**Official Pacific Class of 2010**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Welcome, good to have you! Since you live in SF, where would you recommend to live for a family of 3, soon to be 4?

A lot of the students with larger families live up in Marin somewhere, as far as San Rafael. You get a little more bang for your buck when it comes to renting a place, plus it's a bit quieter than living right in the city. It takes about 30 min to get to school by car, usually the families up there get to know each other so they can all carpool to school. If you're Mormon, you can park at the church a few blocks from school. Otherwise, you can get a monthly pass and park at one of the local parking garages. If you're lucky, the hospital across the street might have some spots open for carpoolers.

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of the students with larger families live up in Marin somewhere, as far as San Rafael. You get a little more bang for your buck when it comes to renting a place, plus it's a bit quieter than living right in the city. It takes about 30 min to get to school by car, usually the families up there get to know each other so they can all carpool to school. If you're Mormon, you can park at the church a few blocks from school. Otherwise, you can get a monthly pass and park at one of the local parking garages. If you're lucky, the hospital across the street might have some spots open for carpoolers.

Thanks Sherm, my wife are looking at the Ridgeway in Sausolito. My question for you is would you recommend living closer to school, say within 10-15 minutes, for first years, or live a bit further and save on rent?

Anyone think I'm crazy for considering UConn as an alternative to Pacific?

Pacific is just so awesome and going off the dental SDN, UConn is a pretty aweful place for clinical training. Everything about the schools seems so opposite but I am attracted to both alot.

Ever since I was a sophomore and began talking to Pacific alumni, I've wanted to go to Pacific...now that I have an offer I'm skeptical.

Anyone else stuck or is everyone here gung-ho for Pacific?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else stuck or is everyone here gung-ho for Pacific?

I wouldn't exactly call myself gung-ho for Pacific just yet, but now that I've gotten past the big names of the Ivy Leagues I'm starting to settle down.

i'm gung ho like a GI Joe

Whatup everyone,

I'll be your classmate next year so just wanted to give you guys a shout. Looks like next year is going to be a good time!

Welcome docnimster :)

Welcome, good to have you! Since you live in SF, where would you recommend to live for a family of 3, soon to be 4?

Congrats on #4!

I wouldn't exactly call myself gung-ho for Pacific just yet, but now that I've gotten past the big names of the Ivy Leagues I'm starting to settle down.

So are you back in our camp now? Yay.

Anyone think I'm crazy for considering UConn as an alternative to Pacific?

Really? That's funny, when I was reading the UConn thread last night I was thinking how polar opposite the reps of Pacific and UConn are, and thinking that they probably attracted different kinds of people. I dunno, UConn sounds pretty miserable from the upperclassmen there, I'd be a little worried.

Thanks Sherm, my wife are looking at the Ridgeway in Sausolito. My question for you is would you recommend living closer to school, say within 10-15 minutes, for first years, or live a bit further and save on rent?

We lived at Ridgeway when we started. It is like 15 min away. Maybe ten minutes more than Presidio. We are the most north of any of the dental students now (1 exit south of Novato) and it is only 1/2 hour in and depending on traffic, usually 45 minutes out. Car pools are easier to come by in San Rafael than Sausalito because more people live out there. The crime rate is high right around Ridgeway...but there are four or five families down there now. There are about twenty families in San Rafael right now. About six are moving out of a place called Lone Palm. It is around $1000/month for a two bedroom. If you need info, PM me.

Looks like I'm done thinking about my options and now I'm proud to say I'm joining the UOP family! Got accepted at UCLA, Case, Boston U, and waitlisted at Harvard... and I can't say I have any regrets or doubts about my decision.

See you guys soon

Pine you owe me a beer

Looks like I'm done thinking about my options and now I'm proud to say I'm joining the UOP family! Got accepted at UCLA, Case, Boston U, and waitlisted at Harvard... and I can't say I have any regrets or doubts about my decision.

See you guys soon

Pine you owe me a beer

Welcome Pilot Mike! Are you air force or what?

