Official Johns Hopkins Class Of 2011 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD82

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thrilled to be accepted to Johns Hopkins school of medicine and am excited to meet everyone in my class!! I recently visited baltimore and have no clue whether i want to live in the dorms or in an apartment. I don't really know where the safe neighborhoods are though. I chose Johns Hopkins because I think that the opportunities there are limitless, I felt like i fit in well with the many students i met, the patient population is SO diverse (urban poor and rich people looking for research related procedures), and the facilities are wonderful. During my interview day I also got that "oh my goodness this is the perfect place for me" feeling that I did not get at any other interviews in the same way. Congratulations to all!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I'm really excited about Hopkins as well. I was thinking of living in the dorms because they seem more social...a good way to get to meet people, even though they look like jail cells :rolleyes: . We gotta get more action in here!

Are you guys definitely going? My feelings about Hopkins after getting in have been so mixed. The hospital is amazing, but I'm not crazy about the price or the city.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't live in the dorms. Baltimore has tons of cheap housing. :)

I'm leaning towards Hopkins. I think Baltimore's a plus...diverse patient population! But I guess it depends on what you eventually want to go into. And, I hear financial aid is not too shabby there. :thumbup:

I'm leaning towards Hopkins. I think Baltimore's a plus...diverse patient population! But I guess it depends on what you eventually want to go into. And, I hear financial aid is not too shabby there. :thumbup:

They have good need-based aid there, but nothing merit based. :(

Dorms are supposedly being torn down. I've lived in Baltimore for the past few years and housing's pretty cheap. Electricity, however, is not. :thumbdown:

When are the new dorms being built? I doubt they'd be up by the time we get there, right?

Towelie, are you leaning more towards any other school in particular?

i am wondering where this cheap housing is in baltimore...and is there any that is relatively close to the hopkins medical campus? I did not get the feel that living in the area would be safe... i feel like the dorm is a safe CHEAP way to live close to school...and they really do not look too nice..but i need insider tips about finding an apartment because i really dont know the area too well. I am so excited to meet all of you. has anyone heard anything about a second look weekend?

When are the new dorms being built? I doubt they'd be up by the time we get there, right?

Towelie, are you leaning more towards any other school in particular?

i think we will have to live in the not so gorgeous not so new reed hall.

Did you guys see the singles side or the suites side? I agree the singles side is like a prison but most people are able to get spots on the suites side, which is 4 single rooms with a common room, kitchen, and bathroom. They are not beautiful, but considerably nicer. I would recommend Reed suites to anybody who's single and not from the area, because it is really a good way to stay connected and meet lots of people during your first year. The social atmosphere in the first year tends to center around Reed since about half of the class lives there.

A lot of students also live in apartments in the Mt. Vernon/Charles Center area (a little north of the Inner Harbor), and they either take the Metro (from Charles Center) or the free Hopkins shuttle (from Mt. Vernon) to get to school. There is free satellite parking if you live off campus. If you live at Reed you have to pay unfortunately (about 110 a month I think, but the rent for Reed is very cheap, when I was there it was 365/month).

That was such helpful information. I am almost sure that the suites side is where i will be. the only thing that stinks is that my dog will have to live with my mom for the year...which is okay since i could probably use the time to study.

congrats, everyone.

Just to clarify, you can also get free satellite parking even if you live in Reed. It is about a 10 minutes shuttle ride away, and you can park next to reed after 4 and on the weekends for fre. Reed (the suite sides) is not that bad at all. I actually like it! It's close, 60% of the class lives here, and it's cheap. 2nd look weekend was in April last year, and is a GREAT time. Last year, we went to the Orioles v. Yankees game among other things.

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats, everyone.

Just to clarify, you can also get free satellite parking even if you live in Reed. It is about a 10 minutes shuttle ride away, and you can park next to reed after 4 and on the weekends for fre. Reed (the suite sides) is not that bad at all. I actually like it! It's close, 60% of the class lives here, and it's cheap. 2nd look weekend was in April last year, and is a GREAT time. Last year, we went to the Orioles v. Yankees game among other things.

