*Official May 19th 2017 MCAT Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fortyniner85

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen a thread for this date created yet. So let the fun begin!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Whattt how are you guys so far along? I just signed up for this date today and am starting content review as soon as I get home from work...

ETA: That little 7+ year member banner under my username is such a sad little reminder that I failed at getting things done 7 years ago... Yayyy for being old -_-

Whattt how are you guys so far along? I just signed up for this date today and am starting content review as soon as I get home from work...

ETA: That little 7+ year member banner under my username is such a sad little reminder that I failed at getting things done 7 years ago... Yayyy for being old -_-
You didn't fail you just took a little longer to get to your path. I am also in the same situation. I started studying for this exam a few years ago and could not really put in the time to be successful. This time I have no other priorities but teaching my class and studying for this thing for the LAST TIME.

Hi everyone, I have not registered for the exam yet but I will as I get closer to finishing my content review. This is not my first rodeo with this beast but hopefully this will be the last time I have to sit for the MCAT.

The Material I am using are as follows:
2015 Kaplan MCAT Set
Kaplan Quickbooks
NS S&P SET
TPRH Science 2015
TPRH Verbal 2015
TPRH ICC
TPRH Q & A booklet
2015 EK Set*
2013 TBR Set*
EK 1001 Set *

The Top seven will be my main set for resources to study for the exam. The bottom three I will only use for extra resources. I will also use KA videos and problem sets. I also have the AAMC Flash Cards, and Problem sets. I have an overload of material to study for this exam due to attempting to study for this thing so many times.:( However I am staying positive and ready to conquer it.

Good Luck to everyone and I look forward to working with you all as study hard to kill this exam. :)

Hi everyone, I have not registered for the exam yet but I will as I get closer to finishing my content review. This is not my first rodeo with this beast but hopefully this will be the last time I have to sit for the MCAT.

The Material I am using are as follows:
2015 Kaplan MCAT Set
Kaplan Quickbooks
NS S&P SET
TPRH Science 2015
TPRH Verbal 2015
TPRH ICC
TPRH Q & A booklet
2015 EK Set*
2013 TBR Set*
EK 1001 Set *

The Top seven will be my main set for resources to study for the exam. The bottom three I will only use for extra resources. I will also use KA videos and problem sets. I also have the AAMC Flash Cards, and Problem sets. I have an overload of material to study for this exam due to attempting to study for this thing so many times.:( However I am staying positive and ready to conquer it.

Good Luck to everyone and I look forward to working with you all as study hard to kill this exam. :)

I am curious what exactly the 2013 TBR set is. The books underwent updates at different times and there is no set for a given year, yet people keep putting a date to them. What color are your book covers?

I am curious what exactly the 2013 TBR set is. The books underwent updates at different times and there is no set for a given year, yet people keep putting a date to them. What color are your book covers?

my books are tan colored exterior with different colors for each topic. I brought them in 2013 and at the time I was told that was the updated books for that year.

I am planning on taking it on 05/19 as well and I started studying a couple of weeks ago. I need to be more consistent though but my full time job gets in the way sometimes. Good luck everyone!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys if you are taking the exam in May it could be tempting to also worry about your application. I highly, highly recommend that you do not think about your application until you take the exam. The moment you are done with the exam, work on your personal statement and everything else (LORs might be the only exception).

Schools do not care about your application compared to your scores (MCAT/GPA). If you don't have the scores, it doesn't matter how well written your personal statement is or how much it might make me cry after I read it. They will probably never even read it if you can't show them you are capable of handling the academic rigors of medicine. Focus 100% of your premedical efforts into the MCAT till you are done. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Hello All!

I'm 2 weeks into the content review, and I plan to start the practice exams during week 5 or 6!

I've played around with the idea of med school for years! Now I'm ready to get down to business. I graduated college with a BS in Biology 6 years ago. So the materials aren't that fresh.

I'm using Varsity Tutors, Kaplan Review 2015 set and supplementing with EK and Khan Academy.

Best of luck to all of you! You can do it!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

May 18th here....close enough though! Starting studying last week, still trying to figure out exactly what schedule will work best for me. Good luck everyone :)

Checking in!
May 19th test date. I'm trying to make this the last I see of this exam. Best of luck to everyone!

I'm doing the May 19 date too. 3rd time taking the exam (508, 506 so far). Using EK books and Altius online materials this time around.

Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
@imapiya, that hurts that this is your third time. I want to make sure this is your last. Did you buy an online Altius program (MCAT Everywhere) or just the online practice exams? Either way, we kind of make it "our thing" to take kids who are on a 3rd or 4th attempt and turn things around. One of my fellow tutors took it three times, stalled in the low 500s, then took Altius and got a 520. We love those stories, and we REJECT the idea that this exam is insurmountable for anyone.

Keep me posted on your progress and feel free to PM me any time.

May 13th here. Seems so close, yet so far away!!

Does anyone know where I can find specific passages on content I've recently reviewed? I'm using TPR and they only have one passage after the chapter. I would like a few practice passages after I just reviewed a topic. For example, say I just reviewed Acids and Bases, where could find a few practice pass strictly on Acids and Bases

Khan academy is organized by topic and they have lots of practice questions. Or you could try tracking down a chemistry textbook and do practice questions to get your calculations straight..

