Official 2016 COMLEX Level 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Throwaway01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here it is. Comlex level 1.

Anyone take the exam in February?

Members don't see this ad.

Is there any correlation between Combank percentage and COMBANK score?

Do we need to know tenderpoints for COMLEX? I already memorized viscerosomatic and chapman's. I'm over all these "points" they seem like BS to me.

They're on Combank so I'm assuming yes. But I think you can use Savarese to try to figure out the high-yield ones, and overall I think they're less important than viscerosomatic and chapman's.

They're on Combank so I'm assuming yes. But I think you can use Savarese to try to figure out the high-yield ones, and overall I think they're less important than viscerosomatic and chapman's.
Ughhhhhh that's so dumb lol

I have my exam this Thursday. Took the USMLE on Friday and started reading Savarese today and doing combank questions (OMM, MSK, and neuro). Do you guys recommend taking a COMSAE (A or B) on Tuesday or something? Or should I just continue to read the green book and doing combank questions for the next three days? Took C in January and scored 549, took E in March and scored 591, and finally took D in April and scored 651. These were all from my school and before I started dedicated.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have my exam this Thursday. Took the USMLE on Friday and started reading Savarese today and doing combank questions (OMM, MSK, and neuro). Do you guys recommend taking a COMSAE (A or B) on Tuesday or something? Or should I just continue to read the green book and doing combank questions for the next three days? Took C in January and scored 549, took E in March and scored 591, and finally took D in April and scored 651. These were all from my school and before I started dedicated.

With a 651 before dedicated I think you can relax.

Reactions: 1 users
Kinda unfortunate how dead the comlex form is... the usmle form is always rockin with advice/jabber on the exam. y no 1 help da fellow DO bruthas out?

Kinda unfortunate how dead the comlex form is... the usmle form is always rockin with advice/jabber on the exam. y no 1 help da fellow DO bruthas out?
Because the comlex is a joke lol by the time we graduate DO's won't need to take it (considering the ACGME merger)

Anybody wanna talk some **** about that June 6th exam?
tumblr_mw6dffs3x01qmwidzo2_400.gif

started an account just to respond to this haha, yeah the june 6th exam was absolutely ridiculous. took USMLE 6 days prior and thought it was completely reasonable compared to whatever COMLEX form that was. besides the whole exam focusing on 2 subjects basically, I also felt like I had about 10 different questions asking the essentially the same question with similar answer choices so I either got them all right or all wrong.

Yeah, the ACGME merger is going to change things up for sure... but I don't think the COMLEX will be going away, they're doing all these changes basically to try to match the USMLE.

Check out their "New Blueprint"
http://www.nbome.org/comlex-cbt.asp?m=can
I agree with you but its just redundant... like why try to match an exam that already exists. Just let us take that exam instead of making us pay more money just so we can have a competitive residency app. I'm pro DO but things could definitely be done more efficiently, so that students weren't paying the price.

I agree with you but its just redundant... like why try to match an exam that already exists. Just let us take that exam instead of making us pay more money just so we can have a competitive residency app. I'm pro DO but things could definitely be done more efficiently, so that students weren't paying the price.

I think you mentioned a key fact in this^^......more money. I would imagine it's a pretty lucrative setup and a potentially easy continuing process. I sure wouldn't mind having the $600 back in my bank.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Did anyone else not receive a printout from Prometric that they sat for the exam? I checked my status on the NBOME website and my test status has not changed even though I took the test last week.

According to COMBANK you will comfortably pass if you are consistently scoring over a 60%. But no correlation otherwise. My average is about 20% higher on COMBANK than Uworld though so at least there's a bit of a confidence boost, even if it doesn't mean much :(.

Members don't see this ad :)
One week left! Still struggling with making my schedule for my last week. Conflicted on either focusing on my weaknesses which are supposedly low-yield for COMLEX, or do I review everythingg knowing the randomness COMLEX. Take another COMSAE? C- 388, B- 550.
Sighhh these past few weeks have been a fun journey from "I'm going to break 650 AND get 240 on Step 1!" to "Man I just really want to pass."
Good luck to everyone!

