Official: Harvard 2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It seems to work out to about $800 / class / semester, so for the whole program... 2 sems gen gem = $1600, 2 sems physics = $1600, 2 sems bio = $1600, 2 sems ochem = $1600. then $500 fee for sponsorship, so about 7K for the whole two years. of course textbooks, summer courses, health insurance, etc will add up too. i think that's everything, but it's morning so the old brain isn't exactly functional yet.

ichimaru said:
Just curious, what's the total cost of attending HES for 2 years (tuition/fees)? I'm sure this has been addressed before, but I'm too lazy to do a search :p

Members don't see this ad.

Is the sponsorship letter from the department viewed much more significantly than normal LOR?

I get the vibe it comes with some extra credibility and that is the main reason to do the courses at HES. No?

playthatfunky said:
Is the sponsorship letter from the department viewed much more significantly than normal LOR?

I get the vibe it comes with some extra credibility and that is the main reason to do the courses at HES. No?

That is the impression I have. Obviously the sponsorship letter is more complete and goes into greater detail about you. If you don't qualify and are forced to get individual letters from science professors I beleive they have some policy that they only base the letter on your preformance in the course, which makes sense because it would otherwise defeat the purpose of attaining sponsorship. So, it looks a lot better to schools (I would imagine) if two applicants are applying that have taken classes at the extension school, if one has a sponsorship letter and one does not, ya know...obviously they are going to know you did not meet the criteria for sponsorship in the program. Unless you have a pre-med committee, then you will get a composate letter anyway.

It's important to realize that you are not eligible for sponsorship unless you actually apply and are accepted to the program. Even then, sponsorship is $500 if you meet the requirements. You cannot take the classes on your own, without applying to the program, and hope to just pay $500 and get a letter from the committee. It does not work that way.

Members don't see this ad :)
any thoughts on the chem?

i was rolling, if id only had some more time, i was beginning to realize that 18pt problem, the thermochem, i had the qrxn and i knew that wasnt all, i was trying the hess law but that wasnt it either, because the enthalpies given on the back page were at ST, and it was dawning on me that deltaT was the way to go, id like to have that one back

and i missed the mixture problem, i worked it out but even though i balanced the equation and reminded myself pre exam about stoich coeff's, i still didnt use the 1mol reaction/3mol CO2, oh well, i dont feel bad, yes i do, we can never truthfully say we did all we could but there has got to be something wrong with me, ive averaged 80-90hrs per week studying chem only, thats about every hour i have unless i start really cutting sleep out which i think should be counterproductive, i should be acing this, tyranny of the shoulds, true i have a ba and never took any sciences but still, there are only so many equations, hope you all are having an easier time

i thought the chem was a little easier than that first exam. maybe the first one was to thin the ranks a little. still no picnic & definitely harder (again) than the practice exam. i got stuck on the mixture problem for a long time because i was being stubborn about using the moles CO2 from part a) instead of the regular x + y = whatever setup that israel loves so much. i'm definitely glad that's over with. i wonder how the class did overall...hopefully this won't be another 70 pt median or whatever it was.

anyway morb, sounds like you know where you went wrong already. if you know the stuff well enough to recognize where you screwed up, you probably did pretty well overall.

Morb said:
any thoughts on the chem?

i was rolling, if id only had some more time, i was beginning to realize that 18pt problem, the thermochem, i had the qrxn and i knew that wasnt all, i was trying the hess law but that wasnt it either, because the enthalpies given on the back page were at ST, and it was dawning on me that deltaT was the way to go, id like to have that one back

and i missed the mixture problem, i worked it out but even though i balanced the equation and reminded myself pre exam about stoich coeff's, i still didnt use the 1mol reaction/3mol CO2, oh well, i dont feel bad, yes i do, we can never truthfully say we did all we could but there has got to be something wrong with me, ive averaged 80-90hrs per week studying chem only, thats about every hour i have unless i start really cutting sleep out which i think should be counterproductive, i should be acing this, tyranny of the shoulds, true i have a ba and never took any sciences but still, there are only so many equations, hope you all are having an easier time

"Let's say you're buying a Gucci handbag and you're going to pay a thousand dollars for it, and Gucci also puts out a line that doesn't call itself Gucci but is close in quality to a Gucci and you can get it for $50. That's what this is."

