Official ABIM 2014 thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@Circa Have not heard anything about the ACP course. Everyone here seems to love Awesome Review. If you learn anything more about ACP, would love if you could share it with us!

@love2014 I have not been taking notes with the questions though I've been saving the PDFs from the Knowmedge qbank. I know you said you wasted a lot of time taking notes.... but do you think that's a helpful strategy?

Update from me: Decent week for me last week. Finished Infectious Disease - both MKSAP book and Knowmedge questions. As I suspected, not a subject I enjoy but I'm glad to be done with my first round of it. Averaged 54% on the Knowmedge questions... ouch! Will definitely have to review.

I'm now through Cards, Endo, Gastro, ID. On to Gen Int Med now...

Members don't see this ad.

@CorlSt I don't think taking extensive notes was a good idea - it took too much time to type up notes instead of retaining info. I'm proud of your ID completion! My new tactic is working well for me - MKSAP questions alone were too unorganized so I'm reading Medstudy, then doing MKSAP questions when I get ADHD-like and cannot read. :) My attendings highly recommended using this method. Cheers!

My goal this week: finish Medstudy (IM/Derm/Neuro) book, Finish MKSAP questions on IM/Derm/Neuro and get started on Endo/ID!

I like this weekly update thing :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,
I just took boards last year. I agree with most people here.
--Stick to one main resource- I used MKSAP questions and made sure that I read the corresponding text when I missed a question. Also I did all questions that I missed at least twice or more. I also did not take extensive notes- but if I missed a question and learned something new, I would write it down so I can review all of those key points in another way too. I agree with the other poster that said that over 70% on MKSAP questions is probably fine.
--Pick a live course if you can afford it. I don't know too much about Awesome review but have heard that ACP courses are canned lectures that the lecturer didn't prepare so it can be hit or miss. I went to the Mayo Clinic course last year and loved it. Would highly recommend it. It is really board focused and high-yield and not so long that I drone out and stop paying attention. The teachers are really good and all do summary points which helped to hammer things home for me. The one downside is the location, Rochester isn't the most exciting place, but it was actually a good thing for me- no distractions and convenient to get to.

Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
@DrSeattle - Go Seahawks!! :)
@love2014 - Thank you so much! Was definitely happy to get through ID. Glad to see you're progressing along well! :) Are you planning on taking a live course? I'm still not sure if I'll be doing it.

Update: I wrapped up General IM but it took me two weeks to do. Finally got through MKSAP on Saturday and just completed the Knowmedge questions. Definitely need to start picking it up... can't believe it's almost April already! Will be working on Oncology and Hematology this week.

@<3doc - That's very helpful advice....thank you!!

Hi all, I've been doing MKSAP ?s and the PassMachine online review. Overall, the PassMachine is great. I was totally skeptical about paying that much money for the online materials, but what I have noticed is that the lectures are really focused on key information. There is no erroneous info that you don't need to know regarding the boards which is really saving me a lot of time. Also, I like the MCQ format where they ask a board style question and then explain the topic further. The practice tests questions are also very good. I think this is a good resource for people who don't have a lot of time. There are 25 lectures about 1-1.5hrs long each. I've done about a third of them already and noticed that you can even speed up the rate at which it plays to get through it quicker if you have decent knowledge of that subject material already. Overall, I am very glad I decided to get the PassMachine. I will be starting fellowship July 1st so there isn't much time to study as I will be busy with fellowship and feel that this is the way to go. I am still doing MKSAP questions and was taking notes but stopped about a week ago because it was taking too long and the PassMachine is really reinforcing the material. Oh yea if anyone wants to get a $52 discount for Passmachine just PM me. Good luck studying!

@CorlSt - Yeah time is flying by! I am doing ACP live course near my city bc I just can't afford $1500 + live course in NY area; I just need a motivation (the course is in June and I'm trying to finish at least 1x through MKSAP and Medstudy, BB3 books by then) plus a recap - I heard ACP is a hit or miss. I hope it's definitely not a miss bc I spent $500 on it. I'm going to finish up Endo by this wkend, and start ID (both rotations are coming up in the next month :)

hey guys, new to the thread here. I'm not sure if it's been covered, but does anyone have experience with MedStudy Flash cards?

