Official Boston Housing Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
****UPDATED 06/21/2006

Add the following info if you want to be PM'd about apts and roommates:
name - post-bac program, Age/ gender/ smoking or non/ pets ok? / possible locations for apts / other notes.

Looking for Female Roommates

mars2213 - BU MAMS, 22/Female/non-smoker/no pets/symphony area (westland ave & mass ave, huntington ave & mass ave) or right next to BUMC / looking in July
luvs2learn - BU MAMS, Female/non-smoker

Looking for Male Roommates

HouseisMyHero - BU MAMS, 23/male/non-smoker/looking in July
etikit - BU MAMS, 22/Male/Non-smoker/straight/wants sept. 1st lease

No preference?

aeroluvr15 - BU MAMS, has friendly & tiny dog
djyujin - BU MAMS, Male/South End
MedSchoolHopefu - HES, Central Square
Iain - HES, 22/M/non-smoker/pets ok[/QUOTE]
Lu E Lee - BU MAMS, 24/female/non-smoker/no pets/South End/August or Sept
River Rat - BU MAMS, 21/male/non-smoker/no pets/wherevers close to campus

Members don't see this ad.

River Rat said:
****UPDATED 06/21/2006

Add the following info if you want to be PM'd about apts and roommates:
name - post-bac program, Age/ gender/ smoking or non/ pets ok? / possible locations for apts / other notes.

Looking for Female Roommates

mars2213 - BU MAMS, 22/Female/non-smoker/no pets/symphony area (westland ave & mass ave, huntington ave & mass ave) or right next to BUMC / looking in July
luvs2learn - BU MAMS, Female/non-smoker

Looking for Male Roommates

HouseisMyHero - BU MAMS, 23/male/non-smoker/looking in July
etikit - BU MAMS, 22/Male/Non-smoker/straight/wants sept. 1st lease

No preference?

aeroluvr15 - BU MAMS, female/non-smoker/moving ASAP/not picky about location/has friendly & tiny dog
djyujin - BU MAMS, Male/South End
MedSchoolHopefu - HES, Central Square
Iain - HES, 22/M/non-smoker/pets ok
Lu E Lee - BU MAMS, 24/female/non-smoker/no pets/South End/August or Sept
River Rat - BU MAMS, 21/male/non-smoker/no pets/wherevers close to campus[/QUOTE]

crap! filled out credit apps, sent an overnight letter with $1525 for a two bedroom, with laundry in unit, 1/2 block from med campus......but the market is so friggin aggressive, that three other people already had applications in for this place, I spent practically 1/2 day with this dude on the phone, trying to approve my credit, getting a cosignor, etc, and then mailing him the check that night overnight, he got it in the morning, went in, and it was already taken. Im pissed. oh well...keep hunting I guess. anybody else on this board pick up the place on 26 E. Springfield??

Members don't see this ad :)
I have one bedroom available in JP. I just finished my first year as a GMS student at BUMC and I will be working on my thesis this coming school year. My ex-girlfriend just moved out and I am looking to take on a roommate. I am a 25 year old male. The rent is reasonable for one person but great for two to split. Campus is easy to get to by the orange line T (~30 min commute) or perfect if you are into biking. I bike to school everyday and it takes 15 min. There are paved bike paths the whole way. The apartment is wonderful. A community garden in the back as well as a dog park and only a few minutes to Franklin Park, Forest Hill Cemetary, Arnold Arboretum, and Jamaica Pond. Center Street shops and restaurants as well as a gym and the Sam Adams Brewery close by. Doyles Bar (as seen in the movie Mystic River) one block away. Very quiet too. High speed internet, free W/D, spacious, clean, pets possible. I am looking for someone to split the utils and rent. Email me if you are interested. [email protected]

look at my little thread... still goin strong... hope everything works out great for all of you still in the search.

you should be proud....although I'm still homeless...no worries though.

I've contacted several brokers and they all have PROBLEMS REPLYING. I've emailed several times, called a gazillion times. WTF! :mad:

I've gotten lucky with some brokers replying. It seems like the market is moving pretty fast out there. Anyways, for people with no credit, do you know if you have to have a cosignor when leasing the apt? I have some credit under my name from my car and its all in good standing, but I heard that I might need a cosignor for the lease. Anyone have any experience with this? Thank you :)

mars2213 said:
I've gotten lucky with some brokers replying. It seems like the market is moving pretty fast out there. Anyways, for people with no credit, do you know if you have to have a cosignor when leasing the apt? I have some credit under my name from my car and its all in good standing, but I heard that I might need a cosignor for the lease. Anyone have any experience with this? Thank you :)

I guarantee that you will need a cosigner.