Love it.

bg2104 said:
i thought the chem was a little easier than that first exam. maybe the first one was to thin the ranks a little. still no picnic & definitely harder (again) than the practice exam. i got stuck on the mixture problem for a long time because i was being stubborn about using the moles CO2 from part a) instead of the regular x + y = whatever setup that israel loves so much. i'm definitely glad that's over with. i wonder how the class did overall...hopefully this won't be another 70 pt median or whatever it was.

anyway morb, sounds like you know where you went wrong already. if you know the stuff well enough to recognize where you screwed up, you probably did pretty well overall.

74 i think was the first exam median, this time its 83, maybe the first was to cull but maybe the second was to adjust that first low median, which didnt reflect well on tucci&co

i felt like i was in the game on this exam, i thought there was an intimation that this exam would be made easier, and indeed it seemed to be, because i scored above the median and i thought there were plenty ln/ps/review problems that were much harder

RE: sponsorship letter vs. LOR

I had a meeting with Fixsen in which he said the sponsorship letter is particularly useful if (either your undergrad doesn't do composite letters (like mine) or you don't have access to your undergrad pre-med facilities), and you have some 'splainin' to do. The sponsorship letter gives you a chance to do that, and theoretically Fixsen and/or Peterson know you more recently than anyone else that would be writing the composite letter. If you are just a straight up 4.0 BA in literature who decides to take pre-med classes and aces them, it's not as important.

RE: Chem exam. You guys are too funny - 74 is not low for an average, at least in my experience. I guess since the grading scale is set forth a priori that's why people are freaking out, but really a c should be class average, by definition. I did well on both though exams, so I suppose my perspective is different.

Hey guys, I'm getting ramped up for Fall '05 and getting ready to apply - anything I should know? Is there an application deadline for Spring? Thanks.

Maxprime said:
Hey guys, I'm getting ramped up for Fall '05 and getting ready to apply - anything I should know? Is there an application deadline for Spring? Thanks.

Fall 06? Fall 05 is almost over. Just get your application in a month or so before classes begin so you get a response in time. There are several class pages, this one and one or two from last year by a similar title. Just run a search.

Sundarban1 said:
Fall 06? Fall 05 is almost over. Just get your application in a month or so before classes begin so you get a response in time. There are several class pages, this one and one or two from last year by a similar title. Just run a search.

I meant Fall '06 - posting before sunrise can lead to grave mistakes in dates. :)

I saw that Spring/Summer admission is not preferred by admissions - I have a low GPA, so will I need to wait for Fall '06?

I am calling Owen Peterson later on today to try to spare you guys from all my questions.

Maxprime said:
I am calling Owen Peterson later on today to try to spare you guys from all my questions.

That is untimately your best bet, once you've read the threads. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sundarban1 said:
That is untimately your best bet, once you've read the threads. Good luck!

I spoke with him - VERY helpful (also a nice guy). I am all set for Fall '06 - sending in my application for the HCP tomorrow.

Are there any reasons not to take classes this summer (not in the HCP)?

Maxprime said:
Are there any reasons not to take classes this summer (not in the HCP)?

Yeh, classes are $2,500/course during the summer and $800 during the regular semester :eek:

Sundarban1 said:
Yeh, classes are $2,500/course during the summer and $800 during the regular semester :eek:

Wow! Is that just because extension isn't operating and they fall under the main school's summer program? I guess I will be doing a lot of work/interning during the summer!

