OFFICIAL Loyola Stritch SOM class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm in at Loyola, but I'm waiting to hear from Georgetown where I'm also real interested. SDN has totally tilted the scales. While the GT posts seem so boring and frustrated, I feel like I'm in for a bunch of cool-ass people if I go to Loyola. What is the deal with second-looks at Loyola and how do you go aobut setting them up?

Members don't see this ad.

clowden said:
I'm in at Loyola, but I'm waiting to hear from Georgetown where I'm also real interested. SDN has totally tilted the scales. While the GT posts seem so boring and frustrated, I feel like I'm in for a bunch of cool-ass people if I go to Loyola. What is the deal with second-looks at Loyola and how do you go aobut setting them up?

So you really need a second look? Hehe, I mean what more could you ask for than lecture halls with huge windows so you see daylight, clean new labs, a week off every 10 weeks, and students that seemed happy, yes HAPPY during medical school. I have contacted several and not one of them has told me they were disappointed with Loyola. In terms of cities, I think Chicago is a lot more livable than the DC area, and the people more chilled in general. But to answer your question, Loyola does let people come back and see it a second time if they so choose. Just call the admissions office and you can shadow for a day, etc. Also if you just want to talk to a med student of any year at Loyola you can contact the admissions office and they will give your name and contact to a student. For instance I wanted to talk to a third or forth year to find out more about how Loyola preps its students for boards (which by the way, they all said that Loyola prepares people VERY well and only like 1 or 2 students fail each year).

Good luck in making your final decision! It feels so good once you have it settled.

just contact rose or matt in the admissions office. they'll help you plan some things for a second look. or ask one of us current students from SDN to show you around or whatever. but it totally depends on what you need to see while you're there to help tilt the scales one direction or another to help you make the decision. feel free to ask any of us current students if you have any questions. and yes, we do like it here. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
brats800 said:
just contact rose or matt in the admissions office. they'll help you plan some things for a second look. or ask one of us current students from SDN to show you around or whatever. but it totally depends on what you need to see while you're there to help tilt the scales one direction or another to help you make the decision. feel free to ask any of us current students if you have any questions. and yes, we do like it here. :)

What is the Oak Park area like in terms of living? It was recommended to me because it is a good location that makes accessing the med school as well as the hospitals we will do rotations at easy. Do you agree?

spanbutterfly said:
What is the Oak Park area like in terms of living? It was recommended to me because it is a good location that makes accessing the med school as well as the hospitals we will do rotations at easy. Do you agree?

oak park is really nice. its pretty close to school (a couple miles, depending on where in oak park you live) and some of the hospitals you'll rotate at are in oak park. forest park is a bit closer but not as nice....oak park is more historic/artsy. lots of restaurants in oak park...more bars in forest park. if you have kids, the oak park school district is better, but therefore the taxes are higher in oak park. i chose a place in forest park more for the distance from school and cost than anything else. i really liked oak park and would be very happy if i lived there. also, if you're looking for places to live, you could look at north riverside, which is also really close to school and has a bit more 'residential' feel to it, rather than all the appts and condos in oak park/forest park. good luck and keep asking questions if you have any.

No one posts anymore :( Are we losing our enthusiam? Kidding. Just thought I'd say hi to anyone like me who procrastinates by coming on this site hehe.

spanbutterfly - you know I do!

Does anyone know if Loyola has any of those mannequin patients? mock operating rooms? standardized patients early in the curriculum? I didn't see any of that on the interview.

opstandzon said:

Does anyone know if Loyola has any of those mannequin patients? mock operating rooms? standardized patients early in the curriculum? I didn't see any of that on the interview.

We have lots of clinical exposure in the first two years. We practice on each other, standardized patients, and also "real" patients under the supervision of physician mentors/preceptors. In addition, there are tons of opportunities to get further exposure through student run free clinics or with specific physicians. We have a "Virtual Vince" dummy for practicing procedures, but that is used more by residents. Student interest groups do clinics on things like suturing and intubations for those interested. There are also opportunities to learn phlebotomy. I've found that there are more opportunities than I have time to take advantage of so I've focussed my efforts on a Tuesday night student clinic.

I hope this helps!
Laurie

Are there a good number of "religious" students at Loyola. I know it is a Catholic school and not all students are Catholic, but what is the feel in terms of people who just believe in God? I know there are classes on "spirituality and medicine" ... do most students take those seriously? I've gone to an undergrad school that would NEVER mention even the possibility of God, so I'm curious how different the feeling is at Loyola.

its my grand return to the message board! aren't you excited laurie?