I also kind of like the "slow feed/passive" study methods. Like using twitter feeds, because if you start early, then you can really get some knowledge at a reasonable rate. And it couldn't hurt to just browse these things like when standing in the elevator.

I saw you mentioned @knowmedge. Do you have any other ones, because they're popping up all over the place and I don't know who's who. I used @USMLE_CKHints and @USMLEStep3Hints, and those were good in med school. I saw some of them also linked to @postcallpager ? Anyone know about that/those?

THANKS!!!

STUDY ON!!

@love2014 I got BB3 as well recently.... seems much more high-yield and to the point than MKSAP. I know what you mean about the cost of these live courses...it's crazy! That, along with trying to take a week off is my hesitation. Right now, I'm leaning towards sticking with MKSAP, BB3, and Knowmedge but I'll make a decision soon.

@wyclefjaundice - I like "studying" passively as well through twitter. I'm not big into social media and don't tweet but I do follow a few accounts - @knowmedge is really good for ABIM prep. Their sunday quiz show is actually a fun way to study. I also follow @USMLE_CKHints @USMLEStep3Hints @usmlethree @UsmleAid.

Umm... not really sure why all the 'Eye's gets changed to "Me"... strange!

Does anyone have thoughts about the ACP board review course vs the Awesome Board Review Course? I have not read much about the ACP course on the forum and am wondering if it is not as good as the Awesome course. Thanks!

hands down, awesome review….the ACP ones are crap…they are essentially the hospital specific board review course with the ACP logo slapped on it.

if you are looking for a board exam centric review…its awesome review.

if you want something that has some real world relevance as well, the cleveland clinic board review is good
…and yes, I was a bit OCD and took all three…took the awesome review one twice because i had the time and he goes SOOOO fast at times that taking it a second time allowed me to absorb a bit better.

hi guys, trying to go through the studying as well. Currently using MKSAP, pass machine, and knowmedge. Saw a lot of people talking about the awesome review. People in my program said it was great as well. Anyone know if awesome review is better than pass machine? Trying to save money where I can, but want to pass on the first shot too haha. Any help on pass machine vs. awesome review would be appreciated! Thanks!

Question:
I am been doing MKSAP GI and there are tons of questions regarding EGD and colonoscpy intervals, I think it might be useful to review it
Thank you,

Please list Disease and duration of colonoscopy/EGD screening

1)Barrett's esophagus (nondysplastic) - 1st yr after diagnosis and then every 3 years
2)1st degree Colon Ca - 10 yrs before the age of 1st degree relative diagnosed or age of 40 (whichever one is earlier)
3) Routine screening - after age 50 every 10 years
4)
5)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everybody,

With ABIM 2013 over, eyes are set on ABIM 2014.

Hope everyone's have started their preps for the exam.

Registration opens Dec 1st, 2013.
  • Internal Medicine Certification Exam: December 1 – February 1
  • Late Registration Period: February 2 – March 1
http://www.abim.org/exam/all-other-cert-exam-schedule.aspx

Exam Fees*
  • Internal Medicine Certification Exam: $1,365
  • Non-refundable Late Registration fee: $400

Lets start this thread to help each other tame this mighty Hungarian Horntail!

Please give your input on:
1. Prep material.
2. Board Review Course likely to attend.
3. Review question bank.
4. High yield topics.
5. Any tips which may be beneficial for 1st time takers?
6. Previous test takers: Ur experience and suggestions.

Lets get our wands ready, shall we?:)
hun2.gif

anybody taking the abim recert . my exam coming up may 19 . 1st time recert and so scared :(

Fell behind.
Have gotten through MKSAP16 books for: Cardiology, Rheum, Renal. Cracked open GI the other day. Tons more to do, committed to finishing the books before fellowship starts.
Seems about that time to start the Question Bank this week.

for what its worth, IMO this test is not a good representation of what you see on MKSAP type questions which are too "internal medicine" if that is such a thing

Hello All -

Been a while since I posted. Things are going fairly well... Done with most of the major sections - still need to do Nephrology. Definitely like BB3 way more than MKSAP - more high-yield. I have also been practicing Knowmedge questions as I go along. Really liking the ability to save the PDFs, I've referenced them many times as I jump back to other sections and practice questions at random. I will probably go through these questions one more time (my average right now is only 58%) and may also get another qbank... probably MKSAP.