Omg I Got An Apt!!!! :D

Where did you end up living? Did you get a good deal? Congrats...I know the process sucked...I just stopped looking :)

I ended up living in Backbay Fens?
I got a pretty good deal on a studio
for about 1025, heat, gas, hw included.
It's pretty nice, a good size room with a
separate kitchen and bathroom. A lil
foyer area. From what I've seen it looks ok.
Supposedly it's not too far from BU Med
(correct me if I'm wrong) and is close to a lot
of restaurants, etc.

Opinions?

congratulations, what a relief it must be for you!

i'm exhausted from this apartment search with nothing to show for it...

Members don't see this ad :)
hey all,

djyujin, I'm guessing you took some of the info I gave and looked in fenway..and I think we're probably in the same building complex based on your description (with the foyer, etc.). I saw a couple apartments in that complex and they're all pretty nice.

For anyone still looking for a studio you can try the property management company directly or try to find one of their brokers (which are usually no fee).

http://www.finebergcompanies.com/residential/details.cfm?propid=18
(about the complex)

http://www.finebergcompanies.com/contact/index.cfm

I think most of the studios are between 995-1025.

It would be nice to have some other MAMS people nearby :)

Yeah it's on Boylston street? Near that little park area? (From what
I've seen on GoogleEarth and GoogleMaps) :D

I'm doing it all through fax/email/phone...

I regret to inform everyone that I must retract the offer for a room in JP. Thank you all for the overwhelming response. I have decided to relocate. Good luck.

I am still looking for a room somewhere close to HES. Very easy going, just wants someone who is quiet, and focused on school.

Let me know - [email protected]

If anyone's still looking, I'm moving out of my apartment in the south end. It's on Massachusetts Ave. between Tremont and Shawmut. If you map it, you'll see it's about a five minute walk from the BU medical campus, and pretty close to the Tufts/NEMC campus. Pretty much everyone in the building is affiliated with one or another.

The room is pretty small, but in the front of the building, so you get a great view of the dog park. It also doesn't have a closet. I hung a rack that I'll be leaving, and it's worked well for me. We'll consider males (we're co-ed), but my female roommate has said she would prefer another female. We're looking for someone who is laid back, relatively quiet, and basically understands the concept of mutual respect. Your roomates would be a Ph.D. student at Harvard, and a resident (who is out of the house by 5am pretty much every day; hence the quiet thing). The rent is $670, which includes heat and hot water. The only bill you pay is electric, which has never been more than $20 per person.

If you're interested, email me at [email protected]. We're going to start showing it next week.

Thanks.

MedSchoolHopefu said:
So I decided against the North End. I saw a few places in Cambridge yesterday (Central Square) and I am almost 100% sure I'll be there...it's one stop on the redline from Harvard Sqaure and 1 or 2 from MGH. It's also really close to the Charles River. If anyone else is going to be at HES and living in the area let me know.

Good luck with your search

I'll be starting classes at HES this fall. Looking forward to meeting more of my fellow classmates! I just moved into a place over near Tufts (~10 min. walk to Davis Square/Red Line). Would definitely recommend this area to anyone--it's very quiet, safe and convenient (lots of families, etc.)! Good luck to everyone

Hello,
I am also looking for accomodations close to BUMC. Did you dod your search yourself or used a realtor/agent and paid a fees for it.
Please let me know, I am desperately looking for a no fee studio...
Thanks
PK_Bond

djyujin said:
I ended up living in Backbay Fens?
I got a pretty good deal on a studio
for about 1025, heat, gas, hw included.
It's pretty nice, a good size room with a
separate kitchen and bathroom. A lil
foyer area. From what I've seen it looks ok.
Supposedly it's not too far from BU Med
(correct me if I'm wrong) and is close to a lot
of restaurants, etc.

Opinions?

hey pk,

i think the best way of finding housing
is to look through craigs list?
and just type in fenway no fee
and you get a whole bunch of listings.
(i think somebody said this on this thread)
once you do that you can contact
the indivdiual people, landlords, etc. about
getting a studio. the housing market is crazy
so you wanna do this by the end of the month
g'luck

I have found a nice 4 bed place on Columbus Ave and Mass Ave. It includes heat and hot water. $725 per person. I have a roommate and we are trying to find two other people who would be interrested in this place. I am working on getting pics of the place. I saw it last week and it was pretty nice. The landlord said it was still available as of yesterday. Email me at [email protected] if you are interrested.

ALSO if you are looking for two people to room with you, email me too.

i was wondering if anybody else had the same problem....
my lease officially starts sept. 1st....
but i would like to move in earlier than that... what are you guys who are in
a similar position, doing about that?

drsoccerstud said:
I have found a nice 4 bed place on Columbus Ave and Mass Ave. It includes heat and hot water. $725 per person. I have a roommate and we are trying to find two other people who would be interrested in this place. I am working on getting pics of the place. I saw it last week and it was pretty nice. The landlord said it was still available as of yesterday. Email me at [email protected] if you are interrested.

