Official: Harvard Extension School 2004

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
bstone said:
I just found a really swell (i love that word) studio apartment on Fairmont Ave. It's still under construction so I am crashing by a friend for now. How has the housing issue gone for everyone else?

It's been tough to find housing in the area. I went to Cambridge for a week to scout out places, post wanted ads, etc. I wanted a room for rent rather than an actual apartment though. I ended up with something down on Allston Street, about a ten minute walk from Central Square.

Ol' Blue Eyes

Members don't see this ad.

Ol' Blue Eyes said:
It's been tough to find housing in the area. I went to Cambridge for a week to scout out places, post wanted ads, etc. I wanted a room for rent rather than an actual apartment though. I ended up with something down on Allston Street, about a ten minute walk from Central Square.

Ol' Blue Eyes

i just moved into a place in porter sq last week. right by the t, bout a 10-15 min walk to harvard...not bad at all.

i am going to be taking bio and chem this fall. i went to the coop yesterday to check out the books and i'm wondering if it's worthwhile/necessary to invest in the "study guides"? do the professors use these? are they helpful? curioustom, scooter, anyone?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
ltrain said:
i am going to be taking bio and chem this fall. i went to the coop yesterday to check out the books and i'm wondering if it's worthwhile/necessary to invest in the "study guides"? do the professors use these? are they helpful? curioustom, scooter, anyone?

thanks!

For bio, no need. For gen. chem, no, unless the prof. told you to get it; definitely get the "Logan Note" which will be your salvation. For Orgo, if it is taught by Dr. Shaw, definitely get the solution manual which will be your great help.

just curious. thanks.

stoleyerscrubz said:
What book does Harvard Extension use for General Chemistry?

ltrain said:

thanks!

I second the solution guide for OChem. It really got me over the hump for doing well in the course. :thumbup:

stoleyerscrubz said:
just curious. thanks.

Hey man, Sorry I cant help you on this one.... never took GChem at HES.

stoleyerscrubz said:
just curious. thanks.

hey stoleyerscrubz - i just got my general chem book. it's "chemistry: the central science" by brown, lemay and bursten.

Thanks a ton!!

ltrain said:
hey stoleyerscrubz - i just got my general chem book. it's "chemistry: the central science" by brown, lemay and bursten.

is it just me, or does fixen's bio class seem very disorganized and not well run.

bstone said:
I wish it was more like the Chem E-1a where Prof McCarty has the logan notes and says you should only use the text book as a reference.

So, is it true that that is all we need to do to do well in prof McCarty's class? Just keep doing the Logan Notes? I know that is what he says, but I have to say that reading the Chem book probably can't hurt either.

MCole said:
Scooter31,

Yes, I would love the contact info!! :D

I'm off Mossland & Somerville by Porter Square. So excited! :p

I think what's most important is not just getting into the program and complete with a lot of debt. Is it worth investing in it? What does the success rate of former students looks like? Any one did some researching?

Thanks and much Love!

bstone said:
Just remember that he specifically said "if by the end of this class your book is highlighted in three colors, you probably got a C" or something like that. With the problem sets and Logan Notes and using the book as a reference instead of a manuscript to memorize, you will do fine in the class.

Now it's Bio that I wish we had something like the Logan notes for......hmmm.

As I mentioned earlier for gen chem just make sure you know the Logan note thoroughly, review lecture notes carefully, and if you have some time left check the text for obscure concepts. Moreover, if your algebra is strong, you will have an easy ride, at least based on my experience. For MCAT, however, the ability to calculate won't help much. One must "understand" and "see" all the behind the scene concepts. In short, gen chem is a very pleasant class with many interesting and useful knowledge about elements.

Members don't see this ad :)
LEELLISAA said:
I think what's most important is not just getting into the program and complete with a lot of debt. Is it worth investing in it? What does the success rate of former students looks like? Any one did some researching?

Thanks and much Love!

Again as I mentioned ealier the success rate given by the HES advisor is upper 85% or so. Few years back out of fifty-some sponsored everyone got in somewhere except two or three. Now it's true not everyone gets sponsored; you must be qualified (30+ on MCAT, 3.0+ GPA, etc). If you are, then it is worth investing for sure.

hey, any of you taking fixsen's bio found a good study group?

