Official ABIM 2014 thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Great, this gives me a lot of idea where to start from. Thank you so much.

Members don't see this ad.

That makes a lot of sense, do you think I should change anything to be honest I feel I didn't study well if you read my earlier post. The review coarse was too fast paced for me I was able to do his notes only twice. I was thinking of doing the whole of MKSAP 16 questions, Board Basic, another question bank like Medstudy or NEJM and repetition. any takes on that? I don't think I can take another review coarse.
I think that no matter what study strategy you use (MKSAP, MedStudy, Awesome Review, whatever), you need to start with a pre-test to figure out where you're weakest and what to focus on. I only used the MKSAP questions so I don't know if this is something other Q banks have but the online version allowed you to create custom exams. So I made a custom exam out of every subject area containing 10-20% of the total # of questions and if I scored >75%, I set that aside to focus on later. Sections I did poorly on (<50%) got the full MKSAP chapter thrown at it. Those I did between 50 and 75% got the BB3 treatment. I then created 60 question random exams until I got through the whole Q bank.

TL;DR - Test your baseline knowledge (and gaps) first. Study for the gaps because that's where the money is.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think that no matter what study strategy you use (MKSAP, MedStudy, Awesome Review, whatever), you need to start with a pre-test to figure out where you're weakest and what to focus on. I only used the MKSAP questions so I don't know if this is something other Q banks have but the online version allowed you to create custom exams. So I made a custom exam out of every subject area containing 10-20% of the total # of questions and if I scored >75%, I set that aside to focus on later. Sections I did poorly on (<50%) got the full MKSAP chapter thrown at it. Those I did between 50 and 75% got the BB3 treatment. I then created 60 question random exams until I got through the whole Q bank.

TL;DR - Test your baseline knowledge (and gaps) first. Study for the gaps because that's where the money is.

That's true, once I get the score report I will see the weak areas and also do the MKSAP pretty test!

Thanks!!!

Hi, I certified this year. i am in dilemma should I do MOC, do you pay $2000 for just that, and then more money for all the MOC credits, or is it all inclusive for the 100 MOC points for 10 years.
i heard they don't even give you 10 year certificates now, its a annual process for certificates. .... comments, suggestions appreciated.

Just wanted to give feedback to a forum from which I have gained so much.

American Grad.
State medical school.
Above average US residency.
USMLE Steps: Above average
Currently, heme/onc fellow
ITE: ~20 percentile (never studied for them....but still....)

I started studying ~ February. I used:
MedStudy books and videos.
MKSAP 15 and 16 questions.
BB3

Passed!!

I loved the MedStudy books and would highly recommend them!

Passed and also want to contribute to posterity

Mid tier residency with no emphasis on boards and busy floors; ITE 10-20 percentile; terrible in all the big gun dept (cards, GI, ID, Pulm but did well in GIM)
I learn best by taking notes
started beginning of R3 & study process moved like molasses but had luxury of about 6 weeks off between graduating R3 & attending job

Materials used:
MKSAP 15 qbank - be wary though - some stuff really out of date now
- did not complete

MKSAP 16 qbank
- 2x; ~50% first time and then >70% 2nd time
- took notes on literally EVERY question & then read my notes on down time --> this was very helpful as there are topics that I could not find in the text that was covered in the qbank

Medstudy books
- 2x reading
- took notes and then took notes again in margins of BB3 on second reading

BB3: read 2x; first while notating Medstudy

Don't want to sound like a broken record but doing questions really helps BUT you have to review the questions afterwards too

using medstudy videos, questions, mksap questions, knowledge…anybody try nejm IM questions?? is that worth it?

My strategy:

1. Go over BB3 highlight the important stuff
2. Memorize those important stuff
3. Do MKSAP 15 and 16 questions without taking notes
4. Repeat 2, and 3 every day (total BB3 highlights x10, MKSAP 15 x1, MKSAP 16x1 complete 100% score 57% correct)
Result: passed

Foreign graduate, mid tier residency program. Not intelligent like the rest of you but more hard-working than most of my co-residents.

The theme has always worked for me throughout medical school, step 1,2, & 3 is to stick with one source and know it well.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'm going to be taking the ABIM in 2015, initial certification, and want to take Awesome review based on the enthusiastic comments I've read on here. When during the study process would be ideal to take it, i.e. early Feb-Mar, or later in the game June-July? Thanks!

How long does it take until we get the score report in the mail?

Members don't see this ad :)
My strategy:

1. Go over BB3 highlight the important stuff
2. Memorize those important stuff
3. Do MKSAP 15 and 16 questions without taking notes
4. Repeat 2, and 3 every day (total BB3 highlights x10, MKSAP 15 x1, MKSAP 16x1 complete 100% score 57% correct)
Result: passed

Foreign graduate, mid tier residency program. Not intelligent like the rest of you but more hard-working than most of my co-residents.