ALSO if you are looking for two people to room with you, email me too.

you have mail!

So, any MAMSers in BackBay/Fens Area? :D

djyujin said:
i was wondering if anybody else had the same problem....
my lease officially starts sept. 1st....
but i would like to move in earlier than that... what are you guys who are in
a similar position, doing about that?

A lot of times your landlord will kick the person out about a week before Sept. 1st, in order to clean up the place and so forth. I would contact them and let them know of the situation and they may be able to help.

Yeah I called them, and they said I'd just have to wait? :scared:

Places keep falling through....if you are moving out of a place, need a roomate, or have a place.........let me know. Looking for Aug-Sept. move in.

[email protected]

SCRATCH THAT POST ABOVE:

If you need a place to live, I have a room for rent in a studio with den (aka one bed split) at Harrison Court. You would pay $725 (only utility to pay is electricity... and cable if we decide to get that). 1 Bathroom, Kitchen, Central Heat/AC, elevator in building...check out harrison court's website if you want more info. One person would set up shop in family room, the other in the den. we'd just equal out the spaces and the rest could be common area. The place is about 630 sq. feet....its not that large but the price is great.

I'm gonna be a 1st year MAMS student, straight male...looking to room with the same, Looking for someone who is not too highstrung and respectful since the place is not huge.

Harrison court is in the south end across from school. Lease starts before orientation.

Hit me back if you're interested and I can e-mail you more info. I'm headed out for a little party filled weekend, so I might not get back to you until Sunday.

Devin
[email protected]

Thanks.

Hey all,

Looking for a roommate...heading out to Boston next week in search for an apartment. I'm 22/female/non smoker. Will be at HES in the fall. Please PM me if interested!!! Other females only please. Thanks!!

etikit said:
SCRATCH THAT POST ABOVE:

If you need a place to live, I have a room for rent in a studio with den (aka one bed split) at Harrison Court. You would pay $725 (only utility to pay is electricity... and cable if we decide to get that). 1 Bathroom, Kitchen, Central Heat/AC, elevator in building...check out harrison court's website if you want more info. One person would set up shop in family room, the other in the den. we'd just equal out the spaces and the rest could be common area. The place is about 630 sq. feet....its not that large but the price is great.

I'm gonna be a 1st year MAMS student, straight male...looking to room with the same, Looking for someone who is not too highstrung and respectful since the place is not huge.

Harrison court is in the south end across from school. Lease starts before orientation.

Hit me back if you're interested and I can e-mail you more info. I'm headed out for a little party filled weekend, so I might not get back to you until Sunday.

Devin
[email protected]

Thanks.

SCRATCH THIS:

The room has been taken. Thanks for those who showed interest...good luck with your search.

sup everybody, i was just wondering if anybody around backbay/fens is selling furniture? if so, PM me please!

I have a room to rent - $750 per month, Kendell square (3 miles from HES), commencing August 15th. Ideal person someone laid back, focused and hard working.

If you are interested or have questions - [email protected]

any former MAMSers have any furniture for sale, etc.?
:D

hi everyone. i'm going into the dual mams/mhbm(Mental Health and Behavioral Medicine) program, was the last person to get interviewed a couple weeks ago, and probably last person they accepted. and that leaves me a month to find somewhere to live! :scared: is anyone still looking for a roommate?
what're good areas to live at?
female, nonsmoker, woulld prefer to have a cat or small dog.

Hi everyone,

It looks like I will not be in Boston next year after all. If anyone is still looking for housing, I have a wonderful studio (newly refurbished) on Beacon St. (btwn Fairfield and Gloucester) in Back Bay. The building has a washer/dryer on the first floor and is professionals only. (If you're in GMS, that is fine. No college kids.) Your rent covers heat and hot water, but does not cover electricity. (About 20 bucks a month.) I'll even toss in my air conditioning unit and some furniture. You can't really live anywhere in Boston better than this; you are a five minute walk to Newbury St., the Esplanade, Prudential Center, and Mass Ave (To catch the #1 down to BUMC or Harvard and the Longwood Shuttle). No pets allowed.

If you are interested please PM me and I will send you my contact info.

For BUMC grad students:

"Interested in Harrison Court? we are two first-year medical school students, looking for a third female roommate to share our 2-bedroom apartment. The spacious 12'' by 26.5'' living room would be divided to create a third bedroom. There is ample closet space and rent is only $715/month (electricity is not included) for this prime location. we are looking for someone who would sign the lease for august. Contact [email protected] if you are interested and/or have any questions!"

