*~*~* Official AACOMAS Questions Thread 2016-2017 *~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
LORs aren't mandatory with the primary app, so you can wait a little longer on those.

Technically, there's no point in submitting an app without an MCAT because schools won't look at your app anyway without it. Instead, to save time, submit your app to a throwaway to get it verified. Then, you can immediately submit to your actual schools of interest once your MCAT score is available.

Even if you submit to one program and not the others, it will automatically lock your app and I would only be able to add new info correct?

Members don't see this ad.

That's specific for LECOM. I don't think any other school does anything like that.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Yeah that's why I am figuring out. I thought maybe 1 or 2 other schools but I guess LECOM is the only one I can find. Did you apply to LECOM?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any suggestion on a school like that? I was advised to do a "throwaway" school to get verified first because I haven't taken the MCAT yet (June) and i want to incorporate this cutoff idea as well. I don't know what school to choose...

In my opinion LUCOM would be a good throwaway

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah that's why I am figuring out. I thought maybe 1 or 2 other schools but I guess LECOM is the only one I can find. Did you apply to LECOM?

Once I take my MCAT I plan on including them on my list of schools I will apply to.

Hey guys need some help

So I spoke with a AACOMAS Rep today regarding grade replacement for classes that have different credits.

I'm debating retaking a statistics class at my school that originally was for 4 credits. I checked and now it is only available as a 3 credit course (Same prefix, code, etc).

The rep said as long as its the same school, prefix and course number they will accept it as grade replacement.

Has anyone had a similar scenario? I don't want to get my application put on hold because of miscommunication.

The rep said as long as its the same school, prefix and course number they will accept it as grade replacement.

Can anyone else comment on this? Historically, classes retaken at other institutions also count for a retake as long as the retake has the equal number or more credits than the original course. Has this changed this cycle?!

If so, this is going to destroy grade replacement for a lot of people...

Can anyone else comment on this? Historically, classes retaken at other institutions also count for a retake as long as the retake has the equal number or more credits than the original course. Has this changed this cycle?!

If so, this is going to destroy grade replacement for a lot of people...

Depends bud what's the classes ?

Depends bud what's the classes ?

Guess I freaked out before checking out AACOMAS' instructions. Basically courses taken at other institutions are still valid.

1463099841753.jpg

Question:
1/ Is medical technologist considered Healthcare experience?? We work in a hospital lab but with no or little patient contact. I'm so confused.

Question:
1/ Is medical technologist considered Healthcare experience?? We work in a hospital lab but with no or little patient contact. I'm so confused.
I put it under healthcare experience

Does a computer generate the AACOMAS GPA's based on the course prefix/code or does some poor fellow who gets paid $12/hr picks science/non-science classes to go to their respective GPA's for each person. I would assume a computer right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

For those who opened an application last cycle just to see what an app looked like and got listed as a "Reapplicant" by AACOMAS., this is what they said with regards to how to deal with this issue:

"Thank you for contacting AACOMAS. You're listed as a re-applicant through
AACOMAS because you created an application before, you can contact the programs
you're applying to and let them know this but it shouldn't be a big deal as you
never submitted the application."

From my interpretation, your reapplicant status might be specific to the schools you apply to and not the AACOMAS DO school application cycle. What are your guys' thoughts?

Reactions: 1 users
Does a computer generate the AACOMAS GPA's based on the course prefix/code or does some poor fellow who gets paid $12/hr picks science/non-science classes to go to their respective GPA's for each person. I would assume a computer right?
When you enter your courses, it has you put in the course that it is from a drop down menu. I think they use that to calculate your GPA

Hey everyone,

For those who opened an application last cycle just to see what an app looked like and got listed as a "Reapplicant" by AACOMAS., this is what they said with regards to how to deal with this issue:

From my interpretation, your reapplicant status might be specific to the schools you apply to and not the AACOMAS DO school application cycle. What are your guys' thoughts?

Wow that is ridiculous. So we are supposed to just drop a "hey this is my first time applying" in an email? To every single school?

Hey everyone,

I agree. I think as long as you didn't apply to any schools last cycle (and just created an account out of curiosity), you would be still considered a first time applicant.

Do we need to put in a supervisor for organizations? Like for my baseball club and AMSA organization, we had a different president every year, so I didn't technically have a single supervisor you know?