When do they send you information about housing? And how early must you put down the deposit to ensure you get a suite? Do they tell you about sattelite parking or is this a secret you discovered? Do you think i ask enough questions? :laugh: Thanks for the info, it is much appreciated.

Congrats on your acceptances!

Lots of my classmates lived in Reed last year and moved out this year. It is a great place to meet people and gives you time to explore Baltimo' to decide where to live, also you will find possible roommates maybe from your class or grad students.

Some alternatives that are popular: Park Charles (apartment bulding), anything in Mt.Vernon (shuttle is very convinient there, but rent is $$$) and Homewood (though parking situation is not great). The immediate area around Hopkins is not that safe for walking at night (unless you drive to school, but then you'll pay for parking at Hopkins).

I know that Class of 2010 had a similar thread last year about housing and areas of Baltimore, so maybe look at it for more info. For cheap apartment look on craigslist.org (but you HAVE to be sure about the location) .

When do they send you information about housing? And how early must you put down the deposit to ensure you get a suite? Do they tell you about sattelite parking or is this a secret you discovered? Do you think i ask enough questions? :laugh: Thanks for the info, it is much appreciated.

Call Reed about housing if you are sure that you are coming here. In my class lots of people ended up in singles (which are scary)if they replied late, but on the other hand it depends on your class.

Also there are rumors that Reed will be torned down in the near future. They actually started construction in the back of Reed, so I am not sure about the noise and dust. Maybe JHU1984 can clarify that.

Do you guys feel safe walking campus? When I interviewed I didn't think it was that bad, especially with cops on segways (sp?) rolling by every 5 minutes. I got to see a suite in Reed (not a single), but I thought they were a little spartan. Can you walk somewhere at night to get something to eat around there?

You're right, campus itself is very safe, with 24 hour guards. As you can imagine, though, you aren't going to walk off campus to your local neighborhood bistro at 2 am. The only option for late night food within in walking distance is vending machines and the cafeteria in the hospital, which is open 24 hours now - it honestly is pretty crappy, but there is a Subway chain in there that is open pretty late. With a car, though, you can get to nicer areas pretty fast. Fell's Point is probably less than a mile due south of the campus, for instance. You can actually walk or use a bike during the day and be pretty safe, but at night, a car is a must.

Maybe JHU1984 can clarify that.
Reed will be here at least one more year -- i just got a letter about renewing my lease. campus is very safe, and i have walked to fell's (with a big group) at night multiple times.

Hi Everyone,

I'm not a member of the class - I'm a hopeful who will be interviewing at Hopkins next month.

Congrats to all of you that have already been accepted! If you have any words of wisdom regarding the interview day, I would certainly appreciate your sharing! Thanks!

Hi Everyone,

I'm not a member of the class - I'm a hopeful who will be interviewing at Hopkins next month.

Congrats to all of you that have already been accepted! If you have any words of wisdom regarding the interview day, I would certainly appreciate your sharing! Thanks!

Hey Danjo,

As far as advice, I think there is much ado about nothing as far as the "interview in the waiting room" concept, where the med students in the waiting room with you are on the adcom and are judging you. As long as you have reasonable social skills (and judging by this website, you certainly do) then that part is no big deal.

Most people I talked to said they didn't get any healthcare or ethics questions. I didn't.

I am fairly sure that both the student and faculty member you interview with is on the adcom, so it is a more important student interview than at most schools. Also, I was speedy with thank you notes, as I think they actually discuss your app at the meeting several weeks later, rather than simply sending in a writeup, so the thank you note will probably arrive before the decision is made.

Overall, it's no big deal though. You will do great.

Also, the student may ask for you MCAT info, just as a warning. They don't have access to it, but mine asked.

Finally, if you can make it to the informal meeting the night before, I suggest you do so. I met a bunch of first years, just back from IM soccer, who all seemed very chill and cool.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions. Again, I am a MS0 just like you, so I don't have any inside scoop, just my own experiences there.

Best of luck!

