Official Jefferson Medical College Class of 2010!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I heart Biology said:
I was wondering if anyone has heard about their housing assignments for next year? and if you have heard when did you turn in your housing paperwork? thanks

I submitted my housing app on March 1st and haven't heard a peep...

Members don't see this ad.

I called yesterday and they told me they have started assigning housing assignments for the ppl who submitted housing in oct..

On a happier note, woohoo!! got my email for ordering my white coat today! yea baby! (in a austin powers tone)

Tristy said:
I submitted my housing app on March 1st and haven't heard a peep...

wutev said:
I called yesterday and they told me they have started assigning housing assignments for the ppl who submitted housing in oct..

hey guys, i'm a first year right now. i lived off-campus this year, but am moving on campus over the summer...so i'm in the same boat housing-wise as you guys are. i just wanted to let you know it is moving. i submitted my housing form in january and heard yesterday.

welcome to jeff!

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted housing in april, but my roomate got in early decision, and her paperwork has been in since october. Does that mean they will go by her date, since we are living together, or by mine?

probablly the earlier one (ur roommate's), since they asked me whether my roommate's application was submitted earlier than mine.

DNAroolez said:
I submitted housing in april, but my roomate got in early decision, and her paperwork has been in since october. Does that mean they will go by her date, since we are living together, or by mine?

Does anybody know if we would need the meningitis shot if living in Barringer/Orlowitz?

Tristy said:
Does anybody know if we would need the meningitis shot if living in Barringer/Orlowitz?

I don't recall having to get one, but I don't live in Barringer or Orlowitz. I probably would have heard if it were required, though.

Did you get your University Health Services form? That's kind of the "big thing" that they go by, in terms of vaccinations, etc.

Hi everyone! I'd like to welcome everyone to Jefferson, as a current MS I. If any of you guys will definitely be coming next year, and you're interested in adolescent health, community outreach, let me know. We're looking for med students who'd like to go to a youth emergency shelter next year, and would definitely love for 1st years to be a part of that. Email us at [email protected] if you're interested! Welcome to Jefferson and enjoy the summer!

hey guys (or actually, girls)

i need help with white coat sizes. is it true we are supposed to go for one a couple sizes bigger than our actual dress size so it can fit over clothing? do we have a chance to try them on? i dont want something tight, but i dont want something that makes me look like a clown either! thoughts? tx.

aertzin said:
Scrambizle: Were you on the High Priority List? Just wondering if they started pulling people from that list yet? I'm on the High Priority list but haven't heard anything yet. Does anyone know? The waiting is killing me!!!!

I was on the high priority waitlist starting in Middle of February and got my call in the end of April...hang in there

ZBLINK said:
hey guys (or actually, girls)

i need help with white coat sizes. is it true we are supposed to go for one a couple sizes bigger than our actual dress size so it can fit over clothing? do we have a chance to try them on? i dont want something tight, but i dont want something that makes me look like a clown either! thoughts? tx.

I usually wear a 4, but since I was concerned about fitting over clothes, sweaters, etc... i ordered a 6... It's always easier to adjust a large clothing item to fit than a small one. So if the 6 is too big, I will take it to the cleaners and spend 5 dollars to get the sleeves taken in or the shoulders adjusted, whatever needs to be done.

DNAroolez said:
I usually wear a 4, but since I was concerned about fitting over clothes, sweaters, etc... i ordered a 6... It's always easier to adjust a large clothing item to fit than a small one. So if the 6 is too big, I will take it to the cleaners and spend 5 dollars to get the sleeves taken in or the shoulders adjusted, whatever needs to be done.

mine is about a size larger than what I wear and it fits nice. It has some extra room even with winter clothes though. Its better than being too small though. If I remember correctly you actually get to try it on before they give you one for good at orientation. And I wouldnt worry about the sleeves because theyre already made a lil short so they dont get in the way when youre doing messy things. :p Hope everyone is getting excited! Orientation is such a blast so be ready for a week of boring days of silly information but amazing nights that make up for it! Hopefully I'll be there to relive my orientation before I start second year ;) Keep the questions coming by the way. Those of us who are first years right now would love the chance to procrastinate studying for neuro finals! Oh and housing is moving. They will probably let you know within the next few weeks.

afr0dite01 said:
Keep the questions coming by the way. Those of us who are first years right now would love the chance to procrastinate studying for neuro finals!

here's some neuro procrastination for ya:

are there any computer requirements at Jeff? I'm having a hard time trying to find them if they do exist. I'm leaning towards buying a mac [not sure which model yet though] and I just want to make sure this won't be a problem.

any thoughts??