One week left! Still struggling with making my schedule for my last week. Conflicted on either focusing on my weaknesses which are supposedly low-yield for COMLEX, or do I review everythingg knowing the randomness COMLEX. Take another COMSAE? C- 388, B- 550.
Sighhh these past few weeks have been a fun journey from "I'm going to break 650 AND get 240 on Step 1!" to "Man I just really want to pass."
Good luck to everyone!
Pound on your weaknesses for 3 days then spend 3 days reviewing it all. I did my massive review in 2 so it's do-able. Use the last day to go through formulas and memory items for max 4-5 hours then take the afternoon/evening off and take a benadryl to knock out for the night.

I posted this on the 2018 study group first because I didn't realize an exclusive comlex thread exists.

What do you guys think about practice COMSAEs? I'm taking the comlex early July and I'm regretting not taking a baseline test when I started dedicated. Our school had us do a practice Kaplan full length at the beginning of dedicated. I scored around class average, 56%ish. I've been doing FA, Uworld, Pathoma and Combank. My Uworld is only around 52% and Combank is about 57%.

I know I need to bring those up and they have both been trending up. Would appreciate any advice, encouragement. Not sure if practice tests are the way to go, or just keep doing uworld.

I haven't done any COMSAE practice exams yet (with the exception of the mandatory one I took for my school) but for me I decided to start taking NBME practice exams toward the end of my studying- and I'm glad I waited. They're mainly to gage your readiness for the exam and not meant to be a learning tool. I would wait to take the practice exams until you're 'ready' and stick with UWorld for now.

I posted this on the 2018 study group first because I didn't realize an exclusive comlex thread exists.

What do you guys think about practice COMSAEs? I'm taking the comlex early July and I'm regretting not taking a baseline test when I started dedicated. Our school had us do a practice Kaplan full length at the beginning of dedicated. I scored around class average, 56%ish. I've been doing FA, Uworld, Pathoma and Combank. My Uworld is only around 52% and Combank is about 57%.

I know I need to bring those up and they have both been trending up. Would appreciate any advice, encouragement. Not sure if practice tests are the way to go, or just keep doing uworld.

started an account just to respond to this haha, yeah the june 6th exam was absolutely ridiculous. took USMLE 6 days prior and thought it was completely reasonable compared to whatever COMLEX form that was. besides the whole exam focusing on 2 subjects basically, I also felt like I had about 10 different questions asking the essentially the same question with similar answer choices so I either got them all right or all wrong.
What 2 subjects? OMM and neuro?

is there some new rule about not disclosing it? if you google previous years, people posted the breakdown & content of what they got on their test. just wondering..

Pretty sure that's not going to be disclosed. Haha

Are you serious? There is a very big difference between saying "Yeah I had a lot of Neuro and repro questions"

vs

"Oh yeah there was this one question about a patient with X presentation and the answer I picked was Y."

The former happens quite frequently on the USMLE threads, and in previous years' COMLEX threads. In fact that's largely the point of them.

Are you serious? There is a very big difference between saying "Yeah I had a lot of Neuro and repro questions"

vs

"Oh yeah there was this one question about a patient with X presentation and the answer I picked was Y."

The former happens quite frequently on the USMLE threads, and in previous years' COMLEX threads. In fact that's largely the point of them.

Ah. I stand corrected then.

I haven't done any COMSAE practice exams yet (with the exception of the mandatory one I took for my school) but for me I decided to start taking NBME practice exams toward the end of my studying- and I'm glad I waited. They're mainly to gage your readiness for the exam and not meant to be a learning tool. I would wait to take the practice exams until you're 'ready' and stick with UWorld for now.