I'm signed up for the May 19th exam, too! I did the B/B section bank last night and it was eye opening! Has anyone else ventured into the section banks yet?

Hello All!

I'm 2 weeks into the content review, and I plan to start the practice exams during week 5 or 6!

I've played around with the idea of med school for years! Now I'm ready to get down to business. I graduated college with a BS in Biology 6 years ago. So the materials aren't that fresh.

I'm using Varsity Tutors, Kaplan Review 2015 set and supplementing with EK and Khan Academy.

Best of luck to all of you! You can do it!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Hi,
If you don't mind me asking, what is content review? I am registered to start the prep course May 1, and planning on taking the MCAT on August 3.

:woot: Signed up for this date as well, first go around. Let's keep positive and confident; We've got this ;) (NS Content Review and Strategy and Practice for All Subjects, Kaplan Supplement for OChem, KA and Kaplan Flash Cards from a Fellow Applicant); Working Full Time...the juggle:roflcopter:

:woot: Signed up for this date as well, first go around. Let's keep positive and confident; We've got this ;) (NS Content Review and Strategy and Practice for All Subjects, Kaplan Supplement for OChem, KA and Kaplan Flash Cards from a Fellow Applicant); Working Full Time...the juggle:roflcopter:

Hey buddy i'm right there with ya! Working full-time and trying to tackle this beast is no joke!!!! How long has it been since you graduated

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Really (happy)freaking out!! I just took the AAMC Scored 1, and the whole time I was thinking "I hope I can squeeze out a 510 on this," and I somehow managed a 519!!! 127/132/131/129! I graduated undergrad 16 years ago and haven't been feeling too confident with my content review and study hours, so I was very surprised. I hope that doesn't seem like an annoying brag, but I had to tell someone who would get it, and I don't really know any premeds. Haha
AAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Reactions: 10 users
Really (happy)freaking out!! I just took the AAMC Scored 1, and the whole time I was thinking "I hope I can squeeze out a 510 on this," and I somehow managed a 519!!! 127/132/131/129! I graduated undergrad 16 years ago and haven't been feeling too confident with my content review and study hours, so I was very surprised. I hope that doesn't seem like an annoying brag, but I had to tell someone who would get it, and I don't really know any premeds. Haha
AAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Beautiful CARS score. Any advice for a CARS struggler?

For CARS, I read the passage pretty carefully, and then go back to the passage on each question to verify my answer with evidence, except for the 'main thesis' questions. That whole section is just learning how to see through BS, and I have a lot of experience with that. The analogy/hypothetical questions are just tough, because it seems like it all depends on how you look at it and multiple answers could be right, etc - I think there's some luck there, but also thinking in terms of boiling things down to their essence or main function. Khan academy has a ton of free practice CARS passages - check them out if you haven't already!

Hey buddy i'm right there with ya! Working full-time and trying to tackle this beast is no joke!!!! How long has it been since you graduated

Graduated a little late in 2013 due to family health matters but really started college in 2004. So its been 11 - 12 years since I've had these classes :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone,

I will also be writing the MCAT May 19, currently working full time so it's a little tricky to study. Goodluck to everyone studying :)

AAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

I bet that felt good! Would you mind sharing how you did on any other practice exams if you took any? Like Kaplan/NS/TPR etc.

HELP
I'm testing May 19th and I don't know what I'm doing wrong..
I review FL which I take once a week and spend about 25 hours a week studying. I started in January. I have taken all my prereqs with a 3.96 GPA. I like to think have good study habits and I'm usually pretty good at test taking. Here are my practice exams scores.

KaplanDiag 123 121 121 124 489
KapFL1 123 125 123 122 493
NSDiag 123 123 125 126 497
KapFL2 124 124 122 124 494
KapFL3 122 122 124 125 493
NSFL1 125 125 126 127 503
KapFL4 124 124 126 125 499
KapFL5 125 124 124 124 497

I feel like I know the material but I just get lost in the passages. Idek whats going on, but I gotta fix this and FAST. SOS. How accurate are the kaplan exams? Should I be worried?

HELP
I'm testing May 19th and I don't know what I'm doing wrong..
I review FL which I take once a week and spend about 25 hours a week studying. I started in January. I have taken all my prereqs with a 3.96 GPA. I like to think have good study habits and I'm usually pretty good at test taking. Here are my practice exams scores.

KaplanDiag 123 121 121 124 489
KapFL1 123 125 123 122 493
NSDiag 123 123 125 126 497
KapFL2 124 124 122 124 494
KapFL3 122 122 124 125 493
NSFL1 125 125 126 127 503
KapFL4 124 124 126 125 499
KapFL5 125 124 124 124 497

I feel like I know the material but I just get lost in the passages. Idek whats going on, but I gotta fix this and FAST. SOS. How accurate are the kaplan exams? Should I be worried?

General consensus is that tests like Kaplan and TPR are much harder than the real exam, and scores are deflated. NS scores are supposed to be better predicators, but the best thing to do would be to take an AAMC practice test to get a better prediction.

