Official ACS Organic chemistry standard test.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dudecoolname

words under my username
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my organic chemistry II professor (who i also took for Ochem I) has always had REALLY tough multiple choice exams. (He also does free-response exams sometimes which are always easier.)

Anyway, I just found out today that he was using questions from the ACS standard exam for organic.

Any idea where I can purchase the official study guide for this? I definetly need some extra practice for these exams.

I'm looking on www.acs.org and am having no luck finding the official study guide.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

^Thank you.

Anyone used this study guide for test prep before?

Members don't see this ad :)
^Thank you.

Anyone used this study guide for test prep before?

We took the ACS exam as our final, cumulative exam in Orgo 2. The whole exam was 70 questions and included Orgo 1 AND Orgo 2 material. I borrowed the ACS study book from a friend (I think he paid $25) and it helped so much.

I like the ACS because I believe a standardized test "levels the playing field" in organic, since everyone has different Orgo 1 teachers and the questions are straightforward.

Good luck :)

IMO, it's a great exam and it truly tests whether you actually know the material from Organic Chemistry.

Regardless of the professional school that you're interested in attending, I believe that if you can understand the material covered in the text, you will EASILY ace the Organic on the PCAT, MCAT, OAT, or DAT.

I did the ACS exam this past spring semester and found the official study guide EXTREMELY helpful. If you know everything in the study book, you'll pass it EASILY with flying colors.

DrExperimento, did you happen to go to GCC? :laugh:

I killed the ACS exam - average score was something like a 37/70 and I got a 62+ on it (it was a couple years ago so I don't remember exactly). My class graded it out of 50 points, so up to 140% was available on the final. Let me put it this way - I pulled from a C+ to an A for the semester on that single exam.

Yeah, I ran around my house screaming like a crazy person when I saw the final grade posted. Anyway, now that I've tooted my own horn...

I wish I had studied the ACS book more thoroughly. I would have been a lot more confident going in. The questions on the ACS were completely different from how my profs for O Chem I & II had been presenting the info, so I know I did a lot better having purchased the book. There were some pitfalls I avoided on the actual test from having fallen into them on the practice, too. It does take time to get through, though.

Close, PC :) hehe. I think all maricopa ochem class requires ACS exams now. That's a crazy score for having different content than what you were given in class. Kudos to you sir :)

Just to reiterate what people here have said, it's a great review book that does an excellent job preparing you for the test. If you can go through it and understand the material you'll do fine on the real test.

Close, PC :) hehe. I think all maricopa ochem class requires ACS exams now. That's a crazy score for having different content than what you were given in class. Kudos to you sir :)

Thanks... Just presented differently. I guess there were a couple things on the test we didn't learn, but the prof told us flat out "I don't have time to teach XYZ, if you really want to ace it, go study those things on your own & ask if you have questions." I'm kind of glad they require it - proves the CC is giving a good course.

High five for MCCD! :laugh: (PS, good luck on your MWU & UofA apps. :thumbup:)

Thanks... Just presented differently. I guess there were a couple things on the test we didn't learn, but the prof told us flat out "I don't have time to teach XYZ, if you really want to ace it, go study those things on your own & ask if you have questions." I'm kind of glad they require it - proves the CC is giving a good course.

High five for MCCD! :laugh: (PS, good luck on your MWU & UofA apps. :thumbup:)

I had the ACS for my OCHEM II final as well. I agree with xtsukiyox about CCs. I have much more respect for them than I did before deciding to apply to pharmacy school.:thumbup:

Just got the the official guide in the mail :), hoping ill be able to briefly go through it in 10-15 days in time for the next multiple choice exam

It has about 10 practice questions after each chapter, hopefully that will be sufficient. If not, is there somewhere that I could obtain some extra practice Q's?

Just got the the official guide in the mail :), hoping ill be able to briefly go through it in 10-15 days in time for the next multiple choice exam

It has about 10 practice questions after each chapter, hopefully that will be sufficient. If not, is there somewhere that I could obtain some extra practice Q's?
Do you still have the ACS org chem guide I would like to buy it from you. My exam is Wed. Dec 7. and paying online is not quick enough.