Hi. Does anyone have Dr. Fixsen's past exams? I am willing to purchase them. Please PM. Thanks.

Just introducing myself to the board, I finished HES last year, and it has been nothing but a success for me. Heck I might be some of y'alls orgo TF. I am happy to answer questions. And sadly no, I don't have Fixsen's old exams, but get them if you can. It will improve your grade greatly.

Curious Tom said:
Do not fear so much. If you enjoy learning science, the courses are fine. Getting an A shouldn't be a problem. If your intellectual capacity is average and you are taking the courses just to get into med school, then you may have some trouble getting A's.
If you need help, there are plenty of people including the professors who are willing to help you.

Can you go into more detail about the rigor of the classes? It is managble or crazy hard? I'm a little worried?

Thanx,

Exigente

If I only need one year of chemistry lab and one year of organic + lab, am I still eligible for HES Health Careers Program? I know I can still take classes but can I still get their sponsorship and be in the formal program? Thanks.

manboy said:
If I only need one year of chemistry lab and one year of organic + lab, am I still eligible for HES Health Careers Program? I know I can still take classes but can I still get their sponsorship and be in the formal program? Thanks.

hey,

the way it works is that you have to take a certain number of classes through HES, depending on what your undergrad GPA was - the lower the GPA, the more units they require before they'll sponsor you. so if you take the classes you need, plus however many more units they require, maintain at least a B average, get a 30 on your MCATs and pay your $500, then yes, they will sponsor you.

what you will not be eligible for is the health careers diploma. in order to get the diploma you have to take all the pre-med requirements and have had never taken them previously.

ltrain said:
hey,

the way it works is that you have to take a certain number of classes through HES, depending on what your undergrad GPA was - the lower the GPA, the more units they require before they'll sponsor you. so if you take the classes you need, plus however many more units they require, maintain at least a B average, get a 30 on your MCATs and pay your $500, then yes, they will sponsor you.

what you will not be eligible for is the health careers diploma. in order to get the diploma you have to take all the pre-med requirements and have had never taken them previously.

WIll you still have to complete the 15 month program and start in the summer? Or can you start in the fall?

exigente chica said:
WIll you still have to complete the 15 month program and start in the summer? Or can you start in the fall?

I beleive it is open enrollment and you can start at any time, however I'm not sure for those who qualify for the diploma.

exigente chica said:

it's my understanding that you can start anytime. if you're getting the diploma, i think they encourage you to take physics and chemistry the first year (two terms, fall and spring) and then bio and orgo the second. classes over the summer are through harvard summer school (not the extension school) and are 1) held during the day and 2) much more expensive. but then again, you get a whole year in an 8 week session.

ltrain said:
1) held during the day and 2) much more expensive. but then again, you get a whole year in an 8 week session.

After looking at the courses on the website it looks like they are only offered at night? Is this true? Can anyone who attended HES correct me on this?

Thanx,

Exigente :luck:

exigente chica said:
After looking at the courses on the website it looks like they are only offered at night? Is this true? Can anyone who attended HES correct me on this?

Thanx,

Yes, HES HCP course are offered only in the evening with the exception of the summer sessions mentioned in one the previous few posts. The summer school classes are $4000 for 8 credits where the HES classes are $800 for 4 credits. So, over this coming summer I'm taking the chem section (chem 1 & 2) which is during the day, 8 credits and $4000. During the fall I could take chem 1 and in the spring chem 2, and each course would cost $800...and they are in the evening...get it?

Ock :)

Only things is, it seems that Chem and Physics are both on Thursday night from 6-9pm. I suppose that's why people opt to take Chem during the summer?

Have you been accepted yet?

exigente chica said:
Only things is, it seems that Chem and Physics are both on Thursday night from 6-9pm. I suppose that's why people opt to take Chem during the summer?

Have you been accepted yet?

Physics is on Tuesdays

JRJ

I am curious to know how competitive the upper level courses are at HES. Are they very intense and cutthroat??