Hey everyone,
I was recently accepted to BU's MAMS program and I need housing. So, if anyone is looking for a roommate, let me know. I am a 24 yr old male who is pretty easy going. feel free to email me at [email protected]

Hi there - I also was just accepted to the MAMS, and now need a place to live! :rolleyes:
I'm a friendly 27-yo female, currently living near Boston, looking for a room <$900 btwn Harvard Sq (where I spend most of my time) and BUMC. I have many interests besides medicine, and I'd love to share an apt with roommates who are kind, mature, social, and non-competitive. I have my own friends and I work hard, but I'm always happy to check out new places with new people in my limited free time. I also have a turtle and would like to be able to get a cat, so pet-friendly would be great. If this sounds like a match, and you have an opening or would like to look for a place together, please contact me at jskot7 at gmail dot com.

Does anyone know what the commute from Providence to Boston (specifically Harvard) is like? I'm looking to move to the area in late August and was just wondering how brutal the commute is.

letitgo said:
Does anyone know what the commute from Providence to Boston (specifically Harvard) is like? I'm looking to move to the area in late August and was just wondering how brutal the commute is.

Well, the quickest way is probably the Commuter Rail (Prov to South Station, and then up to Harvard on the T), and you're still looking at ~1.5 hrs. Providence is a little over 1 hr by car on a nice day, but heading into the city during rush hour on 95 usually doubles (or even triples) that time... :/

letitgo said:

Natick or Wellesley would be about an hour by rail, but may be more palatable. That is, if you don't want to live near Boston.

Andes87 said:
Hey all,

Looking for a roommate...heading out to Boston next week in search for an apartment. I'm 22/female/non smoker. Will be at HES in the fall. Please PM me if interested!!! Other females only please. Thanks!!

Hi, I am starting the BU MAMS program at the end of the month and still looking for housing. PM if you are still looking. I am also a female non smoker.

Thanks!

Sherry

hey there, where is everyone getting renter's insurance from? I was thinking of getting one through Geico, but I don't know if there are better companies that serve boston.

Hi! I'm an incoming MAMS student and have been looking for places for a while now...is your studio still available? Please let me know as soon as possible. Thanks for your time!! :D

jklasser17 said:
Hi everyone,

It looks like I will not be in Boston next year after all. If anyone is still looking for housing, I have a wonderful studio (newly refurbished) on Beacon St. (btwn Fairfield and Gloucester) in Back Bay. The building has a washer/dryer on the first floor and is professionals only. (If you're in GMS, that is fine. No college kids.) Your rent covers heat and hot water, but does not cover electricity. (About 20 bucks a month.) I'll even toss in my air conditioning unit and some furniture. You can't really live anywhere in Boston better than this; you are a five minute walk to Newbury St., the Esplanade, Prudential Center, and Mass Ave (To catch the #1 down to BUMC or Harvard and the Longwood Shuttle). No pets allowed.

If you are interested please PM me and I will send you my contact info.

Hi! I was accepted to the MAMS program as well and haven't had much luck thus far :confused: still looking for a roommate???

jlr18 said:
Hi there - I also was just accepted to the MAMS, and now need a place to live! :rolleyes:
I'm a friendly 27-yo female, currently living near Boston, looking for a room <$900 btwn Harvard Sq (where I spend most of my time) and BUMC. I have many interests besides medicine, and I'd love to share an apt with roommates who are kind, mature, social, and non-competitive. I have my own friends and I work hard, but I'm always happy to check out new places with new people in my limited free time. I also have a turtle and would like to be able to get a cat, so pet-friendly would be great. If this sounds like a match, and you have an opening or would like to look for a place together, please contact me at jskot7 at gmail dot com.

habs said:
Hi! I was accepted to the MAMS program as well and haven't had much luck thus far :confused: still looking for a roommate???

Hi, what is the harvard square and central square location like? How can you commute from Harvard Square to BUMC?
Thanks!

Hi! i'm a female from cali looking for a place to live:) i don't mind living with 2 or 4 or whatever amount of people as long as i get my own room and live with students that are in the program. I would love to have roommates who would like to form a study group so we can excel in the program together. I'm very down to earth, clean, and curdious...just want to study hard and do well in the program. I don't mind living close or far (as some of you have said that it might be good living in a more lively part of boston)--but no more than a 30 min commute on public trans…and i don't have a car. I am willing to pay up to $900 a month (but of course I would love to rent a room around the $700s haha).

biztomedindc said:
Hi, what is the harvard square and central square location like? How can you commute from Harvard Square to BUMC?
Thanks!

Sorry! I don't know what the commute is like...I'm not familiar with the area yet.