HAY GUYS,

Did anybody else notice that we need to get B's in our remaining classes? This makes me sad.

The only problem with living farther is that your schedule is a little dictated by your carpool mates. It really depends how much time you'll need to work on lab stuff, but it's hard to tell until you start. I live about 3 miles away from school, but with traffic, it still takes me 15 min or so on my motorcycle. I usually spent and hour or two every day after school and maybe 3-4 hours on Saturday to get caught up with everything during first year. I believe Javadi used to like to come to school really early to work on lab stuff before class, that way he didn't have to stay at night. Definitely PM him to get a feel of what the schedule might be like commuting from Marin.

Welcome Pilot Mike! Are you air force or what?

Nope, l've been civilian since I started flying in high school. I just did Army JROTC in high school and that was enough to deter me from the military. I see you're signed up to go into the Army afterwards, which is cool since I think you start as an O-2 or O-3 I believe.

See you in about... 7 months or so. Anyone know what day we start or when the white coat ceremony is?

See you in about... 7 months or so. Anyone know what day we start or when the white coat ceremony is?

Looking at the Pacific calendar, I would say your first day of school will be Friday, July 6th. The second and third year students won't start until the 9th.

The white coat ceremony will be sometime that first week, and it is for the D2 students starting to see patients in clinic. First years must prove themselves before getting a nice spiffy coat! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking at the Pacific calendar, I would say your first day of school will be Friday, July 6th. The second and third year students won't start until the 9th.

The white coat ceremony will be sometime that first week, and it is for the D2 students starting to see patients in clinic. First years must prove themselves before getting a nice spiffy coat! :laugh:

didn't know that about the D2 students...but muchos gracias.

See you guys soon

Pine you owe me a beer

Yay :) :D :) The beer is yours, just tell me when

Hey guys, been doing a little research and have had some information thrown my way about the Presidio. Apparently the apartments have quite a pest problem, especially the rats and ants. So... I think that I am leaning more towards San Rafael and carpooling. Anyone else?

I am just hoping that I get picked for the Pacific apartments because I dont want to have to go through the hassel. I'm going to put my search on hold until after I hear back from pacific in April (i think). Good luck in your search jmick.

Hey guys, been doing a little research and have had some information thrown my way about the Presidio. Apparently the apartments have quite a pest problem, especially the rats and ants. So... I think that I am leaning more towards San Rafael and carpooling. Anyone else?

Rats mmmmm...free protein :D

I'm with GoDucks, going to wait for the lottery first. Good luck

I was going to do the lottery for the pacific apartments but then I found out my wife was pregnant. I am now going to live in San Rafeal and hopefully take over one of my friend's leases who are D3's this year. We will see what happens. When are you guys going to go out and start checking around to hopefully secure a place?

I am just hoping that I get picked for the Pacific apartments because I dont want to have to go through the hassel. I'm going to put my search on hold until after I hear back from pacific in April (i think). Good luck in your search jmick.

Man, I would be in those Pacific apartments in a heartbeat if I could. They dont allow kids, so I am out of that one. If it was just yours truly, I would find the cheapest studio apartment within walking distance of the school, sell my car and get a bus pass. But, with a family you have to look at things differently. Like, I dont want government protected rodents carrying away my son or ants eating my dinner. I think that I am just going to have to have a half hour of commuting both ways everyday. Oh well.

I was going to do the lottery for the pacific apartments but then I found out my wife was pregnant. I am now going to live in San Rafeal and hopefully take over one of my friend's leases who are D3's this year. We will see what happens. When are you guys going to go out and start checking around to hopefully secure a place?

Not really sure actually. Maybe in April or May.

Man, I would be in those Pacific apartments in a heartbeat if I could. They dont allow kids, so I am out of that one. If it was just yours truly, I would find the cheapest studio apartment within walking distance of the school, sell my car and get a bus pass. But, with a family you have to look at things differently. Like, I dont want government protected rodents carrying away my son or ants eating my dinner. I think that I am just going to have to eat a half hour of commuting both ways everyday. Oh well.