The bread and butter classes are not that bad-- put in the work, you'll be fine. I think the worst one for me was OChem, and even then, I did just fine. The prof was new, and he had a lot of debugging to do lecture and note wise that made it tough some days-- nothing that would detract from his ability to impart the info or disallow you form getting the big picture...

Upper division classes are pretty low key. The one that was tough for me was genetics. Big class, and the prof is a bit of a hard ass. Well the head prof is-- it is co taught, and the other cats lecturing were a bit mellower, for sure. I never took physio or immuno, and those seem to be popular UD courses, so I cant vouch for their chill factor. I went to a UC, and comparing my advanced courses to HES, HES is super duper chill. :thumbup:

ok, here's a question for all of you.

I seem to remember reading (quite awhile ago) that someone who was working at one of the Harvard-affiliated hospitals was able to take advantage of the Harvard TAP program. However, as I'm checking it out now, it seems that only those employees paid through Harvard University payroll are eligible for TAP. Anyone know anything otherwise?

thanks
-L

ltrain said:
ok, here's a question for all of you.

I seem to remember reading (quite awhile ago) that someone who was working at one of the Harvard-affiliated hospitals was able to take advantage of the Harvard TAP program. However, as I'm checking it out now, it seems that only those employees paid through Harvard University payroll are eligible for TAP. Anyone know anything otherwise?

thanks
-L

Yup this is correct. If you work at BWH, MGH, etc, you are an employee of Harvard University. Thus, TAP is yours for the taking. Dunno how it works, but it does-- at least it does for me :thumbup:

The application is so informal to me, no essays, etc. Aside from transcripts, do they ever ask for official copies of standardized test scores (SAT, etc.)?

Sundarban1 said:
The application is so informal to me, no essays, etc. Aside from transcripts, do they ever ask for official copies of standardized test scores (SAT, etc.)?

nope. i got an acceptance letter a week after i sent in all my stuff. i think they pretty much just want your hundred bucks.

also, just something to ponder is whether or not you plan to get sponsorship from your undergrad school or the extension school. if you are getting sponsorship from your undergrad, the only thing you're getting for your hundred bucks is the ability to meet with an adviser at HES a few times. the "health careers program" is really very unstructured and you don't gain any other benefits (like a harvard ID, access to gyms/libraries, etc) by being in the program. just fyi.

ltrain said:
nope. the "health careers program" is really very unstructured and you don't gain any other benefits (like a harvard ID, access to gyms/libraries, etc) by being in the program. just fyi.

Unless you're in the HCP diploma program, in which case you get all those other benefits. The diploma program is only for folks who have taken none of their pre-reqs yet.

Ockham

ltrain said:
the "health careers program" is really very unstructured and you don't gain any other benefits (like a harvard ID, access to gyms/libraries, etc) by being in the program. just fyi.

Thanks for your reply! However I thought someone has posted earlier that if you are not in the diploma program, but accecpted to HES, you can still access the libraries with the only stipulation that you carry a recepit of some sort?

BTW...anyone attending the information session for HES on Jan. 27??
Let me know!

Sundarban1 said:
BTW...anyone attending the information session for HES on Jan. 27??
Let me know!

I'll probably be there.

Ock
*and yes, I read that receipt thing too...don't know if that gym access though, just libraries.

ockhamsRzr said:
I'll probably be there.

Ock
*and yes, I read that receipt thing too...don't know if that gym access though, just libraries.

i think the deal is you can use the libraries if you present a receipt showing you're taking a class at HES. however, you'd have this receipt whether or not you're in the health careers program. also, i think it's just to go into the libraries, not privileges to actually take anything out (you have to pay a yearly membership for that).

and ock is right, if you're in it for the diploma you get all the benefits. must be nice...

Im considering moving from cali also for HES, is in state and out of state the same tuition?

What about the Harvard grade inflation stigma?

My gres are far better than my sats, should I just include those?

Ive been researching this for awhile and it looks like the best choice. This would have been a good fall term to be in boston instead of the san diego after tomorrow.

thanks

Morb said:
Im considering moving from cali also for HES, is in state and out of state the same tuition?

