*~*~*~* Official 2017-2018 Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some do a 1 one year biomedical masters program, and others can take more upper-level Bio classes to boost sGPA/oGPA. This would work for me just because I don't have a BS in Bio. Maybe others can recommend something.... I was looking into the UF online master in microbiology. With your situation, an online program may be best for you so you can work and go to school.
dental schools don't accept online programs though do they?

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted to USC today! Will be declining.
Interviewed 11/15, waitlisted 12/1, accepted 5/10

Best of luck to everyone else!! Looks like the cycle is not over yet :)

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

The first time I applied to dental schools i applied with DAT 17 and 2.8 science GPA. overal gpa 3.55 didnt get an interview from any of the 12 schools.

The second time (last cycle) i applied with a DAT of 20, 22 on each science, 16 on math, 3.2 science gpa..overal gpa 3.55. yet no interviews

now I am deciding to reapply without retaking the dat for the third time.. I am just confused why i didnt recieve a single interview on the second time i applied. any advice would help!!

thank you

Hello,

The first time I applied to dental schools i applied with DAT 17 and 2.8 science GPA. overal gpa 3.55 didnt get an interview from any of the 12 schools.

The second time (last cycle) i applied with a DAT of 20, 22 on each science, 16 on math, 3.2 science gpa..overal gpa 3.55. yet no interviews

now I am deciding to reapply without retaking the dat for the third time.. I am just confused why i didnt recieve a single interview on the second time i applied. any advice would help!!

thank you
Yes, retake, do better in math. get 21+. Apply to 15 schools. Good Luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

thank you

I'll just say I have similar stats (3.3sci/cumulative, 20AA 20SCi 16 on QRT) am wonderbread white, and I got into dental school. How did I get in with below average stats? I have no idea, so instead of speculating on what you should or shouldn’t do, I’ll just tell you about my experience.
Becoming a dentist has been my dream that I've been working toward for a long time and I decided that I would do anything to get into dental school. I graduated with my BS in biochemistry (took 6yrs because I was working a lot) and I took the DAT the first time and got a 19AA/17sci. I was crushed, I knew with my GPA and DAT I didn't even have a chance of getting in. I took a quick RDA course to get x-ray certified, got a full-time job as an RDA in a dental office. After work every day, I studied to retake the DAT from 6p-10:30p, and study 12hrs on the weekends…everyday for 4months. My second time I got 21pat/16qrt/22read/19bio/18gen/24organic-20AA/20SCI. I was super bummed and mentally preparing to apply to master’s programs, but the Dentist I was working for said “What? You’re awesome, you don’t need a masters, go for it! Kiddo!”. He was probably giving me terrible advice because he’s a really nice guy. However, I was narcissistic enough to believe him.
I decided to double down and look for an interesting volunteer experience and found one driving abuse victims to safety with Families to Freedom (1 great cause, 2 sounds great on paper as well). I began working on my essays after work with the same intensity that I prepared for my DAT with. I focused on selling my goods and trying to connect as a person. Basically, I grew up on a farm, dentistry is my passion, here’s all the things I’ve done be more experienced: Shadowing, RDA, Families to Freedom.
I had pre-December interviews with Roseman and Louisville. Which I completely bombed. I walked into Roseman the first time wearing a suit in my life, feeling very inferior, and during the 3 on 1 interview, my brain stopped working, began sweating and fighting to keep my voice from breaking.
At Louisville, I had practiced more and had more confidence, but again I was trying to come up with the right answers, instead of answering from my gut. Later that week I got an invite for Midwestern AZ in February.
December first comes and goes, I get waitlisted at Louisville but it feels like a soft rejection. Silence from Roseman and I return to work at the dental office. The lead RDA is so happy, and smug that I haven’t gotten into dental school. She becomes unusually interested in my application process and starts talking about how hard dental school is, how most people can’t handle it, and just generally has way more confidence being passive aggressive with me. I eventually walk in on her talking laughing about how she just knew I would never be a dentist, I quietly leave the room but not before being seen by the hygienist. It was a very dark time for me, I was questioning my choice to apply, I had to work with someone who genuinely wanted to see me fail and I couldn’t say or do anything because at the end of the day, she’s longtime assistant and I’m just a temporary employee.
When I got to midwestern, everything was going wrong. I didn’t want to go because I felt like all the seats were gone and I was wasting my money when I should be finishing my master’s program applications. I forgot my belt and had to grab something at Walmart at 6 am the morning of my interview. I saw the campus and fell in love, the clinic is spectacular, their opportunity to place implants they give 4 for a student to place on patients. Then while waiting for my interview in the lobby with everyone else I began to think, wow this place is perfect but just like the last few they aren’t going to call me. I sit there and actually get angry that I’m about to be discarded. When I walked into my 3 on 1 interview I felt ready to fight, and not the panic to run like last time.
The first question was why dentistry? I gave quick bullet responses as if to say that my answer was the right answer, and not in a tone that is asking if it is the right answer. However, on this question, I talked about eudaimonia being the activity of the soul, in accordance with virtue, throughout a complete life. Dentistry lets you take care of your family, while helping people, and it is a great family lifestyle.
The next question was, is it better to be good and on time, or perfect and late? I responded that part of perfection is being on time.
The next question was, how would you handle a patient that is late for their appointment, be insists on treatment that day, and you can’t be late for the appointment after. I said that in my experience as an assistant we would do whatever it takes to make sure both patients are taken care of, even if we have to work through lunch.
The next question was what are three things that you want to be remembered for? I said Family, being a great dentist, and that I wanted to go back to Kentucky and help take care of the family farm.
At this point in the interview, I knew that I was saying all the right things and was presenting myself well. One of the doctors interviewing me nodded to the other, and I was offered a chair on the spot. I later received invites from a couple other schools but I had already decided on midwestern.
Turns out one of the Dr.’s interviewing me started as an RDA, and the other said he enjoyed the preservation of history and had once lost his family’s farm. Moral of the story, yes you can get into dental school with low stats, yes, it is harder to get in with low stats, yes, I will pay a lot more at a private school, and yes, I would rather be lucky than good.
The application process is brutal, but what are you willing to do to reach your goals? I hope that sharing my experience has helped in some small way.

