Official 2018 Rank Order Lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is awful. How are there still 2 weeks left???:sorry: :uhno: :bang:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
So nerve wrecking...
Here is my ROL

Harvard-South Shore(VA program)
Univ Rochester
UVA
UVM
Virginia Tech
WVU
and 6 community programs.

I have such a low step 1 score and mediocre step 2 score that makes me very worried about not matching

So nerve wrecking...
Here is my ROL

Univ Rochester
UVA
UVM
Virginia Tech
WVU

I have such a low step 1 score and mediocre step 2 score that makes me very worried about not matching
It's 12 programs, not 11. Are you so freaked out you're seeing your ROL smaller than it is? :) Seriously, chill out, you'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So nerve wrecking...
Here is my ROL

Univ Rochester
UVA
UVM
Virginia Tech
WVU

UVA is an awesome program with such a low COL. Nice list though. Chill, go outside and have some fun. Enjoy life before you are an intern... possibly starting on medicine

Last edited by a moderator:
No psych program interviews hundreds of applicants for 5-10 spots lol. Most programs interview 10 applicants per spot, the most competitive interview 5.
Eh, a competitive program I interviewed at were at around 18/spot.

Eh, a competitive program I interviewed at were at around 18/spot.

My competitive but not exactly Harvard program was always around 10/spot. We varied widely year to year in how far down our rank list our "last" candidate fell. Sometimes it'd be in the 40-60 range and others we were nearly hitting #100.

My competitive but not exactly Harvard program was always around 10/spot. We varied widely year to year in how far down our rank list our "last" candidate fell. Sometimes it'd be in the 40-60 range and others we were nearly hitting #100.
That’s interesting. I’m curious to know if your program got burned by “ranking you first” letters.

Ready for this to be over and know already.

ROL:
Wash U
UTSW
Emory
Baylor
GWU
Dartmouth
Plus 6 other academic centers (hopefully don't go down that far)

We share 3 together - WashU, Emory and Baylor!
Mine was WashU, Emory, CCF, Temple, Baylor, U Mich, Georgetown, etc.

That’s interesting. I’m curious to know if your program got burned by “ranking you first” letters.

I doubt it. Likely had more to do with how we we recruited in a general sense. Traditionally, we did better when interviewing more Midwestern candidates since UCLA and Miami students seem less enthusiastic when they visit us and ride the L to their December interview, though a look at the current residents page shows a lot more geographic diversity in the last few years since I left.

Reactions: 1 users
It is scary how most PSYCH program interview hundreds of applicants for 5~10 spots..
Dude, seriously. Programs may interview about *a* (as in one) hundred of applicants, not *hundreds* of applicants. Who has the time and the money?

I doubt it. Likely had more to do with how we we recruited in a general sense. Traditionally, we did better when interviewing more Midwestern candidates since UCLA and Miami students seem less enthusiastic when they visit us and ride the L to their December interview, though a look at the current residents page shows a lot more geographic diversity in the last few years since I left.

Oh man, who doesn't love the L in December? Lots of great people watching to be had. I may be biased but I think a lot of UCLA and Miami folks miss out if they write off Chicago because of winter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ouch... besides, I think the term "Minnesota nice" speaks to the contrary (minus the specifics about lake effect and the L)

I think it actually does the opposite, as only the hardcore a-holes want to deal with the polar vortexes and lake effect snow year after year...

Contrary to popular belief, we don't really get lake effect very often in Chicago. We got a little bit this winter, but it's way more common on the western shore of Michigan. I wish we did though. I haven't been able to go cross country skiing locally in a few years.

Contrary to popular belief, we don't really get lake effect very often in Chicago. We got a little bit this winter, but it's way more common on the western shore of Michigan. I wish we did though. I haven't been able to go cross country skiing locally in a few years.

We used to get it a TON when I was growing up. Last really bad one I can recall was winter of 2013/14 when Snowpocalypse rolled through and we had a 3-4 day span where we got 20+ inches of snow and had wind chills below -40. Haven't really been back since that winter other than to visit, but we had some pretty solid snow seasons before 2010.

4 days to know if you matched. 9 days to find out where of course.

Can't imagine why you think this is such a big deal. It is only 4 years of hard work and hundreds of thousands of dollars. So, no big deal...

We used to get it a TON when I was growing up. Last really bad one I can recall was winter of 2013/14 when Snowpocalypse rolled through and we had a 3-4 day span where we got 20+ inches of snow and had wind chills below -40. Haven't really been back since that winter other than to visit, but we had some pretty solid snow seasons before 2010.

