traps", common ways of asking about topics, etc). I review the answers and write down the key concept for every missed question and anything I learned (or that wasn't extremely common sense) and use this and any other notes for study the day before the shelf. We always have the day off before our shelf exams for study. I wake up that morning and do all of the Kaplan Step II CK qs for my given subject. I usually time these and do 100 qs in 2 hours. I do this to get my mind prepared for going a little quicker the next day, although it is no problem to get through 100 Kaplan qs in 2 hours (I'm not burning myself out). It's a good warm up--I don't learn much new, but I can see what topics I'm still not quite getting or which ones I 'm pretty solid on. I then spend the rest of the day reviewing notes or whatever I whatever I need to do. Come shelf exam time do what everyone else recommends--start at the end with the quick questions and then kill the rest of the test. You can do it, and you'll put the third year of med school behind you and never look back!

Hi all, I couldn't help but notice how a lot of you have already developed a strong foundation of clinical knowledge before having done your peds rotation. This is my first rotation. I'm going through Case Files (breezing through Case Files) and I feel like it leaves out so much useful information.

Question for those of you who recommend Case Files: would you recommend this book to someone doing their first rotation over sources that are more comprehensive, such as FA or Blueprints?

wow that was a really tough shelf...took it on friday

first off the stems are almost 1/2 page long at times and it is so exhausting reading through them all...sometimes i was halfway through one stem and then i realized i had forgotten what i had just read and had to back track

the questions were very difficult and there was a lot of minutia tested...it really felt like any prep i did only helped me with some of the giveaways. Physiology was HEAVILY tested..in almost every question they threw lab values at you and you had to interpret them...many times they'd be completely normal but they'd still put them in to waste your time

i had at least 6 questions on cyanotic heart disease and none of them were fair...they all dealt with weird newborn murmurs (thought i had a TOF which they described as a varge septal defect with pumlonic stenosis and then the questions says there is no murmur to be head...wtf) or why a kid was normal but then became cyanotic in a week or in a year...answer choices never were a diagosis but always the physio behind the cyanosis

know the testicles of a boy really well (that didn't come out right) because I had at least 5 questions on that...defnitely know your cardiac, respiratory and endocrine chapters in and out

i had another weird questions where a kid is down in platelets, wbcs, and red blood cells and he had bone pain...seemed like ALL but the white count was low for some reason and the CBC didnt not blasts in the peripheral blood...all the other choices where infectious diseases that made no sense

many of the questions i'd know the answer to but then be surprised by the choices given

we'll see how it goes but i just wanted to vent because neither pretest nor casefiles prepared me for this exam...both have questions which are too short and don't emphasize the level of detail needed for this exam...i hope everyone else in my quarter did as bad so at least the curve will be nice

i used Kaplan videos + text, some of casefiles (not in depth), pretest 80% and Uworld comepletely...

did anyone else think this was a really tough exam??

(I'd say the toughest exam of medical school thus far and trust me I've had very tough exams in the past)

I agree, this test was ridiculously hard. The questions were 1/2 page and often had labs, full of superflous information, and very few straight forward answers. I often had questions that asked for a diagnosis based on 1 or 2 symptoms that fell on the borderline between more than one possible answer. I looked up many questions after the test only to be unable to find clear answers. I don't think I have had such a poorly written, unfair test in all of medical school. I studied very hard, completing case files, pre-test, and uworld. Any "buzzwords" were always given with information that made you question whether they were trying to trick you.

Yeah, I agree the shelf wasn't so easy. I didn't actually study outside of my rotations at all. This was my first shelf and I had done a month of both outpatient and inpatient, and I kinda wanted to wing it and see how I did. Ended up with a raw score of 80. By "didn't study" I mean didn't buy any review books or do any Q-banks. I read some review articles and had some good lectures while on rotation, but the second month I was working at least 6-6 and with kids at home I just couldn't bring myself to study without knowing what the test was gonna be like.

In retrospect I wish I did just a bit of review on top of my on-site learning to bump my score up a little, especially since I will probably go into peds. In any case, it was my first shelf so now I know what to expect and can prepare for next time. My advice is that time is a more of a factor than in previous med school exams. I took the USMLE with more than an hour to spare and did well and I needed to rush to answer all 100 questions. Don't get bogged down reading long stems, and I would guess a thorough run through of USMLE World peds questions would have been enough to give me a raw score in the 90s. Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Hi all, I couldn't help but notice how a lot of you have already developed a strong foundation of clinical knowledge before having done your peds rotation. This is my first rotation. I'm going through Case Files (breezing through Case Files) and I feel like it leaves out so much useful information.

Question for those of you who recommend Case Files: would you recommend this book to someone doing their first rotation over sources that are more comprehensive, such as FA or Blueprints?

I quit reading case files. It would be so much more useful if they included a differential diagnosis for the case and explained what would lean you away/towards each diagnosis. But just having a short blurb on a case with questions unrelated to the reading wasn't doing anything for me.

Does anyone have the PEDS raw score to percentile rank website/pdf/info?

I've seen the Medicine ones. Does NBME use that one for Peds too?

Thanks