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey folks,
I've been trying to sort out my alternative loans and all that business. Apparently there is a new federal loan program called the Federal graduate plus loan which I wasn't aware of until today and I thought you all might be interested in. It's basically an extension of the federal unsubsidized stafford loan (sort of an alternative to an alternative loan, if that makes any sense). It offers a fixed rate at 8.5 % (although wells fargo offers a discount fixed at 8.00 %) and it's only dependent on your credit history, not your credit score. Looks pretty good to me, considering interest rates are going up in july...but i was wondering what your thoughts on it are? Thanks heaps.

rk

Thanks for letting us know - it looks better, or at least more predictable than the variable rate loans. For my undergrad I took out an alternative loan. It started at 6.25% but within a year or so, the rate jumped to 9.25%!!! Thankfully its paid off now but I was dreading doing it again.
When I was on http://finaid.org/otheraid/medical.phtml, I found that sallie mae and some other lenders offer special things upon repayment of the GradPlus loan, like dropping the interest rate down to 7% when you do things like automatic withdraw. I'm also suprised to find that some lenders will let you complete your residency prior to repayment.

If any of you have had good experiences with one type of loan vs. another or is fond of a particular lender, could you give us all a heads up? Thanks!

Hey,

Don't know about alternative loans, but do know that THE has turned out to be a great lender for Stafford Loans for people who have now consolidated (we're on our way out). They seem to have some great perks compared to the other lenders people choose (like me, argh). Apparently this info wasn't available when I started, but I wish I would have known.

Hey lobster1,
I noticed under the sallie mae grad plus loan the interest is capped at 9%...however, on most other sites it says that the interest is capped at 8.5% (by the government). Not sure if they're trying to pull something there or not. So far, Wells Fargo still seems to be the best deal to me (although that may be because i'm borrowing my stafford funds through them and just want to deal with the same company) WF has it capped at 8% and you can get an additional 1.75% taken off after you start repayment. Check it out here: https://www.wellsfargo.com/student/loans/graduate/plusgrad

Sure do hate dealing with this stuff.

rk

rush2 said:
here's some neuro procrastination for ya:

are there any computer requirements at Jeff? I'm having a hard time trying to find them if they do exist. I'm leaning towards buying a mac [not sure which model yet though] and I just want to make sure this won't be a problem.

any thoughts??

These are the computer recommendations per a Jefferson e-mail

"Minimum HW/OS/SW Requirements:
Windows 2000
Pentium III 700Mhz processor
256mb of RAM
20GB hard drive
DVD-ROM drive

Recommended HW/OS/SW Requirements:
Windows XP
Pentium 4 1.6Ghz processor
384mb of RAM
40GB hard drive
DVD-ROM drive/CDR-W Drive
USB "keychain" storage drive

Recommended Wireless Network Cards:
Apple Airport Card / MAC-OS 10.3
Apple Airport Express Card / MAC-OS 10.3
Cisco Aironet 350 / MS/Windows-XP
LinkSys Dual-band wireless a+g WPC55ag / MS/Windows-XP
D-link DWLg520 Rev. B or higher / MS/Windows-XP"

I didn't see any requirements either, just these recommendations.