You can just hide your children at the apartments. Your secret is safe with me.

I stayed in the presidio apts when I went for my interview. The budy i stayed with never mentioned any problems with rats or ants and i didnt see any. But at the same time i didnt ask if they were having any pest problems.
Just throwing that out there. maybe i should call him and ask

You can just hide your children at the apartments. Your secret is safe with me.

Yeah i've been hiding a cat in my apartment for awhile. Just gotta teach your kid to not look out the window and to never cry. O, and when I take the cat out of the house for a vet visit or something...I have to put him in a gym bag. So you'll have to work something out like that also, lol

Yeah i've been hiding a cat in my apartment for awhile. Just gotta teach your kid to not look out the window and to never cry. O, and when I take the cat out of the house for a vet visit or something...I have to put him in a gym bag. So you'll have to work something out like that also, lol

Hey Wiz are you applying for Pacific Apartments? I read that they do not accept pets. My wife has a cat and we might let her parents adopt it for a few years if we get in there. I am thinking about maybe hiding it. Probably a little easier to do than small children.

Hey Wiz are you applying for Pacific Apartments? I read that they do not accept pets. My wife has a cat and we might let her parents adopt it for a few years if we get in there. I am thinking about maybe hiding it. Probably a little easier to do than small children.

Yeah no pets. Luckily none of my pets are mine. I just take care of them until they get adopted...it's a great way to have pets while in college!!

I stayed in the presidio apts when I went for my interview. The budy i stayed with never mentioned any problems with rats or ants and i didnt see any. But at the same time i didnt ask if they were having any pest problems.
Just throwing that out there. maybe i should call him and ask

Let me know how that goes. If they have taken care of those problems Presidio would still be pretty high on the list of places to live.

Presidio is such a sweet location also. I am sure you have a ton of fog to deal with because you are the first to get hit by it when it rolls in and the last to get hit by it when it roles out. I was there in late October to interview and the weather was perfect. It would be a cool place to have the family but it is to bad that us students will only get to enjoy the location at night after a long day of school.

Presidio is such a sweet location also. I am sure you have a ton of fog to deal with because you are the first to get hit by it when it rolls in and the last to get hit by it when it roles out. I was there in late October to interview and the weather was perfect. It would be a cool place to have the family but it is to bad that us students will only get to enjoy the location at night after a long day of school.

I regret not visiting the Presidio now. I went all over San Fran except Presidio.

In a few lines, what is it about Prisidio you like over the apartments? Or just in general what do you like about it. I have read over the website on it but that's about it.

Thanks!

I regret not visiting the Presidio now. I went all over San Fran except Presidio.

In a few lines, what is it about Prisidio you like over the apartments? Or just in general what do you like about it. I have read over the website on it but that's about it.

Thanks!

Someone who actually lives in the Presidio should probably answer this question, but I will take a stab at it. The Presidio was a military base and has been converted into a National Park. It has museums, a national cemetery, a private police system, and a bunch of other things. They pay for the park by renting out apartments. The apartments seem pretty nice, my wife and I took a tour of them when we visited in the summer. They have hardwood floors, washer/dryer hook ups, and pretty competitive pricing for the area. There are also tons of other dental families for your spouse to hang with. Most importantly, it has the feel of being away from the city which I think is a huge plus. There isnt much around the Baker Beach apartments for a couple miles except for the Pacific Ocean.

The rest of the things, the ants, the rats, etc is heresay, but it comes from a reliable source. I have also heard that since it is overflow housing from UCSF that you get the occasional "I am so drunk, WAHHOOO" at three am. But again, this is mostly heresay so take it for what its worth.

I liked the area because it seems to be a town amidst the big city. It is relaxed and you are not surrounded by all of the big buildings of the city. You can also hear the ocean crashing against the rocks at night and that sort of tranquility is something that I really enjoy. As much as I like the Presidio, I probably won't be living there due to the price tag. I need to do a little more research on other areas.