Thanks! I guess I spent too much time reading the other thread and it seemed like everyone had done multiple tests. With less than three weeks until the test, I wasn't sure if I should be doing them.

Today was a disaster. I guessed on soooooo many questions. My version was very heavy in Pharm, Neuro (most of it not in FA), crazy off the wall OMM (no chapman points) and a mixture of everything else. I felt some sense of positivity going into the exam as I improved on every comsae I took, but today was nothing like the comsae exams. I should have saved my $200.

Reactions: 2 users
Took the test today. Very exhausting. One hour to do these 50 lengthy questions is not enough at all. Some of these OMM questions requirer at least 5 mins to do (some include media too). Somehow, I survived it...well, I can't say that yet :(

My form was neuro heavy. Had some biochem too and those were very tricky questions. Micro was straightforward for the most part and same with repro. MSK has never been a good subject for me so I can't objectively say if the questions were actually hard or if it was my perception. OMM questions were very hard. From talking to people, I was under the impression that at least 50% of the qs will be VS or Chapman points. Unfortunately, those were the minority of the OMM pool.

All in all, it was a torturous exam. I was rushing because I was worried to run out of time. In the beginning, I was marking off questions so I could come back to them later. I soon realized that there was no point of doing so because 1) I was marking every other question 2) I was never going to have time to come back to them at the end.

For my preparation, I did USMLE material exclusively. In the 3 days I had in between the exams, I went over Saverese for two days, learned the VS and Chapman points, and reviewed FA micro. I took the third day off. If I go back in time, I wouldn't change a thing because after seeing what I saw today, I don't think more studying would have improve my performance significantly.

Now the waiting begins.

Reactions: 9 users
Took the test today. Very exhausting. One hour to do these 50 lengthy questions is not enough at all. Some of these OMM questions requirer at least 5 mins to do (some include media too). Somehow, I survived it...well, I can't say that yet :(

My form was neuro heavy. Had some biochem too and those were very tricky questions. Micro was straightforward for the most part and same with repro. MSK has never been a good subject for me so I can't objectively say if the questions were actually hard or if it was my perception. OMM questions were very hard. From talking to people, I was under the impression that at least 50% of the qs will be VS or Chapman points. Unfortunately, those were the minority of the OMM pool.

All in all, it was a torturous exam. I was rushing because I was worried to run out of time. In the beginning, I was marking off questions so I could come back to them later. I soon realized that there was no point of doing so because 1) I was marking every other question 2) I was never going to have time to come back to them at the end.

For my preparation, I did USMLE material exclusively. In the 3 days I had in between the exams, I went over Saverese for two days, learned the VS and Chapman points, and reviewed FA micro. I took the third day off. If I go back in time, I wouldn't change a thing because after seeing what I saw today, I don't think more studying would have improve my performance significantly.

Now the waiting begins.

I took COMLEX today as well and sounds like we pretty much got the same exam. I hope they curve it generously. OMM and Neuro were ridiculous. One of my OMM videos I swear was like 2 minutes long and I had to watch the whole thing to get the diagnosis. What a joke.

What 2 subjects? OMM and neuro?
Yeah OMM, Neuro and OB heavy. especially anatomy that I would have never thought to have gone back and looked at since it wasnt stuff that was in FA. Tried to pull some info out of my brain from the depths of first year anatomy lab, not too sure how successful that was. and like LittleFoot said above, the OMM was from a different planet. The test writers and the Saverese guy must have had a falling out because there were very few questions that you could get right from that book lol.

It feels like they purposely want us to hate OMM even more than we already do. Well they got it

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah OMM, Neuro and OB heavy. especially anatomy that I would have never thought to have gone back and looked at since it wasnt stuff that was in FA. Tried to pull some info out of my brain from the depths of first year anatomy lab, not too sure how successful that was. and like LittleFoot said above, the OMM was from a different planet. The test writers and the Saverese guy must have had a falling out because there were very few questions that you could get right from that book lol.
It's so freaking ridiculous. Any sources that you can identify that were more helpful than others?