Theres no requirements computer wise. It does have those recommendations but most computers that you would buy would qualify for them. The only thing is the network card which Ive heard has been a problem in the past but I havent heard of anyone having a problem recently. Most builtin wlan cards work but if it doesnt, it would suck to have to replace it. So maybe check with IT before you buy a computer to see if its compatible. Hopefully they know. They dont have the best rep at the school if there was one thing to talk bad about. Many ppl in my class have macs and I dont think they have a problem except for the way the professors post the power points. But a lot of professors use mac also so its not a huge problem. Hope that rambling helps!

hey has anyone received anything from jefferson yet?...like an acceptance packet of some sort?....information on orientation?....

i have recieved financial aid, housing (2 copies), alumni association, and a bunch of random stuff. nothing that I can't find online. maybe u should check out the link for the matriculating students.

http://www.jefferson.edu/jmc/admissions/matri.cfm

Does anyone know if the required reading "The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down" is, in fact, required? =)

myrahu said:
hey has anyone received anything from jefferson yet?...like an acceptance packet of some sort?....information on orientation?....

wutev said:
i have recieved financial aid, housing (2 copies), alumni association, and a bunch of random stuff. nothing that I can't find online. maybe u should check out the link for the matriculating students.

http://www.jefferson.edu/jmc/admissions/matri.cfm

Does anyone know if the required reading "The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down" is, in fact, required? =)

You'll discuss it in small group, and there'll be like one question on an MP21 exam somewhere. It's actually a pretty good book and an easy read, especially if you skip over the history parts.

Just wondering if any incoming first years have heard from Housing yet. I sent in my app in November and have yet to hear a word. If anyone has actually heard, do they call and tell you what floor the apartment they're offering you is on and when it's available so that you can choose a move-in date? Thanks! :)

CruiseGrl7 said:
Just wondering if any incoming first years have heard from Housing yet. I sent in my app in November and have yet to hear a word. If anyone has actually heard, do they call and tell you what floor the apartment they're offering you is on and when it's available so that you can choose a move-in date? Thanks! :)

I got my housing today. Someone called and told me where I was living (building, room, and room type). They also give you a move in date (mine is the 27th), although if you don't like it, I suppose you could ask to change it.

So I'm sure you'll be hearing soon as I sent mine in sometime in November too.

Does anyone know the actual amount of JMC tuition for 06-07? I think it is 39,XXX but wanted to get an exact value... Fin Aid doesn't know and tuition office is not answering/returning calls. Thanks in advance

ZBLINK said:
Does anyone know the actual amount of JMC tuition for 06-07? I think it is 39,XXX but wanted to get an exact value... Fin Aid doesn't know and tuition office is not answering/returning calls. Thanks in advance

This is what shows on Banner: $39,625.00

Bump!

Any news on housing? I'm going nuts with this wait, hold on! that's what I've been doing since 2004 - waiting! :rolleyes:
Anyway, I'm just getting a little impatient to get out of the midwest...soon... :sleep:

Hey there I just talked to the housing people. I had a couple of questions:
1. If my roomate had submitted her application in January what is a realistic time frame to be hearing from them?
They said the next couple of weeks (not comforting!)
2. The availability of triples and if they are filled up yet.
They said triples are always very hard to get because there aren't too many of them (also not comforting!)

So it seems like it is moving, but I have to admit I am a little worried. I really don't want to be sharing bedrooms (as much as I like my roomates, it's not the same.) It would be a bummer if they placed the three of us in a two bedroom.

DNAroolez said:
Hey there I just talked to the housing people. I had a couple of questions:
1. If my roomate had submitted her application in January what is a realistic time frame to be hearing from them?
They said the next couple of weeks (not comforting!)
2. The availability of triples and if they are filled up yet.
They said triples are always very hard to get because there aren't too many of them (also not comforting!)

So it seems like it is moving, but I have to admit I am a little worried. I really don't want to be sharing bedrooms (as much as I like my roomates, it's not the same.) It would be a bummer if they placed the three of us in a two bedroom.

Unless you're adamant about wanting three people in an apartment and you specifically request it, I can't imagine that they'd ever put three people in a two bedroom apartment.

Okay I realize that this forum is not a magic 8 ball, but I submitted my housing in April! Am I ever going to hear from housing?