Is the interview in the waiting room thing true? I mean, because if so I'm kind of screwed. I was first up for my faculty interview so I didn't speak with any students then (they had just arrived) and by the time I got back into the room, the conversation was pretty much already well established (and no, I'm not about to just butt in on conversations... even if it is Hopkins). So I sat there, ate my cookie and tried to look interested in the conversation for the 10 minutes before my student interviewer (who was AWESOME, but I digress) called me.

I was never really in there long enough to do the small talk thing... before I knew it, both interviews were over and my day was pretty much finished.

At any rate... congrats to all the accepted students. :thumbup:

Is the interview in the waiting room thing true? I mean, because if so I'm kind of screwed. I was first up for my faculty interview so I didn't speak with any students then (they had just arrived) and by the time I got back into the room, the conversation was pretty much already well established (and no, I'm not about to just butt in on conversations... even if it is Hopkins). So I sat there, ate my cookie and tried to look interested in the conversation for the 10 minutes before my student interviewer (who was AWESOME, but I digress) called me.

I was never really in there long enough to do the small talk thing... before I knew it, both interviews were over and my day was pretty much finished.

Hey Severus,

for what it's worth, I think the waiting room thing is more about what you don't do then what you do. I have talked with several med students at Hopkins about this, and I have heard that it is basically a screen for people who try to dominate the conversation, are rude, etc. A lot of schools do something along those lines in terms of watching your interactions with admissions staff, etc. They just aren't as up front about the fact that they are watching. If you interviews went well, I doubt the lack of waiting room talk will matter at all.

Just my two cents though. Take it for what it's worth (practically nothing)

I totally missed out on the cookies... I had some extremely salty salt and vinegar chips instead. Dropped the ball on that one...:(

Love the "tra la la" reference, btw, if that's what your avatar is. those swedes know how to party.

I was in the EXACT same situation as you. I literally did not say one word in that waiting room. And I got in.

Like was said above, I think it's more what you don't do than what you do.

I was in the EXACT same situation as you. I literally did not say one word in that waiting room. And I got in.

Like was said above, I think it's more what you don't do than what you do.

Well let's hope it works for me like it did for you. ;)

Thanks Towelie and eurozo...you've put my mind at ease.

Hey Danjo,

As far as advice, I think there is much ado about nothing as far as the "interview in the waiting room" concept, where the med students in the waiting room with you are on the adcom and are judging you. As long as you have reasonable social skills (and judging by this website, you certainly do) then that part is no big deal.

Most people I talked to said they didn't get any healthcare or ethics questions. I didn't.

I am fairly sure that both the student and faculty member you interview with is on the adcom, so it is a more important student interview than at most schools. Also, I was speedy with thank you notes, as I think they actually discuss your app at the meeting several weeks later, rather than simply sending in a writeup, so the thank you note will probably arrive before the decision is made.

Overall, it's no big deal though. You will do great.

Also, the student may ask for you MCAT info, just as a warning. They don't have access to it, but mine asked.

Finally, if you can make it to the informal meeting the night before, I suggest you do so. I met a bunch of first years, just back from IM soccer, who all seemed very chill and cool.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions. Again, I am a MS0 just like you, so I don't have any inside scoop, just my own experiences there.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the advice!

I think they told us that the students would be "evaluating" us. Other schools probably do this as well. Always good to remember admissions staff names and be gracious. Best to have your game face on the whole day.

Our conversation was pretty general stuff and was more where they lived, what they liked to do in B'More, etc. Not a big deal. I agree that they were looking for just terrible things, other than that, all was good. Also to note, when we left (the interviewees, as a group) the students "observing" us left with us. None of them stayed behind to write evalutations, etc. Just saying...

Anyone know how much staying in Reed Hall is per year? And what about utilities?

For those of you that are not from Baltimore, we just had a HUGE electricity rate hike (72%), so factor that in too.

Anyone know how much staying in Reed Hall is per year? And what about utilities?

For those of you that are not from Baltimore, we just had a HUGE electricity rate hike (72%), so factor that in too.