LaurieB said:
We have lots of clinical exposure in the first two years. We practice on each other, standardized patients, and also "real" patients under the supervision of physician mentors/preceptors. In addition, there are tons of opportunities to get further exposure through student run free clinics or with specific physicians. We have a "Virtual Vince" dummy for practicing procedures, but that is used more by residents. Student interest groups do clinics on things like suturing and intubations for those interested. There are also opportunities to learn phlebotomy. I've found that there are more opportunities than I have time to take advantage of so I've focussed my efforts on a Tuesday night student clinic.

I hope this helps!
Laurie

you can get in touch with docs/residents your first two years as much or as little as you would like. we do have the mannequin downstairs that the anesthesia dept bought for its residents and we share. rumor has it they have some kids doing brain surgery in the 2nd year! :laugh: the standardized patient exercises are worthless teaching tools and fairly anxiety provoking for some strange reason, but at least they force you to look at how silly you look on videotape. laurieB can tell you more info about the student run clinic which some students choose to do.

opstandzon said:

ventulus18 said:
its my grand return to the message board! aren't you excited laurie?

Nice to see you back on here - I need all the help I can get representing for the M2's!

ventulus18 said:
you can get in touch with docs/residents your first two years as much or as little as you would like. we do have the mannequin downstairs that the anesthesia dept bought for its residents and we share. rumor has it they have some kids doing brain surgery in the 2nd year! :laugh: the standardized patient exercises are worthless teaching tools and fairly anxiety provoking for some strange reason, but at least they force you to look at how silly you look on videotape. laurieB can tell you more info about the student run clinic which some students choose to do.

How do the standardized patient excercises work. It sounds like you are videotaped. What else is done? Does the patient critique you? Your professor? Which class are these done during? When do you start seeing standardized patients (M1 or M2). Why do you feel that the exercises are worthless? I've heard this before. I thought that the purpose of standardized patients was to get you comfortable being on your own with a patient before you see anyone with a real disease. Do you not feel that the experience gives you that?

laurieB can tell you more info about the student run clinic which some students choose to do.

Laurie B - please do tell. Where is the clinic? When did you start working at it? How many hours are you usually there? What do you do on a typical day? Do a lot of students participate with the clinic?

What are other opportunities that you wish you had time to participate in?

Thanks to you both (and everyone else who posts here)!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
The standardized patient exercises consist of us interviewing a 'standardized patient', who is someone from the community who is given a scenario to play out as we ask our questions. Following the interview, we get feedback from them about how they felt we did (they may not have been trained to take histories, but they hear lots of them from students and in real life and they give some good feedback). We also get feedback from another student, who watches us in a different room on the video camera as we do our history. Then we get to watch ourselves on our video. And sometimes we have our pcm (pcm class = patient centered medicine, the 'touchy-feely' medicine class) physician facilitators watch the video and give comments, too. We started seeing these sp's within the first couple weeks of class. We see them a couple times each year in the clinical science center or whatever its called...the series of 'doctors office' rooms in the medschool that are stocked and look just like a normal doctors office with the exception of the 2 videocameras in each room. We also see the sp's in class now and then and everyone in the class gets to go, one-at-a-time, interviewing the patient. This is when we get to practice specific parts of the history, such as interviewing a difficult patient or asking some of the 'awkward' questions, such as 'below-the-belt' issues or drugs/alcohol/smoking.

And yes, LaurieB can answer the questions best, but the free clinic is Community Health, where a couple students go to the clinic each Tuesday to practice their newly-learned skills and then present histories to the physicians who staff the clinic those nights. Its a quite popular thing for the students to go on. So popular, in fact, that the sign-up for each month fills up within a couple hours of being posted. I've gone once and thought it was a great opportunity. They also have a Saturday session where you can go and learn to draw blood. Haven't done that one yet.

Hope that helps!

opstandzon said:
How do the standardized patient excercises work. It sounds like you are videotaped. What else is done? Does the patient critique you? Your professor? Which class are these done during? When do you start seeing standardized patients (M1 or M2). Why do you feel that the exercises are worthless? I've heard this before. I thought that the purpose of standardized patients was to get you comfortable being on your own with a patient before you see anyone with a real disease. Do you not feel that the experience gives you that?