Could someone tell me what my first year classes should be? I figured I should get all the MCAT stuff out of the way earlier so I can start studying for the MCAT ASAP (hehe). Thanks

Also, what should I do in my downtime (I'm still working and trying my best to save some freaking tuition $$$) - volunteer? I was going to get my EMT-B this Spring.

Maxprime said:
Wow! Is that just because extension isn't operating and they fall under the main school's summer program? I guess I will be doing a lot of work/interning during the summer!

Could someone tell me what my first year classes should be? I figured I should get all the MCAT stuff out of the way earlier so I can start studying for the MCAT ASAP (hehe). Thanks

Also, what should I do in my downtime (I'm still working and trying my best to save some freaking tuition $$$) - volunteer? I was going to get my EMT-B this Spring.

People usually follow the 2 year program which is a full year of chem and phyics year 1 and the organic chem and bio year 2. If you are working you will have little time outside of class to do much volunteering. It can be done in 1 year and a summer but not advised, I'm surprised you did not talk to Owen about this.

Sundarban1 said:
People usually follow the 2 year program which is a full year of chem and phyics year 1 and the organic chem and bio year 2. If you are working you will have little time outside of class to do much volunteering. It can be done in 1 year and a summer but not advised, I'm surprised you did not talk to Owen about this.

Do most people work while doing the program? I have the funds to be able to not work, I figured I could do a research/volunteer program if I had extra time. I really have to make grades though (my GPA is terrible) so I was going to just concentrate on classes during the fall/spring and volunteer in the summers.

My undergrad GPA is bad enough that I am just going to pull it up to a 3.0 and then go to the Boston SMP to get me into med school. Does/should that affect any of my decisions @ Harvard in classes/extra-curric/volunteering? Thanks.

Maxprime said:
Do most people work while doing the program? I have the funds to be able to not work, I figured I could do a research/volunteer program if I had extra time. I really have to make grades though (my GPA is terrible) so I was going to just concentrate on classes during the fall/spring and volunteer in the summers.

My undergrad GPA is bad enough that I am just going to pull it up to a 3.0 and then go to the Boston SMP to get me into med school. Does/should that affect any of my decisions @ Harvard in classes/extra-curric/volunteering? Thanks.

I've heard in the information session that less than 40% of the people in the program work full time, but I don't think that is accurate. There are a fair number of people I know that either work full time or part time and a handfull that do not work at all.

If you plan on taking all 4 classes in 2 years and have a poor GPA I would advise not working if you can and devote all your energy to class. Usually people underestimate the time and energy you have to put into these classes as they are tough and require a lot of reading and homework outside of class in addition to sections and labs. That right there is about 75% of your week, before you even have time to study. If you work full time, forget volunteering, etc.

I'd take some time to read this thread in its entirety and the 2004 one as well. You will have a lot of your questions anwered from previous students. Then PM one of us if you have questions. Good Luck.

Sundarban1 said:
I've heard in the information session that less than 40% of the people in the program work full time, but I don't think that is accurate. There are a fair number of people I know that either work full time or part time and a handfull that do not work at all.

If you plan on taking all 4 classes in 2 years and have a poor GPA I would advise not working if you can and devote all your energy to class. Usually people underestimate the time and energy you have to put into these classes as they are tough and require a lot of reading and homework outside of class in addition to sections and labs. That right there is about 75% of your week, before you even have time to study. If you work full time, forget volunteering, etc.

I'd take some time to read this thread in its entirety and the 2004 one as well. You will have a lot of your questions anwered from previous students. Then PM one of us if you have questions. Good Luck.

youre a paragon of info sun, glad to see it

anybody tried the intensive orgo I&II summer session?

Morb said:
youre a paragon of info sun, glad to see it

anybody tried the intensive orgo I&II summer session?

I know several very capable people who tried this and said it is not worth the torture (especially if you are one of those students trying to raise an already below average GPA). Seems like 2 years of Ochem in 8 weeks is a lot. Oh well.

