*~*~*~* Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2021-2024 *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The volunteering came first but had no relation to the job offer. I volunteered for 30-40ish hours and worked for ~200. Different contacts.
You might list it as Employment for the work hours, but mention the back story in the narrative of the preceding minimal volunteer hours, trying to find some connection/inspiration/impact that segued into the job. But not including the volunteer hours in your Total Hours space.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it worth it to mention this in my section description for my research on AMCAS or bring it up in a potential interview? Or would it be inappropriate to bring it up?

Edit: If anyone is reading this the context is that I was mentioned in a national news article for my research.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Is it worth it to mention this in my section description for my research on AMCAS or bring it up in a potential interview? Or would it be inappropriate to bring it up?
I have moved your question about your research being featured in the news to the main AMCAS activities thread.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I have a question about combining 2 of my activities into 1 entry. Specifically, I have some campus food pantry volunteer experience from early college 2017-2019, and for the past year I've been volunteering with an organization where I have 2 different roles, one of which is being a food drive volunteer. Since food pantry volunteer and food drive volunteer are very similar roles, though they serve slightly different communities, I'm wondering if you'd recommend grouping them together or if that would create confusion since they're separated by a few years. How can I use the given space to clarify that they are 2 separate activities with 2 different contacts?

Hi! I have a question about combining 2 of my activities into 1 entry. Specifically, I have some campus food pantry volunteer experience from early college 2017-2019, and for the past year I've been volunteering with an organization where I have 2 different roles, one of which is being a food drive volunteer. Since food pantry volunteer and food drive volunteer are very similar roles, though they serve slightly different communities, I'm wondering if you'd recommend grouping them together or if that would create confusion since they're separated by a few years. How can I use the given space to clarify that they are 2 separate activities with 2 different contacts?
So long as you have a title that applies to both activities, you can combine them in one space.

Experiment with using the Repeated function (which allows for two date spans and two total hours blanks). Mention the 2nd Contact when you describe the different roles with the 2nd volunteer gig.

If you’d prefer to have activity 2 listed first so that Contact is in the header (since they’d recall you better), then describe everything narratively with specific date spans in your description and subtotals of hours.