Best of luck with waiting for your scores man, I hope you get what you were aiming for.

would you recommend buying COMAT OMM or level 2CE question banks to get more practice for OMM & neuro?
Save your money
It's so freaking ridiculous. Any sources that you can identify that were more helpful than others?
I doubt that there is any source out there can prepare you for this sh*tty exam. Many of my friends who also use Combank/Comquest said they weren't any helpful either. I think they know that everyone is using FA and Savarese to prepare for it, so they may purposely wrote questions that contain no information from there. You can only hope to get 400 or above so that you can give middle fingers to this test.

Save your money

I doubt that there is any source out there can prepare you for this sh*tty exam. Many of my friends who also use Combank/Comquest said they weren't any helpful either. I think they know that everyone is using FA and Savarese to prepare for it, so they may purposely wrote questions that contain no information from there. You can only hope to get 400 or above so that you can give middle fingers to this test.
if you saw earlier in the thread, there was a case of someone scoring 750(!!) on a COMSAE that later failed the real thing. It seems as if any student, even the best prepared, even those scoring well on USMLE, are at some risk for failing...

I sense that the wave of anxiety is rising steadily. As a measure of reassurance, here's my observation regarding the format of the new fantastical OMM questions:
  1. You will see OMM videos from which interpretation of the diagnosis/test being presented is required to answer the question
    Make sure you have the headphone on, sometimes they say "Ow" or "It hurts doc"

2. Instead of written description for the location of Chapman point or tender point, up to 4-5 photos are given.

3. Instead of written description for a treatment setup, as commonly seen on Combank, a bunch of photos is shown

4. The length of the OMM stem can be exceedingly long - a big chunk of patient Hx and a list of random OMM somatic dysfunction in different regions.
    The question will be about one of those diagnosis. I'd suggest you skim through the answer choice first, then cherry-pick through the overloaded background info of the stem.
    I had a session with more than 10 of this question style. I just sat there and chuckled. The exam proctor had to enter the room and kinda strolled behind me to see whether I needed a young priest and an old priest.
As I spider-walked myself out of the room later, I realized that I had to pee really bad since I barely finished the sessions on time.

x4KbgZq.gif

Reactions: 7 users
if you saw earlier in the thread, there was a case of someone scoring 750(!!) on a COMSAE that later failed the real thing. It seems as if any student, even the best prepared, even those scoring well on USMLE, are at some risk for failing...
I got a 710 on my school administered COMSAE E and I wouldn't be at all surprised if I dropped 200+ points.

Some question stems were so long that they were compelled to include a note on the top saying to make sure to scroll down to read the entire question.

Reactions: 5 users
It sounds like length on USMLE vs COMLEX is opposite of length on UWorld vs Combank... ugh.

Never done Combank so I can't comment, but most of the questions on COMLEX are either equal in length or longer than the USMLE. To be fair, though, USMLE questions are more intellectually challenging and this can compensate for the relatively shorter stems. However, having to do 10 more questions per block and enduring some of those detail-oriented OMM questions makes it nearly impossible to finish COMLEX block with enough time to revisit the marked questions.

Hey everyone... I've followed these threads for a while and I'm posting for the first time. My Comlex is this friday

COMBank score: 72% (some questions I've done several times, 200 new questions remain)
COMBANK assessment January: 76% converts to around 600 on comlex
COMBANK assessment May 82% converts to around 640 on comlex

COMSAE D at school (April 27: 549)
COMSAE C (June 10: 528... very disappointing after 2 months of study... mostly for the USMLE, which I will take on Jun 27. Taking out the UWSA's/NBOME info for this thread)

Taking COMSAE B tomorrow as the final round up before the test on Friday. Hoping for a better performance. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I realize my performances are somewhat erratic.