P.S.
I left my job at the office on great terms, I hugged EVERYONE goodbye because being professional matters and you don’t burn bridges and its way more satisfying to take the high road on haters.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
I'll just say I have similar stats (3.3sci/cumulative, 20AA 20SCi 16 on QRT) am wonderbread white, and I got into dental school. How did I get in with below average stats? I have no idea, so instead of speculating on what you should or shouldn’t do, I’ll just tell you about my experience.
Becoming a dentist has been my dream that I've been working toward for a long time and I decided that I would do anything to get into dental school. I graduated with my BS in biochemistry (took 6yrs because I was working a lot) and I took the DAT the first time and got a 19AA/17sci. I was crushed, I knew with my GPA and DAT I didn't even have a chance of getting in. I took a quick RDA course to get x-ray certified, got a full-time job as an RDA in a dental office. After work every day, I studied to retake the DAT from 6p-10:30p, and study 12hrs on the weekends…everyday for 4months. My second time I got 21pat/16qrt/22read/19bio/18gen/24organic-20AA/20SCI. I was super bummed and mentally preparing to apply to master’s programs, but the Dentist I was working for said “What? You’re awesome, you don’t need a masters, go for it! Kiddo!”. He was probably giving me terrible advice because he’s a really nice guy. However, I was narcissistic enough to believe him.
I decided to double down and look for an interesting volunteer experience and found one driving abuse victims to safety with Families to Freedom (1 great cause, 2 sounds great on paper as well). I began working on my essays after work with the same intensity that I prepared for my DAT with. I focused on selling my goods and trying to connect as a person. Basically, I grew up on a farm, dentistry is my passion, here’s all the things I’ve done be more experienced: Shadowing, RDA, Families to Freedom.
I had pre-December interviews with Roseman and Louisville. Which I completely bombed. I walked into Roseman the first time wearing a suit in my life, feeling very inferior, and during the 3 on 1 interview, my brain stopped working, began sweating and fighting to keep my voice from breaking.
At Louisville, I had practiced more and had more confidence, but again I was trying to come up with the right answers, instead of answering from my gut. Later that week I got an invite for Midwestern AZ in February.
December first comes and goes, I get waitlisted at Louisville but it feels like a soft rejection. Silence from Roseman and I return to work at the dental office. The lead RDA is so happy, and smug that I haven’t gotten into dental school. She becomes unusually interested in my application process and starts talking about how hard dental school is, how most people can’t handle it, and just generally has way more confidence being passive aggressive with me. I eventually walk in on her talking laughing about how she just knew I would never be a dentist, I quietly leave the room but not before being seen by the hygienist. It was a very dark time for me, I was questioning my choice to apply, I had to work with someone who genuinely wanted to see me fail and I couldn’t say or do anything because at the end of the day, she’s longtime assistant and I’m just a temporary employee.
When I got to midwestern, everything was going wrong. I didn’t want to go because I felt like all the seats were gone and I was wasting my money when I should be finishing my master’s program applications. I forgot my belt and had to grab something at Walmart at 6 am the morning of my interview. I saw the campus and fell in love, the clinic is spectacular, their opportunity to place implants they give 4 for a student to place on patients. Then while waiting for my interview in the lobby with everyone else I began to think, wow this place is perfect but just like the last few they aren’t going to call me. I sit there and actually get angry that I’m about to be discarded. When I walked into my 3 on 1 interview I felt ready to fight, and not the panic to run like last time.
The first question was why dentistry? I gave quick bullet responses as if to say that my answer was the right answer, and not in a tone that is asking if it is the right answer. However, on this question, I talked about eudaimonia being the activity of the soul, in accordance with virtue, throughout a complete life. Dentistry lets you take care of your family, while helping people, and it is a great family lifestyle.
The next question was, is it better to be good and on time, or perfect and late? I responded that part of perfection is being on time.
The next question was, how would you handle a patient that is late for their appointment, be insists on treatment that day, and you can’t be late for the appointment after. I said that in my experience as an assistant we would do whatever it takes to make sure both patients are taken care of, even if we have to work through lunch.
The next question was what are three things that you want to be remembered for? I said Family, being a great dentist, and that I wanted to go back to Kentucky and help take care of the family farm.
At this point in the interview, I knew that I was saying all the right things and was presenting myself well. One of the doctors interviewing me nodded to the other, and I was offered a chair on the spot. I later received invites from a couple other schools but I had already decided on midwestern.
Turns out one of the Dr.’s interviewing me started as an RDA, and the other said he enjoyed the preservation of history and had once lost his family’s farm. Moral of the story, yes you can get into dental school with low stats, yes, it is harder to get in with low stats, yes, I will pay a lot more at a private school, and yes, I would rather be lucky than good.
The application process is brutal, but what are you willing to do to reach your goals? I hope that sharing my experience has helped in some small way.