I am worried that I am going to get stuck in one of the dorm rooms with a roommate (GASP). I am having flashbacks to freshman year, it was not pretty....

Anyone else in my situation?

zippyjent said:
Okay I realize that this forum is not a magic 8 ball, but I submitted my housing in April! Am I ever going to hear from housing?

I am worried that I am going to get stuck in one of the dorm rooms with a roommate (GASP). I am having flashbacks to freshman year, it was not pretty....

Anyone else in my situation?

By your user name, I'm thinking this is Jen. Heyy!! Hope your summer is going well. :) I also was concerned about the difficulty of getting Housing, but at Second Look I asked to see a sample apartment and they had no problem finding an empty one to show me. If anything, the last offerings are probably 2BR apartments (what they were able to let me see since it was empty in April), but you'd still have your own room within it and not be going back to communal bathroom/dorm living. I submitted in November and lucked out getting my first choice...a studio in Barringer. Even though you put yours in later, I don't think you have any worries of being forced into the dorms. Good luck, let me know what happens :love: Lauren

Hey guys. I know youre all stressing but with exception of the studios and the three bedrooms, you should all be able to get something on campus that you want or that you can deal with. They dont give you something you dont want. You can tell that you want something else and theyll do their best to accommodate. If worse comes to worse, there is plenty of close off campus housing thats also convenient. So enjoy your summers!!!

Hi everyone

Were your assigned move-in dates mostly before or after the ones you requested? I haven't gotten my assignment yet, but I want to line up an inexpensive moving company that needs a two-week window. I requested July 15. thanks!

hey, i don't remember what move-in date i requested, but i've got july 13th if that helps (barringer)?

ZBLINK said:
Hi everyone

Were your assigned move-in dates mostly before or after the ones you requested? I haven't gotten my assignment yet, but I want to line up an inexpensive moving company that needs a two-week window. I requested July 15. thanks!

They're on February applications right now, so March and April should be hearing in the next couple of weeks. Wow, the 13th seems a little early - the person I talked to at the housing office indicated that the move in dates were later. I can't move in till the 20th.

Oh and if anyone isn't living on campus and needs a roommate, let me know. I'm a pretty clean guy...pretty chill...I'll do dishes and stuff...

I can't believe orientation starts 6 weeks from today! That is so soon... Does anyone know what kind of fun stuff they have planned for us (besides the obvious stuff, white coat...)?

(ps and i still dont know where i'm living!)

scrambizle said:
They're on February applications right now, so March and April should be hearing in the next couple of weeks. ...

That's great to know, thanks for the update! I am on the March batch so I guess it won't be too long.

scrambizle said:
They're on February applications right now, so March and April should be hearing in the next couple of weeks. Wow, the 13th seems a little early - the person I talked to at the housing office indicated that the move in dates were later. I can't move in till the 20th.

Well my one possible roommate submitted our stuff in january and we havne't heard yet. how did you find out they were on feb applications?

I called yesterday and they said they were working on applications submitted in Feb

Hey, everyone,
A postbac here who was just officially admitted to Jefferson, so I'm pretty excited about it. Seems like there're a million and one things to do in the next month+, though, so I better get started on it, lest they turn me away at the door ;-)

Also, it's looking unlikely that I'll be living on-campus, so if anybody would like to find an apartment with me near the 10th/11th and Walnut area, let me know.
I'm somewhere in the middle on cleanliness for guys, don't smoke, early to bed/wake up. Probably looking for a three-person/bedroom apartment. Also, I'm living around Philly these days, so I can meet up downtown whenever - for either apartment searching or if anybody wants to go get drinks sometime.

Looking forward to meeting you all,
A

DNAroolez said:
I can't believe orientation starts 6 weeks from today! That is so soon... Does anyone know what kind of fun stuff they have planned for us (besides the obvious stuff, white coat...)?

(ps and i still dont know where i'm living!)