If you are staying in the suite it is around 350 a month. Utilities are included, and internet is free. No cable though, and you have to pay for the phone line if you want one. No parking. You can either purchase parking for 120 in the garage nextdoor, or use the free satellite parking. It is a good deal, if you do not have a significant other or a pet. I guess it is the cheapest deal, but make sure you take a tour before signing the lease, because you have to sign it for a year (you can break the lease for a penalty, but verify that with the reed office). There are two kinds of suites: for two people or for four people (in either case: one bathroom and shower per suite, living area and a tiny kitchen with a stove and refrigerator).

The west side of Reed is the one with a dorm layout(single rooms without a kitchen but with communal bathrooms and showers), that's the side where you can stay during interviews. I am not that big on communal bathroom and shower idea, and I am not sure about not having a kitchen. Hot plates are not allowed, but most people have them on the west side anyways.

If you are staying in the suite it is around 350 a month. Utilities are included, and internet is free. No cable though, and you have to pay for the phone line if you want one. No parking. You can either purchase parking for 120 in the garage nextdoor, or use the free satellite parking. It is a good deal, if you do not have a significant other or a pet. I guess it is the cheapest deal, but make sure you take a tour before signing the lease, because you have to sign it for a year (you can break the lease for a penalty, but verify that with the reed office). There are two kinds of suites: for two people or for four people (in either case: one bathroom and shower per suite, living area and a tiny kitchen with a stove and refrigerator).

The west side of Reed is the one with a dorm layout(single rooms without a kitchen but with communal bathrooms and showers), that's the side where you can stay during interviews. I am not that big on communal bathroom and shower idea, and I am not sure about not having a kitchen. Hot plates are not allowed, but most people have them on the west side anyways.

Hi All,

I'm a first-year living in Reed now. I don't mean to knit-pick, but I just wanted to update some of the information you provided because some of those policies are different this year.

Rent on the suite side is $425/month. Phone is included. Parking in the McElderry lot is $115/month (but satellite parking is free and several people in Reed take that option). Suite sizes are 4 and 8 people. Rent for the 8-person suite is a little cheaper than $425, but it's pretty negigible (the common room for those are twice as large with two kitchens compared to the 4-person suites). Rent on the single side is either $350 or $375--I can't remember. I would HIGHLY recommend living in the suite side over the singles side.

My lease is 9-months (when I called last year asking about a 1-year lease, they told me that only 9-months were possible--although I think you can add on the summer at a later date).

There's no cable, but you can get decent reception with an antenna. There's a common room with a TV on the 1st floor.

Good luck and we look forward to seeing you next year!

Hi All,

I'm a first-year living in Reed now. I don't mean to knit-pick, but I just wanted to update some of the information you provided because some of those policies are different this year.

Rent on the suite side is $425/month. Phone is included. Parking in the McElderry lot is $115/month (but satellite parking is free and several people in Reed take that option). Suite sizes are 4 and 8 people. Rent for the 8-person suite is a little cheaper than $425, but it's pretty negigible (the common room for those are twice as large with two kitchens compared to the 4-person suites). Rent on the single side is either $350 or $375--I can't remember. I would HIGHLY recommend living in the suite side over the singles side.

My lease is 9-months (when I called last year asking about a 1-year lease, they told me that only 9-months were possible--although I think you can add on the summer at a later date).

There's no cable, but you can get decent reception with an antenna. There's a common room with a TV on the 1st floor.

Good luck and we look forward to seeing you next year!

Thanks for all the info! Do you know anyone who uses satellite parking? Just how in/convenient is it?

Thanks for all the info! Do you know anyone who uses satellite parking? Just how in/convenient is it?

Yeah, in fact I do.

It's not that bad. The satellite lot is 2 miles away from the main campus, so every Monday morning I drive my car from the McElderry lot (which is free on weekends) to the satellite and take a Hopkins shuttle bus back to campus. Since I don't need my car often on weekdays, I just leave my car at the lot overnight and pick it up on Friday and take it back to the McElderry lot. Btw, the McElderry lot is right outside Reed Hall.

