Official Harvard Extension 2013 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anybody have any tips on how to approach A&P exams? We have our first exam next monday and I don't really know what to focus on. Any advice? Are the exam study guides that she posts high-yield information? Should I spend a lot of time reading the book and lecture notes?

The lab we just did on the axial skeleton we covered a lot of material that was in the book but not in the lecture notes. It seemed like we covered every little bump and hole in the axial skeleton. Information overload. Oh, there's a little bump on that bone! Which process is that? Hah. I'm not complaining though, I'm enjoying the class so far. I can see this class getting out of hand though, especially if we keep up this pace I can only imagine what the final is gonna be like.

Lab practical - you better know every process, foramen, tuberosity and instertion/origin/function. It is a no-joke practical.

Lecture - study guide is high yield. She loves asking about the graphs and about hormone pathways. Exams are tough. As you read through your notes think about the ways that various pieces of information could be put together as a test question. Past exams will get you thinking the right way. Most MC questions are straight from connect.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the heads up on the lab practical. Not looking forward to it. :thumbup:

Good luck to all taking exams next week.

Does anyone have any idea what the schedules are like for the summer courses at Harvard (specifically, chem)? Is it still at night? The Summer schedule isn't released until January but I am trying to plan out possible routes through the HCP program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any idea what the schedules are like for the summer courses at Harvard (specifically, chem)? Is it still at night? The Summer schedule isn't released until January but I am trying to plan out possible routes through the HCP program.

Bio, Orgo, Chem and Physics are during the day.

Upper-level electives are at night (at least mine were)

Bio, Orgo, Chem and Physics are during the day.

Upper-level electives are at night (at least mine were)

Yeah, if you have a full time job you can't take the basic sciences at harvard extension during the summer.

There are other options in the city for taking evening summer classes. I did this and it didn't affect my HCP sponsorship. I'm not sure if it mattered that I had no GPA/MCAT requirement for my sponsorship, just the requirement to complete a certain number of credits at Harvard Extension. If you need to go elsewhere during the summer to keep you on your chosen schedule and want a HCP committee letter, you should probably check with Fixsen first about your specific situation.

For those of you who did the one year track at HES, how did you MCAT study schedule/test date and application schedule differ? I'm trying to figure out how to organize my time so that I do not submit my materials too late, but given the amount of time I have to dedicate to my courses, the study schedules recommended the most on SDN might not work for me.

I am already thinking about my statement and will write several drafts over winter break, as well as do MCAT prep, especially for general chemistry, since I took it last year.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Hey all

I'm planning on attending HES fall of 2014. Currently, my cGPA is 2.96, and my sGPA is 2.73. I'm enrolling at my local CC to take a couple of course (Trig [need to get on par for calculus :oops:] and Anatomy - I did very well in high school on these, so I'm very confident in my ability to do well). Assuming I get A's in both, that'll bring my cGPA to a 2.99 and my sGPA to a 3.22. Do you think it's worth it to apply for a sponsorship and explain (the grades will not be in effect yet, final grades aren't out until May), or should I just attend, and then apply for sponsorship my second year of courses? I'm a URM, does that have any weight on being accepted? Either way, I'm going, just wondering if anyone has any experience in regards to this. I know the minimum is 3.0, so I'm just scraping the bare minimum.

Thanks for any help anyone is able to provide. :)

So, I got accepted. Thus officially ends my HES experience. Good luck to everyone applying this year and to those still going through the post-bacc.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey all

I'm planning on attending HES fall of 2014. Currently, my cGPA is 2.96, and my sGPA is 2.73. I'm enrolling at my local CC to take a couple of course (Trig [need to get on par for calculus :oops:] and Anatomy - I did very well in high school on these, so I'm very confident in my ability to do well). Assuming I get A's in both, that'll bring my cGPA to a 2.99 and my sGPA to a 3.22. Do you think it's worth it to apply for a sponsorship and explain (the grades will not be in effect yet, final grades aren't out until May), or should I just attend, and then apply for sponsorship my second year of courses? I'm a URM, does that have any weight on being accepted? Either way, I'm going, just wondering if anyone has any experience in regards to this. I know the minimum is 3.0, so I'm just scraping the bare minimum.

It's hard to say, honestly. Being URM should help some. I would call up the HCP office. It should't hurt your chances either way.

So, I got accepted. Thus officially ends my HES experience. Good luck to everyone applying this year and to those still going through the post-bacc.

