Official Loyola Entering Class of 2005 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
dopaminophile said:
Hi all! I'm deciding between Stritch and two other schools in the coming weeks. I LOVED Loyola, Chicago, the students, the faculty I met, almost everything about the school. The big question mark for me is that I'm definitely not Catholic... I'm not religious at all and I have major ethical disagreements with the Catholic Church. My interviewer (a self-described "recovering Catholic"--meaning not one) told me that he didn't find his own disagreements to be an issue at all. The only areas, he said, that it has an effect is that the hospital doesn't perform abortions and they don't do stem-cell research. Would I be able to talk about safe sex with teenagers under my care--distribute condoms, prescribe the morning-after pill, etc? Would we be taught about abortion procedures, indications, contraindications, etc? Could we refer patients to hospitals that do carry out those procedures? I guess my concern is: how far do the curriculum and practicing rights for medical students, residents, and attendings depart from that of a school with no religous affiliation. I really don't want to discuss the morality of these things, I just want to know what practical differences there are between Loyola and some other schools.

Also, nobody said much about student involvement on different committees, like a Curriculum Committee, Admissions Committee, Ethics Committee, etc. Is that because students aren't involved much in the administration of the school or just because I didn't hear about it. Are there even student seats on administrative committees?

Nice gym eh?

My interviewer said the ONLY difference is that they don't do abortions. Not sure how true that is...

Members don't see this ad.

Where are you headed Mr. Seeds? Is it CWRU for you?

dopaminophile said:
Where are you headed Mr. Seeds? Is it CWRU for you?

Either CWRU or OHSU. CWRU is probably a better fit academically, but my opinion of OHSU has really changed over the last few months and now I'm inclined to think I might be happier there. It seems that my "#1 choice" changes every week, so who knows where I'll end up :rolleyes:

Any news from CWRU for you? What other two schools are you considering? G'luck./

P.S. yeah, the gym totally rocks. Everything I know about Loyola leads me believe that it is simply a fantastic school in just about every respect.

Members don't see this ad :)
dopaminophile said:
Hi all! I'm deciding between Stritch and two other schools in the coming weeks. I LOVED Loyola, Chicago, the students, the faculty I met, almost everything about the school. The big question mark for me is that I'm definitely not Catholic... I'm not religious at all and I have major ethical disagreements with the Catholic Church. My interviewer (a self-described "recovering Catholic"--meaning not one) told me that he didn't find his own disagreements to be an issue at all. The only areas, he said, that it has an effect is that the hospital doesn't perform abortions and they don't do stem-cell research. Would I be able to talk about safe sex with teenagers under my care--distribute condoms, prescribe the morning-after pill, etc? Would we be taught about abortion procedures, indications, contraindications, etc? Could we refer patients to hospitals that do carry out those procedures? I guess my concern is: how far do the curriculum and practicing rights for medical students, residents, and attendings depart from that of a school with no religous affiliation. I really don't want to discuss the morality of these things, I just want to know what practical differences there are between Loyola and some other schools.

Also, nobody said much about student involvement on different committees, like a Curriculum Committee, Admissions Committee, Ethics Committee, etc. Is that because students aren't involved much in the administration of the school or just because I didn't hear about it. Are there even student seats on administrative committees?

Nice gym eh?

Those are all really good questions. There are many non-Catholics at Loyola and no one I know has run into a problem. The Jesuits at Loyola set a very progressive tone in general so I think you will find that you are free to your opinions and to discussing them as long as you respect the Catholic position. As far as ob/gyn training goes, you will learn about contraception and abortion (see the ob/gyn class schedule: http://www.meddean.luc.edu/lumen/MedEd/obgyne/pcsch.htm). Loyola does not perform abortions, but you can set up an away rotation to learn them. It is my impression that Loyola physicians have a good deal of autonomy in how they deal with contraception and abortion referrals and that these decisions are made on a more personal level. I'm only a first year student, but I can say that I haven't heard any complaints about ob/gyn education from our 3rd and 4th year students. In addition, one of the benefits of being at a Catholic institution that I'm just coming to appreciate is the presence of Chaplains in the hospital. They fill an important role as a counselor and liason to the patients.