Overall, it takes me ~30 minutes a week to move my car around. I think it's worth the $115 I save. Plus, I have easy access to my car on weekends. Some students living off campus also use the satellite lot if they commute to school. If you think you'll be needing your car on a daily basis, it might not be worth the hassle. The primary users of the satellite lot are Hopkins employees, so it's a decent size and the shuttles run from 6am-10pm Monday-Friday.

Also, you can still do a parking contract for the McElderry lot when you sign your Reed hall Contract and then back out of the parking part down the line if you just want to see if the convenience is worth it.

Blue1012, how have you and your peers found the financial aid office at Hopkins? I'm interesed in getting perspectives on Hopkins' financial aid from current students. I'm in love with the school, but am in the bad situation of having well-to-do parents who will not contribute a cent to my medical education.

Blue1012, how have you and your peers found the financial aid office at Hopkins? I'm interesed in getting perspectives on Hopkins' financial aid from current students. I'm in love with the school, but am in the bad situation of having well-to-do parents who will not contribute a cent to my medical education.

The fin aid is need-based. There are outside scholarships, the same ones that are available to everybody: Soros, USA funds, etc. On the other hand 60 or 70 % of the class receives some kind of grant. it might be not a full tuition, but every little bit helps. I know several people who have "full rides", but all of them also have financial need.
And yes, they make you show yr parents income tax. But if you can prove that you are independent (and that yr parents do not claim you on their income tax) you will receive at least something. Call the fin aid office and talk to them, explain your situation and ask when you will get the finaid award letter (and if possible to mail it sooner because your decision will be based on your award).
Just for your information: tuition here is around 33K, living expenses are low: you can live in Reed and you do not have to have a car. Opportunities are endless and you will be taught by very passionate and dedicated professors.
Pm me if you have any questions.

Hi Everyone,

I was just reading about the JHU Simulation Center here:
http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/simulation/about/index.html

Did you have the opportunity to visit this center during your interview day? How did it compare to some of the other sim centers you have seen (WISER Center at Pitt, Harvard, etc)?

For the current JHU students:

Have you had the opportunity to use this center? Can you sign up for individual training?

Thanks!

Hi Everyone,

Did you have the opportunity to visit this center during your interview day? How did it compare to some of the other sim centers you have seen (WISER Center at Pitt, Harvard, etc)?

Have you had the opportunity to use this center? Can you sign up for individual training?

Thanks!

To my understanding, it's being built right now. The scheduled completion is "Early 2007."

Hi Everyone,

Thanks!

Nope, we didn't see it on my interview in sept. The only other simulation center I've seen is at OSU and it looked pretty awesome. (Supposedly with a $500,000 mannequin. )

We do have the Clinical Skills center: we use it throughout 2nd and 3rd year (not sure about 4th). I am not sure if it will move to the new building when med school is built. For now it is in the hospital. We have clinical skills once a week starting in 2nd year, and have an opportunity examining real patients on the floor, or standardized patients (also we have Neonatal, Cardio, GU and Neuro training separately). The rooms are real exam rooms the only addition is a camera. Not sure about that fancy simulator machines. But maybe they are used in the 3rd year. I will ask when I have a chance. We did phlebotomy and IVC training on the rubber arms, but in my opinion practicing on each other was more helpful (you are not forced to stick yr partner, but if both of you are OK with it they allow you to do it, and everybody I know practiced on each other).

Ask about it during interview, they will be more than happy to answer and it will show your interest in the school.

Most of the simulator stuff is probably in development - the computer programs that the website mentions aren't integrated in the curriculum yet but may be when they switch the curriculum to the new one.

I agree with Bubchik in that as far as procedures go, practicing on humans is far better than simulators. Sounds kind of scary, but you are never in a position of doing a procedure without someone right over your shoulder telling you what to do every step of the way, if that's what you need. Also, to learn the basics of most procedures, there are mannequins or other assorted fake things (pigs' feet for suturing, mannequins for intubation, rubber arms for IVs and phlebotomy) as part of the individual clerkships when you might be doing those things.

