*~*~* Official AACOMAS Questions Thread 2013-2014 *~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What if I took the class at a junior college( made a c) retook at university( made an A). the numbers and prefix are different, can I still use grade replacement?

What if I took the class at a junior college( made a c) retook at university( made an A). the numbers and prefix are different, can I still use grade replacement?

As long as the classes are sufficiently similar (same subject/similar description), and the credits are equal to or greater than the one at the CC, you can use it as a replacement.

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as the classes are sufficiently similar (same subject/similar description), and the credits are equal to or greater than the one at the CC, you can use it as a replacement.

Thanks for clearing that up. They are the same class, chem 2 at local CC and chem 2 and local university so replacement should work.

I've come across another question. This one's a bit tricky. I've been thru 3 nursing programs ( LPN, RN, Rn-bsn) all 3 programs required fundamentals of nursing theory. each step up the class added more and more theory. Grade replacement or keep separate?

I've come across another question. This one's a bit tricky. I've been thru 3 nursing programs ( LPN, RN, Rn-bsn) all 3 programs required fundamentals of nursing theory. each step up the class added more and more theory. Grade replacement or keep separate?
AACOMAS instructions state that you should only list a class as a repeat if you retook the class for "academic improvement or grade change." If your most recent grade is substantially higher than the other two, you could probably get away with it, but I would avoid listing them as repeats.

Does AACOMAS want the DANTES/JST military transcript like AMCAS does? I can't find a mention of it anywhere or see a place to add it under education or military experience.

Does AACOMAS want the DANTES/JST military transcript like AMCAS does? I can't find a mention of it anywhere or see a place to add it under education or military experience.

Great question, I have been searching for an answer to this myself. I emailed AACOMAS support but haven't heard back yet. If I get an answer and no one else is able to enlighten us here on the forums, I will let you know what they say.

im going to be retaking the mcat again in july. if i submit my apps the first week of june and notify in my app im planning to retake, will schools look at my file after or before my retake? when will i be getting secondaries in my situation?

im going to be retaking the mcat again in july. if i submit my apps the first week of june and notify in my app im planning to retake, will schools look at my file after or before my retake? when will i be getting secondaries in my situation?

Each school does things differently, most will just wait until your score comes in, but some will screen you once your app is verified.

Secondaries also vary, some will come in once your app is verified (mid-late June), while others will take weeks.

How low is your first score? If its very low (below most cutoffs) then you may want to submit to just one school on June 1st, and then add the rest when your new scores are submitted to AACOMAS. This would prevent schools from screening you before your new score comes in. Either way, a lot of schools won't look at your app until the new score comes in. You should still work on (pre-write) the secondary prompts before you get them based on last year's prompts so that you have fast secondary turnaround.

Hey guys,
I heard that for MD schools, there is like a book that has every medical school with GPA range and MCAT range of people who got accepted to the school.
Is there such book for DO schools? Average helps but it would be great if I knew the range as well, for example, 25-29 or something like that

So, my school doesn't get its transcripts out until mid-June so I can have my spring grades currently on there. Can I not submit my primary until ACCOMAS gets my transcripts? Or maybe I can and thats the last thing they'd have to review before I'm verified making the process quicker?

I don't know where to add this but a couple of my friends and I have decided to start out own nursing agency, should I mention it on my app?

I may or may not take a class or two online classes for personal development during the fall. Should I list these as planned courses even though I have no idea if I'll go through with it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,
I heard that for MD schools, there is like a book that has every medical school with GPA range and MCAT range of people who got accepted to the school.
Is there such book for DO schools? Average helps but it would be great if I knew the range as well, for example, 25-29 or something like that
The 2014 Osteopathic Medical College Information Book (PDF download) is the DO equivalent to the MSAR, although the CIB doesn't list GPA/MCAT averages by school (only for all entering DO students on page 15). There are some older compilations of average GPA/MCAT by school floating around SDN. Otherwise, each school website usually lists the average GPA/MCAT for the last incoming class.

So, my school doesn't get its transcripts out until mid-June so I can have my spring grades currently on there. Can I not submit my primary until ACCOMAS gets my transcripts? Or maybe I can and thats the last thing they'd have to review before I'm verified making the process quicker?
Yep, you can't submit it until you get your transcripts that include the spring coursework. See page 6 of the AACOMAS instructions - bullet #3 under "Before You Apply." Don't worry though - you'll be plenty early submitting mid-June.