Laurie B - please do tell. Where is the clinic? When did you start working at it? How many hours are you usually there? What do you do on a typical day? Do a lot of students participate with the clinic?

What are other opportunities that you wish you had time to participate in?

Thanks to you both (and everyone else who posts here)!!!

i live in the chicago suburbs and will buying a condo...
anyone care to be a roomy
PM me for more info

FrankGK said:
Hey guys, happy new year! I absolutely love this thread, you guys are great. I am still not 100% committed to any school yet, I have been fortunate (and lucky) enough to be accepted by a few Chicago schools, and so I am still deciding... If you guys are familiar with the Chicago schools, could you give me your insights as to why you might choose Loyola over Northwestern or Rush. Basically, I am looking to get into clinical medicine and get as much hands-on experience as I can and as much responsibility as the physicians in charge (and the patients for that matter) are comfortable with letting me have. As far as location, each of these three schools are in areas I am comfortable with. Also, each of the schools have solid board scores, with Northwestern's being a bit higher, and so I think I will be happy with the education I will recieve at all of them. Basically, I think it is going to come down to the clinical exposure that students get during both the "pre-clinical" and "clinical" years. Any and all opinions are most definitely welcome, gracias!

if you want hands on experience Northwestern is not the place to go
Rush or Loyola are better....I don't attend any of the schools so of course you should not take my advice

Does anyone know when the WebForum will be up for incoming students?

i remember the webforum becoming available early in the summer...for now though, if you have questions, just ask them. that's what the forum is for and its the current students (like those of us posting on sdn) who answer the questions...

Hi potential future classmates!!

Is anyone here making (or has made) the Loyola vs. Rush decision? I liked both schools a lot and I would be interested in hearing other's insights.

Hi all,

Does anybody know the dates for next year's spring break at Loyola? I couldn't find it on the web-site and the offices are closed for the weekend. Does anyone know? Thanks in advance.

Webster said:
Hi all,

Does anybody know the dates for next year's spring break at Loyola? I couldn't find it on the web-site and the offices are closed for the weekend. Does anyone know? Thanks in advance.

not sure if its been posted online yet...it should be posted here but it isn't updated yet. i would imagine it'd be similar to this year's dates.

flippa7 said:

Is anyone here making (or has made) the Loyola vs. Rush decision? I liked both schools a lot and I would be interested in hearing other's insights.

so, are these the schools that are dukin' it out for your :love: ?

TimmyTheWonderD said:
so, are these the schools that are dukin' it out for your :love: ?

i'm very grateful to have the choice...and i'm sure they would both be equally happy to take $35,000+ a year off my hands... ;)

flippa7 said:

Hey flippa7,
I'm in the same situation as you. I'm trying to decide between the two and am going to wait until I get my financial aid packages from both schools to make a decision - maybe it'll be easier then to decide. But I am leaning towards Loyola right now. I was simply more impressed with Loyola when I interviewed.

What factors are you weighing between Loyola and Rush?

I got excited today after receiving a package from the financial aid office....but alas, just some loan info.

btw, has anyone received any grants/scholarships info, or does that come with the aid package (crossing fingers!)

ambulancedriver said:
I got excited today after receiving a package from the financial aid office....but alas, just some loan info.

btw, has anyone received any grants/scholarships info, or does that come with the aid package (crossing fingers!)

Here's some information that I got from Lynn Wawrzyniak in the Stritch Financial Aid office:

When is finaid processed? When will additional money (for housing, etc.)? "If you borrowed more than tuition and fees, you will receive a refund the first day of classes. For Freshmen, you should receive your refund for the first semester on July 31st."

Do the LUPF and Ignatian scholarships require additional application? "For the LUPF and Ignatian Scholarships, there is no additional application. You can submit additional information for these scholarships if you wish. The information should be sent to the Admissions Office. "

If you're having trouble logging into the Stritch Financial Aid Applicaiton (FAA): "You should be able to logon to our system to complete the FAA. When inputting your AMCAS ID, make sure that you are inputting a 10 digit number. Usually you should input two zeros and then your AMCAS ID to get the 10 digit number. If you are still having problems, please do not hesitate to contact our office.

ADDENDUM: Bye the way, your FAA and FAFSA should be submitted by next Friday, March 31! You do not need to include your parents' information on the FAFSA, but you do need to include in on the FAA.

ambulancedriver said:

That package confused the heck out of me. So - on initial review, the THE loans look more attractive, but am I missing something? Also, how the heck do you start repaying them if you do a 4 year residency and the deferment is only for three years?