P.S.
I left my job at the office on great terms, I hugged EVERYONE goodbye because being professional matters and you don’t burn bridges and its way more satisfying to take the high road on haters.

Ya I had a 19 AA 17 Science. 3.3 cum. GPA and 3.2 Science.

One pre-December interview, two post December. 1 waitlist and 2 acceptances as of right now. I had a lot of service hours which is just participation, no grade given. Apply broadly and realistically and you’ll be fine.

Reactions: 1 users

One pre-December interview, two post December. 1 waitlist and 2 acceptances as of right now. I had a lot of service hours which is just participation, no grade given. Apply broadly and realistically and you’ll be fine.
@Litch is a pure and flowing fountain of wisdom.

P.S.

what materials did you use to study for your DAT ? i have similar stats and i havent taken orgo or chem in 3-4 years, been trying to do "ari's schedule" on DAT Bootcamp but im struggling. i remember having to take my colleges enterance exam 3 times to make sure i didnt enter college with remedial courses. i ended up passing but i rather not have to do the same with the DAT. i dont feel good about taking it atm

Congrats!

what materials did you use to study for your DAT ? i have similar stats and i havent taken orgo or chem in 3-4 years, been trying to do "ari's schedule" on DAT Bootcamp but im struggling. i remember having to take my colleges enterance exam 3 times to make sure i didnt enter college with remedial courses. i ended up passing but i rather not have to do the same with the DAT. i dont feel good about taking it atm

For the appetizer, Chad's videos.
*Chad tenderizes the chewy subject of chemistry, into mushy baby food, and then momma bird feeds you Ace Ventura style. Far more pleasant than it sounds.