Ive been researching this for awhile and it looks like the best choice. This would have been a good fall term to be in boston instead of the san diego after tomorrow.

thanks

I'm not sure about grade inflation, from what I've read the pre-med classes are top notch, taught specifically for the MCAT. So I guess it depends on what classes your planning on taking.

As far as tuition, I beleive it is the same for both however I am not 100%.
I would not be too worried about SAT vs. GRE scores, definately submit the higher of the 2, but from what others have said they just want your $100 with most people getting immediate accecptance if you are applying for the HES program.
:luck:

Morb said:

thanks

1. Tuition is the same regardless of residency.
2. HCP has been well regarded for a very long time...I wouldn't even think about the grade inflation.
3. Include both or whatever you want. Acceptance isn't as competitive as, say, Goucher, the trick is staying in the program.

What's happening in SD tomorrow...the chargers? MArty's gonna win it all! :)

ockhamsRzr said:
What's happening in SD tomorrow...the chargers? MArty's gonna win it all! :)

thx both

rain, rain all week, which might help the jets against what appears to be an sd lock, however, steelers have the best team until someone proves otherwise

bravotwozero said:
Does Harvard have linkages?

Not from the extension school to the med school, if that's what you are asking. Anecdotally, Extension school students don't have any better chance at getting into harvard med than any other postbacc program...

Is there financial aid avaible for the summer sessions? When is FAFSA due for HES and the summer school?

exigente chica said:
Is there financial aid avaible for the summer sessions? When is FAFSA due for HES and the summer school?

hey, there is financial aid for harvard summer school, because i got a letter about it the other day. unfortunately, i'm not sure when the FAFSA is due for the summer. i'd try to call the financial aid office.

ltrain said:
hey, there is financial aid for harvard summer school, because i got a letter about it the other day. unfortunately, i'm not sure when the FAFSA is due for the summer. i'd try to call the financial aid office.

Got my trusty HCP handbook right here (straight from page 6):

To receive aid during the summer 2005 term:
-->submit FAFSA or Federal Renewal Application by February 11, 2005
-->complete and submit all materials to the Financial Aid Office by March 11, 2005
--> be admitted to Health Careers Program

Students meeting this deadline may expect to receive award letters after April 8, 2005

Hope that helps...the max stafford is $5250 per term (three terms per year) for 12 conseutive months. The HCP financial aid budget per term is $10,549 assuming you take 8 credits (which is required per term for federal aid).

OckhamsRzr

ockhamsRzr said:
Got my trusty HCP handbook right here (straight from page 6):

To receive aid during the summer 2005 term:
-->submit FAFSA or Federal Renewal Application by February 11, 2005
-->complete and submit all materials to the Financial Aid Office by March 11, 2005
--> be admitted to Health Careers Program

Students meeting this deadline may expect to receive award letters after April 8, 2005

Hope that helps...the max stafford is $5250 per term (three terms per year) for 12 conseutive months. The HCP financial aid budget per term is $10,549 assuming you take 8 credits (which is required per term for federal aid).

OckhamsRzr

What is the cost of the program? Someone earlier said it was $800 per class. But the website says "4 Units. Undergraduate $800 credit." Does that mean the class is $800 or $3200??

mhondy said:
What is the cost of the program? Someone earlier said it was $800 per class. But the website says "4 Units. Undergraduate $800 credit." Does that mean the class is $800 or $3200??

800/class. The biggies Physics/GCHem/OChem/anything with a lab basically will run you about 800. The upperdivision courses you mauy take (genetics, etc) I dont think will run you as much; I ended up paying about 1450-1500 a semester for two classes. :thumbup:

Not too shabby considering I'm doing grad work at Tufts now, and I got my bill for the spring; just about 8K for 2 classes :eek:

scooter31 said:
800/class. The biggies Physics/GCHem/OChem/anything with a lab basically will run you about 800. The upperdivision courses you mauy take (genetics, etc) I dont think will run you as much; I ended up paying about 1450-1500 a semester for two classes. :thumbup:

Not too shabby considering I'm doing grad work at Tufts now, and I got my bill for the spring; just about 8K for 2 classes :eek:

Why did ockham say the HCP budget was ~$10,500 per term? I figured it was 800/class, but his post confused me.