The theme has always worked for me throughout medical school, step 1,2, & 3 is to stick with one source and know it well.

Do you mean to say you read the MKSAP 15 and 16 books or only the Questions?? It maybe too much to read the whole book Thanks

I have been a silent reader before the boards. I must say I was pretty intimidated when I started reading this forum as I had not been reading during residency and had been scoring below 30th percentile in ITE during the first two yrs of residency. I studied for 10-15 days before the 3rd yr ITE and my score shot up to 70th percentile.
I started studying for the boards around December, one hour a day approximately
I am the kind of person who has to read the textbook before I do the qs, but I didnt have time between a busy residency.
So I saw the Medstudy videos instead for each subject, then did the mksap qs and I made my own notes
Then read BB3 2 times and read my own notes a second time
Felt the exam was super tough but passed.
For those of you are struggling to decide what source you need to use, I was in your shoes. But what I figured out is no matter what source you choose, know it cold. There is no point using 10 different resource and knowing any of the sources well. Beware of too many sources. I think one or two sources are more than enough and make sure you read BB3, its gold!
Hope this helps.
Thank you everyone for the posts before the exam, it really motivated me to read

I am selling my MKSAP 16 books , if anyone is interested please send me a message.

I haven't received my score report yet. What about y'all?

Me too, haven't received yet. last year they released it on the 10/21

Me too, haven't received yet. last year they released it on the 10/21
Thanks MG78. Sheesh, 3 months to release results, 1 month to mail them!! When I received the pass/fail notification, it said if score report not in by the 27th, to let them know. I thought that meant we'd get it way earlier than that. Crappy service for the 1400$ it costs. Probably just using it to try out stupid new sputum/hair/aura scanners or whatever.:annoyed:

Really glad to have found this board. I failed the exam this year and have been really down. Reading through some of these posts is motivating. I know for myself I took it way too lightly. All I did was cram MKSAP books and the qbank in the last month. Knew I failed as soon as I left the exam.... no question about it.

Taking the advice of some of you here, I will take some time off before starting studying. I have, however, laid out my plan.
- Board Basics (primary source) - given to me by a friend.
- MKSAP books (already have them... will use as reference)
- MKSAP qbank - already have it
- Knowmedge qbank - took advantage of the $100 coupon.
- UWorld qbank - will get this probably spring time.

I will also register for Awesome review...probably in early spring time.

Hopefully that will be enough. If anyone has any other suggestions.... I am open to any ideas! Really do not want to fail again. Thank you for this board and for everyone's post. Really helpful.

Reactions: 1 users
Really glad to have found this board. I failed the exam this year and have been really down. Reading through some of these posts is motivating. I know for myself I took it way too lightly. All I did was cram MKSAP books and the qbank in the last month. Knew I failed as soon as I left the exam.... no question about it.

Taking the advice of some of you here, I will take some time off before starting studying. I have, however, laid out my plan.

Hopefully that will be enough. If anyone has any other suggestions.... I am open to any ideas! Really do not want to fail again. Thank you for this board and for everyone's post. Really helpful.

Sounds like a good plan!

would add medstudy - a lot easier to read than mksap. learn through medstudy, consolidate through BB3, then do question after question.

when do the score reports come out?!

I have the same story crammed at the last min.... have pretty much the same plan as yours except I will be doing the Awesome notes will NOT take the coarse, I did the Unique coarse and figured the coarse thing is just not for me. Just wanted to ask you how did you manage to get the $100 coupon foe the NEJM Knowledge is there a way to get it?? I want to buy the qbank. I would also add Medstudy flash cards to the plan.

Good luck!

I have the same story crammed at the last min.... have pretty much the same plan as yours except I will be doing the Awesome notes will NOT take the coarse, I did the Unique coarse and figured the coarse thing is just not for me. Just wanted to ask you how did you manage to get the $100 coupon foe the NEJM Knowledge is there a way to get it?? I want to buy the qbank. I would also add Medstudy flash cards to the plan.

Good luck!
Hi - There's a coupon for the Knowmedge qbank .... different than the NEJM Knowledge qbank.

To get the coupon code, you have to simply email them your result: http://knowmedge.com/blog/abim-internal-medicine-board-exam-results-2014/

The Medstudy flashcards is a good idea... thank you! I'll add those as well.

Good luck to you as well - hopefully we're both posting here 1 year from now with passing scores!