In answer to your question about comittees, we do have students on curriculum, admissions, and ethics committees. Each course has it's own comittee of students and faculty. Students have a fair amount of influence too: there are several improvments in our classes this year that were because of feedback from the 2nd year students. There are also a handful of students on the admissions comittee (3 per class I think). They help interview, but it sounds like you didn't get a student. Finally, there is a bioethics interest group and the senior members can join in on ethics consults in the hospital. We also have a bioethics institute at Loyola (http://www.meddean.luc.edu/depts/bioethics/index.htm) that oferrs a masters in bioethics. There is also an honors program in bioethics and professionalism. Needless to say, we definiately get our fill.

I hope this answers your questions somewhat. Good luck making a decision!
Laurie

dopaminophile said:

I also had that concern at my interview. I asked a bunch of students about it, as well as my interviewers, and they all seemed to say that I shouldn't worry about the religious affiliation. It is more about the Jesuit philosophy on eduction, which I like. I didn't get the impression that I would be out of place at all.

Thanks for taking the time to respond Laurie. You might have just convinced me to go there. It's comforting to know that there aren't really any practical limitations to the education.

Mr. Seeds, I've whittled it down to Marshall (my state school) and EVMS. I got a big fat reject from CWRU, which was dissappointing but not entirely unexpected... it was one of my worst interviews. With the encouraging word from Laurie, I really don't have many hesitations about Loyola and there's a lot drawing me there. The kicker is that I prefer Norfolk to Chicago (just a little) and I could go to Marshall for an order of magnitude less than either Stritch or EVMS. I really, really like Loyola though and boy do they have a great gym!

Just wondering....who is everyone choosing for their lender?
Loyola, Health Education Solutions, Access Group, THE, Medloans....and why?

Thanks.

landrus said:
Just wondering....who is everyone choosing for their lender?
Loyola, Health Education Solutions, Access Group, THE, Medloans....and why?

Thanks.

I liked the access group the most. not looking at the info right now, but they were the best for people with great credit. it came down to them and the loyola one, but they looked better to me. i actually called the loyola financial aid people and was told that this is the first year they are doing the loyola as lender thing so they haven't quite worked it all out. the woman i talked to couldn't come out and say it, but she said something like 'compare the rates and choose the one that will give you the best outcome. compare us to other people and you might see better options...' (very loose quote as the talk was a week or two ago) so yeah, i'm planning on going with the access group. if you check out their website (http://www.accessgroup.org/) you'll see that the loan rates on their site and on the loyola mailing don't match up right now but i was also told that that is because the access group rates will be changing (getting better for us) around the end of this month. there's a spot you can sign up to receive an email if you want to be notified when their rates and stuff change.

on another note, did anyone get the mailing from loyola today? more forms to fill out but it does get me excited for it all to start (orientation is the week of July 25th, for those of you who haven't gotten the mailing yet)...

brats800 said:
on another note, did anyone get the mailing from loyola today? more forms to fill out but it does get me excited for it all to start (orientation is the week of July 25th, for those of you who haven't gotten the mailing yet)...

Yup! I received my forms today! I'm not too excited about filling out more forms, but I'm really excited to meet you all! I'm slightly overwhelmed about such an early start date since I graduate in the middle of June :eek:

Brats,

Thanks for the helpful leads and information on the lenders. I'm going to fill out loan things tonight.

Yeah classmates! I received the packet yesterday with more forms. Getting more and more excited.

hey so i bought a condo this past weekend! i'm excited. its a pretty sweet place in forest park, 1 mile from campus. looking for a roomate still, but plenty of time for that. but yeah, it makes me excited to get down there and get started. :)

brats800 said:
hey so i bought a condo this past weekend! i'm excited. its a pretty sweet place in forest park, 1 mile from campus. looking for a roomate still, but plenty of time for that. but yeah, it makes me excited to get down there and get started. :)
Awesome! I'm headed up there on the 4th to have another look around and to look at real estate. I'm thinking Forest Park or Oak Park sound like the way to go... and it sounds like the former is a bit cheaper. July 25 isn't that far off! Woohoo!

