Official 2016-2017 Anesthesia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not sure how this works. Do schools send out one mass email to everyone they are inviting for first round interviews? Do they do a certain number every few days? Basically, should I be worried if a school I was very interested in has sent out invites and I didn't get one?

I think it depends on the program. For example, I think if you didn't get a NYU invite then you probably won't get one. I noticed that all of their interview dates on thalamus through Feb are pretty much full. However, other schools using thalamus still have a lot of empty slots so I'm assuming they'll be inviting more as app cycle goes on. That being said, I dunno if they create more interview dates for different batches either. Basically talking out of my ass.

Of note, in 2015 only about 17% of programs sent out interviews before Oct 1st so it's still really early guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
So what seems to be the general consensus about programs electing to not interview you... Will most places just send an email saying their seats are filled after interview season is over or do they typically send a rejection notice (like wake forest)?

That moment when 1/3 of the programs you applied to have already sent out interview invite, and your email is empty... Haha

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you look at the spreadsheet from last year it should calm your fears a bit. It helped mine.

Reactions: 1 user
So what seems to be the general consensus about programs electing to not interview you... Will most places just send an email saying their seats are filled after interview season is over or do they typically send a rejection notice (like wake forest)?

Very variable, some programs sent out a "all our interview spots are full" some sent out a rejection and some said nothing. There is no uniform consensus.

Am I the only one that doesn't understand why all programs don't just use ERAS to schedule interviews? Emailing the residency coordinator is such an inefficient process for scheduling and rescheduling interviews for BOTH parties involved! Smh..

Reactions: 1 users
Am I the only one that doesn't understand why all programs don't just use ERAS to schedule interviews? Emailing the residency coordinator is such an inefficient process for scheduling and rescheduling interviews for BOTH parties involved! Smh..

I thin Thalamus is actually better cause it allows you to hold an interview spot and request a waitlist spot. ERAS you either have a spot or request waitlists. You can't do both to try to switch days.

My application is still incomplete because one of my letters hasn't been uploaded yet. Kind of stressed because I assume this is only hurting my chances. Gotten a few interviews so far. It's actually a chair letter and they just tell me they'll upload it as soon as they are done.

Montefiore is accepting IVs for 2018 (categorical) and 2019 (advanced).
What are you guys gonna do 2017-2018?

Members don't see this ad :)
No. I called the program coordinator and confirmed. She said their program gets booked 2 years in advance.
Even on Freida it says they are not accepting applications for 2017-2018, but for 2018-2019

No. I called the program coordinator and confirmed. She said their program gets booked 2 years in advance.
Even on Freida it says they are not accepting applications for 2017-2018, but for 2018-2019
so what do residents that match there do for the year in between

#notworthit

i don't get it. are all the montefiore interview invitations for July 2018? wut? how does that work? you match and then wait a year and start?
hard to wrap my mind around. some of my friends have gotten interviews there and don't seem to have any knowledge about this.. everyone is assuming it's for starting on july 2017

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-03%20at%2016.51.08.png

So I called the office and was told they are offering interviews for all spots and that you decide categorical vs advanced when you rank if you applied for both tracks. Pretty much the same as all other programs that have both tracks. That does not line up with what is listed on FREIDA or the email however.

So I called the office and was told they are offering interviews for all spots and that you decide categorical vs advanced when you rank if you applied for both tracks. Pretty much the same as all other programs that have both tracks. That does not line up with what is listed on FREIDA or the email however.
OK. Though that's not what the program coordinator told me. Oh well

NRMP doesn't allow for matching two years in advance unless it's an advanced position, like many programs offer. Occasionally, programs will defer start dates a year if something comes up (like family emergencies...) but this is an entirely separate discussion.

Man, I just got got a pre-interview rejection from Wake Forest. This sucks, because it was one of my top choices.

I'm not sure why I was screened out, either. I thought my STEP1 score (248) would at least buy me an interview...

Has anyone gotten an II?

Oh wow, I didn't see that at all. You're right, I haven't sent my step2 score since I took it late.

Thanks for pointing that out! Maybe I can send my step2 and beg for an interview..

Oh wow, I didn't see that at all. You're right, I haven't sent my step2 score since I took it late.

Thanks for pointing that out! Maybe I can send my step2 and beg for an interview..
I don't see why not. I hope that works for you!

Also this post has me thinking this could be a good place to ask. Do you all know if any programs want only 3 letters and no more? (Like, they explicitly say not to send more) I have tried to pour over the website of all the programs I applied to and haven't found any.

Last edited:
I don't see why not. I hope that works for you!