I don't know where to add this but a couple of my friends and I have decided to start out own nursing agency, should I mention it on my app?
If you have already started it and are doing things to help people, then yes, go ahead and list it. If you are just planning on starting it, don't list it. Only list things that you have actually done - not things you are hoping to do. If you haven't started it, you can add it later to your app once you've started it.

I may or may not take a class or two online classes for personal development during the fall. Should I list these as planned courses even though I have no idea if I'll go through with it?
If you registered for them and they show up on your transcript, there's no problem with listing them. I registered for an online astronomy course, listed it as planned on AACOMAS, and ended up dropping the course before I started. Didn't cause any problems.

question: I know we have to list all of the classes we will be taking before we matriculate. I'm in a masters program, so should I put in the courses I will be taking this coming fall and next spring since I know what I will be taking? I won't have a transcript until next Jan of course. How does that work with having to send in a transcript? They don't require one in that case, do they?

Thanks!

I know we have to list all of the classes we will be taking before we matriculate.
Nope, you don't have to do that. Schools aren't really concerned with your future coursework at this point. As long as you have the requirements completed by matriculation, they're happy.

Only list courses that you are planning on taking that show up on your transcript. For the vast majority of applicants, that means only next semester (Fall 2013). If your planned coursework doesn't show up on your transcript, AACOMAS will take it off.

Is there any point to the transcript request form on AACOMAS? Isn't it fine just to send them through your undergrad school to AACOMAS without any extra forms? Or am I missing something?
From the AACOMAS instructions:

"While not required, submitting this form with each transcript will expedite the processing of your application."

I read the AACOMAs doc, but wanted to clarify a few things:

is the "Prefix and Number" column what our course was called at our schools? for example BIO 101?

Does the course name have to match exactly what is written on the transcript? ( for example the class is called 'General Chemistry lab' but is written as "Genrl Chemistry Lab" on the transcript.

For Pass/no pass courses, what grades do we put down when we pass? a P? leave it blank?

I'm on the quarter system, so for semester grades I have to manually change a 4 unit class --> 2.7 semester hours? or let AACOMAS do it for me?

is the "Prefix and Number" column what our course was called at our schools? for example BIO 101?
Correct

Does the course name have to match exactly what is written on the transcript? ( for example the class is called 'General Chemistry lab' but is written as "Genrl Chemistry Lab" on the transcript.
Enter it as it appears on your transcript. Not sure if it's an absolute requirement, but that way you're guaranteed not to run into problems.

For Pass/no pass courses, what grades do we put down when we pass? a P? leave it blank?
There is an AACOMAS grade named "Pass."

I'm on the quarter system, so for semester grades I have to manually change a 4 unit class --> 2.7 semester hours? or let AACOMAS do it for me?
You have to do it. Enter everything as semester hours.

Do we need to list contact information within the description? I noticed there is no actual area to input this data unlike AMCAS. Or am I just missing something.

Thanks!
You don't need to. One of the secondaries I filled out last year asked for contact info for verifiable experiences, but otherwise it didn't seem like schools cared about contact info. Even the school that asked for contact info didn't verify my experiences, and I had some pretty outrageous hours (5000+) for some experiences. List it if you want, but it won't hurt you if you don't.

Great question, I have been searching for an answer to this myself. I emailed AACOMAS support but haven't heard back yet. If I get an answer and no one else is able to enlighten us here on the forums, I will let you know what they say.

AACOMAS support replied to me and said that yes, you do need to send in the JST transcript even if you haven't ever converted it over to college credits. I was Army, so I put the "college" as AARTS, which AACOMAS does have an entry for.

On another note, I submitted my MCAT scores May 2nd and haven't seen any reception yet. They said they haven't received them and that I should go ahead and resubmit. So if any of you still haven't seen any verification of MCATs, it might be a good idea to just resubmit them.

Probably a stupid question, but my school uses long prefixes that don't fit in the box, as long as I'm consistent with my shortening them, it should be fine, right?