Hey guys, I am just dumbfounded at why there aren't that many people from Loyola who choose to do their residencies in california. Do most people who go to Loyola come from the Midwest and as a result stay there? How come when you look at Rosalind Franklin's Residency match, almost like 70% of their grads go to California, and it is fewer for Loyola? Is it just that more people who go to Rosalind Franklin come from Cali? Does Loyola still provide a good opportunity to match into Cali residencies? If anyone has any information regarding this, please provide it. I didn't notice this before, and it is kinda bothering me considering I loved Loyola, but would enjoy doing my residency in California.

Members don't see this ad :)
Calizona said:
Hey guys, I am just dumbfounded at why there aren't that many people from Loyola who choose to do their residencies in california. Do most people who go to Loyola come from the Midwest and as a result stay there? How come when you look at Rosalind Franklin's Residency match, almost like 70% of their grads go to California, and it is fewer for Loyola? Is it just that more people who go to Rosalind Franklin come from Cali? Does Loyola still provide a good opportunity to match into Cali residencies? If anyone has any information regarding this, please provide it. I didn't notice this before, and it is kinda bothering me considering I loved Loyola, but would enjoy doing my residency in California.

I don't know if it's true, but I thought that RF had the reputation of taking all the Cali kids who couldn't get into state schools there. Might have something to do with it.

Awww, I am currently on the waitlist for Loyola and would enjoy trading my waitlist position for an acceptance. Any takers? :) I took a look at past years threads on Loyola's waitlist and it seems like the waitlist alternates yearly from very little movement to a good amount of movement. If my precise calculations are correct, this year should be the year with a good amount of movement. For all those others on the waitlist, lets hope this is true. Please post if you hear about any waitlist movement! Thanks. Oh and congratulations to all who have already been accepted.

Calizona said:

The way I understand it is California residencies are quite hard to get, most of the UC students stay there and many of the cali residents at private schools across the nation also want to get back there. I would think thats why there aren't that many from Loyola.

Hey all you incoming ramblers!!!!!! I"m applying to med school right now, and my NUMBER ONE choice is luc med. I went to Loyola for undergrad, and am hoping that my upcoming MCAT results will be good enough to get me in. <sigh> congrts to all those accepted though! You guys are going to have a great time at this med school. A really good friend of mine goes there, and says he loves it. Loyola..WOW!! :love: :love:

im waitlisted...its the 18th...bump! anyone or anything?

me too.... i called today and they said that there hasnt been any movement of the waitlist yet, but they are expecting some by the end of the week

thanks for the update. i've heard through the grapevine that Loyola hadn't heard back from those they gave acceptances to til really late... meaning that they may be depending on the waitlist quite a bit. Does anyone know approx how many could be on the waitlist? It's funny how we could all just wait til next week but we keep asking these questions! Thanks for the support everyone!

yes, but next week seems soooooo far away!!

I'm on the alternate list too...and ya know, I think all we can do is think happy thoughts for now :) I wish everyone the best of luck, and I hope Loyola sees how much we want to be there. Good luck and Happy Thurs!

Hi guys--

I'm also waitlisted at Loyola and dying to get in. I really hope that they do take a lot of students off the waitlist. I would love to attend!!! Does anyone know if they call you or email? Good luck to all and please keep us all updated if you hear anything!

bump. anyone hear anything today?

Just as a heads up guys there was a small amount of movement of Loyola's waitlist last Friday. I don't know how many they took off, but it seemed like only a few so far. I didn't ask how much more movement they expect in the near future because I heard from them while riding the BART and was afraid I was going to get cut off. For all of those on the waitlist, I would take this as good news. If they have movement this early, my guess is that there will still be more movement from here until school starts. Oh and I wanted to dispel the myth that they rank their waitlist due to numbers. That is way off! They are choosing people that they find to be a good fit for the school. Trust me, my numbers are nothing to brag about. I really wish all of you luck and hope to see each one of you at Loyola next year!!