For the main course, Dat destroyer with the handwritten solutions
*The Dat destroyer is a brick that you will ritualistically beat yourself over the head with until you stop getting things wrong. Work through it like a test with no time limit the first time. Then grade it, work each missed question like you have to work it out on a whiteboard in front of the class. Gotta really know your stuff to be ready for the rapid fire.

For dessert, Bootcamp.
*Pat generators every day with coffee, before bed. Don't abuse Bootcamp, the question pool is small and you could easily fool yourself. Use it like a simulator to measure your progress, and judge your timing.

Disclaimer, I am a fool who has no business giving anyone advice. Goodluck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Might as well post these since Dec 1st is right around the corner. Perhaps my low GPA can inspire other low GPA applicants in the future. I know I definitely looked in past threads for others in a similar situation as myself.

Interview #1

School: UDM
Notification date: 07/24
Method of notification: E-mail
Residency: CA
AADSAS mail-out date: 07/06
Application complete date: 07/14
GPA (science, overall): 3.1sGPA, 3.2oGPA
DAT (24AA/26TS/20PAT/none below a 17)

Interview #2

School: Nova
Notification date: 08/03

Interview #3

School: LECOM
Notification date: 08/22
Application complete date: 07/26

Interview #4

School: UNE
Notification date: 08/22
AADSAS mail-out date: 07/18

Interview #5

School: Indiana
Notification date: 08/25
Application complete date: 07/27

Final update:

Interview #6

School: MWU-IL
Notification date: 12/11

Interview #7

School: Touro
Notification date: 12/12

Interview #8

School: Roseman
Notification date: 03/02

Interview #9

School: Case Western
Notification date: 03/21

Accepted: UDM, UNE, Indiana
Waitlisted: Nova
Declined Interviews: MWU-IL, Touro, Roseman, Case Western

Final update:

Interview #6

School: MWU-IL
Notification date: 12/11

Interview #7

School: Touro
Notification date: 12/12

Interview #8

School: Roseman
Notification date: 03/02

Interview #9

School: Case Western
Notification date: 03/21

Accepted: UDM, UNE, Indiana
Waitlisted: Nova
Declined Interviews: MWU-IL, Touro, Roseman, Case Western

You really killed it this cycle! Have you decided where you're gonna attend yet?

You really killed it this cycle! Have you decided where you're gonna attend yet?

Thank you! I decided on UNE; I loved the school when I visited and it ended up being my cheapest option.

Update:

Accepted: UNLV, Roseman, Tufts, MWU-AZ
Interview Invites: UNLV, Roseman, Tufts, MWU-AZ, Utah, Colorado, UNE, Louisville, OHSU
Denied: UoP, Marquette, Case

Thank you all for your help during this cycle! It was an amazing journey and I am excited to start dental school this Fall! Good luck to everyone :)

Update:

Accepted: UNLV, Roseman, Tufts, MWU-AZ
Interview Invites: UNLV, Roseman, Tufts, MWU-AZ, Utah, Colorado, UNE, Louisville, OHSU
Denied: UoP, Marquette, Case

Thank you all for your help during this cycle! It was an amazing journey and I am excited to start dental school this Fall! Good luck to everyone :)
Where you goin?

Interview #1
School: Nova SouthEastern Dental
Notification date: Today!! :) 7/17/18
Method of notification: Email
Residency: NJ
AADSAS mail-out date: 6/27/18
Application complete date: 7/6/18
GPA (science, overall): 3.7, 3.64 (i know, weird to have a higher sgpa)
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 21/21/23/21
Interview date: 9/12/18 (the first available date)
This thread is for last years cycle. There is a separate thread for this years cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Acceptance #2: UCLA with Deans Scholarship!!

Status
Not open for further replies.