Hope everyone is doing well.... keep it up - we'll get through this! :)

I am looking for a study partner as well. I live in the Washington DC area but am open to skyping or something similar if that works for you. Thanks!
I am looking for a study partner as well. I live in the Washington DC area but am open to skyping or something similar if that works for you. Thanks!

Yes- I am prepping for the Focused Practice of Hospital medicine. Just joined. How to get in touch- test next week so not sure if this will help

Recently started USMLE World and am finding it very difficult. Averaging a bit over 50% on UW and ~70% on MKSAP....anyone else having similar experiences?

Recently started USMLE World and am finding it very difficult. Averaging a bit over 50% on UW and ~70% on MKSAP....anyone else having similar experiences?

yep, same with me. i am taking my exam next week and wish i had never bought the usmle qbank. it is decreasing my comfidence at this point because i am not getting the questions right..... and i've been studuing for this test for the past 8 months

Does anyone have thoughts about the ACP board review course vs the Awesome Board Review Course? I have not read much about the ACP course on the forum and am wondering if it is not as good as the Awesome course. Thanks!
I liked Awesome. Dr. Rahman talks fast as anything, but he's effective.

For those who wanna learn a little bit slower, but consistent.
I dunno if this helps at all, but I found this guy's website, where he/she posts ABIM material in a question (like in the morning), and then posts the answer (in the evening).

I guess it's similar to knowmedge's twitter feed, but it's scheduled.

https://sites.google.com/site/postcallpager/daily-board-questions

Thanks!!

I think the Knowmedge questions are scheduled as well. Every day they seem to post at 9am PST and 4pm PST. The Sunday quiz they have happens at 9am PST. (Wish they would move it to later in the day... only day I can sleep in!)

By the way, if you haven't seen it... here are a bunch of questions they've made available: http://quizlet.com/Knowmedge

@DrDaveTx I've been using Knowmedge and almost done with my first round of all their questions. Thinking about practicing more questions... would you recommend UW or MKSAP?

It's already May...3 months to go! Anxious now and at the same time... want to get this over with!

Hello All,

I am EXTREMELY behind in starting my prep for the boards. Currently trying to decide on a review course and was thinking about trying Pass Machine---> for no other reason than that it falls within time when Im already on vacation. Im wondering if anyone has attended this review or knows anyone that has attended this review? It's a bit more expensive that others that I have been looking at and I want to make sure that its worth it? I hear great things about the Awesome Review.....any others besides that one that people recommend? Any other study tips to catch up and get in the game at this point?
Thanks!!! :)

That is about standard

I'm averaging around 75% on MKSAP. I plan on starting UW soon. From the past forums most people average around 60% on UW

That is about standard

I'm averaging around 75% on MKSAP. I plan on starting UW soon. From the past forums most people average around 60% on UW

Yea, I'd be thrilled with 75% or even 65%! I'm right now averaging just under 60% on the Knowmedge questions.

That is about standard

ok, feel better now. taking the test this monday. yikes! 3 more days left :(
will let you guys know how it went

Hi guys, I REALLY need help and advice :/
I failed the ABIM 3 times already .. and I'm looking for the best advice ( Materials and courses)
1- Which is the best live course do you recommend?
  • Medstudy
  • iMedicine review
  • Awesome Review
  • Unique course
  • Kaplan
  • UCSF course
  • Cleveland course
  • Mayo Clinic Course
  • Harvard?
  • ACP live course ?
I'm really desperate and looking for the best help (P.S, I live and practice overseas)

Thank you

Awesome review seems the best. I have taken medstudy and comparing both this is definitely a better option.