Oh man. I remember snowpocalypse ... I was on a bus on lake shore drive, and barely missed getting stranded - some buses stood still for hours that day.

I got home and my husband was getting into his snowboarding gear. Big pants, heavy coat, goggles and everything. "I'm going to Jewel" he says. Great, we can be stocked on food just in case. He trudges out into the howling gales, freezing winds, I quickly lose sight of him in the swirling white. He's gone for a while, long enough that I feel a stab of worry about him. Finally he gets back from Jewel and he's holding ... 1 six pack of beer. "I couldn't decide which to get." No food, which I had expected him to grab. The beer did its job to make me not care, though.

Good memories.

Reactions: 2 users
You are right... My apologies. I need to do something else

Go home and start binge-watching all 6 seasons of LOST. If you don't sleep or take bathroom breaks you'll only have to wait 12 hours to find out if you matched somewhere, which you can spend trying to figure out what the heck was actually happening in the last 2 seasons.

Can't imagine why you think this is such a big deal. It is only 4 years of hard work and hundreds of thousands of dollars. So, no big deal...

I know, right? It's not like some of us have had our entire lives and educational/financial investments lead up to this single moment. No stress at all!

Oh man. I remember snowpocalypse ... I was on a bus on lake shore drive, and barely missed getting stranded - some buses stood still for hours that day.

I got home and my husband was getting into his snowboarding gear. Big pants, heavy coat, goggles and everything. "I'm going to Jewel" he says. Great, we can be stocked on food just in case. He trudges out into the howling gales, freezing winds, I quickly lose sight of him in the swirling white. He's gone for a while, long enough that I feel a stab of worry about him. Finally he gets back from Jewel and he's holding ... 1 six pack of beer. "I couldn't decide which to get." No food, which I had expected him to grab. The beer did its job to make me not care, though.

Good memories.

Haha, I can relate. Probably giving away my anonymity if I haven't already, but I was a delivery driver and had to work through those blizzards. Probably the only time people got their food an hour late and still tipped way too much for a small order. I had someone give me a fifty for an $11 or $12 order and say "Man, I'm so sorry. Just keep the change." I'll also never forget driving down a 55 mph road at 10 mph in -20 degree weather and literally seeing 1 other car on the road over the course of a 4 hour shift. Good times.

Haha, I can relate. Probably giving away my anonymity if I haven't already, but I was a delivery driver and had to work through those blizzards. Probably the only time people got their food an hour late and still tipped way too much for a small order. I had someone give me a fifty for an $11 or $12 order and say "Man, I'm so sorry. Just keep the change." I'll also never forget driving down a 55 mph road at 10 mph in -20 degree weather and literally seeing 1 other car on the road over the course of a 4 hour shift. Good times.

I remember the -14 days that week being more of an annoyance than anything. Thankfully my car started ok that whole week. (I accidentally drained my battery during the superbowl blizzard of '15, though didn't want to move my car anyway since the dibs-related problems were intense that winter).

My only other memory from snowpocalypse was it being -14 on a Monday night but still the bars in my neighborhood were full.

I remember the -14 days that week being more of an annoyance than anything. Thankfully my car started ok that whole week. (I accidentally drained my battery during the superbowl blizzard of '15, though didn't want to move my car anyway since the dibs-related problems were intense that winter).

My only other memory from snowpocalypse was it being -14 on a Monday night but still the bars in my neighborhood were full.

Yep, that Monday (the 6th) was the day I got the crazy tips and also when it dropped to below -40 with the windchill (I think it hit -43 where I was). Other than that weekend the snow wasn't too horrible, just that it was ridiculously cold which helped the snow stick for a long time.

He was joking. You really need to chill.

You are right... My apologies. I need to do something else

Can confirm, was joking. The waiting game is tough! We've got this team, 8 more days.

Good memories.

My snowpocalypse memories from 2015 include seeing multiple cross country skiers skiing through abandoned major city streets and on a bridge over a river. That and having snow piled up to almost head height on the side walks so that it felt like I was walking through snow tunnels on the way to the subway.

Can confirm, was joking. The waiting game is tough! We've got this team, 8 more days.

My snowpocalypse memories from 2015 include seeing multiple cross country skiers skiing through abandoned major city streets and on a bridge over a river. That and having snow piled up to almost head height on the side walks so that it felt like I was walking through snow tunnels on the way to the subway.