Took COMLEX today as well. I am basically speechless. I am glad I am not the only one that feels this way. I was thinking during the exam that like I am vastly vastly vastly under prepared for this. Studying for USMLE did not equate to studying for this IMO. So much minutiae.

In addition to what was said above, my test had typos that were extremely frustrating. Test environment was kinda annoying and had an unfortunate night of poor sleep. I had to bypass breaks because of time crunch (I am historically a slow test taker).

I walked out of COMLEX feeling probably worse than I did walking out of USMLE (did not think that was possible). Maybe it's because I had relatively better expectations for COMLEX (I was foolishly thinking it would be easier than USMLE and I would probably preform better having had the USMLE experience, etc).

I wonder if they will actually curve. Does anyone know if they will?

Like that was absolutely ridiculous. "Easy" questions were hard because I either didn't know it or because the answer choices available were not good. Such long stems, videos, pointless details, micro heavy (and IMO not that First Aid or even Sketchy Friendly), i don't even know anymore.

Curve would help, wondering how many questions out of 400 needed to pass.

Hey everyone... I've followed these threads for a while and I'm posting for the first time. My Comlex is this friday

COMBank score: 72% (some questions I've done several times, 200 new questions remain)
COMBANK assessment January: 76% converts to around 600 on comlex
COMBANK assessment May 82% converts to around 640 on comlex

COMSAE D at school (April 27: 549)
COMSAE C (June 10: 528... very disappointing after 2 months of study... mostly for the USMLE, which I will take on Jun 27. Taking out the UWSA's/NBOME info for this thread)

Taking COMSAE B tomorrow as the final round up before the test on Friday. Hoping for a better performance. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I realize my performances are somewhat erratic.

No advice (I'm taking it Thursday)-- but where did you get the COMBANK assessment correlation info? I haven't been able to find any.

No advice (I'm taking it Thursday)-- but where did you get the COMBANK assessment correlation info? I haven't been able to find any.

Just going on to the NBOME website and seeing when the percentiles meet with the actual scores. For example if you type in a score... say 600... you will see a percentile score of 79. Just type in numbers until the actual score meets up with the percentile score.

Took COMLEX today as well. I am basically speechless. I am glad I am not the only one that feels this way. I was thinking during the exam that like I am vastly vastly vastly under prepared for this. Studying for USMLE did not equate to studying for this IMO. So much minutiae.

In addition to what was said above, my test had typos that were extremely frustrating. Test environment was kinda annoying and had an unfortunate night of poor sleep. I had to bypass breaks because of time crunch (I am historically a slow test taker).

I walked out of COMLEX feeling probably worse than I did walking out of USMLE (did not think that was possible). Maybe it's because I had relatively better expectations for COMLEX (I was foolishly thinking it would be easier than USMLE and I would probably preform better having had the USMLE experience, etc).

I wonder if they will actually curve. Does anyone know if they will?

Like that was absolutely ridiculous. "Easy" questions were hard because I either didn't know it or because the answer choices available were not good. Such long stems, videos, pointless details, micro heavy (and IMO not that First Aid or even Sketchy Friendly), i don't even know anymore.

Curve would help, wondering how many questions out of 400 needed to pass.

Depending on the scores, they may need to curve. They can't have many people failing the test. Historically, ~95% pass the test so I don't think this will change dramatically this year. Let's just hope we aren't among the unfortunate 5% who fail.

It's way past time for a revolt against the COMLEX. Our generation needs to change this madness, even if it is too late for us.
Nah, if I endured it, my successors have to endure it as well.

JK. I agree, we need to do something about it. Not so much about COMLEX itself but about the fact that we have to take two exams. This is ridiculous. How the hell is one supposed to study and stay focused for one exam 3 days after taking the other one? I'm still suffering the fatigue of USMLE, much less the one from COMLEX. I seriously need a vacation. Too bad, my surgical rotation starts on Monday.

