Official 2023 APMLE Part 2 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Pretty sure that’s not how the angoff method works. The value of each question is predetermined in advance to uniquely scale each exam with each unique set of questions.
Thanks for the correction. Gl whoever took/retook it.

seems like we all felt similarly about our exams. The general consensus is that we “should be okay”. Odds are that we all passed.
Don’t let the next two weeks eat at you .
It’s just a dumb test

Just curious why did you think it wasn't a good exam? E.g. content not taught, too broad, harder than practice exam, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the correction. Gl whoever took/retook it.

Just curious why did you think it wasn't a good exam? E.g. content not taught, too broad, harder than practice exam, etc?
No problem! And I think the exam is just too broad. Not enough concepts are tested that are emphasized in my classes and lots of trivia questions.
I guess no exam can be "perfect: though.

Reactions: 1 users
I definitely missed some questions I shouldn’t have, I’m sure everyone feels that way.

It’s a really, really stupid test. I hope you passed!
its tough to say its just a stupid test when if you fail it this time (even if its your first time taking it now) you will be pulled from match and have to sit a year out and try residency again next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
its tough to say its just a stupid test when if you fail it this time (even if its your first time taking it now) you will be pulled from match and have to sit a year out and try residency again next year.
That is completely false. You will be pulled out of the match but you will still graduate, take it in May and scramble for open spots before starting in July. And oh there will be lots and lots of open spots especially in NY. You only wait a year if you fail 3X. And if we are being truthful to ourselves then we will all agree this is a stupid test. It tests random radiology, biomechanics and peds stuff we will never use. Most of the questions are random crap.

Reactions: 1 user
That is completely false. You will be pulled out of the match but you will still graduate, take it in May and scramble for open spots before starting in July. And oh there will be lots and lots of open spots especially in NY. You only wait a year if you fail 3X. And if we are being truthful to ourselves then we will all agree this is a stupid test. It tests random radiology, biomechanics and peds stuff we will never use. Most of the questions are random crap.
Yes you can match for open scramble spots in July, but to settle for a bad residency for 3 years that truthfully is the most important training you'll receive for the rest of your career is not always advised. I honestly don't get why the scores cant be released soon, and a 3rd retake can be done before match in march.

Yes you can match for open scramble spots in July, but to settle for a bad residency for 3 years that truthfully is the most important training you'll receive for the rest of your career is not always advised. I honestly don't get why the scores cant be released soon, and a 3rd retake can be done before match in march.
Bro idk why you think Al the programs that scramble are bad. Some program needs 4 residents and end up with 3 so someone can squeeze by and take the last spot in July. All I am saying is that it is still possible to match into good spot so failing twice is not the end of the world. Wanna make sure those who fail twice have hope.

I'm not certain that someone who fails part ii twice is going to land one of these good residency program that somehow make it to July, which is unlikely itself too. Good residency programs fill their spots usually during match week. Sure sometimes a resident gets fired or leaves, but then you are also competing with applicants that also include residents trying to transfer. I saw multiple R2's who repeated a year just to get out of their current program.

if you're failing part ii and part i more than once you may just have to take what you can get. Not saying its impossible to land a good program but I think the odds are stacked against you. Maybe take what you can get and try and transfer? idk

Seems really risky to rush an exam on a 3rd retake imo. Also, how? 3rd APMLE II date is in May.

Edit: nvm I figured it out. 3rd retake as in 4 attempts total. If so I'm not even sure they have a choice but to take since there is a 6 year graduation deadline.

Last edited:
Some name brand programs also tend to stat pick when filling their unfilled/MP2 slots.

If you failed multiple times + GPA not that great, you chances of matching those 1 or 2 name brand programs that need to fill a slot are even slimmer as you and everyone else in your situation, maybe 10-15 people, are trying for the same spot.

Seems really risky to rush an exam on a 3rd retake imo. Also, how? 3rd APMLE II date is in May.

Edit: nvm I figured it out. 3rd retake as in 4 attempts total. If so I'm not even sure they have a choice but to take since there is a 6 year graduation deadline.
Some name brand programs also tend to stat pick when filling their unfilled/MP2 slots.

If you failed multiple times + GPA not that great, you chances of matching those 1 or 2 name brand programs that need to fill a slot are even slimmer as you and everyone else in your situation, maybe 10-15 people, are trying for the same spot.
You are not even able to do the normal MP2, you have to wait until like June to find a spot. All things considered, having only 4 weeks to find any spot/Move/all of that a lot of people I think may just sit out a year and wait to do residency the following year.