Also this post has me thinking this could be a good place to ask. Do you all know if any programs want only 3 letters and no more? (Like, they explicitly say not to send more) I have tried to pour over the website of all the programs I applied to and haven't found any.

I talked to a PD where their website had said 3 letters and I asked about sending 4. The PD said that it really didn't matter and they would more than likely end up looking at all 4 or at least skimming them as long as it wasn't super long. My guess would be that if programs would only look at 3 and if there was an extra the worst that would happen would be that they just wouldn't read the last one or whatever. just my $.02

Question for people who got an NYU invite: did you also get a separate invite to interview for a prelim year spot? I did not
I have heard nothing from all the prelim year places I applied to and am not sure if I should be worried.
Is there a separate thread for anesthesia people applying to prelim medicine years?

Question for people who got an NYU invite: did you also get a separate invite to interview for a prelim year spot? I did not
I have heard nothing from all the prelim year places I applied to and am not sure if I should be worried.
Is there a separate thread for anesthesia people applying to prelim medicine years?
Yeah there is another thread going under the internship page. It is not limited to anesthesia applicants. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...onal-year-interview-thread-2016-2017.1222021/

They will tell you at he interview that you are interviewing for the prelim spot as well. I think 5 people get it each year

Now that some programs are using the ERAS calendar to schedule interviews, it is not longer possible to change dates?

Now that some programs are using the ERAS calendar to schedule interviews, it is not longer possible to change dates?
You can change dates and join waitlists for unavailable days through the ERAS Interview Invitations tab. Super easy.

When should one panic about not hearing from programs about being invited for interviews, anyone know? I only have 2 interviews- home school and where I did an away...and 1 wait listed...

When should one panic about not hearing from programs about being invited for interviews, anyone know? I only have 2 interviews- home school and where I did an away...and 1 wait listed...

Still fairly early, we've only had our first interview. And still working through the maintain of applications.

Our dean told me if I don't have 10 interviews by thanksgiving then we needed to regroup and develop a plan.

I hear you though... I received 2 interviews before the deans letter even came out and have only gotten once since. At that, I didn't reply immediately to the email and as a result was subsequently placed on a waiting list the following day. It's a nerve racking process. Hang in there, bud!

After a 2 week period with no interviews, I just got an offer from Columbia! I'm so happy right now!

Reactions: 4 users
FYIY: I received an invite at my top choice/where I eventually matched on 10/24. It's by no means too late.

Did anyone see that UC Davis is not offering Advanced Anesthesia training when you look on ERAS now? If you look at Programs applied to in ERAS it says the program isn't being offered as of 10/14, but you can go in and add Categorical Anesthesia

Transitional/prelim spots don't seem to be giving out many interviews. I have 1 transitional program invite....

Well they know that most anesthesia programs moved to categorical

Reactions: 1 user
Heard close to zip from the CA programs. I am not from the area, but would like to move there for family reasons. Not sure what to think at this point...

Our dean told me if I don't have 10 interviews by thanksgiving then we needed to regroup and develop a plan.

I hear you though... I received 2 interviews before the deans letter even came out and have only gotten once since. At that, I didn't reply immediately to the email and as a result was subsequently placed on a waiting list the following day. It's a nerve racking process. Hang in there, bud!

That's maybe reassuring? Hahaha. I just would like some communication. Msilence for two weeks so far...I'm gettin anxiety my application is like incomplete or not sending, lol.

I'm making the decision to only rank categorical programs. Do I withdraw from the advanced spots that I applied to, or do I just ignore the adv and rank only categorical positions when submitting my list? I guess, how do I let programs know that I'm now only interested in categorical or does it even matter? Thank you.

I'm making the decision to only rank categorical programs. Do I withdraw from the advanced spots that I applied to, or do I just ignore the adv and rank only categorical positions when submitting my list? I guess, how do I let programs know that I'm now only interested in categorical or does it even matter? Thank you.

Just let them know the day of the interview. Do not accept any invitations to interview at advanced positions - if they have a categorical program then ask (most interview for both at the same time), otherwise I would decline.

It seems as though many places are yet to send out interviews. Any idea when do Baylor/UW/BethIsrael send out IVs?

It seems as though many places are yet to send out interviews. Any idea when do Baylor/UW/BethIsrael send out IVs?

They have all started sending out invites. Beth isreal has very few dates on Thalumus. UW and Baylor are e-mail requests for dates.

What is the etiquette regarding cancelling an interview? If they are on Thalamus, do you just take yourself off the calendar, or is it required that you contact the program coordinator and program director? How much time in advance is considered acceptable?