Ya, i agree with Jmick and cbc. its like being in a whole different city when ur in the presidio, its pretty secluded from everything. but if your going to take the bus to school its about a 10 min walk to the bus stop and around a 15 min bus ride. im sure the apts are much closer and faster, which might be nice for the first year.

Ya, i agree with Jmick and cbc. its like being in a whole different city when ur in the presidio, its pretty secluded from everything. but if your going to take the bus to school its about a 10 min walk to the bus stop and around a 15 min bus ride. im sure the apts are much closer and faster, which might be nice for the first year.

Yeah the apartments took me 10 mins to walk on the day of my interview. It was a nice walk also. I figure I should live at least a 10 min walk away from school because that's the only exercise I bet I'll get.

Does anybody have a Nintendo DS? If so, do you play RPGs? I just found out that DQIX is coming exclusively to DS with four player action via wifi. There has to be at least one other person who would be willing to play with me.

Hey Dude!

Sorry for the late reply, but it looks like people are giving you good advice. The Ridgeway seems like a cool spot for someone in your situation. Anywhere decent in SF is going to cost $$$. For a family though, if you did want to stay in the city, I would recommend the outer Sunset or the outer Richmond districts. The outer Richmond district is just north of GG park and stretches from Stanyan all the way west until Ocean Beach. Reasonable prices, quiet, and relatively close to Pac Heights.

Hey Dude!

Sorry for the late reply, but it looks like people are giving you good advice. The Ridgeway seems like a cool spot for someone in your situation. Anywhere decent in SF is going to cost $$$. For a family though, if you did want to stay in the city, I would recommend the outer Sunset or the outer Richmond districts. The outer Richmond district is just north of GG park and stretches from Stanyan all the way west until Ocean Beach. Reasonable prices, quiet, and relatively close to Pac Heights.

Well, If I can't live in Presidio, I am not going to live in SF. I think that I would develop urban claustraphobia and go insane. My wife and I have narrowed it down to Presidio or San Rafael.

Well, If I can't live in Presidio, I am not going to live in SF. I think that I would develop urban claustraphobia and go insane. My wife and I have narrowed it down to Presidio or San Rafael.

Dude nice pick of John, got to love those shorts. Anyway good luck with the apartment search.

Thanks, and any friend of Stock is a friend of mine:thumbup:

He is a good man. My friends and I used to play this xbox game called NBA Ballers and we would all choose John Stockton every time we played. So 3 Johns were constantly battling at my place...good times.

I just discovered this and it made me all warm and fuzzy inside

O good. I've only been to 2 of the bars in the area, but I'll have to check out that one and Tommy Tequila as well! I had some Tai beer last time I was in and it made me sick as hell. haha, the night before I was to meet with Dr. Yarborough I'm sick off of some crazy beer.

Is Tommy Tequila's one of the places where you can get a master's and PhD in Tequila if you drink a large enough selection of their tequilas? Cause I need something to hang on the wall next to my dental degree when I start my private practice.

Is Tommy Tequila's one of the places where you can get a master's and PhD in Tequila if you drink a large enough selection of their tequilas? Cause I need something to hang on the wall next to my dental degree when I start my private practice.

It sure is! They also have Tequilapalooza. Although I can't find anything about it....just that it exists.

Tequila would be a nice way to start our first year of dental school.

Tequila would be a nice way to start our first year of dental school.

gears grinding....hmmm sounds like we got an idea brewing. Preparty in the pacific apartments with a follow up to Tommy's? Get started on our Masters a day before we get started on our doctorates in dentistry?

Oh, and I realize I have posted a lot about having parties and drinking, but I just want to confirm, I am not an alcoholic or a drunk. I'm not encouraging dangerous behavior and am usually good about making sure others with me don't get too inebriated. I'm just a social drinker who likes to have a good time.

ooo, I love Tequila. Had a couple of Patron shots last night.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0rMkt3uB9c[/YOUTUBE]

Am I going to get in trouble for posting this?
I looked through the rules and nothing said no tequila ads : )

I think that commercial just turned me into an alcoholic. Might have some tequila at work.

I was thinking of going.