Standardized patients are fully integrated into the curriculum, and you can indeed sign up for individual sessions with "patients" when you are learning the physical exam 2nd year. Most of the basic clerkships also have standardized patients as part of the final exam, and there is a comprehensive exam in the 4th year with 6 SPs, I guess intended to prepare you for Step 2 CS, which will be a graduation requirement next year (this year we just had to take it, but passing isn't hard). There are also SPs who deal with social issues like elder care, delivery of bad news, etc. etc. woven into clerkships and the PAS course. There is definitely no shortage of practice patients.

Thank you for all of your help Bubchik and Rapid Decomp!

I'll see if I can check out the facility during my interview day!

Did you guys get any since of how flexible it is to take time off for Step 1?

Did you guys get any since of how flexible it is to take time off for Step 1?
The schedule will completely change due to new curriculum. I think my class (and maybe c/o 2010) will be the last one who has an opportunity to schedule all the rotations individually. Hopkins is moving towards the preset tracks. It seems like a good idea, but not as flexible. I am sure they will give time off for Step1, plus we do not have to take it right away after second year. Lots of people I know took it in December of the 3rd year after surgery and/or medicine rotations.

For now, the requirement to graduate is 80 weeks of rotations (that includes 3rd and 4 th year). If you do research between M1 and M2 it counts towards rotation credit. So the math is like this: 50 weeks of basic rotations plus 30 weeks of electives (minus summer between M1 and M2, that varies from 4 to 10 weeks). Our second year ends on March 16th, so we can start rotations on March 26th. Whatever free time is left after the required weeks you can take a vacation, do extra electives, take USMLE, get married, etc.

However, the basic rotations do follow a certain calender (quaters).

PM me if you have questions.

The fin aid is need-based. There are outside scholarships, the same ones that are available to everybody: Soros, USA funds, etc. On the other hand 60 or 70 % of the class receives some kind of grant. it might be not a full tuition, but every little bit helps. I know several people who have "full rides", but all of them also have financial need.
And yes, they make you show yr parents income tax. But if you can prove that you are independent (and that yr parents do not claim you on their income tax) you will receive at least something. Call the fin aid office and talk to them, explain your situation and ask when you will get the finaid award letter (and if possible to mail it sooner because your decision will be based on your award).
Just for your information: tuition here is around 33K, living expenses are low: you can live in Reed and you do not have to have a car. Opportunities are endless and you will be taught by very passionate and dedicated professors.
Pm me if you have any questions.

nononononononono! I'm a first year w/parents who make a lot and aren't paying for anything, and I got NOTHING (except the stafford stuff I qualified for via fafsa). I said "my parents aren't paying for anything" every chance I got on the hopkins finaid app, talked to them about my situation, and still got nothing.

That being said, I LOVE it here! Just didn't want people to be misinformed on the finaid thing.

Does Hopkins have any dual degree programs other than the MD-PhD?

nononononononono! I'm a first year w/parents who make a lot and aren't paying for anything, and I got NOTHING (except the stafford stuff I qualified for via fafsa). I said "my parents aren't paying for anything" every chance I got on the hopkins finaid app, talked to them about my situation, and still got nothing.

That being said, I LOVE it here! Just didn't want people to be misinformed on the finaid thing.

This does not sound good :(

I am sorry to here that. I was under impression that if you can prove that yoou are independent (ie filing your own income tax) they would take it into an account. have you tried meeting with them in person? Several of my classmates have filed an appeal last year and got more money this year in grant, not loans.

Any thoughts on online lecture materials?

I hear a lot of people at Hopkins don't go to class because they can listen to/view the lecture online in 1/2 to 1/4 of the time. Is that true?

Any thoughts on online lecture materials?

I hear a lot of people at Hopkins don't go to class because they can listen to/view the lecture online in 1/2 to 1/4 of the time. Is that true?

Completely true. The convenience factor is huge, particularly for those mornings when you don't want to wake up to go to 8 am class. I went to class most of the time to keep myself structured and make sure I didn't fall behind - most of my classmates did as well. I also can't follow the chipmunk speech that comes from watching an hour lecture in 15 minutes.