Flopotomist said:
That package confused the heck out of me. So - on initial review, the THE loans look more attractive, but am I missing something? Also, how the heck do you start repaying them if you do a 4 year residency and the deferment is only for three years?

I second everything that mr. flop just said. :confused:

The thing that I don't understand from a business point of view - if I was trying to make 60K profit (from interest etc) I would try to make my loan product as EASY to understand as possible so that people that were financial idiots (like me) would sign up.

Like - what does "capitalization" mean? What is the difference between forebearance and deferrment? Why don't you explain it to me like I am a 9 year old, and then maybe I can make a decision instead of just being overwhelmed. :confused:

Flopotomist said:
The thing that I don't understand from a business point of view - if I was trying to make 60K profit (from interest etc) I would try to make my loan product as EASY to understand as possible so that people that were financial idiots (like me) would sign up.

Like - what does "capitalization" mean? What is the difference between forebearance and deferrment? Why don't you explain it to me like I am a 9 year old, and then maybe I can make a decision instead of just being overwhelmed. :confused:

So, flopoptimist, are you for sure going to Loyola now? I think it was you who was maybe looking at UCLA or something.

spanbutterfly said:
So, flopoptimist, are you for sure going to Loyola now? I think it was you who was maybe looking at UCLA or something.

Still waiting to hear back from UCLA, I will be thrilled either way. Are you going to Loyola?

opstandzon, thanks for the info :thumbup:

Flopotomist said:

maybe us financial idiots can combine our minds together and piece this puzzle together. I do know that capitalization means the interest that you accumulated during med school is added on to what you originally borrowed, and from then on, this is what you are charged interest on.

for example, if you borrow $10,000 (not likely!) and you accumulate $500 worth of interest during med school, once this is capitalized, you are then charged interest on 10,500 rather than just 10,000. capitalization is :thumbdown: hope that helps somewhat.

ambulancedriver said:
opstandzon, thanks for the info :thumbup:

maybe us financial idiots can combine our minds together and put this puzzle together. I do know that capitalization means the interest that you accumulated during med school is added on to what you originally borrowed, and from then on, this is what you are charged interest on.

for example, if you borrow $10,000 (not likely!) and you accumulate $500 worth of interest during med school, once this is capitalized, you are then charged interest on 10,500 rather than just 10,000. capitalization is :thumbdown:
Woo Hoo! Thanks for that clear explanation (would it kill the schools - or these banks to be as clear as you just were?).

Now if I could just figure out how you do a 4 year residency when the loans only allow you to defer for 3 years...

i don't completely understand all the financial stuff either (and i already have a chunk of loans from loyola...) anyway, the thing that matters is that we will be poor. we will have lots of loans. you won't be required to pay obscene amounts of it back before you're able (think 30-year repayment plan) but if you are letting interest capitalize (add on to your principle amount, as ambulancedriver so aptly stated), then you'll just owe more later. paying $ back sooner is good if your interest rates are high, taking longer to pay it back might be better if your interest rates are lower. we had the financial aid lady talk to us about that a couple weeks ago, because of the whole loan consolidation thing (lumping them all into one loan at a locked in rate while the rates are low)....but yeah, i don't totally understand it either. just my $0.02.

Flopotomist said:
Still waiting to hear back from UCLA, I will be thrilled either way. Are you going to Loyola?

Yes, I made my final decision a while ago. Let us all know when you make your's. Good luck :)

to answer my own question, I found out that the admissions dept. handles scholarships and will contact us (probably by email) if we have received one.

in other news, anyone play bball? would be cool to get some pickup games going to relieve the stress throughout the year

ambulancedriver said:
to answer my own question, I found out that the admissions dept. handles scholarships and will contact us (probably by email) if we have received one.

in other news, anyone play bball? would be cool to get some pickup games going to relieve the stress throughout the year

we play lots of pickup bball....actually started a league this year of a bunch of m1 guys (maybe 6 or 8 teams of 5). we even got jerseys! ;) played a couple games of bball between classes yesterday and today. if you wanna get your game on, there's opportunity....not so much during anatomy, but when you have time, games might be going on.

Just a little quick info:

1. I don't know much about Financial Aid - still trying to understand it all, but I choose the Access group and so did a lot of other students so they are worth looking into if you haven't. Also, don't hesitate to call the financial aid office - they are very pro-student and will do what they can to help you wade through the jargon to understand what this all means. I think I called them 8 times before I even submitted my first FAFSA. They never seemed to lose their patience with my questions.