Hi,
I am working on my AACOMAS app and have a question - Under "program materials," it says that I have to list prerequesites for each school I indicated I was applying to. For these prereqs, should we enter every course we ever took within the subject (Ex: I could enter my graduate school classes in Molecular Bio? or would I just enter Bio I and II from undergrad?). I'm just a bit confused about this section. Like should I only enter the classes I did really well in? what is this used for?

Thank you to anyone who can help me!

Does AACOMAS count a B+ as 3.3? This is going to totally screw me. My school doesn't give out A-. B- etc. Nor do they use AB instead of B+. I'm full on freaking out right now.

Anyone finding it hard to input classes? Chrome and Firefox are dreadfully slow because of some script on the transcript entry / re-entry page, and it's making everything lag.

Also, if we did research for course credit (at my institution, it's "Directed Studies"), what would that be classified under? I'm leaning towards "Other Health Prof" under Other Sci, but I'm not sure.

Anyone in a similar situation?

I feel like I've seen this answer before but I can't seem to find it... I took a class at another institution other than my primary school and then retook it at my primary school. Will both grades be factored into my gpa? Because the retake I would think would take the most recent attempt at the class but the way that the professional transcript entry people put it into my application makes it look like two different classes and that would hurt my gpa..

how can some schools have a minimum of "12 credits" and minimum of "2 grades" listed on the section for program materials?

also same for this one "Minimum Credits 3" "Minimum Grades 2"....if my course is just 3 credits but 1 grade (i.e, biochem with a mark) then do a satisfy this?

I have a course I took in undergrad that was listed at my school as "CORE" and that's it. I'm stumped as to how I should list it. We basically learned about social sciences, psychology, biology, and it was kind of like an into into everything. The name was "The world at home" haha and it was required! So far I'm thinking of just saying "humanities"

Also, do you think a political psychology class can pass as a psych class even though it was through the poli sci department?

I feel like I've seen this answer before but I can't seem to find it... I took a class at another institution other than my primary school and then retook it at my primary school. Will both grades be factored into my gpa? Because the retake I would think would take the most recent attempt at the class but the way that the professional transcript entry people put it into my application makes it look like two different classes and that would hurt my gpa..

The website said
"While AACOMAS allows applicants to classify similar coursework from separate schools as repeated, the verification staff is not responsible for determining whether the content, course level, and credit hours are equivalent. AACOMAS staff can only correct incorrectly classified repeated coursework from the same school. "

So I THINK as long as you enter it as a repeat, it should be covered. How different are the names or course titles?

The website said
"While AACOMAS allows applicants to classify similar coursework from separate schools as repeated, the verification staff is not responsible for determining whether the content, course level, and credit hours are equivalent. AACOMAS staff can only correct incorrectly classified repeated coursework from the same school. "

So I THINK as long as you enter it as a repeat, it should be covered. How different are the names or course titles?

Surprisingly different... I emailed AACOMAS but my transcript is already in the verification process so I might be screwed.

What does it mean by a "throwaway"?

It's a way for people waiting on an MCAT score or some sort of other update to add to their application to send in their app to AACOMAS to get verified. Since that process usually takes a few weeks, sending in one app to a school you either wouldn't care to attend or won't screen you out initially is usually the idea to have a verified app that all you have to do is put in your MCAT and hit send to all the other schools once your MCAT is in. This is not to say that you have no chance of getting into your throwaway school but most people don't feel comfortable (with good reason) sending in an incomplete app to schools they really wish to get into (or any school they want to go to for that matter).

And I suggested LUCOM since I would probably rather take a year off and reapply than go there.

It's only the most recent retake that counts for your gpa, regardless of how many times and where you retook the course. I asked AACOMAS the same question last week, and that's what they told me.

Contact AACOMAS (email is probably better for this scenario) regarding the professional entry error, and they'll hopefully adjust it in your favor.

Would you guys really be reapplicants then rather than just taking a LMU acceptance?

Does AACOMAS count a B+ as 3.3? This is going to totally screw me. My school doesn't give out A-. B- etc. Nor do they use AB instead of B+. I'm full on freaking out right now.
As per AACOMAS' grading scale, yes. Does your school only give grades as X+ and X?