Sundarban1 said:
I know several very capable people who tried this and said it is not worth the torture (especially if you are one of those students trying to raise an already below average GPA). Seems like 2 years of Ochem in 8 weeks is a lot. Oh well.

i didnt really think it would possible for me, but i was going to enroll and then what? have to decide by the 3rd day or something if i should withdraw?

i took chem and phys but i was getting blown away, so i dropped the phys and now im kind of regretting it, its true i spent 700hrs on chem alone but it seems like its getting easier, this last chapter was by far the easiest, and i still say they dumbed down the second chem exam but i definitely want to take one full (2 ext classes/semester) year, that way i can get my 10,000 loan which is sorely needed, but i planned on that being phys and bio and then a year of orgo only

i suppose i could try phys over the summer and then orgo and bio for next year, i assume bio will be the easiest of the 4, i have no problem with memorization, its becoming a problem solver thats been tough, im just really trying to catch up and not make this 3 years

in that case, anybody take phys I&II over the summer?

Question:
I know this is probably somewhere, but I have yet to get an answer I'm satisfied with.

What are the major advantages and disadvantages of doing a program like the HES or Columbia's, as opposed to the more structured programs at bryn mawr, for example. Is one's chance of getting into a good medical school much higher if you go to a bryn mawr over a HES?

hbdandy said:
Question:
I know this is probably somewhere, but I have yet to get an answer I'm satisfied with.

What are the major advantages and disadvantages of doing a program like the HES or Columbia's, as opposed to the more structured programs at bryn mawr, for example. Is one's chance of getting into a good medical school much higher if you go to a bryn mawr over a HES?

You'll notice that some more structured programs have a linkage program to various medical schools, Harvard does not. One advantage to HES is that all of the courses are offered at night, so people can work/study more during the day, which is not the case with other programs. Depending on your financial situation price of HES is also an advantage. Courses here are not curved, so the competition between students is not as harsh as it is at other schools. The program lacks the sturcture or hand holding of other schools, which some see as a disadvantage I guess. Otherwise, do well here or anywhere and your chances are good.

I had to take medical leave (cancer) from work and school. I'm going to attempt one class this spring, most likely Physics. I was just wondering if anyone has taken Physics II before Physics I and were able to get through it just fine. (?)

Thanks!

I'm in Physics I at the moment & as I understand it Physics is essentially a year long course.. so Physics I & II are basically one class with a break in the middle. I know it's the same prof, lecture day/time, and even the same text (resumed from where PhI leaves off). Unless you're already very familiar with what's covered in the Ph1 (ie translational & rotational motion, statics, fluids etc) you'll be (literally) picking up a book & skipping the first half. anyway, that's all i know about it, you might try contacting the HCP directors to see if anyone's attempted it before. good luck

MCole said:
I had to take medical leave (cancer) from work and school. I'm going to attempt one class this spring, most likely Physics. I was just wondering if anyone has taken Physics II before Physics I and were able to get through it just fine. (?)

Thanks!

MCole said:

Thanks!

I would not do that, and the administration will certainly not encourage you to do it either.

What'd y'all think of the physics exam?

thought it was ok. wasn't as prepared as i should have been, but it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. i'm still a little unclear on impulse. what did you get for that impulse multiple choice? i think i said the impulse for the putty was greater. what did you think of the exam?

prav said:
What'd y'all think of the physics exam?

bg2104 said:
thought it was ok. wasn't as prepared as i should have been, but it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. i'm still a little unclear on impulse. what did you get for that impulse multiple choice? i think i said the impulse for the putty was greater. what did you think of the exam?

I think the impulse for the ball was greater, because Ft=p. Since the ball hits the wall and rebounds with nearly the same speed, it's impulse is 2p (delta p = p2-p1 = -p-p = -2p or 2p depending on the values you use) while the impulse for the putty is delta p = p2-p1 = 0-p = -p or p, so the ball's impulse was greater.