@Desperate_ Hang in there! Your perseverance will pay off! I'm not going to be able to get to a course myself but it seems most everyone loves Dr. Rahman's Awesome Review. I hadn't heard of iMedicine Review before but got an email from Knowmedge about a discount for that course... no idea how good it is though.

I just got done with my first review of all the subjects using MKSAP, BB3, and the Knowmedge qbank. Will go through the Knowmedge questions and slides again and start practicing the MKSAP questions now. Fingers crossed now... just a little over 2 months left!

T
@Desperate_ Hang in there! Your perseverance will pay off! I'm not going to be able to get to a course myself but it seems most everyone loves Dr. Rahman's Awesome Review. I hadn't heard of iMedicine Review before but got an email from Knowmedge about a discount for that course... no idea how good it is though.

I just got done with my first review of all the subjects using MKSAP, BB3, and the Knowmedge qbank. Will go through the Knowmedge questions and slides again and start practicing the MKSAP questions now. Fingers crossed now... just a little over 2 months left!

Thank you so much for you support ..

The BEST of luck

I would definitely recommend Awesome board review! I took ACP in 2012 and failed the exam. They did not prepare me at all....it pretty much sucked. I took the exam last year and decided to go to Awesome Board Review because my friend raved about the course. I passed the exam. I'm not saying that going to the course will guarantee a pass but I felt more prepared after that course than I did with ACP. After the ACP course, I did not feel like concepts were solidified. If I had a pick a review course, I would highly recommend Awesome Board Review! If you take this course, make sure you read the material a couple of times prior to the course because he goes through the material really fast. Also, I read Board Basics 5-6 times! I thought this book was amazing! Good Luck everyone....You can do it!

My program will only pay for either the CD version of MKSAP or the print version. Which is better? Do both give you access to the online questions?

My program will only pay for either the CD version of MKSAP or the print version. Which is better? Do both give you access to the online questions?
Get the CD. It gives you the online Q Bank which is, quite frankly, all you really need from MKSAP.

PS...merging this with the ABIM 2014 thread.

I would definitely recommend Awesome board review! I took ACP in 2012 and failed the exam. They did not prepare me at all....it pretty much sucked. I took the exam last year and decided to go to Awesome Board Review because my friend raved about the course. I passed the exam. I'm not saying that going to the course will guarantee a pass but I felt more prepared after that course than I did with ACP. After the ACP course, I did not feel like concepts were solidified. If I had a pick a review course, I would highly recommend Awesome Board Review! If you take this course, make sure you read the material a couple of times prior to the course because he goes through the material really fast. Also, I read Board Basics 5-6 times! I thought this book was amazing! Good Luck everyone....You can do it!

i will definitely take the Awesome Review if I find out I didnt pass my May Recert exam. I couldnt travel to the review course this time around due to scheduling conflicts, but i watched some of his free YouTube videos 2 weeks before my exam. let me tell you...i answered at least 5 questions on my exam with lightening speed because of his mnemonics/concepts/charts . i agree that he has a way of presenting high yield material that just sticks to your brain.

meanwhile, just being tortured sitting and waiting for results... not sure how long it takes... but been checking abim website everyday... wish they could speed up this process.. so cruel to make us wait like this. i am afraid i will miss the deadline for taking the Fall exam if i dont get my results in time.:(

Just took the ABIM MOC last month. Much harder than I expected, and I had no trouble with initial ABIM exam or any of the USMLEs years ago.

Does anyone know how many out of 180 you need to get right to pass? is more weight given to say a cardiology question than a statistics question? Really worried I may have to take this again.

Just took the ABIM MOC last month. Much harder than I expected, and I had no trouble with initial ABIM exam or any of the USMLEs years ago.

Does anyone know how many out of 180 you need to get right to pass? is more weight given to say a cardiology question than a statistics question? Really worried I may have to take this again.

Congratulations getting through the process. I certainly know how you feel as I took the MOC last month as well. I also thought it was more complex than expected. Getting more anxious about receiving scores as time ticks away.
In answer to your question, I found this website that states: "115 to 120 correct answers if you're taking one of the Recertification Exams) or, in other words, approximately 66% of the questions on the exam correct to pass. It is important to note that the ABIM Exams are not scaled, and the score that you receive on each exam is based solely on your raw score and not any other factors."