Calizona said:
Just as a heads up guys there was a small amount of movement of Loyola's waitlist last Friday. I don't know how many they took off, but it seemed like only a few so far. I didn't ask how much more movement they expect in the near future because I heard from them while riding the BART and was afraid I was going to get cut off. For all of those on the waitlist, I would take this as good news. If they have movement this early, my guess is that there will still be more movement from here until school starts. Oh and I wanted to dispel the myth that they rank their waitlist due to numbers. That is way off! They are choosing people that they find to be a good fit for the school. Trust me, my numbers are nothing to brag about. I really wish all of you luck and hope to see each one of you at Loyola next year!!

hey Calizona- did you get in?? Congrats man.

Congrats Calizona :) ...just reading that made my heart skip a beat--good luck everyone...and i'm hoping the ring-ring-rings will be coming our way verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry soon!!!!! This must mean that the rush of acceptances is forthcoming?? oh, we've been so patient :love:

Calizona--

Congratulations!!! I sincerely hope there is much more movement soon!

hey guys, I got in off the waitlist on Friday too! So, there has definitely been movement, and hopefully more for all of you--good luck to everyone waiting!!!

Congrats to all! , I'm still waiting. It is nice to hear that numbers aren't everything....

To all those who got in off the list, did you guys get calls or letters?

Good luck, and best to all.

did anyone here entering into loyola get in via the loyola master of arts in medical sciences program? i am interested to see how well students in the program are doing...

I am also waitlisted at Loyola. Anyone know if we can call to see where we are ranked on the waitlist? Good luck to everyone. I hope we all get in!

When I called Loyola a few wks ago, trying to ask where I ranked, they were very confidential about that...and hinted at nothing. So I'm hoping they do that b/c they tend to take a looot of people off--that's just my theory?? I really hope we get a huge rush of "in's" verrry soon. that's all i got for now. buena suerte (good luck) all! :love:

I called the admin office at loyola today, and they said they've had significant waitlist movement already, and that there class is "full and holding" but that it was "subject to change."She told me to call back the first week of june, but it didn't sound very promising....sorry guys, but good luck

I think we all have to keep in mind (those on the waitlist that is) that if someone get's a call for a seat... they give those students some time to decide and get back to them, not "say yes or no now!!!" ... so if the class is full and holding, that means they are waiting to those they just offered seats to off the waitlist to confirm their acceptance. It's not over yet!

and also remember that some people (this does not include myself) who are holding full acceptances to loyola may turn them down still if they get off the waitlist at a school which they like more (i can't imagine how anyone could like a school more than loyola, but stranger things have probably happened). so don't lose hope. the summer is still young. i'm sure i'll still see a couple more of you at orientation...

im bumping this thread to see ...did anyone else on the waitlist hear anything, yesterday or today (tuesday) ?

nope, i haven't heard a thing yet. is it me, or are you guys getting pretty anxious as the end of may draws near? i feel quite jumpy everytime my phone rings...and always have that sad look on my face when i look at my caller ID--and see that oh, it's my sister, or my mom, or something. then i realize, i must calm down and get a hold of myself! hahaha. :laugh: i did look at the thread of the c/o 2007 (b/c last year's movement, they said wasn't typical), trying to gather clues as to when loyola calls people. on that thread, i've noticed that the people who got called were called on fridays...hmm. i'm a nerd and noticed that pattern...i just wanted to throw yet another theory out-- oh the wait. lots of luck, lots of yoga...not that i do yoga...ok, i better stop. happy waiting!

sjashark said:
I called the admin office at loyola today, and they said they've had significant waitlist movement already, and that there class is "full and holding" but that it was "subject to change."She told me to call back the first week of june, but it didn't sound very promising....sorry guys, but good luck

I also think more movement will occur around the beginning of June. I recently got off the waitlist and have to turn in all my forms by May 31st. Possibly some people taken off the list might choose to decline their acceptance. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist. I hope to see you all at Loyola starting at the end of July!!

amazing observation! this makes me so happy! i mean, it is now all coming together, that they let X amount of people know on friday, and then give them til tues (approx) to decide, then regroup the list and call more on fri if needed.

and if it doesnt work like that, oh well, at least im a little less stressed.