Congrats, Same here. Feels good eh.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all

Those grades probably won't get you into HCP unless you have a truly extraordinary story behind them. As far as prep for calculus, try finding a pre-calc course instead of trig. Everything you'll need will be contained in that course. You can take courses at HES and then apply for sponsorship after you've brought up your GPAs and proven you can handle a rigorous courseload. There are no guarantees, however, and depending on your goals, you may find that you'll need to take an SMP when you're through with the post-bacc. Check out the low GPA success stories in the non-trad thread. Those can give better insight into how increase your odds of success despite having below average numbers.

Congrats, Same here. Feels good eh.

Best feeling short of orgasm.

It's hard to say, honestly. Being URM should help some. I would call up the HCP office. It should't hurt your chances either way.

I actually emailed them and I just received a response yesterday. They told me the 3.0 cutoff was heavily enforced, so I'm just going to work on my GPA. Still going to move to Cambridge and take courses at HES.

Those grades probably won't get you into HCP unless you have a truly extraordinary story behind them. As far as prep for calculus, try finding a pre-calc course instead of trig. Everything you'll need will be contained in that course. You can take courses at HES and then apply for sponsorship after you've brought up your GPAs and proven you can handle a rigorous courseload. There are no guarantees, however, and depending on your goals, you may find that you'll need to take an SMP when you're through with the post-bacc. Check out the low GPA success stories in the non-trad thread. Those can give better insight into how increase your odds of success despite having below average numbers.

Thanks for responding! I was going to take Pre-Calc at my local CC, but it has a prerequisite of Trig, so I figured I'd take Trig and then take pre-calc during the summer. I haven't taken math that course since my junior year of high school, which was back in 2004. :eek: As of now, I'm just going to focus on working on my GPA and see where that takes me. What you're saying I actually have every intention of doing. I read that entire low GPA thread, which is what gave me that final push to really dedicate myself to this.

Either way, I am uprooting my life and moving to Cambridge, and I am so so excited to actually start this long process! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,

I'm sorry if you guys view this as spam and I'm sure some of you will tell me to do more research, but I've been trying to find precise information here and have failed (though that's probably because there is no precise information). I'm graduating this year (from an Ivy, won't specify which) and am really looking for a place to take orgo and bio. I was wondering whether anyone would know/could let me know what the difficulty of these courses is like (I know there is no curve) and approximately what percentage of people tend to get A's. Is getting an A an impossibly hard thing to do in these courses? If you could let me know, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much guys.

In other words, if you study a lot, will you do well? Or is it like one of those courses that tries to trick you and so it doesn't really how much you study, you might still do badly.

In other words, if you study a lot, will you do well? Or is it like one of those courses that tries to trick you and so it doesn't really how much you study, you might still do badly.
I replied to your private conversation. For most the courses, you'll do well if you put in the time. I think the biggest surprise is how much time these courses take, especially orgo.

I took Bio and Orgo last year, so anyone currently taking the classes should correct me if I am wrong. Bio was on a strict curve, with the mean score in the class determining the mid-point of a B-. One standard deviation equated to one letter grade. e.g. a standard deviation above the mean would get you an A-. I don't remember how they determined the cutoffs for (-) and (+), but I'm pretty sure it was statistical and not based on someone's judgment. I believe it worked out so that ~16% of the class got either an A or A-, but I could be wrong.

Orgo is not graded on a curve. I don't have any idea what percent of the class received A's, but I'd say it was a reasonable amount (meaning it didn't feel at all like they were trying to trick you, they want you to succeed). If you were willing to work hard and keep up with the material, an A or A- was definitely possible.

Personally I had a harder time in Bio than I did in Orgo, despite devoting about the same amount of time to each class. My classmates often held similar sentiments.

Also, note that the Harvard Summer classes may be slightly different. I don't have any experience with those. The comments above are for the regular school year.

tl;dr: A's are possible with a reasonable amount of effort, but the Bio and Orgo classes are not a walk in the park.

Agreed with the above. I was a B/A- student in Bio and so far getting mostly A's on the Orgo tests. That being said, I'm spending more time in Orgo than I did on Bio.

I don't know if Anderson is still teaching Bio, but I found getting an A to be very tough, while getting an A- was really easy. I chose to get an A- in Bio and focus on Orgo instead.