You are not even able to do the normal MP2, you have to wait until like June to find a spot. All things considered, having only 4 weeks to find any spot/Move/all of that a lot of people I think may just sit out a year and wait to do residency the following year.
who cares :rofl:personally there is no way I would ever sacrafice an entire year's worth of earning and waiting and wasting to not go to a "bad program". this may be an unpopular opinion but i truly believe matching into a "name brand program" is extremely overhyped. the difference between being a good or bad doctor during training is the effort you yourself put in. it is three long years which quite frankly to me is way too much time.
i've come to see that an overwhelming majority of med students are clueless as to how real life works. you know, when you actually have to work and live your life outside of podiatry.

secondly, newsflash: nobody wants to be a podiatrist. enrollment at an all-time low and theres an evergrowing surplus of residency positions each year.

who cares :rofl:personally there is no way I would ever sacrafice an entire year's worth of earning and waiting and wasting to not go to a "bad program". this may be an unpopular opinion but i truly believe matching into a "name brand program" is extremely overhyped. the difference between being a good or bad doctor during training is the effort you yourself put in. it is three long years which quite frankly to me is way too much time.
i've come to see that an overwhelming majority of med students are clueless as to how real life works. you know, when you actually have to work and live your life outside of podiatry.

secondly, newsflash: nobody wants to be a podiatrist. enrollment at an all-time low and theres an evergrowing surplus of residency positions each year.
It's preference for everyone. A year off is daunting, but others may seem it more daunting to spend 3 years at a program you find to be complete hell

It's preference for everyone. A year off is daunting, but others may seem it more daunting to spend 3 years at a program you find to be complete hell
That’s a fair assessment . Agreed, it comes down to the opinion of the individual. Obviously you should never go anywhere you don’t wanna go. I was just making the point that a large number of programs scramble that aren’t “complete hell”

Members don't see this ad :)
That’s a fair assessment . Agreed, it comes down to the opinion of the individual. Obviously you should never go anywhere you don’t wanna go. I was just making the point that a large number of programs scramble that aren’t “complete hell”
Yeah scrambling normally is not an issue but having to wait until June to start contacting programs about if they want you just seems nuts to me. Thats even after the scramble

Yeah scrambling normally is not an issue but having to wait until June to start contacting programs about if they want you just seems nuts to me. Thats even after the scramble
fair. doing absolutely nothing for an entire year is equally as nuts to me

fair. doing absolutely nothing for an entire year is equally as nuts to me
I agree with you. I feel like a lot of people exaggerate way too much. Life is short and at the end of the day this is just a job. We all die in the end anyway. It’s better to contact programs in June for a spot than waste a whole year in hopes of getting some top program. This is PODIATRY. It’s all surgery, clinic and wound care everywhere you go so people need to chill with all these “top program” crap.

I agree with you. I feel like a lot of people exaggerate way too much. Life is short and at the end of the day this is just a job. We all die in the end anyway. It’s better to contact programs in June for a spot than waste a whole year in hopes of getting some top program. This is PODIATRY. It’s all surgery, clinic and wound care everywhere you go so people need to chill with all these “top program” crap.
Im not talking about getting into "top programs" im saying not getting into a HORRIBLE residency. there truly are some residencies out there (typically the ones that go unfilled/will take lower qualified residents) that are places you dont wanna be at. I also know of programs who are willing to go a few spots unfilled than just take anyone in June do to this residency "surplus". at the end of the day, there WILL be a spot available in June and they will gladly take anyone, the question is do you really think making that 50k (why not just do uber eats for a year you'll make about the same) to work at a HORRIBLE place is a location you will most likely have no control over since you'll be choosing from a small handful of programs (mainly going to be around NYC which the cost of living their is already obscene if youre worried about getting started ASAP to start making that 50k).

If you are concerned about scrambling I would look at the open residency positions on the aacpm website just to see who scrambles consistently every year. try to avoid those programs. You can argue program A is better than program B based on if its a "top tier" program or a sleeper, but in reality they're likely both great. The programs that consistently scramble every year with multiple open spots have serious issues and probably wouldn't be accredited residency programs if we weren't podiatry. Up to you what you want, but TFP's will absolutely welcome the cheap labor in exchange for you watching them do surgery. Watched that this month where a podiatry attending sent their 3 residents back to their clinic (90 patients) while they were doing surgery ( the one they get each month).

I attached this earlier thread about the selectivity of different residency programs just so that students can look back on this thread. There is a huge discrepancy from top to middle tier to bottom tier programs, and I think its important to not ignore that.

passed [first time taking it]. hope everyone else who took it fared well!
the most important resource to use for part 2 is practice questions. i guarantee you will see a lot of familiar questions and many will be exact duplicates.

Reactions: 3 users
Goodluck to everyone getting results today. Any word on updated pass rates within schools?

Hey guys I'm retaking the exam May 3rd. I've been studying board vitals, pocket pod. Any other last suggestions? I'm praying this works out. I just want to pass and scramble somewhere. This has been a nightmare

Hey guys I'm retaking the exam May 3rd. I've been studying board vitals, pocket pod. Any other last suggestions? I'm praying this works out. I just want to pass and scramble somewhere. This has been a nightmare
Check out the crozier manual for tips and tricks.

I used and advocate for First Aid to review Medicine concepts and some of the pharmacology. Even the ortho MSK stuff had some relevance.

Anesthesia chapters in McGlamery were also a huge help with the minutia around that (I think it’s like chapters 3-6)

Check out the crozier manual for tips and tricks.

I used and advocate for First Aid to review Medicine concepts and some of the pharmacology. Even the ortho MSK stuff had some relevance.

Anesthesia chapters in McGlamery were also a huge help with the minutia around that (I think it’s like chapters 3-6)
I appreciate it big time.