Official NBME details from AAOMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How exactly is the exam scored? Out of 100? Out of 245? I know the first is the old NBDE and the second is USMLE Step 1 (I believe).

Members don't see this ad.

You misread... The med schools will not be able to see it...the omfs programs still can

Where did you get this information from? I personally called AAOMS, spoke with the director of advanced education and resident affairs and he said that " Programs will not see your scores" you decide if you want to send your scores to the programs.

Where did you get this information from? I personally called AAOMS, spoke with the director of advanced education and resident affairs and he said that " Programs will not see your scores" you decide if you want to send your scores to the programs.

it's stated explicity on the NBME page on AAOMS's website:

"A copy of the score report will also be provided to the AAOMS. CBSE scores will not be available to medical schools"

http://www.aaoms.org/nbme.php

by "programs" he means the associated med school. obviously the oms program will see the score.

Members don't see this ad :)
it's stated explicity on the NBME page on AAOMS's website:

"A copy of the score report will also be provided to the AAOMS. CBSE scores will not be available to medical schools"

http://www.aaoms.org/nbme.php

by "programs" he means the associated med school. obviously the oms program will see the score.

Just to clarify your confusion and that of everyone else about NBME test scores, here is AAMOS response forwarded to me via email.

Score reports include a numeric total score as well as a performance profile with bands that indicate areas of relative strength and weakness. All exam scores will be available within one week of the exam. You will receive an email from NBME notifying you that your score report is available along with the specific information on how to retrieve your report.

Two weeks after the exam, the AAOMS will forward you a program selection form where you will indicate which OMS programs you wish your score to be forwarded to. The AAOMS will forward your score reports directly to the OMS programs on your behalf. Only your highest score needs to be reported. If you participate in the exam and do not receive a score that you are happy with, your score does not have to be reported.

Hitting the final week home stretch!!!! Is anyone else's brain as fried as mine?

Once you guys take the test, it would be awesome if you posted the average score and ranges. I am sure you will receive this with with the score report that will be available to you after a week of taking the test.

I'll be honest... I am getting an average of 40% correct on timed (no tutor) mixed subject mode. That's not all that great if you compare it to the overall average, but not sure of how that compares to other dental test takers... Others?

Same here, in mixed subject mode (since I'm imagining that is how the test will be) I'm at about the same. The avg med student seems to score about 60%. The amount of testable material is tremendous over what is taught in dental school. It will be interesting to see how this goes :)

Thanks for posting. If the sample (n=2) so far is any indicator, then about 40-45% might be the average (or above, as sdn posters generally have higher scores on tests, such as the DAT). I think this correlates to a score of about 190-200 on the actual step 1. It will be interesting how the actual averages turn out, and how the averages of those who get in compare to the average MS USMLE test taker.

I am not sure what the NBME will mean when it comes to applications. How much weight will they place on this test? I would expect the test will result in less people applying, due to another barrier to applying. However, this might not be much. Anyway, it would be nice to see others preparing for the test to post their UWorld percentages.

I'm definitely in to discuss scores and give a breakdown of study habits, etc. I think it would be a great tool for future test takers to use. Hopefully this thread will get stickied afterwards!

My average is around 45% for UWorld. This is misleading, however, because I definitely know more now than I did when I started. This last week, I am definitely focusing more on the basics. I feel like the test will hammer those harder than the "fluff" that World can throw at you.

As far as the "weight" the test will hold, I think it can be a tool to help an applicant. This test assesses a student's ability to essentially prepare for the Step 1 while doing clinical work - a setup that many 6 year programs will have. At least this is what I tell myself as I look out the library window as summer is fading away :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm definitely in to discuss scores and give a breakdown of study habits, etc. I think it would be a great tool for future test takers to use. Hopefully this thread will get stickied afterwards!

My average is around 45% for UWorld. This is misleading, however, because I definitely know more now than I did when I started. This last week, I am definitely focusing more on the basics. I feel like the test will hammer those harder than the "fluff" that World can throw at you.

How have you been doing (percentage wise) more recently?

has anyone taking the Uworld self-assessment exams or the nbme exams?

I can see 6yr programs placing much more weight on this than NBDE. Many 6yr programs said having 90+ NBDE correlated with successfully passing Step 1. NBME is a much better correlation with Step 1 than NBDE. I'm not sure what 4yr programs will make of it.

I'm also not quite sure why some programs this year have listed GREs as a requirement and why so many have listed DATs. Both seem to play a rather small role in OMFS.

How have you been doing (percentage wise) more recently?

I don't really have a solid percentage. I am using questions from UWorld and another question bank based at my school to just test my understanding of certain concepts. All my blocks are untimed and on Tutor mode.

You guys really ought to do timed random to get the most out of it. Going by subjects is a good study tool but tells you little about how much you actually know.
I hope you guys are taking old nbme exams too. There are lots online.