Overall, I thought it was pretty good. Harder than the first one, but on par with the practices tests.

jamesrd said:
I think the impulse for the ball was greater, because Ft=p. Since the ball hits the wall and rebounds with nearly the same speed, it's impulse is 2p (delta p = p2-p1 = -p-p = -2p or 2p depending on the values you use) while the impulse for the putty is delta p = p2-p1 = 0-p = -p or p, so the ball's impulse was greater.

Overall, I thought it was pretty good. Harder than the first one, but on par with the practices tests.

Agreed. If I didn't change my answer at the final second for the MC question about the velocity of the large ball hitting the smaller ball I think I would have been in good shape. I put down 2v but I think the answer is 3v. The only other one I know I got wrong was the modulus for gas and liquid. Overall I think I did just as well as the first exam. Only time will tell.

Yeah, I got 3v for the ball question. What did you put down for the modulus? I said the bulk modulus, even though it's kind of indirect, it could use both liquids and solids. I basically couldn't remember if Young's ever applied to fluid compression, or if it only worked for solids.

jamesrd said:
Yeah, I got 3v for the ball question. What did you put down for the modulus? I said the bulk modulus, even though it's kind of indirect, it could use both liquids and solids. I basically couldn't remember if Young's ever applied to fluid compression, or if it only worked for solids.

Solutions are posted now. 3v and bulk modulus were correct. :thumbup:

Sundarban1 said:
I would not do that, and the administration will certainly not encourage you to do it either.

MCole: Despite the best intentions of my fellow posters, please forgive them for they speak before they check the real source. True, it would be difficult, but is possible.

This is a direct quote from the Physics Course Website under the FAQ's:

Second Semester First: Can I take the second semester without having taken the first semester?
I need to finish my requirements ASAP (supply your own reason) and would like to take Phys E-1b this spring without having had E-1a. Is that possible?
In short, yes. However, you'll be doing it the hard way and will be at a disadvantage (unless you're already familiar with the material covered in the fall semester). Most of the new material stands pretty much on its own. Nevertheless, concepts developed in the fall semester (such as conservation of energy, momentum, etc, etc.) will be invoked in the spring and you will have to quickly bring yourself up to speed on material that the rest of the class is already quite familiar with. It will be a lot of extra work on top of an already time consuming course. Only you know how much time you have in your life and you have to judge whether or not you can do it. Having said that, I should add that there is at least one student every year that does it this way and (so far) they have all completed the course quite successfully! If you decide to do it this way also, I would suggest that you not attempt to read all of the fall semester's material beforehand, but rather catch up on material as needed (as you encounter ideas you're not familiar with).​

booradley5 said:
MCole: Despite the best intentions of my fellow posters, please forgive them for they speak before they check the real source. True, it would be difficult, but is possible.

This is a direct quote from the Physics Course Website under the FAQ's:

Second Semester First: Can I take the second semester without having taken the first semester?
I need to finish my requirements ASAP (supply your own reason) and would like to take Phys E-1b this spring without having had E-1a. Is that possible?
In short, yes. However, you'll be doing it the hard way and will be at a disadvantage (unless you're already familiar with the material covered in the fall semester). Most of the new material stands pretty much on its own. Nevertheless, concepts developed in the fall semester (such as conservation of energy, momentum, etc, etc.) will be invoked in the spring and you will have to quickly bring yourself up to speed on material that the rest of the class is already quite familiar with. It will be a lot of extra work on top of an already time consuming course. Only you know how much time you have in your life and you have to judge whether or not you can do it. Having said that, I should add that there is at least one student every year that does it this way and (so far) they have all completed the course quite successfully! If you decide to do it this way also, I would suggest that you not attempt to read all of the fall semester's material beforehand, but rather catch up on material as needed (as you encounter ideas you're not familiar with).​

The real source would be actually talking to the professors, and getting advice depending on your background, which I did in both the information session and one on one. Despite their personal advice, there are always a few studnets (as cited in the syllabus) who do try it and succeed, but for every one that does succeed this way there are several more who do not.