I read all the questions on here to make sure I'm not asking the same stuff...let's hope I'm not...here goes:

1) If I volunteered at an annual holiday food drive (about 20 hours per year for a few years) do I list 0 hours for "average per week" and then just add up the total for the overall...i.e. 60hrs for 3yrs?

2) Where do I add my Pharmacy Tech license, and CPR/First Aid cert info? I read conflicting suggestions from old threads.

3) Can I list these below or skip them?

Member of Genetics Society of America
AMSA
Notary Public State of Illinois (not related I know but it was from my old job)
PADI Open Water Diver Certification (yet again so not related, skip or list?)
Member of Psi Beta Honors Society for Psychology
Licensed Pharmacy Technician

4) Need advice- I'm taking MCAT for the first time in August and I know I will be late in the cycle. Do I submit to only 1 school in case I score low, or should I just go for it and submit to multiple since it will be so late in the cycle and worst case have to re-apply next year if I need to retake?

BTW- my overall gpa came out much higher than the one from the sdn spreadsheet, science was right on. I double checked everything and I wasn't sure what the problem was...is anyone else seeing this?

Probably a stupid question, but my school uses long prefixes that don't fit in the box, as long as I'm consistent with my shortening them, it should be fine, right?
Yeah that should be fine. :thumbup:

1) If I volunteered at an annual holiday food drive (about 20 hours per year for a few years) do I list 0 hours for "average per week" and then just add up the total for the overall...i.e. 60hrs for 3yrs?
That sounds like a good plan to me. Entering the hours are optional, so you can leave one blank if it makes more sense to just put total hours.

2) Where do I add my Pharmacy Tech license, and CPR/First Aid cert info? I read conflicting suggestions from old threads.
Do you have work or EC experience as a pharm tech? If so, no need to list the license. If not, you can make an EC category called "Certifications Held" or something like that. Personally, I don't think it's worth listing CPR/First Aid, but you certainly can if you want (especially if you already have an EC category for certifications).

3) Can I list these below or skip them?

Member of Genetics Society of America
AMSA
Notary Public State of Illinois (not related I know but it was from my old job)
PADI Open Water Diver Certification (yet again so not related, skip or list?)
Member of Psi Beta Honors Society for Psychology
Licensed Pharmacy Technician
List it if you feel it's important and you think it will make you look better as a med school applicant. My two cents - skip the notary and diving cert.

4) Need advice- I'm taking MCAT for the first time in August and I know I will be late in the cycle. Do I submit to only 1 school in case I score low, or should I just go for it and submit to multiple since it will be so late in the cycle and worst case have to re-apply next year if I need to retake?
That's totally up to you. The general recommendation is to submit to one school that you don't want to attend so that if you do score low, you can pull out of this cycle without actually applying to the schools you're interested in. This is probably the best option because there's a lot less pressure on you to perform well on the MCAT. If you're really gung-ho about this cycle and you are scoring well on AAMC FLs, you can submit your app to all of your schools before the MCAT.

BTW- my overall gpa came out much higher than the one from the sdn spreadsheet, science was right on. I double checked everything and I wasn't sure what the problem was...is anyone else seeing this?
Other people have been reporting this as well. The best way to calculate your GPA is just to do it manually.

I have attended 2 different universities over my the last ten years. When I input the my grades from my current university it's AACOMAS is registering my gpa at a 3.45

I recently got the transcript from the school I attended 5+ years ago where I didn't do well at all and when I entered it into the application it brought my overall gpa WAY down.

Not sure if schools will look at the current school where I'm doing well @ or the one I did poorly at.

Any ideas??

I don't want to have to do a post bacc program, where they can clearly see improvement over the years.

I'm a non-traditional student who has worked at the same company for 7 years. I've had a few different positions at the company in this time, should I list each position as a different work experience or should I just list one work experience with my current title and go in to a little detail about each previous role I've held in the description?

I have attended 2 different universities over my the last ten years. When I input the my grades from my current university it's AACOMAS is registering my gpa at a 3.45

I recently got the transcript from the school I attended 5+ years ago where I didn't do well at all and when I entered it into the application it brought my overall gpa WAY down.

Not sure if schools will look at the current school where I'm doing well @ or the one I did poorly at.

Any ideas??

I don't want to have to do a post bacc program, where they can clearly see improvement over the years.