I took the USMLE yesterday and felt absolutely destroyed. I took every NBME exam and UWSA and had a universal average of like a 254. That's what, over 1500 assessment questions giving me a very narrow consistent grade, and yet yesterdays USMLE had me leaving considering other career options - I never felt that devastated before.

And now this friggin COMLEX is on friday, and I don't know what the hell to do first. I'm good with all the diagnoses, VSR's, and chapman points. What the hell else am I supposed to do? Sounds like these COMSAE's aren't predictive.

My school made us take the COMSAE D in the beginning of May and scored a 642 before dedicated.

Idk how to approach this, and I'm mentally and emotionally destroyed from yesterday's USMLE...

I took the USMLE yesterday and felt absolutely destroyed. I took every NBME exam and UWSA and had a universal average of like a 254. That's what, over 1500 assessment questions giving me a very narrow consistent grade, and yet yesterdays USMLE had me leaving considering other career options - I never felt that devastated before.

And now this friggin COMLEX is on friday, and I don't know what the hell to do first. I'm good with all the diagnoses, VSR's, and chapman points. What the hell else am I supposed to do? Sounds like these COMSAE's aren't predictive.

My school made us take the COMSAE D in the beginning of May and scored a 642 before dedicated.

Idk how to approach this, and I'm mentally and emotionally destroyed from yesterday's USMLE...

You may do horrible on the test, but chances, with this COMSAE score, that you'll do better than most people, so you'll still end up with a significantly above average score. Just read Saverese and try to relax. It's imperative that you take the day before the test off and enjoy it. The best preparation you can have for this test is being well rested, physically and psychologically.

I was extremely fatigued after my USMLE as well and had 3 days between USMLE and COMLEX. I know it's hard to do, but really just try to take a quick break (i.e. half day-full day) before diving into the OMM study. I think being well rested for that exam is far more important than any kind of OMM cramming you can do. The classic "70% of the OMM is Viscerosomatics and Chapman points" is no longer true imo. There really is no way to prepare for the OMM they throw at you. Take solace in that pretty much everyone else is missing them too (or so I hope).

Definitely still memorize those Viscerosomatics and Chapman points though in your next couple days as they will still consist of a considerable amount of the OMM questions on the COMLEX (my guess would be 30-40% of OMM questions).

Last edited:
After interviewing over 100 students who just took COMLEX, here is what you should cram for if you are in struggle mode:

1. Reportable Diseases. My best friend in school has a YouTube channel where they come up with these dirty mnemonics and honestly, I would have gotten at least 10 questions wrong without his material. It's NSFW but here ya go:

2. Inheritance Pattern of diseases. Know this cold.

3. Neurology. Mine felt like a Neuro test with OMM and random questions scattered in

4. DO NOT know Biostats. Maybe it was just me, but I had only 2 "Biostats" questions. Felt disappointed b/c they're free points

5. DO NOT stress about Biochem. It's an absolute joke on COMLEX. They're like "which enzyme good?"

EDIT: I wanted to add a more complete list, because I originally posted this from school so let's really get in depth here--

6. Hardly any Cardiology. One question where you had to listen to a heart sound.

7. Lots of bugs & drugs -- if you did Sketchy and the drugs in FA, you're golden.

8. Fair amount of Endo and Repro. I'd say the overall pecking order was Neuro > OMM > Bugs/Drugs >> MSK/Anatomy > Endo/Repro > All Else

Bottom Line--
COMLEX is a test that has 2 types of questions, (1) ridiculously easy where you don't even have to think about it and just pick the correct answer and (2) so vague and poorly written [from the perspective of an illiterate 3rd grader] that your only shot at getting it right is based on a total guess. There are enough easy questions to pass with ease, but I suspect the variance is very wide (moreso than USMLE). Honestly, the difference between an average and incredible score could be on your ability to guess on the vague BS questions. I've said it before and I'll say it again, everybody should take USMLE because you could conceivably do poorly on COMLEX, not because you don't know the content, but because you're unable to extract information from the awful question stems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 11 users