You guys really ought to do timed random to get the most out of it. Going by subjects is a good study tool but tells you little about how much you actually know.
I hope you guys are taking old nbme exams too. There are lots online.

Have you any idea of how the residents scored on this test or were the results not released? How have the averages been for residents that took the USMLE? It seems like the scores might be around 200 on the USMLE based on the uworld to USLME formula (UWorld% * 2.4) + 84.

I don't believe an avg for OMS has ever been released. But I can tell you that the last couple years we have had scores range from 214 to 271. The average being probably 225 at my residency program.

I don't believe an avg for OMS has ever been released. But I can tell you that the last couple years we have had scores range from 214 to 271. The average being probably 225 at my residency program.

If you dont mind me asking, which program are you a resident at?

:eek:

PRS/ENT can't even shake a stick at that.

Oh yes they can. They avg in the 240-250 range. That said, I'm happy with what our guys do seeing as there is basically no incentive to do really well.

In regards to the other question, I'm at the premier training program in the country... and it has absolutely nothing to do with step 1 scores.

In regards to the other question, I'm at the premier training program in the country... and it has absolutely nothing to do with step 1 scores.

How can it have absolutely nothing to do w/ step 1 scores? Assuming you're at premier program in country...the program will typically take the top applicants which translates into brighter and harder working individuals who will naturally score higher on this test.

How can it have absolutely nothing to do w/ step 1 scores? Assuming you're at premier program in country...the program will typically take the top applicants which translates into brighter and harder working individuals who will naturally score higher on this test.

Though this is off topic, I can't fully agree with your claim. The PD at Scarn's program has put an emphasis on the residents to take the Step I/med school experience seriously. I think he's of the mindset that you shouldn't go half-hearted in any endeavor you do at this level - and I tend to agree with him. I believe the residents were given up to a whole month off to prepare for the test without clinical obligations and proceeded to POWN the exam accordingly.

But I really think it is based on what your PD/higher-ups emphasize. Some programs don't really care what your score is as long as you pass. I think with the advent of the NBME Step I scores from future OMFS residents will now rise since it won't be their first rodeo.

But I really think it is based on what your PD/higher-ups emphasize. Some programs don't really care what your score is as long as you pass. I think with the advent of the NBME Step I scores from future OMFS residents will now rise since it won't be their first rodeo.

I agree. as progressively painful as it's been the past few months, i definitely appreciate the process and i see this really raising the caliber of medical knowledge that future OMS's will bring to the table.

Last edited:
At this point I can't really read anything else. I'm just literally looking at words for recognition purposes :) Is everyone taking the exam at the same time nationally (12 pm EST)?

At this point I can't really read anything else. I'm just literally looking at words for recognition purposes :) Is everyone taking the exam at the same time nationally (12 pm EST)?

It's 8:00am for me. Have you guys taken the uwsa?

mines 12:30 EST.
I am so screwed for tomorrow. def. not aimed towards your standard dental curriculum.
just doing many questions as possible and word recognition. i just want to get over with. hopefully my 90 on part 1 will be good enough now.

I didn't. How was that exam? Is it similar in scope/difficulty?

I dont know if it's similar to the nbme because I didn't have time for both, but it's easier than the Uworld qbank. It also gives you a score afterward to 'approximate' how you will perform on the real test.

Last edited:
tumblr_loqi4f0FG41qmfoslo1_400.gif

it's the final countdown guys n gals!

Good luck tomorrow, everybody.

After you're done, it would be great if everyone posted their experiences in terms of preparation (what sources you used, question banks, etc) and overall thoughts on the exam itself. This thread could be a great source for others in the future who want to know how to prepare.

Good luck tomorrow, everybody.

After you're done, it would be great if everyone posted their experiences in terms of preparation (what sources you used, question banks, etc) and overall thoughts on the exam itself. This thread could be a great source for others in the future who want to know how to prepare.

:thumbup:

After you all get your scores, maybe you could provide the score, Uworld/test bank averages, materials used, and the rating for the materials used.

It is over! Will post my thought on the exam later on if I'm not busy compensating my sleep deprivation.

Ho. Lee. Schitt. That was an Akin certifies legitimate rape.

my brief thought about the exam
-it is hard, questions are similar in difficulty to the qbank
-you need to know a lot of drugs
-there is no "buzzword" on the exam (like "cafe-au lait", "caseous necrosis", etc. Rather, you are provided a lengthy description of the disease, or a description of the histology staining)
- a few questions have irrelevant information just to burn your precious time.

i share the same feelings.

- it was rough, harder than i expected.
- studied First aid + Uworld + goljan
- above poster was right --> not alot of buzz words which made it even harder.

will be interesting to see the results.

Can you guys post how long you prepared for this test?