**Official Drexel IMS 2015-2016 Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CinderellaSt0ry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seems a bit early but figured this thread should get started since applications have already opened.

Who's applying to the Drexel IMS program to enter in August 2015!? Lets share our questions/progress on here!

Any current or former IMS students - your input is welcomed :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm thinking about applying! I am still in the midst of doing research. any idea what the linkage story for Drexel is??

also - what are your stats?

The linkage story is that there is none, but if you satisfy the nothing below a B requirement and take ALL the coursework, you are guaranteed an interview at Drexel. They also have at least 25 admission slots open to students from all of their post-bacc programs combined.

Members don't see this ad :)
You also need a 27 MCAT with no section under a 9 if you want that interview

You also need a 27 MCAT with no section under a 9 if you want that interview

A 30 overall with an 8 in one section is fine also I think. You should probably have taken it the year before you start the program if you plan to apply after the IMS year depending on how long current MCAT scores will be accepted. I haven't kept up with the changes to the MCAT, so you'll have to look that stuff up.

Edit - Ok, I'm going to have to edit this. I guess they changed whatever requirements they had from the year before for getting interviews and I can't find it on the current website. I guess I could ask around if I happen to bump into someone who knows about any policy changes. But they'll have online seminars you can sign up for if you want more information too.

http://www.drexel.edu/grad/events/overview/

Apparently there is one on Nov. 18th.

Last edited:
Application here is complete. Hoping for DPMS acceptance though!

Reactions: 1 user
If you don't have a 27 then I would say you need a decent uGPA. I just met the qualifications with a 9 in each category but I'm sure they look at the whole picture. Good luck with the places you apply!

Where can you view your application status?

There's no way to view the status but Carol should send you an email when it's complete. They will give you a response of admitted or denied within two weeks. I heard back after like 11 days.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!!! Are you going to attend for sure?

Thanks! Not 100% sure because I have an interview for a conditional acceptance to medical school at University of Rochester through the AMSNY post bacc. If I do not get chosen after that interview and Drexel DPMS doesn't accept me then I will definitely be there!

Just got accepted today and I'm going to accept! Any fellow IMS Sacramento students on here?

How is the IMS compared to the DPMS in regard to increasing one's chances of being accepted to Drexel SOM?

How is the IMS compared to the DPMS in regard to increasing one's chances of being accepted to Drexel SOM?
The IMS program grants a guaranteed interview at DUCOM, whereas DPMS grants a provisional acceptance to DUCOM. This is assuming that requirements are met for each program.

I think so! Still hoping to hear back from a few other schools before the March 18th deposit deadline. You accepted already?

I think so! Still hoping to hear back from a few other schools before the March 18th deposit deadline. You accepted already?
Yep! I'm officially a member of the IMS Sac class! Are you waiting on med schools or other post baccs?

I am waiting on other post baccs but I think I will be submitting my deposit for Drexel next week!

I look forward to seeing you too! Are you from the Sacramento area or will you be relocating there for the program?

I'm from the Sacramento area. How about you?
I'm from Socal!

But I wanted to ask you if had heard anything from Drexel regarding the sac campus closing?? A friend recently brought this to my attention and I saw a message from the president about how Drexel is slowly phasing out its programs at the Sac campus. If this is true what will happen to those of us accepted this year for the IMS/ MSMS?

I'm from Socal!

But I wanted to ask you if had heard anything from Drexel regarding the sac campus closing?? A friend recently brought this to my attention and I saw a message from the president about how Drexel is slowly phasing out its programs at the Sac campus. If this is true what will happen to those of us accepted this year for the IMS/ MSMS?
Yep, I called them and talked to them, and it's true, but IMS students accepted for this year are safe. Since they're phasing it our slowly, they'll still be open for a couple more years, and given that this is a 1-year program, we're fine. I'm pretty sure that it'll be open next year too for people choosing to continue on to MMS.

Yep, I called them and talked to them, and it's true, but IMS students accepted for this year are safe. Since they're phasing it our slowly, they'll still be open for a couple more years, and given that this is a 1-year program, we're fine. I'm pretty sure that it'll be open next year too for people choosing to continue on to MMS.
Okay that is a huge relief. Thank you! I will definitely be seeing you in the Fall then!

Okay that is a huge relief. Thank you! I will definitely be seeing you in the Fall then!
I actually just got an email from them, and unfortunately, they are no longer matriculating IMS students in sacramento. I will probably be asking them to see if I can enroll in the Philadelphia campus but I just wanted to let you know!

I actually just got an email from them, and unfortunately, they are no longer matriculating IMS students in sacramento. I will probably be asking them to see if I can enroll in the Philadelphia campus but I just wanted to let you know!
I got the email as well! I'm thinking of doing the same...

I got the email as well! I'm thinking of doing the same...
I already talked to them and it was a really simple switch. They just change our campus to Philadelphia and we're all set! Well, it's no Cali, but I hope to see you in philly in the fall!

Who did you talk to if you don't mind me asking? Was it Carol or LeAnn or someone else?

Who did you talk to if you don't mind me asking? Was it Carol or LeAnn or someone else?
I don't mind at all! I got an e-mail from Carol so I just replied to her e-mail and got it all straightened out with her.

Yep! I'm officially a member of the IMS Sac class! Are you waiting on med schools or other post baccs?
Hi! Do you mind if I asked? I just applied to IMS - is there an interview for getting into IMS? How long did you wait to hear back?
THank you

Hi! Do you mind if I asked? I just applied to IMS - is there an interview for getting into IMS? How long did you wait to hear back?
THank you
Hey, I'm currently in the one year IMS program. The IMS program website suggests that a phone interview is required for admission, but that is not the case. I know a few people who were accepted without going through the interview process. I believe the previous thread contains some of the typical questions applicants were asked.