Here is the link to the website
http://www.testscorehelp.com/abim-exam-tips.html

Last edited:
Congratulations getting through the process. I certainly know how you feel as I took the MOC last month as well. I also thought it was more complex than expected. Getting more anxious about receiving scores as time ticks away. Nightmares of opening the letter and seeing "fail" are appearing now. Not sure how you have been coping , but I am uncertain whether I should begin studying again...feel like I am losing my study momentum. But the thought of cracking open the medstudy books again and studying before knowing my score is nauseating.

In answer to your question, I found this website that states: "115 to 120 correct answers if you're taking one of the Recertification Exams) or, in other words, approximately 66% of the questions on the exam correct to pass. It is important to note that the ABIM Exams are not scaled, and the score that you receive on each exam is based solely on your raw score and not any other factors."

Here is the link to the website
http://www.testscorehelp.com/abim-exam-tips.html

Thanks. so 20 something % can't get 2/3 right. Hard to believe.

I just wish I'd have the results already. It was just such a shock to have trouble with an exam. I breezed through the initial certification exam. I Guess it was part assuming it was easy, and then once I found the first few questions hard and tricky I assumed they all were. I actually remember a lot of the questions and realize I read too much into a lot of questions. Threw away some easy ones b/c I got flustered. Hopefully on some they will accept 2 answers :)

Coping? I think about it this way....The seating for October doesn't close until mid August. Assuming a fail (and probably will come in July- supposedly an email will direct us to log in to the ABIM site just for the pass fail result) we are still board certified and can simply do it again in October. Not that I want a fail on my record, but I think just by taking it last month I now know what and how to study and should be better come Oct. I like my job and they like me so I'm not losing it anytime soon. I think this is just more of hit to the ego than anything else. I've never been sued, haven't killed anyone yet, so I don't question my abilities.

I used MKSAP but I now realize it may be too "scholarly" for the boards. Maybe a flashcard system would be better. I also now (I'm assuming a "fail") got a CD from a friend who gives the GIM part of the ACP course which I've been told are very hit and miss. Will just review the basic stuff again, go in more relaxed and keep it simple.

Hope that you all did well and do not have to sit for this humiliating test. In case you do not pass do not pay them more money for re-score.

you have to pay additional $250 for re-score and will get a generic response in 8 weeks (which will be past the deadline to register for next test). ABIM sends a generic response that they never make a mistake!! :

".....ABIM is entirely satisfied that there was no error in scoring your examination. The scoring process is a meticulous one. A rigorous set of quality control steps are carried out on every examination. Before final scores are approved, the reliability, validity, and fairness of the examinations are verified by the ABIM. ABIM will not release results until it is satisfied that a reliable instrument has been administered and data are accurate. .....” blah blah ...

More than 1300 doctors did not pass the test in Oct 2013, that means they can get about $325000 more for so called re-score.

Last edited:
Hope that you all did well and do not have to sit for this humiliating test. In case you do not pass do not pay them more money for re-score.

you have to pay additional $250 for re-score and will get a generic response in 8 weeks (which will be past the deadline to register for next test). ABIM sends a generic response that they never make a mistake!! :

".....ABIM is entirely satisfied that there was no error in scoring your examination. The scoring process is a meticulous one. A rigorous set of quality control steps are carried out on every examination. Before final scores are approved, the reliability, validity, and fairness of the examinations are verified by the ABIM. ABIM will not release results until it is satisfied that a reliable instrument has been administered and data are accurate. .....” blah blah ...

More than 1300 doctors did not pass the test in Oct 2013, that means they can get about $325000 more for so called re-score.

join anti-MOC physicians a:

http://www.changeboardrecert.com/

and visit Dr Paul Kempen's blog:

http://paulmdphd.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the advice.