If you read the FAQ clearly, you will see that it states that unless you have had previous exposure the the material, you will be at a disadvantage.

These are the comments from the administration, not my own and I never said it could not be done, but they will certainly not encourage you to do it that way, as the syllabus says for physics.

Furthermore I do take the time to give accurate advice so please do not take it upon yourself to apoligize for anything I say based on what you believe to be contrary to your own opinion.

Thanks.

positivepsych said:
I think you're better served living at home, going to your local university and doing your requirements there. You have a better chance of doing well, save yourself some money, and a lot of headache.

My troll-o-meter reads a 4.5/10. Anyone else get similar readings?

prav said:
My troll-o-meter reads a 4.5/10. Anyone else get similar readings?

C'mon prav..time to get that troll-o-meter re-calibrated because mine read about 8.5/10.

Bottom line is that there is a lot of attrition here at HES (physics lecture has already went down from over two hundrad students to well under that number now) because the classes are tough, as troll stated. Basically you earn the right to stay in the program by working hard, so although admission is not tough, staying in the program is just that, and everything balances in the end.

I don't think anyone is trying to fool anyone here by somehow thinking they went to "Harvard" oh, wow. No, we want to be challanged and that is exactly what we are getting. Let us worry about the rest. Thanks for your concern, though. :rolleyes:

I'll take this one.

positivepsych said:
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but do you honestly think that attending Harvard extension school for your post-bacc and using its name is going to get you into med school if you had a hard time with undergrad?

HES students have a high matriculation rate if sponsored.

positivepsych said:
As a current Harvard undergrad, I have plenty of pre-med friends, and its a TOUGH experience. I know high school superstars, and people who transferred here with 3.9+ GPAs from top public universities study like dogs to get B-'s in some of those pre-med classes. If you had below a 3.5 in an easy undergrad college, I think you're really going to struggle competing against real Harvard students. Either that or you're going to be pretty miserable studying all the time.

I think it's not your business to say who will struggle and who will not. I got below a 3.5 because my GPA is not considered in my current profession, we have professional exams that are the only importance (that are harder than the MCAT's).

positivepsych said:
Not to mention the fact that its probably ridiculously expensive to be here as an extension student, and that med school admissions people know the difference between Harvard's real programs and its extention school, which basically accepts anyone.

We actually get to take the classes much, much cheaper. As for acceptance, as you said, it's a very hard and competitive environment. If we don't "get our poor asses handed to us by you geniuses" and consistently kick your ass, it looks pretty good on an admissions form - now doesn't it?

positivepsych said:
I think you're better served living at home, going to your local university and doing your requirements there. You have a better chance of doing well, save yourself some money, and a lot of headache.

No sponsorship, you don't know what you're talking about, see you in the fall - hope you can try to keep up. Why don't you stick to the pre-allo forum and let use worry about post-bacc issues?

positivepsych said:
I think you're really going to struggle competing against real Harvard students. Either that or you're going to be pretty miserable studying all the time.

Yeah, pretty darn high on the troll-o-meter.

The above statement leads me to believe that you have no idea what you are talking about. These classes are not curved (i.e. competing) nor are they taken with Harvard College undergrads.

Oh, and as a matter of fact, some students in this program are students who graduated from Harvard College undergrad and are coming back to take the pre-med requirements, so they hardly need the "name" or whatever point it is you are trying to make.

Go back to your bridge, unless you can prove to us otherwise you really are a Harvard undergrad. If that really is the case, you're just an arrogant little turd.

Also, isn't it true that the HES Chemistry class consistantly scores higher on the "Chem Bonus Exam" (the one they give at the beginning and end) than the Harvard undergrad chem students?