Hi everyone. I'm new here. I didn't pass the test as well. Will try again next year. Seriously contemplating about a change in career. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I too haven't received the results in the mail yet. I agree with Leo Spaceman. Why is ABIM taking too long?!?

With the recent questioning of ABIM's integrity due to their changing MOC rules, i'm beginning to wonder if there is something fishy going on why it's taking them so long to decide which questions I answered wrong. Hmmm...

I don't mean to sound like a sour-grape but with all the great technologies out there, there must be a faster way of doing this. :yawn:

Anyone check your mail today?

Been checking my mail everyday. Mailman actually thinks I'm stalking him.

Wait, maybe the reason why ABIM hasn't mailed the score reports is because they are running out of funds. They are lacking money to buy enough stamps to send out the score reports of the people who took it this year, the year before, and the year before that, and so on.:dead:

Been checking my mail everyday. Mailman actually thinks I'm stalking him.

Wait, maybe the reason why ABIM hasn't mailed the score reports is because they are running out of funds. They are lacking money to buy enough stamps to send out the score reports of the people who took it this year, the year before, and the year before that, and so on.:dead:
You have no idea! it makes me mad every day that I DON'T see the score report in my mailbox. Neanderthals!

You have no idea! it makes me mad every day that I DON'T see the score report in my mailbox. Neanderthals!

As much as it is difficult not to get frustrated at ABIM's unknown system (of scoring, determining passing rates, and time to send out reports), I urge you not to be mad. When I think of my failing this year's exam, I think of all my patients who have learned they have GBM or metastatic breast CA at age 40. I then begin to realize that failing an exam is nothing compared to what other people are going through. Life goes on. We can do this.

"Success is not final; failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - W. Churchill

Last edited:
As much as it is difficult not to get frustrated at ABIM's unknown system (of scoring, determining passing rates, and time to send out reports), I urge you not to be mad. When I think of my failing this year's exam, I think of all my patients who have learned they have GBM or metastatic breast CA at age 40. I then begin to realize that failing an exam is nothing compared to what other people are going through. Life goes on. We can do this.

"Success is not final; failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - W. Churchill

Well said!

No, it's just that it cost us boatloads of money to take the test...it's criminal, and why can it NOT be like the USMLE where you get an e-score report. It is unacceptable really in this day and age.
As for those unfortunate patients, trust me, every single time I see a 30-40 yr old with cancer/lupus/CKD, it breaks my heart a little - we all should probably stop practicing medicine when that sort of stuff stops affecting us.

No, it's just that it cost us boatloads of money to take the test...it's criminal, and why can it NOT be like the USMLE where you get an e-score report. It is unacceptable really in this day and age.
As for those unfortunate patients, trust me, every single time I see a 30-40 yr old with cancer/lupus/CKD, it breaks my heart a little - we all should probably stop practicing medicine when that sort of stuff stops affecting us.

Agree. Speaking of boatloads of money, don't forget to register 12/1/14 for the 2015 ABIM test. I just loooove paying ABIM money. I'm not sure why it gives me so much pleasure. :dead: The earlier the better, lest we pay for the late registration fee of additional 600 buckaroos or so. Can't wait to join the official 2015 ABIM thread (that one is said without sarcasm). If there is anything fun about taking these tests repeatedly, it is the joy of meeting people who have been uber generous with sharing their tips and giving encouragement to each other. :)

Have a great day everyone!

"Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude." -Zig Ziglar

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/z/zigziglar381975.html#et88zbZDWcRLedBi.99

Hi - There's a coupon for the Knowmedge qbank .... different than the NEJM Knowledge qbank.

To get the coupon code, you have to simply email them your result: http://knowmedge.com/blog/abim-internal-medicine-board-exam-results-2014/

The Medstudy flashcards is a good idea... thank you! I'll add those as well.

Good luck to you as well - hopefully we're both posting here 1 year from now with passing scores!

Thanks for the link to the coupon, I didn't know about the Knowledge, Q bank I thought its the same as NEJM. Have you heard about the NEJM qbank a lot have recommended that to me so I was thinking of getting that what do you recommend knowledge or NEJM?

Any of you guys has anyone else had good experience with these 2 qbanks what would you guys recommend????

I hope so too and am positive that we will succeed next year :) positive thoughts and vibes only.

Thanks for the link to the coupon, I didn't know about the Knowledge, Q bank I thought its the same as NEJM. Have you heard about the NEJM qbank a lot have recommended that to me so I was thinking of getting that what do you recommend knowledge or NEJM?

Any of you guys has anyone else had good experience with these 2 qbanks what would you guys recommend????

I hope so too and am positive that we will succeed next year :) positive thoughts and vibes only.