When I was looking at schools to apply to I stumbled across something that said the admissions committee will look at the past 120 credit hours to evaluate you, I think it might have been the Pomona or PCOM admissions site. So you're probably not sunk, just look for schools with that policy.

For some reason my app is blank and it not allowing me to type anything.

Nvr mind it back to norm.

Also I am working for three different companies as a CNA and I am doing to same work at all 3 so I decided to use the same description for all 3 is this okay?

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies on previous questions. More of a general question regarding personal statements...

Do we need to type it in?! I don't have Word Pad on my MacBook Pro and I tried to download and it didn't work (I only have Microsoft Word but it recommends not to use this)? Anyone have any suggestions or other programs I could copy/paste from to save some time?

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies on previous questions. More of a general question regarding personal statements...

Do we need to type it in?! I don't have Word Pad on my MacBook Pro and I tried to download and it didn't work (I only have Microsoft Word but it recommends not to use this)? Anyone have any suggestions or other programs I could copy/paste from to save some time?

Thanks!

Just use word. That's what I used and made any formatting adjustments when I pasted it in.

Not a big issue.

Hey guys
I'm retaking a course. Mark will be out for it around July.
Should I wait to submit my application till then?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Hey all, for those that did vocational school like EMT, CNA and such; did you list it under schools attended?

Any ideas??

Schools will generally put more weight on your more recent coursework. As long as you have a GPAs above 3.0, you'll stand a decent chance. If your GPAs are below 3.0 with everything considered, you may want to check out post bacc work. Post in the WAMC forum for more advice on that.

or should I just list one work experience with my current title and go in to a little detail about each previous role I've held in the description?
This :thumbup:

Should you put "magna cum laude" as an award or leave it out?
I would list it - that's a noteworthy award.

Also I am working for three different companies as a CNA and I am doing to same work at all 3 so I decided to use the same description for all 3 is this okay?
That's fine in my opinion. Adcoms know what CNAs do and (I'm guessing) they probably won't pay much attention to the descriptions unless you did something out-of-the-norm.

Hey guys
I'm retaking a course. Mark will be out for it around July.
Should I wait to submit my application till then?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
I would wait. You will see extremely little - if any - negative consequences for submitting in July and it will probably be worth it to wait for the GPA boost from that retake.

Hey all, for those that did vocational school like EMT, CNA and such; did you list it under schools attended?
Yes - if it's a college course and you can obtain a transcript for it, list it.

^called aacomas today
Apparently I cannot grade replace a pass/fail course, even if I failed.
Sigh

Is there any pt in retaking it and get a high percent (I know I can)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

So I noticed there is a "Other Documents" section on AACOMAS...What is this for? Could it be for submitting research abstracts? Or uploading resumes?

Is anyone submitting a research abstract? If so, do you think I should list even though I was not first author?

^called aacomas today
Sigh

I don't think pass/fail courses get calculated into your GPA at all. :shrug: So there really wouldn't be any point in retaking it for GPA improvement purposes.

(Brakk, please correct me if I'm wrong! :p)

Where should I list my certifications?

personal trainer / CPR/ Spinning?

some people are telling me awards, others are saying to post it with ECs. If so, how should I go about doing that in ECs ?

Hey guys, I'm a little confused about this transcript request form and how to use it. Do I have to drop this off at my school and tell them to send it along with my transcripts? Or is there anyway I can have my transcripts sent electronically?

Where should I list my certifications?

personal trainer / CPR/ Spinning?

some people are telling me awards, others are saying to post it with ECs. If so, how should I go about doing that in ECs ?

Group them all together under one heading.

^called aacomas today
Sigh

No point then if you can't replace it, just take a different course you did C- and below in.

So I noticed there is a "Other Documents" section on AACOMAS...What is this for? Could it be for submitting research abstracts? Or uploading resumes?

Is anyone submitting a research abstract? If so, do you think I should list even though I was not first author?

The other documents is for very special uses, such as internal aacomas documents. (I.e. if you did a legal name change and you need it sent).

Not meant for other things AFAIK.

I don't think pass/fail courses get calculated into your GPA at all. :shrug: So there really wouldn't be any point in retaking it for GPA improvement purposes.