I bet that felt good! Would you mind sharing how you did on any other practice exams if you took any? Like Kaplan/NS/TPR etc.

I've only taken the NS Diagnostic (509) in January (I think), and the AAMC Unscored in February (got 514ish with conversion tables). I'm going to take a NS full length this weekend, too. My CP always sucks, my CARS is usually my best score, and the other two are in the middle. Each time I've gotten a good score I'm completely shocked, though - I always feel like I have no idea about anything during the test!

Taking the MCAT on May 18th. Non trad here, been out of school for 12 years. Been scoring a range between 508 to 520 on various diagnostic tests. I am starting to feel sick to my stomach as the date comes close. The unknowns scare the absolute S*** out of me.
Prepping using EK books, Khan Academy and AAMC materials.

Taking the MCAT on May 18th. Non trad here, been out of school for 12 years. Been scoring a range between 508 to 520 on various diagnostic tests. I am starting to feel sick to my stomach as the date comes close. The unknowns scare the absolute S*** out of me.

Those are great practice test scores! You got this -- stay confident!

Awesome scores! Taking the test the same day as you...good luck!

I'm also a mom who's been out of school for more than a decade! My scores have been 509-519 so far. It really is nerve-wracking! I dream of getting a 520 (don't we all?) but there's just no way of knowing what will be on your exact exam on test day. It's hard to study enough without getting burned out, too!

I'm also a mom who's been out of school for more than a decade! My scores have been 509-519 so far. It really is nerve-wracking! I dream of getting a 520 (don't we all?) but there's just no way of knowing what will be on your exact exam on test day. It's hard to study enough without getting burned out, too!
I am super impressed by you (both of you moms) and you should be too! Those are incredible scores for being out of school and I'm sure studying while being a mom is super hard. Considering practice exam scores are usually deflated, those scores are awesome and you definitely have a chance of 520! Don't get burned out, you're awesome and you'll be done soon with a fantastic score, I'm sure :)

Hi there! Congrats on some awesome test scores! What practice exams are you using?

Hi there! Congrats on some awesome test scores! What practice exams are you using?

So far just Next Step and AAMC. I may not get around to using other companies, with finals coming up before the MCAT! NS tests have been 509-511, AAMC's were 514 (that was from the unscored test, using reddit conversion tables) and 519 on the scored FL1. Section banks have been rough. Around 80% on those so far. I will say I'm glad I took biochemistry this semester - it's definitely helping.

I am super impressed by you (both of you moms) and you should be too! Those are incredible scores for being out of school and I'm sure studying while being a mom is super hard. Considering practice exam scores are usually deflated, those scores are awesome and you definitely have a chance of 520! Don't get burned out, you're awesome and you'll be done soon with a fantastic score, I'm sure :)

Thank you!! It can be tough with kids - I had my 4 year old and 2 year old literally climbing on me when I took the AAMC FL1. That may not be the recommended test prep strategy.. haha
I plan to take off and be somewhere that's more like the actual testing environment when I take the AAMC FL2, probably 4 or 5 days before the real thing. I need to get through finals before I take that one. Anyone else getting nervous with our test date just a few weeks away?

Help again.
So my last few FL scores have been a 497, 499, and 501 on Kaplan FLs and then I scored a 503 on the AAMC FL1 today. With my test date May 19, I'm getting concerned. Should I reschedule?
I feel strong on content and more weak in my test taking skills and understanding exactly what the question is asking. Typically if I get a question wrong, it is because I misunderstood the question. If I reschedule, I would pick a date sometime before June 10th. Would this make much of a difference? What should I do?

Currently on the 5th stage of grief: acceptance, wbu?

EDIT: oops i'm actually May 13th, this is awk. This is why my CARS score are always so low

Help again.
So my last few FL scores have been a 497, 499, and 501 on Kaplan FLs and then I scored a 503 on the AAMC FL1 today. With my test date May 19, I'm getting concerned. Should I reschedule?
I feel strong on content and more weak in my test taking skills and understanding exactly what the question is asking. Typically if I get a question wrong, it is because I misunderstood the question. If I reschedule, I would pick a date sometime before June 10th. Would this make much of a difference? What should I do?
In a similar boat as you...scored 72.5% on the unscored FL...reddit converters put it at a predicted 509. But, then I took the scored FL 1 and got a 505, which was 72.25%-- admittedly, when reviewing, I made a lot of really stupid mistake (there were a few questions where I literally had the right answer highlighted in the passage but still picked the wrong answer...). I took it after a late night out and I could feel myself losing focus so I'm hoping it was a fluke.

I'm the opposite of you though. I tend to do really well with the reasoning questions, averaging around 1-2 questions wrong per passage but I get a lot of the free standing questions wrong, which are based mostly in content knowledge.

I am still planning on taking the test. There's still around 2 weeks of study time left and each time I go over my mistakes I feel like I am getting better at answering these types of questions. I think you should take it, submit your application to a throwaway school so it gets verified in time, and then if you're happy with your score you can submit to more schools. If not, you can retake. But, depending on your state, a 503 with good stats otherwise should be able to get you into a DO program, so that is worth looking into as well.