A couple of my colleagues used Knowmedge this year. They both passed and both spoke highly of the videos...thought it helped them out. Plus reading through this thread, seems like a lot of people used Knowmedge as well. I'm a visual learner myself so its definitely worth a shot for me. So far, I've only practiced a couple dozen questions. I really like the platform also, really different than MKSAP. Definitely recommend, especially with the $100 off.

I actually don't know anyone that's used NEJM. The platform does look good but don't know much more. Looks like they just launched in April.

I'm an R3 and just getting started with ABIM 2015 prep. My program does a lot of MKSAP in noon conf and sometimes morning report. Lot of useful info but I'm concerned MKSAP's not very board-focused. More of a reference for when I'm actually practicing as an attending. Anyone have suggestions for non-MKSAP QBank? I haven't done great on exams in the past so am looking for something that will allow the concepts to stick.

I'm an R3 and just getting started with ABIM 2015 prep. My program does a lot of MKSAP in noon conf and sometimes morning report. Lot of useful info but I'm concerned MKSAP's not very board-focused. More of a reference for when I'm actually practicing as an attending. Anyone have suggestions for non-MKSAP QBank? I haven't done great on exams in the past so am looking for something that will allow the concepts to stick.

All of you that are starting to study for next year already... way to go! As much as we all really don't like ABIM... we have to live by their rules right now. You guys will do it! :)

@Charles MD 24 - I would HIGHLY recommend another qbank in addition to MKSAP. I used Knowmedge (www.knowmedge.com) and the videos really helped the concepts "stick". If you're an audio-visual learner, it'll be especially helpful. I know others used UWorld and found it to be a good source as well. Also, BB3 is a more board-focused source than MKSAP so if you don't have that... you should consider it. Good luck to you! :)

Nothing in my mailbox today either...what a bunch of losers/lazers at ABIM. I know I'm not supposed to care about the numbers as long as I've passed, unfortunately I've grown up giving scores and grades a lot of importance, and I wanna know if my ITE scores were reliable.

To all those that will be taking the exam next year, the biggest piece of advice I have is to learn the everyday stuff well, and to go through MKSAP consistently. Honestly it's not a whole lot of material and it will positively impact how you care for your patients as well definitely to a small/larger degree.

My experience:
My ITE scores were good through my 3 years, and I did go through MKSAP material+ questions once/twice per organ system during the late PGY2-PGY3 period (and I am not the study at home every single day kind of person) esp before ITEs, but did not go through a cram session towards the end or take a board review course or use anything other than MKSAP and IMO, the exam was NOT tough.
In fact, I thought the questions were lest 'twistier' than Step3.
I hope this gives people hope since I see most of the posters here unintentionally make the boards to be a scarier monster than it actually is.

My 2 cents:
Read consistently and work at being a good IM resident, 75% of your board prep will be taken care of. early PGY3 isn't too late to start either IMO.

A couple of my colleagues used Knowmedge this year. They both passed and both spoke highly of the videos...thought it helped them out. Plus reading through this thread, seems like a lot of people used Knowmedge as well. I'm a visual learner myself so its definitely worth a shot for me. So far, I've only practiced a couple dozen questions. I really like the platform also, really different than MKSAP. Definitely recommend, especially with the $100 off.

I actually don't know anyone that's used NEJM. The platform does look good but don't know much more. Looks like they just launched in April.

great, I guess you are right, I am a visual learner as well. I saw the sample questions and found them to be a lot more interesting than the regular Qbanks that we usually come across, I will definitely give it a short especially with the $100 off!!! thanks for the input. Also in case you didn't notice while you checked out the NEJM website you can sign up free for the question of the week I did that too just for additional resource.

Thanks again.

My experience:
My ITE scores were good through my 3 years, and I did go through MKSAP material+ questions once/twice per organ system during the late PGY2-PGY3 period (and I am not the study at home every single day kind of person) esp before ITEs, but did not go through a cram session towards the end or take a board review course or use anything other than MKSAP and IMO, the exam was NOT tough.
In fact, I thought the questions were lest 'twistier' than Step3.
I hope this gives people hope since I see most of the posters here unintentionally make the boards to be a scarier monster than it actually is.

IMO.

Totally agree.