(Brakk, please correct me if I'm wrong! :p)

I have no idea.
That's what I thought too.
However, upon entering the F, my sGPA dropped 0.2 :eek:
Sort of a SOL loophole, since according to AACOMAS, I cannot grade replace it either

fudge

I have no idea.
That's what I thought too.
However, upon entering the F, my sGPA dropped 0.2 :eek:
Sort of a SOL loophole, since according to AACOMAS, I cannot grade replace it either

fudge

Don't enter it as an F but as a non-pass or maybe withdraw/fail (not sure which). Pass/fail courses shouldn't affect your GPA.

A couple of questions here:

#1) I just want to make sure I meet the verification requirements here. I am a non trad student that already has a bachelors degree. I am missing one prerequisite which is O Chem II which I plan I taking in the Fall. I should be okay right since they are just referring to a total credit requirement of Junior standing status.

#2) I just called my school and they said they absolutely don't attach anything to the official transcripts when they are mailed out - even if I was to mail them the transcript request form or bring it to them in person. They said they would include my AACOMASID - would this be alright?

Last edited:
Pass/Fail: Courses in which you were graded on a Pass/
Fail system, including Credit/No Credit, Satisfactory/
Unsatisfactory, and High Pass/Pass/Fail grading systems.
The grade of "P" should be listed for Pass and "N"
for Non-pass or Fail in the AACOMAS grade column.
However, if the grade of FAIL is either included in the
GPA calculations or considered to be equivalent to the
letter grade of Fail at your institution, the letter grade of
"F" should be listed in the AACOMAS Grade column and
included in your GPA calculations
Hmm.. kind of confused here.

Just got off the phone with the AACOMAS guy
Told me basically I can repeat the class, but it won't count as a repeat of the failed P/F.
From the bolded portion above, I am worried that AACOMAS will change the P/F to F after verification, which will drop my GPA down quite a bit.

BTW, even though it was a course in my last term and that it was gross anatomy, you guys think if I cannot grade replace it, I shouldn't retake it?

Does anyone know if we have to put contact information for our ECs and volunteer works? I can't find it anywhere on that page...do we not have to provide it like the AMCAS? Thanks!

I did some research and got my name on one publication and another pending. Do I put the description of my research along with the publications in extracurricular activities or can I put the publication under "Awards, Honors, Scholarships" section?

Hey guys, I'm a little confused about this transcript request form and how to use it. Do I have to drop this off at my school and tell them to send it along with my transcripts? Or is there anyway I can have my transcripts sent electronically?
When you send your transcripts electronically, look for an option to attach additional documents. The 3 colleges that I sent transcripts from all had that option. Upload the transcript request form there.

A couple of questions here:

#1) I just want to make sure I meet the verification requirements here. I am a non trad student that already has a bachelors degree. I am missing one prerequisite which is O Chem II which I plan I taking in the Fall. I should be okay right since they are just referring to a total credit requirement of Junior standing status.

#2) I just called my school and they said they absolutely don't attach anything to the official transcripts when they are mailed out - even if I was to mail them the transcript request form or bring it to them in person. They said they would include my AACOMASID - would this be alright?
1. Yes - you definitely have enough credits to be applying.

2. It's not that big of a deal if you can't send the transcript request form with your transcript. AACOMAS claims it may delay processing, but it won't be a game changer.

Hmm.. kind of confused here.

Just got off the phone with the AACOMAS guy
Told me basically I can repeat the class, but it won't count as a repeat of the failed P/F.
From the bolded portion above, I am worried that AACOMAS will change the P/F to F after verification, which will drop my GPA down quite a bit.

BTW, even though it was a course in my last term and that it was gross anatomy, you guys think if I cannot grade replace it, I shouldn't retake it?
If you can't replace the grade, it would be more worthwhile to either retake a different class (if you did poorly in any other classes) or take an upper division science class instead.

Does anyone know if we have to put contact information for our ECs and volunteer works? I can't find it anywhere on that page...do we not have to provide it like the AMCAS? Thanks!
This was addressed earlier in the thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=14026405&postcount=231

I did some research and got my name on one publication and another pending. Do I put the description of my research along with the publications in extracurricular activities or can I put the publication under "Awards, Honors, Scholarships" section?
I would create a research EC and put the publication in the description.