This guy's post was laughable given Harvard Undergrad's notorious national reputation for grade-flation.

Prav "everyone gets an A at harvard"

i keep forgetting to go up to the physics offices to check out the median score & spread for the last physics exam, anybody happen to know? thanks.

The mean was 77 I believe.

bg2104 said:
i keep forgetting to go up to the physics offices to check out the median score & spread for the last physics exam, anybody happen to know? thanks.

I've just been looking over the thread for the first time in a while...

positivepsych, if you're still out there, it might interest you to know that not everyone has the privilege of being a "real" harvard undergrad. Whether because of money, location, or just lack of interest harvard isn't necessarily where everyone wishes to do their undergrad. This doesn't mean that we're not dedicated students and can't compete against harvard students (not that our classes are with undergrads anyway-check your facts).

It may also interest you to know that not everyone leads a perfectly cookie cutter life and that many gain a little perspective in the real world before settling on a direction for their lives. I think you'll find down the road that one's status as a "high school superstar" will become somewhat insignificant and that you'll meet and work with people that have different backgrounds and don't necessarily wish they had yours. the extension school is an element of the university that you as an undergrad should be proud of because of the depth it adds to the character of the university. You might benefit from opening your mind a little.

or maybe you were just concerned that down the road we’ll be taking residencies from your premed friends?

positivepsych said:
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but do you honestly think that attending Harvard extension school for your post-bacc and using its name is going to get you into med school if you had a hard time with undergrad?

As a current Harvard undergrad, I have plenty of pre-med friends, and its a TOUGH experience. I know high school superstars, and people who transferred here with 3.9+ GPAs from top public universities study like dogs to get B-'s in some of those pre-med classes. If you had below a 3.5 in an easy undergrad college, I think you're really going to struggle competing against real Harvard students. Either that or you're going to be pretty miserable studying all the time.

Not to mention the fact that its probably ridiculously expensive to be here as an extension student, and that med school admissions people know the difference between Harvard's real programs and its extention school, which basically accepts anyone.

First, I would like to say I have no intention of attending Harvard (HES or otherwise), although I'm sure the program is great and very difficult (good luck to anyone planning to attend).

Let's face it, any school you go to is gonna be challenging if you take chem. organic chem, physics etc. You're taught the same basic material anywhere you go and you get out what you put into it. Don't get me wrong, schools like Harvard have a great reputation (undergrad, HES, pretty much everything they do) but lets not act like everyone walking the halls of Harvard is a genius. I've met plenty of graduates from ivy league schools who aren't as smart as they think they are. And who's kidding who, everyone has heard stories about schools like Harvard letting undergrads in because of who there Daddies are, and about how there undergrad programs are famous for grade inflation. Personally, as a grad student I have travelled to many conferences and have had the honor :laugh: of meeting students from the so called "top schools" and although a good number of them are very intelligent and deserve my respect, I was no more impressed with them than I am with students from any other university. So for anyone going to HES, good luck, but I don't think the Harvard name is all that many people think it is, if you can't back it up.

Has everyone decided what to take in the spring semester? I am having trouble deciding and would greatly appreciate any input based on experience as to which classes are worthwhile taking (maybe even easy) or should be avoided because they are flat out impossible. I have completed my prereqs by the way. I am looking to choose from seven courses:

Biochemistry II
Cell Biology: Eukaryotic Experimental Models
Principles and Techniques of Molecular Biology
Introduction to Genomics
Cellular Engineering
Topics in Microbiology and Infectious Diseases
Human Physiology II

I am planning to take at least three classes, maybe four, and the Kaplan MCAT prep course full-time with no work commitments whatsoever. I am emboldened to take on this workload because of my relative success this fall semester juggling three courses (A's in two, a B+ in the other) while working Monday thru Saturday 7:30-5:30 in order to save up $$ for the spring.

Cell bio, human phys most likely will be the most helpful on the MCAT.