Well Monday-Thursday you'll pretty much be in the lecture hall from 9-2 or so hearing from various people in financial aid, student affairs, etc and hearing all about life here at Jefferson.(Not Friday, because that is the White Coat ceremony) At your orientation on Monday morning, the freshmen assistance committee (FAC) hands out a schedule of events that they have planned for you guys. For each day, it basically consisted of one 'family friendly' type event and one bar event for each day. There were various lunches held and the entire week is basically a meet and greet before classes start. I'm not sure what the deal is this year, but we were supposed to have events the weekend before orientation started too, but there was an error with the email system, so we basically set up our own mini bar crawl through this thread and the JMC discussion board on the pulse site. I think i heard that you guys are going to have some events through the FAC that weekend, but I guess you'll have to wait and see if that's true or not. Hope everyone is enjoying their summers, and that you're all getting excited for first year!

I am not sure if anyone asked this before, but sorry if they did. I noticed that they said you could only bring 3 people to the white coat ceremony. Is this something they ask you to do or do you actually only get 3 tickets. I would like to have both my parents and sisters come, so I was wondering if there is a way to get around the 3 person limit. thanks

i'm full of questions today...does anyone know of students who have split a two bedroom between 3 people by having someone live in the living room. and if you do know someone did it work out well or was it a bad set up. thanks

I heart Biology said:
I am not sure if anyone asked this before, but sorry if they did. I noticed that they said you could only bring 3 people to the white coat ceremony. Is this something they ask you to do or do you actually only get 3 tickets. I would like to have both my parents and sisters come, so I was wondering if there is a way to get around the 3 person limit. thanks

I don't think many people will be able to answer that for you since we don't know where your white coat ceremony will be. Ours was outside on Scott Plaza, which doesn't exist anymore, so we really could bring as many people as we wanted. I'm not sure where they are planning to have yours. That being said, even if they do a ticket system this year, you'd probably be able to get an extra ticket for someone in your immediate family.

Hey Everybody! My husband and I made a neat sweatshirt with our mascot and school colors and all, but in my excitement I didn't think before posting the picture. I'll certainly check with Jefferson before making it, but while I'm working on that, it might be easier to search for something already being made. Has anyone found any school related clothing?

another question....I know that parking garages are expensive but I was wondering if anyone knew of any that were around the jefferson campus. I have no idea how to do a search for them, but if anyone knows how to it would be really helpful. thanks.

Here's the website for the Philadelphia Parking Authority:

http://www.philapark.org/parkinglocator/parking_locator.aspx?destinationID=71

I didn't investigate it too thoroughly, but it looks like it has the info you're looking for. Good luck finding a parking spot :)
-Austin

I heart Biology said:
another question....I know that parking garages are expensive but I was wondering if anyone knew of any that were around the jefferson campus. I have no idea how to do a search for them, but if anyone knows how to it would be really helpful. thanks.

Hey guys just so you all know, there are a bunch of the upcoming second year class going to the wednesday afternoon happy hours in the city so if you wanted to come meet up with us, let me know and ill tell you the location of the week.

Also about the sweatshirts. Thats awesome to take initiative but just to be sure you dont get in trouble for it you should probably check with someone in the student activities office because of all the copyright issues and stuff like that. They're very particular with what the jefferson name and logo goes on.

Hope you all are enjoying your summers! Its going to go fast and before you know it, youll be swimming in work. But enjoy the time you have now and most certainly enjoy orientation! I'll be there partying with you I'm sure! ;)

afr0dite01 said:
Also about the sweatshirts. Thats awesome to take initiative but just to be sure you dont get in trouble for it you should probably check with someone in the student activities office because of all the copyright issues and stuff like that. They're very particular with what the jefferson name and logo goes on.

SNAP! Thanks for bringing that up. Jefferson having an issue with it didn't even occur to me. I'll remove it for now and check with Jeff about that.

I got a phone call from jefferson today sayign they put me in a double in orlowitz, but they wont give me the contact info for the roommate they assigned me (which i find to be ridiculous). I was wondering if anyone else got a housing offer today and it happened to be in orlowitz. let me know so i may have a chance to actually to speak with my possible future roommate