I'm moving out of my place at the end of May and my room will be available June 1st! It's a great five-bedroom/2 bathroom place with four other very cool roommates. The bedroom is very spacious with hardwood floors and a bay window. It's a 12 minute walk to Davis Square and Porter Square (both of which have subway stations), and the Shaw's Supermarket in Porter. The apartment is also right behind the bike path that goes to Davis and then connects with the Minuteman Bike way.
kc0X8t

What is the best way to find a place? I'm looking for a place for January. Craigslist? Also I'll be taking 3 upper level Bio courses. Does anybody have any experience with Immunology and Genetics? I took Neuro here a couple summers ago while doing Research and it was quite easy.

Thanks so much for replying guys,

I had a couple of other questions of you would be so kind to answer me. I was wondering if anyone has taken gen Chem in the Summer or has heard anything about it (how difficult/time consuming) and also what are the good (and preferably easier/doable electives to take) as I plan on taking 3 classs (one of which will be orgo) and do not want to overload myself. Additionally do these electives require an extensive knowledge of biology (like the kind you would find in the first semester course) or could I get by with a normal introductory bio course and having taken ap bio. Thanks guys!!

Are there any current/former HES students who went the one-year route lurking at this time? I'm currently on this path and would like to talk to someone about how how they fared during the spring semester, and how they incorporated MCAT preparation into their schedule. I am doing fine in my courses, except for bio... looking at a B+ on that one, which is highly disappointing, but then again I'm not sure how Roehrig will curve the course.

In any case, I'm considering whether taking two courses next semester would be better for me in the long run, especially since delaying my application means taking the new MCAT. PM me if you are interested in sharing your experience or have any suggestions for how to make this decision. Thanks!

Last edited:
Has anyone here ever taken the January term BIOS E-175 course (Optical Imaging in Modern Biomedical Research: An Introduction to Principles and Techniques) by any chance? If so, I would love to hear your thoughts about the course.

Spring 2014 upper BIO class info:
Hi guys! I know the threads are mostly like for those who are under the sponsorship program so you guys are more likely to taking/have info on intro bio/GC/OC/Physics but wondering if you guys have any comment on the upper bio classes including:
Principles of Genetics
Frederick R. Bieber
Richard Possemato
Cell Biology
Katie Kathrein
Immunology
Mihaela G. Gadjeva

Any comment on these classes(&professors) are very appreciated! If there is any other fascinating classes other than these plz lmk as well.

Thank you.

Just wanted to piggyback on the thread and see if anyone has any recommendations for a bio elective that doesn't take over your life.

I'm thinking of any of the above (genetics, Cell Bio, Immunology) plus
Biostatistics - heard it's kinda rough
Molecular Biology (E-12) - really interesting, but heard it's a tough class with tons of homework/time commitment.
Developmental Biology
Genetics of Cancer - online option available

Any feedback would be hugely appreciated!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey all. Does anyone in biochem have an audio recording of the 11/22 lecture? Had to miss class that day and want to catch up before this Friday's lecture. If so, please PM me or let me know. Thanks in advance!

Has anyone here ever taken the January term BIOS E-175 course (Optical Imaging in Modern Biomedical Research: An Introduction to Principles and Techniques) by any chance? If so, I would love to hear your thoughts about the course.

I haven't taken it but had a friend who took it - I heard it was interesting/not too hard to get an A.

Scheduling question for any of you who may be able to help out there. I'm interested in the HCP as a career changer and plan to apply in a couple months. Ideally I'd like to start taking classes in the summer of 2014. The only pre-med course I've taken is 1 semester of General Chemistry from undergrad that I'd prefer not to take again.

From my research, it seems the usual first summer course to take is General Chemistry at Harvard Summer School. Others on this board have commented how other classes (e.g., Physics) would be difficult to take over the summer. But at the same time I would like to get going this coming summer and not have to re-take that first semester of Gen Chem. Any advice as to how to organize my first summer would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Hello,
Did anyone take Dr. Carr's A&P at HES? I will appreciate it very much if anyone can share the experience of the class, i.e, how is her teaching style, how is the class difficulties, or how would you compare it to other similar classes? Thank you!

Hello,
Did anyone take Dr. Carr's A&P at HES? I will appreciate it very much if anyone can share the experience of the class, i.e, how is her teaching style, how is the class difficulties, or how would you compare it to other similar classes? Thank you!

Took it last year. Class is great, exams are relatively difficult. She teaches off of her power points, but always includes extra information. Lab is a cat dissection and some physiology stuff. Overall I enjoyed the class and I'm glad that I took it.

Took it last year. Class is great, exams are relatively difficult. She teaches off of her power points, but always includes extra information. Lab is a cat dissection and some physiology stuff. Overall I enjoyed the class and I'm glad that I took it.
Thank you! How is the curve and are most of the students pre-meds? Also, how is the class Immunology? Thanks!