2. The apartment below me if officially available for rent. Here is the info for those interested:

Nice 2 bedroom apartment in Forest Park for rent

Open, bright living space
Lots of closets/storage
3-season sun porch
Nice backyard with patio great for cooking out
One block from downtown Forest Park on Marengo Avenue
3 miles from Loyola

$990/mo includes heat
Available 5/01

My apartment will also probably be available, but I haven't told my landlord that I am moving yet - my place is a little bigger and cost a little more. PM me if you are interested in checking the place out.

I'm looking forward to meeting you guys next year!
Laurie

brats800 said:
we play lots of pickup bball....actually started a league this year of a bunch of m1 guys (maybe 6 or 8 teams of 5). we even got jerseys! ;) played a couple games of bball between classes yesterday and today. if you wanna get your game on, there's opportunity....not so much during anatomy, but when you have time, games might be going on.

awesome. I think I will be very happy at stritch. july can't come fast enough at this point.

ambulancedriver said:
awesome. I think I will be very happy at stritch. july can't come fast enough at this point.

you know what can't come fast enough????
MOVEMENT OF THE WAITLIST!!!!!! :D

I'm also getting super excited for school to start this July, although I'm not psyched about all of the studying that comes with it! My husband and I are moving to Oak Park on June 30. I am so ready for a change of scenery - I've lived in Arizona my whole life, and am glad not to have to live through 120 degree summers anymore. I don't know about the rest of you, but I have no motivation these last few weeks of school - no desire to go to class, study, or work in the lab anymore.

Don't forget - all the fin aid stuff should be in at Loyola by tomorrow!

It's official - I've decided to go to Loyola! It feels good to be 100% decided. My man and I will be moving to Chicago in the last week of June/first week of July. We're not sure exactly where we'll be living yet, but we'll figure that out soon enough. Now we just have to hope the man gets a job!

Anyone know any engineers in the Chicago area? He's in aerospace now, but can do a lot of mechanical/fluids based stuff. He got his BS from Notre Dame and his MS from Stanford; has 5 years of working experience.

ambulancedriver said:
july can't come fast enough at this point.

i second that. i finally got around to withdrawing my uic acceptance last week, so there's no longer any uncertainty for me. i told people at my office i'd stay on til june 30 and then take the first few weeks of july before orientation to just park myself on the beach or something til school starts. i'm really excited to be starting at loyola, and my wife is happy (as am i) not to be leaving chicago and to be done with the whole application thing.

see you all in july :)

ambulancedriver said:

haha. i totally know how you feel. but now that my first year at loyola is almost done (i love it still), i'd say that the end of May can't come fast enough and July can take its time...we don't have much summer break and i'm ready for some sun and fun. :) good luck to those of you still waiting (timmy) and feel free to ask any questions as you all start moving out here.

brats800 said:
.....good luck to those of you still waiting (timmy) and feel free to ask any questions......

well, since you are volunteering ;)

i got the financial aid package today....they send that to those on the alternate list too?

TimmyTheWonderD said:
well, since you are volunteering ;)

i got the financial aid package today....they send that to those on the alternate list too?

pretty sure they want you to fill it out as a waitlister (alternate sounds so 'b-team'...) so that if (when?) you get accepted they'll already have all your info so that they can get what needs to be done completed fast. i wouldn't take it as a sign they accepted you and didn't tell you, but also it does mean they are still thinking about you. ;) fingers still crossed for you.

brats800 said:
pretty sure they want you to fill it out as a waitlister (alternate sounds so 'b-team'...) so that if (when?) you get accepted they'll already have all your info so that they can get what needs to be done completed fast. i wouldn't take it as a sign they accepted you and didn't tell you, but also it does mean they are still thinking about you. ;) fingers still crossed for you.

waitlist gets ranked soon - :eek:
keep us loyola hopefuls ever in your minds :D

TimmyTheWonderD said:
Fingers are always crossed which makes simple tasks much more difficult!

Good luck!!!

TimmyTheWonderD said:
well, if the list is ranked by how many people on SDN you have crossing their fingers (and toes) for you, you would be ranked #1 :D

ambulancedriver said:
well, if the list is ranked by how many people on SDN you have crossing their fingers (and toes) for you, you would be ranked #1 :D

***blushing***

you guys are a HUGE part of my :love: for loyola!