The application processing is pretty quick. I heard back within two weeks, but I think it would be safe to expect a response between 2-4 weeks.

THank you
It's not a problem! As DocPepper mentioned above, I believe that they no longer conduct phone interviews. Also, I know that admissions committee looks at applications on Tuesdays (either every week or every two weeks) so they send out decisions extremely quickly. Also, since they are combining sac and philadelphia students together this year, if they aren't adding more seats, then there might be fewer open seats available now, so it would be best to apply immediately to make sure the seats aren't filled up by the time you apply. Good luck with the application process!

I'm upset that they're no longer offering seats in Sacramento. :(

I was recently accepted to the IMS program, and I was wondering what current students think of the program.

Hey, I'm currently in the one year IMS program. The IMS program website suggests that a phone interview is required for admission, but that is not the case. I know a few people who were accepted without going through the interview process. I believe the previous thread contains some of the typical questions applicants were asked.

The application processing is pretty quick. I heard back within two weeks, but I think it would be safe to expect a response between 2-4 weeks.

hey! What did you think of the simulcast lectures? From what I've read on SDN it seems some hate it and some love it. Also how'd your app cycle go? Specifically at DUCOM? I think I saw accepted on your status!

hey! What did you think of the simulcast lectures? From what I've read on SDN it seems some hate it and some love it. Also how'd your app cycle go? Specifically at DUCOM? I think I saw accepted on your status!
I didn't mind simulcast lectures. Initially I attended all the lectures, but as the program progressed I streamed them at 2x the speed after they were posted. I've only experienced a few challenges with the simulcasts: audio disturbances mid lecture (happen very infrequently), and asking question during lecture. They provide a microphone to communicate with the lecturer, but it is rather inconvenient. I found it easier to email the lecturer after class. I think most of my classmates went the 2x speed streaming method after a while. To be honest, I eventually stopped watching lectures and relied on the lecture notes.

My application cycle went really well in that I WAS ACCEPTED!!! lol I received two interviews and one acceptance (Drexel). Super excited! I don't think I would have gotten these opportunities without the program. If you guys have any more questions concerning IMS please let me know!

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you!! The couple of weeks leading up to the final decision were really stressful, I'm glad to finally be able to get a good night of sleep.

Are you in it for the 2014-2015 year or for this upcoming year?? I just got in and am still debating it.. Leaning towards no but I would love to hear your opinion on it.

EDIT: Okay I just went back and read your previous responses. I think you have answered most everything. one thing. Any way you can point me to some helpful material to get a head start on preparing for the courses?

Thanks

Hey, I have just been accepted in Drexel's MMS program, and I have been trying to find some reviews on the MMS program. I did not originally apply for the MMS program so I am shocked I was accepted into it, but their administration told me when I applied that I could be accepted into any relevant program. Anyway, I do not have clear understanding of the difference between the MMS program and the IMS, so any information would be great! Thank you!

Just got accepted today!

This is going to be a tough decision. I really want to go here, but a WashU pediatric oncologist offered me an entry level lab position in my home town (STL). At least I'm in a win-win situation here.

Reactions: 1 users
Are you in it for the 2014-2015 year or for this upcoming year?? I just got in and am still debating it.. Leaning towards no but I would love to hear your opinion on it.

EDIT: Okay I just went back and read your previous responses. I think you have answered most everything. one thing. Any way you can point me to some helpful material to get a head start on preparing for the courses?

Thanks
Preparing for the courses is a little difficult considering the load of information. However, if you have your heart set on it you could review undergrad material if you took the relevant courses, or get a USMLE book and review the sections you'll encounter in IMS (The courses go into a bit more detail, but it would be a good start). I would recommend taking it easy in the summer. You are going to be studying quite a bit once the program gets rolling and I think it would be best if your mind is fresh.

Last edited:
Hey, I have just been accepted in Drexel's MMS program, and I have been trying to find some reviews on the MMS program. I did not originally apply for the MMS program so I am shocked I was accepted into it, but their administration told me when I applied that I could be accepted into any relevant program. Anyway, I do not have clear understanding of the difference between the MMS program and the IMS, so any information would be great! Thank you!
MMS is IMS plus an additional year of research and classes. I believe you get a choice between pathology and microbiology(not sure about the second course). http://catalog.drexel.edu/graduate/schoolofbiomedicalsciences/medicalscience/

Thanks
You could start brushing up on biochem if so inclined -- credit-wise it's by far the largest course, and people tend to struggle with it. The module notes are fine, but I would recommend picking up the Lippincott book that Dr. Ferrier (the biochem course director) wrote.

Just got accepted into the MMS program! I'm definitely excited, but also a bit concerned about the simulcast lecture situation. For anyone attending the program, does this mean that you won't get to actually meet or interact with the professors or get to ask questions?

Just got accepted into the MMS program! I'm definitely excited, but also a bit concerned about the simulcast lecture situation. For anyone attending the program, does this mean that you won't get to actually meet or interact with the professors or get to ask questions?
The video feed is fine, and you can always ask questions on the microphone if you really want, but even the med students don’t tend to interrupt lectures very often. Also, most of the 1st and 2nd years are just sitting at home or the computer lab streaming the lectures at 1.7x speed – the auditoriums are deserted after the first few weeks of school (except for mandatory things). The professors are accessible by e-mail, or you can haul yourself up to the Queen Lane campus if you make an appointment. They also come to Center City in person to do review sessions and case conferences not infrequently.