One of my schools only gave whole A, B, C (no + or -) grades, and it only counts as 4.0, 3.0, or 2.0 on AACOMAS for me. But, maybe you can try to confirm it with AACOMAS just in case a different scale may apply to you?

Would you guys really be reapplicants then rather than just taking a LMU acceptance?
LMUCOM and LUCOM are different, if youre wondering about LUCOM definitely search this forum for more info on them. LMU on the other hand i would 100% attend.

My mistake. I meant lucom. I've heard of their president being racist but not sure of the other reasons why not to choose this school. Anyone have any good links for why to NOT choose lucom? Also my schools only gives whole grades (a/b/c...) no +/-

LMUCOM and LUCOM are different, if youre wondering about LUCOM definitely search this forum for more info on them. LMU on the other hand i would 100% attend.

If you search through the forums on here you'll find an abundance of information on why people tend to stray away from LUCOM..

As per AACOMAS' grading scale, yes. Does your school only give grades as X+ and X?

One of my schools only gave whole A, B, C (no + or -) grades, and it only counts as 4.0, 3.0, or 2.0 on AACOMAS for me. But, maybe you can try to confirm it with AACOMAS just in case a different scale may apply to you?

It's a way for people waiting on an MCAT score or some sort of other update to add to their application to send in their app to AACOMAS to get verified. Since that process usually takes a few weeks, sending in one app to a school you either wouldn't care to attend or won't screen you out initially is usually the idea to have a verified app that all you have to do is put in your MCAT and hit send to all the other schools once your MCAT is in. This is not to say that you have no chance of getting into your throwaway school but most people don't feel comfortable (with good reason) sending in an incomplete app to schools they really wish to get into (or any school they want to go to for that matter).

And I suggested LUCOM since I would probably rather take a year off and reapply than go there.

To get verified is that when you submit your entire application with personal statement or is that when you submit transcripts?

After I submit my application can someone confirm that I can still add LOR's and that I can still make changes to my EC's?

After I submit my application can someone confirm that I can still add LOR's and that I can still make changes to my EC's?

Once you submit, you can't edit or delete EC's, but you can add them and update the schools. As for LOR's, you can still add them. I submitted last week so I'm checking this as I'm typing it. LOR's aren't technically due until you submit II's from my understanding..

Once you submit, you can't edit or delete EC's, but you can add them and update the schools. As for LOR's, you can still add them. I submitted last week so I'm checking this as I'm typing it. LOR's aren't technically due until you submit II's from my understanding..

so what do you mean by "update the schools." Like if I Shadow a DO next week and want to add this in my LOR then is that automatically updated to all schools or do I have to go through some update process?

To get verified is that when you submit your entire application with personal statement or is that when you submit transcripts?
Verification does not begin until you submit your primary, from what ive heard its a real pain in the a**. Can take up to 4 weeks.

so what do you mean by "update the schools." Like if I Shadow a DO next week and want to add this in my LOR then is that automatically updated to all schools or do I have to go through some update process?
EDIT: My apologies i totally misunderstood this, and then proceeded to ask the same question lol

Last edited:
Does anybody know what you have to do after you update your primary, after you've sent it. Should you email each school separately or does AACOMAS inform them you have updated?

EDIT: Seems i asked the same question as @pizza1994 my apologies.

does anyone know what the "continuing education" section is? Like I know you can update the EMT or CNA license but is that for students who have already taken the class and passed/gotten their license or is that for the individuals who are currently enrolled in the class?

Do we need to put in a supervisor for organizations? Like for my baseball club and AMSA organization, we had a different president every year, so I didn't technically have a single supervisor you know?

for my rowing club I just listed my University as the supervisor

does anyone know if it is a good idea to get a reference letter from both an MD and DO?

does anyone know if it is a good idea to get a reference letter from both an MD and DO?

As long as you have a DO letter, you are good. I'm starting to notice a lot of admissions site explicitly state a DO letter is highly preferred.

No longer allowing grade replacement from different institution. what I've been told.

Last edited:
for those of you who selected "MSUCOM" as your primary school when asked when you first started the application, does your start term say fall or summer? Mine says summer 2016... curious as to what everyone else has.

for those of you who selected "MSUCOM" as your primary school when asked when you first started the application, does your start term say fall or summer? Mine says summer 2016... curious as to what everyone else has.

what do you mean by selecting it as your "primary school"??