Thank you! How is the curve and are most of the students pre-meds? Also, how is the class Immunology? Thanks!

Curve is standard. Most people are either in their application year or post-bacc premed.

Hey guys

Do you think the HES medical path program is a good post bacc to seek out for someone like me who wants a career change?

How hard is it to get in? Can someone from NJ get into it?

For anyone who has taken ochem in the last few years: do you know what the A cutoff was approximately?

That was one tough Orgo final. Feeling particularly deflated after so much work this whole semester. One class where I feel like I've definitely choked during exams.

Almost every other long problem had some trick to it that I don't think I've seen before :( Hoping for the best.

This is my second semester taking classes at Harvard Extension, and I'll probably be applying to med school in 2015. In the past, when has the HCP run out of sponsorship spots? I may be applying through my undergrad college, but it's unclear whether I meet my college's criteria for sponsorship (they only sponsor students who have graduated within the past 3 yrs--I'm borderline).

Also, any idea how grades for bio will be released? Will our TFs email us our grades any time soon, or do we have to wait until the 8th to check our grades online?

Thanks, SDNers!

And Molecular Biology class is a lab class therefore if you don't certainly need the lab not worth taking. (I haven't take it but through one of SDN member who took.) Also I believe there is another Molecular Biology course in Summer which does not include the lab. Please correct me if I am wrong.
I wish I have more information on Genetics.. I really hoping to take Immunology and Genetics as long as it does not overwhelm me. Good luck!

Are you working? I don't think that would be overwhelming! I am also taking those 2 classes btw :) Study group perhaps?! I know that the first genetics exam is a take-home exam. My friend somehow forgot the date of the hand-in date and she got a day extension without penalty. How cool?! Not to mention, the professor hooked up 2 HES students who ended up marrying lol.

What is the best way to find a place? I'm looking for a place for January. Craigslist? Also I'll be taking 3 upper level Bio courses. Does anybody have any experience with Immunology and Genetics? I took Neuro here a couple summers ago while doing Research and it was quite easy.

Craigslist is the best place. I used to live in Allston, which is like a 15-20 minute walk to school, and a short 5-10 minute bus to school. I also lived in Harvard Square directly and hated it because of all the noise. I definitely enjoyed my time in quiet Allston way more. I am also taking immunology and genetics. Maybe we can all do a study group together (including mvp0130), that'd be really nice. Did you really think neuro was easy? I just took it this past semester and it was a lot of information to remember! But if you stayed on track, it was totally doable.

Just wanted to piggyback on the thread and see if anyone has any recommendations for a bio elective that doesn't take over your life.

I'm thinking of any of the above (genetics, Cell Bio, Immunology) plus
Biostatistics - heard it's kinda rough
Molecular Biology (E-12) - really interesting, but heard it's a tough class with tons of homework/time commitment.
Developmental Biology
Genetics of Cancer - online option available

Any feedback would be hugely appreciated!

Are you sure you saw a Genetics of Cancer course? I only know of a Biology of Cancer course, and it is not an online option! Is there something I overlooked? Let me know!!

Last edited:
Is it normal to not have grades back by now (bios e-1a)? The final was on the 18th and there has been no contact about grades or when they might come out yet. I emailed my TA and have not heard back. I haven't taken any other courses here so I'm not sure if this is standard procedure.

Is it normal to not have grades back by now (bios e-1a)? The final was on the 18th and there has been no contact about grades or when they might come out yet. I emailed my TA and have not heard back. I haven't taken any other courses here so I'm not sure if this is standard procedure.
Grades take forever at HES. This is normal.

The day grades come out is usually listed both in your account when you go to check them, as well as on the calendar of events on the HES website, no?

The day grades come out is usually listed both in your account when you go to check them, as well as on the calendar of events on the HES website, no?
It is, but in my experience at other institutions, individual professors almost always release grades before (well before) the schoolwide release date. I'm a little impatient, thought it couldn't hurt to ask. Ah well.

It is, but in my experience at other institutions, individual professors almost always release grades before (well before) the schoolwide release date. I'm a little impatient, thought it couldn't hurt to ask. Ah well.

That's unlikely to happen at HES. In the past couple of years, they released grades one day earlier than what's listed on the calendar, but that's as early as it gets. Enjoy one of the fine microbrews in this state while you're waiting. My personal faves: Jack's Abby, and Pretty Things.