I'm wondering why it takes so long to score this test. With today's modern technology and a multitude of software programs, you would think the score of pass/fail would be immediate. You either passed or you didn't based on a pretest scoring system. Whats there to sort through? I am hopeful they are being nice and looking at each score to see if they can pass people right on the border (given all the controversy recently with the Abim cert/recert process). Ah..maybe just wishful thinking. I can tell you one thing....I will never ever take this this again (in 10 years). I'd rather change careers. Unfortunately, at this point, I have to pass by the end of the year, otherwise I will lose my job.
Can't wait to get my life back. I can't even plan summer vacation with family until I get results back.

Thanks for the advice.

I'm wondering why it takes so long to score this test. With today's modern technology and a multitude of software programs, you would think the score of pass/fail would be immediate. You either passed or you didn't based on a pretest scoring system. Whats there to sort through? I am hopeful they are being nice and looking at each score to see if they can pass people right on the border (given all the controversy recently with the Abim cert/recert process). Ah..maybe just wishful thinking. I can tell you one thing....I will never ever take this this again (in 10 years). I'd rather change careers. Unfortunately, at this point, I have to pass by the end of the year, otherwise I will lose my job.
Can't wait to get my life back. I can't even plan summer vacation with family until I get results back.

I hear ya.

I think it's about throwing out questions and comparing versions. In all honesty I remember one or 2 which really seemed not to make clinical sense and and what they were asking didn't make (grammar wise.) I really was baffled by a lot of it and that really through me off my game. Even if a question not experimental but 90% of folks get it wrong, well then there is a problem with the question. I wonder a few things about this exam.... 1) if they do throw a question out, do the folks who got it right get penalized and lose a correct answer? 2) There are different versions of the test (maybe not all 180, but certainly some) so is it possible to pass with 117 correct and fail with 118 correct on the other version? 3) Why not give us the actual answers to the questions afterwards? if this is supposed to be about learning, I'd like to learn from my mistakes. However, they'd rather keep everything hush hush to protect their secret little test. I don't like the breakdown by subject because there is so much crossover. is SBE considered and ID or Cardiology question?

I also wonder (even though they say no) if some questions count more than others. I can't imagine missing a dumb statistics question is as important to them as a STEMI. But what do I know. They tried to throw me off my game- it worked. They won this round. I'm sure I lost. Hope they are happy. Nothing like pissing off the one specialty they need more of.

I told my kids if they go into medicine I'll hunt them down....

in 2013 one needed 70-71% on the initial ABIM to pass. is the MOC exam the same? Much rather it would be closer to 65%. Also, I know they say "based on raw score on the entire exam" but I'm guessing that's BS. They must weigh some questions more than others.

Fell behind.
Have gotten through MKSAP16 books for: Cardiology, Rheum, Renal. Cracked open GI the other day. Tons more to do, committed to finishing the books before fellowship starts.
Seems about that time to start the Question Bank this week.
i will definitely take the Awesome Review if I find out I didnt pass my May Recert exam. I couldnt travel to the review course this time around due to scheduling conflicts, but i watched some of his free YouTube videos 2 weeks before my exam. let me tell you...i answered at least 5 questions on my exam with lightening speed because of his mnemonics/concepts/charts . i agree that he has a way of presenting high yield material that just sticks to your brain.

meanwhile, just being tortured sitting and waiting for results... not sure how long it takes... but been checking abim website everyday... wish they could speed up this process.. so cruel to make us wait like this. i am afraid i will miss the deadline for taking the Fall exam if i dont get my results in time.:(
Hi I am taking The ABIM board this Sept 2014 need help ,can you sell awesome review book as I cannot go for the course ,with kids being out for summer in day care . I am doing MKSAP books now.

Hi I am taking The ABIM board this Sept 2014 need help ,can you sell awesome review book as I cannot go for the course ,with kids being out for summer in day care . I am doing MKSAP books now.

I don't think the books are available for sale. I have wondered in the past myself. I believe they are not helpful unless you go to the class.

Isn't the ABIM Initial Cert in August ?

Anyone with any updates about the recent MOC exam? With the pass rate dropping on MOC exam and needing 70% on the initial cert to pass, I can't believe the 115-120 needed to pass is correct anymore. And considering I threw away some easy ones which are probably weighted more I think I'm screwed.