**Official Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2014-2015**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just when you think you have a strong application and rocked your interviews and then... wait list
tumblr_inline_nmix2spXkF1r79k32_500.gif

Reactions: 33 users
Members don't see this ad :)
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::shifty::rofl::rofl::rofl:On floor laughing from that one! So True!!

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry I've been busy and haven't responded to anything. Here's an update:

Interviewed: Columbia 9/12, Western 10/4, USC 11/12, Pitt 1/26, UCLA 4/13
Waitlisted: Columbia 1/14, Western
Accepted: USC 2/27, Pitt 3/24, UCLA 4/15
Rejected: UCSF 9/29, Washington 3/11, VCU 3/16, Tufts 4/9

Residency: CA
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/7/14
Application complete date: 6/20/14
sGPA: 4.06 or 3.96
oGPA: 3.99 or 3.88
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 23/22/23/20/none

JUST GOT ACCEPTED OFF THE ALTERNATE LIST AT WESTERN!!!!!! :soexcited::soexcited::claps::claps::banana::banana::biglove::biglove:

All i have to say is, DONT GIVE UP, HAVE FAITH, and WAIT ON GOD!!!

Reactions: 21 users
JUST GOT ACCEPTED OFF THE ALTERNATE LIST AT WESTERN!!!!!! :soexcited::soexcited::claps::claps::banana::banana::biglove::biglove:

All i have to say is, DONT GIVE UP, HAVE FAITH, and WAIT ON GOD!!!

CONGRATS!!!!! SENDS SOME OF THOSE PRAYERS MY WAY :)

Reactions: 1 user
OF COURSE! Sending prayers for all those still waiting! And trust me, the power of prayer can make a big difference!
My undergrad stats were not great (sGPA: 2.5; oGPA: 2.8) but i got my life together and went to grad school for my masters (GPA: 3.8) with 20's across the board on my DAT's.

ITS NOT ALL STATS, TRUST ME! People told me with those stats, i need a miracle to get in! Don't give up and PRAY PRAY PRAY and you will get your miracle!

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!

Reactions: 12 users
Just got accepted to Pitt today, will be declining the offer. I hope someone gets a call next week! Good Luck

Members don't see this ad :)
It's April 18th and I am still trying to stay optimistic even though it's so hard to, anyone withdrawing from MWU-AZ recently?

OF COURSE! Sending prayers for all those still waiting! And trust me, the power of prayer can make a big difference!
My undergrad stats were not great (sGPA: 2.5; oGPA: 2.8) but i got my life together and went to grad school for my masters (GPA: 3.8) with 20's across the board on my DAT's.

ITS NOT ALL STATS, TRUST ME! People told me with those stats, i need a miracle to get in! Don't give up and PRAY PRAY PRAY and you will get your miracle!

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!

I mean... You have a 3.8 GPA on your masters and the average accepted DAT...

Reactions: 2 users
I mean... You have a 3.8 GPA on your masters and the average accepted DAT...

yes, but at one point he was in a giant hole with a 2.8gpa (like me) so he/she has basically been trying to climb out of it the last 1-2 years unlike most people. SO CONGRATS YOU DID IT!

Reactions: 4 users
yes, but at one point he was in a giant hole with a 2.8gpa (like me) so he/she has basically been trying to climb out of it the last 1-2 years unlike most people. SO CONGRATS YOU DID IT!

Oh, that's 100% true. Not saying it wasn't an amazing achievement to do what they did, my main concern was how they mentioned "It isn't all about stats," which, while correct, is a bit off in their situation.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh, that's 100% true. Not saying it wasn't an amazing achievement to do what they did, my main concern was how they mentioned "It isn't all about stats," which, while correct, is a bit off in their situation.

ill correct myself. its not all "undergrad" stats. though some schools do still weigh heavily on undergrad no matter how successful you are in grad school. if i was being looked at solely for my grad school stats i would have gotten more interviews than i did. in my case, it wasn't about stats, i was even told that, it was the fact that i transitioned well and progressed as i grew. i went through a bit of a rough time during my undergrad career, but i overcame my struggles and succeeded in grad school. so to them, to see someone struggle but overcome and succeed shows dedication. so its more of well-roundedness than solely stats

the reason for me posting my stats was to give hope to those who are worried about their stats. as we all have seen, students have had GPAs over 3.5 with average or higher DAT scores and still get rejected. similarly, students have had lower stats and get accepted! its difficult sometimes to understand what dental schools are looking for. from my experience, its well roundedness, a student that shows passion, dedication, hard work, etc. before i started my masters program, my director told me as long as i show progression, i stand a chance. i went from getting C's and D's In undergrad to B+'s and A's in grad school. at my interview i was told that when they compared my undergrad to my grad school career, it looked like 2 completely different students.

so for those who are in a similar position, i would advise looking into grad school programs and more importantly, make sure to show progression. if you start a masters program and are performing the same as you were in undergrad, that can hurt you more than it can help. Good luck guys!

