This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Took ABIM recertification test (this was my second recert test)

I chose taking the exam because I wanted to just do it one time and not have to deal with 5 years of LKA questions. As I was preparing for the exam I came to question this decision many many times, and I think if I had to do it over I probably would have chosen to do the LKA questions (maybe..)

Preparation: I did all 2200 MKSAP 19 questions (I used Uptodate on some of the questions, but honestly I was too lazy to use it and would usually just give a educated guess, My score was around 63-65%) I was planning on reviewing all of the wrong answers but I got totally tired out of studying and after I completed all of the questions I didn't have the mental energy to review the wrong questions. I assumed the exam itself would be easier than MKSAP (more on that later)

Arrived at testing center at 730. I asked the proctor how long are ABIM people usually at the test center, he said they are usually here until 430-530 depending on how much break time they use, in my mind I was thinking there's no way I'll be here until 430pm. I was thinking I would not need the full 2 hours per section (55 questions per section x 4 sections). I skipped the tutorial since I did it at home, and dove right into the first section. I quickly realized that this test was not easy, in fact I had to look up the answers to the first five questions and it took me a while to figure them out. It quickly dawned on me that this was going to be a long day. One hour into the exam, I was feeling pretty depressed knowing I had 7 more hours of questiosn. I estimate I had to use Uptodate on 80% of the questions. What helped me was I started to view it as not an exam, but a research exercise using Uptodate, and I just relaxed and took my time. The questions were very particular and there was no way to know the answer besides looking up the answers. I ended up using all of the time for each section, in fact on two of the sections I basically didn't have any time left, there definitely was not time to review any questions. I was pretty patient and took my time with uptodate hunting for answers, I think this strategy payed off because if you look long enough (usually) i could find the answer.

I was finished by 5:30pm. Long story short the test is basically 8 hours of searching Uptodate for answers to very particular questions. One thing I am not sure is: Is the original non recertification test (where you do not have Uptodate) the same, I really can't imagine doing this particular test without Uptodate. I didn't have any issues passing the original boards (20 years ago and the first recertification 10 years ago), so I don't know if they have now made the recertification test more difficult now or if it is the same. Honestly, in hindsight I would have studied less because I don't think any more studying would have made any difference.

If I could do it over, would I choose the exam over the LKA questions? This is a tough call. Now that I'm done, I'm happy to be finished. I actually think either option is reasonable, if you are someone who just wants to be done with it, I think the exam is a good option. Interestingly enough on this particular exam day, there were only a handful of other doctors taking the exam, I do not think the exam is a very popular option. I hope this helps anyone who is making the decision regarding ABIM recertification.
How did you have enough time to get through the exam if you used Up to Date for 80% of the questions? Aren't you only allotted an average of about 2 minutes per question? You would have to be pretty quick with finding the answer on Up To Date with all those questions. It sounds like a pretty stressful exam.

Members don't see this ad.

How did you have enough time to get through the exam if you used Up to Date for 80% of the questions? Aren't you only allotted an average of about 2 minutes per question? You would have to be pretty quick with finding the answer on Up To Date with all those questions. It sounds like a pretty stressful exam.
I don't know either. I timed myself with practice tests, giving myself 30 secs to use UpToDate for a question. Frankly if you can't find the answer in under a minute, you're not going to find it within the constraints of the timed exam without skipping some potentially easy questions.
I only used it about 6 times during each block on my first pass.
If I had some time left over (some easy 5 sec questions), I'd go back to my marked questions and look in UpToDate again. That was pretty low yield.

I feel like it is gonna be so hard for me to get 64% of ABIM questions correct to pass. On UW, I average around 50-55%...