Failed three times before. Took a year off in between. Passed this year!!!!!! Key factor: No life stress or drama in my life. It doesn't matter how smart one is, if there is major distractions, this affects your performance. I am a living witness. ABIM requires complete dedication to the task. I would recommend sticking to one source. I used MKSAP 16 Digital. Only read the text if I needed clarification. I did not buy the books because over the years of studying realize that I am not the type to read the texts necessarily. I need to put things in context.
- I Did MKSAP 16 questions at least 5 times...all of the questions. Went over what I was getting wrong. Went back to my Robbins pathophys books if i needed to, even used some animated youtube videos to help drive basic concepts or remind me of basic concepts. Literally had lots of fun studying because i was stress free and drew out concepts particularly in Endo (my least favorite system) and sealed my understanding. I results went from the 50s to the 90s...and that was not me memorizing the questions either. Just becoming more confident in trusting my first instinct.
-I read BB3 at least 5 times.
- Took the ACP Board review course
- Major part of studying successfully is getting rid of the negative self talk; maintaining clear vision of your success. I was an athlete so i prepared for this exam the way I would prepare for my professional meets. Visualize winning at the finish line.
- Took time to take care of myself...so get massages at the spa. Go to the ocean and spent time nurturing myself. Not to be overlooked.

I gave myself a full year to study but I increased intensity as time went on. I created a schedule and stuck to it for the most part. I only took a month off of work to do what I come major intense studying...8 hrs a day, took breaks for lunch. Worked out every day. Figure out what works for you and stick to it. I did stay off of this website because I realized that sometimes reading the posts gave me anxiety and I would second guess my strategy...for example, wanting to get more resources etc. Had to really force myself to stick with MKSAP; it was most representative of the exam. I wish everyone the best in their sitting of this exam. You can conquer it!

Reactions: 3 users
Got my score in the mail today. A fairy comfortable pass. Not the utter destruction I hoped for but I'll take it.

I had a big jump in Cards/GI/Pulm/Gen Med which confirms my theory that certain subjects carry more weight. Whether it's because of the volume of questions per subject or the subjects do carry more weight per topic is up for debate.

Closing thoughts, this exam is a pain in the A$$ but with the right strategy (see my earlier post) and dedication this beast can be slain.

Happy hunting!

Failed three times before. Took a year off in between. Passed this year!!!!!! Key factor: No life stress or drama in my life. It doesn't matter how smart one is, if there is major distractions, this affects your performance. I am a living witness. ABIM requires complete dedication to the task. I would recommend sticking to one source. I used MKSAP 16 Digital. Only read the text if I needed clarification. I did not buy the books because over the years of studying realize that I am not the type to read the texts necessarily. I need to put things in context.
- I Did MKSAP 16 questions at least 5 times...all of the questions. Went over what I was getting wrong. Went back to my Robbins pathophys books if i needed to, even used some animated youtube videos to help drive basic concepts or remind me of basic concepts. Literally had lots of fun studying because i was stress free and drew out concepts particularly in Endo (my least favorite system) and sealed my understanding. I results went from the 50s to the 90s...and that was not me memorizing the questions either. Just becoming more confident in trusting my first instinct.
-I read BB3 at least 5 times.
- Took the ACP Board review course
- Major part of studying successfully is getting rid of the negative self talk; maintaining clear vision of your success. I was an athlete so i prepared for this exam the way I would prepare for my professional meets. Visualize winning at the finish line.
- Took time to take care of myself...so get massages at the spa. Go to the ocean and spent time nurturing myself. Not to be overlooked.

I gave myself a full year to study but I increased intensity as time went on. I created a schedule and stuck to it for the most part. I only took a month off of work to do what I come major intense studying...8 hrs a day, took breaks for lunch. Worked out every day. Figure out what works for you and stick to it. I did stay off of this website because I realized that sometimes reading the posts gave me anxiety and I would second guess my strategy...for example, wanting to get more resources etc. Had to really force myself to stick with MKSAP; it was most representative of the exam. I wish everyone the best in their sitting of this exam. You can conquer it!

Congratulations!

No score report for me yet...

Just finished MOC Hospitalist Exam today.

I thought I was in for a brutal exam experience reading the pre-test ABIM website: 4 sections of 70 questions totalling 10 hours.

Turned out to be 4 sections of 55 questions each. A lot of the questions were familiar from the ACP board review course.

Questions straightforward and fair I thought. Not much minutia. Not many xrays, EKGS, or slides.

Did other people find the same situation? I was expecting detailed MKSAP stumpers but got simple ones.

No score report for me yet...
Me neither. Just got off the phone w/ ABIM. Lady said that "we are in the process of still sending them out, so if you haven't received your scores by Friday, call again". Not sure if I should waste my time. I guess it will show up in the mail when it does. :bucktooth:

Didn't get mine yet either. I called ABIM today and they said they would send it out today.

Finally got my score report. In the same decile/percentile as all my ITEs. My PD had said that you can usually draw a straight line through your MLE, ITE and ABIM scores/centiles.

1st time test taker pass rate = 87%