Are we talking about Snowpocalypse 2015? Because I was remembering Snowpocalypse 2011, abandoned cars on LSD, etc. Making me feel old :-(

Go home and start binge-watching all 6 seasons of LOST. If you don't sleep or take bathroom breaks you'll only have to wait 12 hours to find out if you matched somewhere, which you can spend trying to figure out what the heck was actually happening in the last 2 seasons.

Oh, How I wish! Studying Step3, stressing out for both the match and Step3 is what I am doing these days. Lucky there is a family guy:laugh: Stevie is great for stress-reduction:)

Are we talking about Snowpocalypse 2015? Because I was remembering Snowpocalypse 2011, abandoned cars on LSD, etc. Making me feel old :-(

Alas, I moved here a few months after that storm. My brother lived just off of LSD at the time and shot video of the process of cars getting stuck on LSD from the North Avenue bridge and made like 150 bucks from the click revenue when media outlets started picking it up.

Ohhhhh right y'all are in Chicago, I was talking about Snowpocalypse in the Northeast.

Anyways, back to our regularly scheduled programming. In the middle of another storm now, getting ready to do some pre-Match week skiing this weekend.

Ohhhhh right y'all are in Chicago, I was talking about Snowpocalypse in the Northeast.

Anyways, back to our regularly scheduled programming. In the middle of another storm now, getting ready to do some pre-Match week skiing this weekend.

Snowpocalypse for everybody! Chicago and the Northeast are heavily featured in my rank list, so talking about both is great.

This is like a watching a pot that takes weeks to boil
"Hurry up, then wait" describes just about every important step of medical education (med school application, Steps, residency application...). Or life in general.

"Hurry up, then wait" describes just about every important step of medical education (med school application, Steps, residency application...). Or life in general.
I would say more like snails pace and wait.

I would say more like snails pace and wait.
Well, how about getting your ERAS application on time? Remember the anxiety related to LORs and scores and transcript delays etc? Then after that, hurry up to snatch an interview date before they all fill. Etc
Now wait.

For you it is all about where. For us it is who. We like dozens of you, but only get a handful. It is bitter sweet every time, because it could always be better. For applicants there is the pinnacle of getting exactly what you want, or at least think you want.

Reactions: 2 users

Last edited:

I'm talking about 2014, which was one of the record setting years. 2011 was great/bad too though, I remember that one as well. No worries about age, I was post-college for both of those if that makes you feel any better.

Anyone's medical school force you to announce where you've matched in front of everyone? Soooo happy mine doesn't. Not something I'd be comfortable with in the slightest, even if I match #1.
Thankfully, no. That sounds awful, especially for the people who may have just found out they matched at the bottom of their list. Our class's match list is emailed out a few days later so we can all quietly judge each other.

One of the few perks of going to a DO school instead of MD was that there was 0% chance of having to do an actual match day thing (since there are 3 matches at our school) and everything is anonymous. We do get a list of where people matched, but not who matched to which location, which is personally all I think people should really be finding out unless a person openly wants to share where they matched.

One of the few perks of going to a DO school instead of MD was that there was 0% chance of having to do an actual match day thing (since there are 3 matches at our school) and everything is anonymous. We do get a list of where people matched, but not who matched to which location, which is personally all I think people should really be finding out unless a person openly wants to share where they matched.

Schools also seem to be going away from posting online match results with names in general, and instead like to post a list of programs people matched to. I understand the privacy concerns, but I'm also kinda sad about it because I have old friends/classmates/whatever who don't do social media and I hate the thought of pestering them with a text asking where they matched in case they're disappointed more than just looking it up.

Schools also seem to be going away from posting online match results with names in general, and instead like to post a list of programs people matched to. I understand the privacy concerns, but I'm also kinda sad about it because I have old friends/classmates/whatever who don't do social media and I hate the thought of pestering them with a text asking where they matched in case they're disappointed more than just looking it up.

I get that, but at the same time if a person matches at their last place or into a field they didn't want or not at all, I'd get why they'd be really embarrassed or upset if everyone saw that.

Our school actually has a FB page just for the match where everyone posts where they got in, even people that don't use FB have made accounts to share with classmates and students where they ended up. We also have students from lower classes and a few alumni join the group to see where everyone is going. I like that set up more because it allows everyone to share where they're going with the chance to just not post if they don't want to share.