Reactions: 5 users
Sorry I've been busy and haven't responded to anything. Here's an update:

Interviewed: Columbia 9/12, Western 10/4, USC 11/12, Pitt 1/26, UCLA 4/13
Waitlisted: Columbia 1/14, Western
Accepted: USC 2/27, Pitt 3/24, UCLA 4/15
Rejected: UCSF 9/29, Washington 3/11, VCU 3/16, Tufts 4/9

Residency: CA
Application complete date: 6/20/14
sGPA: 4.06 or 3.96
oGPA: 3.99 or 3.88
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 23/22/23/20/none

Congrats! Where did you decide on?

ill correct myself. its not all "undergrad" stats. though some schools do still weigh heavily on undergrad no matter how successful you are in grad school. if i was being looked at solely for my grad school stats i would have gotten more interviews than i did. in my case, it wasn't about stats, i was even told that, it was the fact that i transitioned well and progressed as i grew. i went through a bit of a rough time during my undergrad career, but i overcame my struggles and succeeded in grad school. so to them, to see someone struggle but overcome and succeed shows dedication. so its more of well-roundedness than solely stats

Yeah, the journey is definitely a big part. The fact you went from sub-par GPA to great GPA during your masters showed you can hold your own.

Just accepted off the waitlist at Columbia. Surprised doesn't even begin to cover it.

Application complete date: 8/15/14
Interview date: 1/9/15
GPA (science, overall) 3.05, 3.15
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 24/25/17/27/none

Reactions: 7 users
Just accepted off the waitlist at Columbia. Surprised doesn't even begin to cover it.

Application complete date: 8/15/14
Interview date: 1/9/15
GPA (science, overall) 3.05, 3.15
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 24/25/17/27/none
Wow congrats! Was there something with your app that made you stand out considering the low GPA is? Great job though

Wow congrats! Was there something with your app that made you stand out considering the low GPA is? Great job though

Thanks! The only thing I can think of that might have helped me get my foot in the door is that I did my undergrad in NYC at a school that has fairly strong ties to Columbia.

Yea look at his DAT!

Reactions: 3 users
Doesn't this sound nice:
Wait list = if no seats open up, you get a guaranteed seat for next year!

I like to daydream :)

Reactions: 8 users
Any news off of University of Michigans waitlist?

Doesn't this sound nice:
Wait list = if no seats open up, you get a guaranteed seat for next year!

I like to daydream :)

This would be a horrible way of doing things. Imagine how backed up the system will be.

You'll be fighting for waitlist spots and now it'll take 2 years to get into dental school, minimum. And you think waiting a year is bad.

School: University of Michigan School of Dentistry
Notification date: mid-March
Method of notification: phone call
Residency: OOS
AADSAS mail-out date: 2nd batch
Application complete date: mid-June
GPA (science, overall): 3.4, 3.5
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 21

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Just out of curiosity when schools say 15 days do they mean 15 business days or 15 days? LOL

when you need to submit something to them: days.
when they need to submit something to you:business days

Reactions: 10 users
Anyone on here who's:

1. Recently taken themselves off the acceptance list for NYU?
or
2. Recently been accepted off the waitlist at NYU?

1. I will most likely be removing myself this week but not 100% sure yet.
2. A friend got in off the waitlist yesterday.

Hello everyone!

So, I applied this cycle and I have been silently creeping on all of these forums all day, every day since June 1. I wasn't planning on making an account but I finally gave in today and decided to make one because I think I need some advice. I haven't been accepted to any schools yet but I currently hold waitlist positions at 3 schools (University of Michigan, University of Detroit Mercy, and University of Louisville).

I'm slowly coming to the realization that I will more than likely need to reapply. What are some things those of you who have to reapply will be doing? Are you completely redoing your personal statement and letters of recommendation? Do you know if we can input our information from this application to the next application cycle, or do we need to rewrite everything?

I'll be doing a 9 month Masters of Biomedical Sciences program starting this September and working on that while I'm reapplying. I have already registered to take the DAT again so I can get a better score (got an 18 AA the 1st time). My GPA is around a 3.5 and I've got enough extra curricular activities, volunteer hours, and job shadowing experience to cover about 4 applicants.

I spoke with some counselors from different dental schools that I interviewed at within the last few weeks and they said not to be too worried about my GPA/DAT score (which I was slightly surprised to hear considering I didn't think I did that fantastic). They told me that if DAT/GPA were a huge concern to them, I wouldn't have received an interview. So, other than improving my GPA and DAT, I'm at a loss of what else I can do. Any ideas?! Please help a (hopeful) future dentist out!

Hello everyone!

So, I applied this cycle and I have been silently creeping on all of these forums all day, every day since June 1. I wasn't planning on making an account but I finally gave in today and decided to make one because I think I need some advice. I haven't been accepted to any schools yet but I currently hold waitlist positions at 3 schools (University of Michigan, University of Detroit Mercy, and University of Louisville).

I'm slowly coming to the realization that I will more than likely need to reapply. What are some things those of you who have to reapply will be doing? Are you completely redoing your personal statement and letters of recommendation? Do you know if we can input our information from this application to the next application cycle, or do we need to rewrite everything?

I'll be doing a 9 month Masters of Biomedical Sciences program starting this September and working on that while I'm reapplying. I have already registered to take the DAT again so I can get a better score (got an 18 AA the 1st time). My GPA is around a 3.5 and I've got enough extra curricular activities, volunteer hours, and job shadowing experience to cover about 4 applicants.

I spoke with some counselors from different dental schools that I interviewed at within the last few weeks and they said not to be too worried about my GPA/DAT score (which I was slightly surprised to hear considering I didn't think I did that fantastic). They told me that if DAT/GPA were a huge concern to them, I wouldn't have received an interview. So, other than improving my GPA and DAT, I'm at a loss of what else I can do. Any ideas?! Please help a (hopeful) future dentist out!

Make your own thread and we'll do our best to help ya.

Hello everyone!

I think your stats are fine. I have the exact same thing and 3 interviews as well. If you really want to improve, I think retaking the DAT will be better than doing a master because your GPA is good.