its funny, i got one cell phone call while at work (at which my boss lets me keep on my phone cause he knows about the waitlists) and i too jumped and ran into a room, reached into my lab coat, only to see my brother's number...and was like "i am such a psycho." im glad there are other's freaking out too.

if anyone on the loyola waitlist who lives in chicago or burbs of, wants to hang out this weekend...maybe go out to forget about life for a while?
we'll get a big waitlister bar crawl!

sjashark said:

ugh. thats really dissapointing to hear.... when i called them just about a week ago they said that there hadnt been any movement yet -- how did they go from none to 'significant'?? boo hiss [well, ok, only boo hiss cause i havent gotten the call.... congrats to those that have!]

I just had to shout out to all those that will be at Loyola next semester. I am totally excited and cannot contain myself. This whole application process has been very difficult for me (and I'm sure many others) because I have been completely uncertain of where I would end up and why. I just recently made my final decision that I will for sure be at Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine next year and it feels GOOD to say that! To finally know where I'll be and to get things lined up takes an amazing weight off my shoulders. I can't wait to shadow a chaplain in the ER, to start taking patient histories, to go to lectures in the morning and break down into smaller group discussions in the afternoon, to get to meet all you amazing Loyola people, to hit up Chi-town on the weekends or during the week where time permits, to live in a new city (i'm previously from Glendale, AZ and Berkeley, CA), to study my butt off late in a room on campus drawing on the chalkboard with other students high on caffeine, to meet interesting patients, to learn new things again, and continue to be idealistic in my goal to become a doctor. I hope all of you other future Loyola M1's can share my enthusiasm. My thoughts also go out to all those on the waitlist. I understand your pain and know how much it hurts to be uncertain about your future. I hope you can either join me at Loyola or have a wonderful medical school experience at another great medical school. If any of the other M1s have other things you are looking forward to at Loyola, please post them here! I have a feeling the next four years are going to be amazing in terms of difficulty and reward.

i'm very excited as well. the school just 'felt right' for all of the reasons you are excited about as well. i loved the curriculum and the students. i think the location is pretty sweet (having gone to undergrad about 1/2 hour away it still kind of feels like home). chicago is a great city. and yeah, it'll be awesome to meet all you new M1's. i hear we have some decent time during orientation week to hang out/get to know eachother/finish getting our appts. set up. that should be good times, too. anyway, i gotta get to work but yes, i'm excited. and good luck today and tomorrow for you waitlisters...hope there's some good movement for you all.

i know this is the official entering class thread and not a waitlist thread, but it seems a lot of people are seeing this one... so i apologize for all those who are already accepted and are trying to chat it up... congrats!

any waitlisters hear anything today (friday)?

Yeah fellow classmates! Each day passes and I get more and more excited. How many of you are doing pre-med school travelling this summer? If there are any adventure travellers out there, I look forward to meeting you when school starts. I'm hoping, even with our meager $$$, we can do some cool travels during breaks.

My roommate is an M3, and he said orientation week is a blast. They have activities planned for us downtown as well as at Stritch. I finally picked a lender for the loans. Man, looking at all those numbers made me procrastinate and look scrupulously at which lender would be the best deal. Strangely enough, because I knew Loyola is where I wanted to be, it doesn't seem too daunting.

We have a lot to which to look forward. Waitlisters, hang in there!

Hey guys! I can't wait to meet you all! This summer, I'm planning on going on a cruise around the Greek Isles before starting at Stritch! :) Does anyone know what activities are planned for us during orientation? I can't wait to meet you all!

I'll be leaving in a week for a 3 week adventure in Ecuador and Peru. Machu Picchu here I come. Hoping to hit up the Galapagos Islands as well. I'm kinda doing a plan as you go trip with a flexible itinerary in mind. Did anyone have to get any immunizations before going on their trips? I spent $250 bucks in Hep A, Yellow Fever, and Typhoid vaccinations as well as malaria pills! Who is hitting up Europe this summer? That is one trip I plan to make at some point in the future.

Oh and I was a little late sending in my housing information because I was accepted late. Have they sent out the list of students interested in having apartment mates? I saw some of you purchased places or already live in the area. Anyone coming from the west or east coast?