USMLE Official 2015 Step 1 Planning and Strategy Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Transposony

Do or do not, There is no try
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title says it all.
Let's discuss our strategy to conquer this beast in 2015.
I believe this deserves a separate thread instead of cluttering up the Official Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread as wells as people creating separate threads to ask questions about this topic.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, MS1 here. Do you guys recommend I buy any step 1 resources now, or should I wait until the end of the year/ early next year when pathoma comes out with different subjects? Thanks

You should have a copy of FA to follow along with coursework. Last year I read the wikipedia article or something similar for anything mentioned in FA that wasn't covered in class. For example, our school doesn't teach porphyrias or glycogen storage diseases. I wouldn't have known they existed if not for FA.

Also just focus on doing well in classes. I learned MS1 stuff really well and it is definitely helping me a lot this year.

Reactions: 1 user
Can anyone give me a rundown of Uworld (how many q's per block, how many total?, how many blocks per day you'd recommend?). I'm trying to decide if I should get my subscription 60 or 90 days out and which old allow me to get, as a bare minimum, through it all once plus incorrect a 2nd time. Exam early June.

Can anyone give me a rundown of Uworld (how many q's per block, how many total?, how many blocks per day you'd recommend?). I'm trying to decide if I should get my subscription 60 or 90 days out and which old allow me to get, as a bare minimum, through it all once plus incorrect a 2nd time. Exam early June.

There are 46 questions in a block with a 1 hour time limit. How long it takes to complete a block and review it is entirely dependent on the person. Some can manage to finish a block and review it all in ~1.5 hours while others can take 4-5 hours a block. Only way to know how long it takes you is to try doing a few blocks.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are 46 questions in a block with a 1 hour time limit. How long it takes to complete a block and review it is entirely dependent on the person. Some can manage to finish a block and review it all in ~1.5 hours while others can take 4-5 hours a block. Only way to know how long it takes you is to try doing a few blocks.
You happen to know how many blocks? I imagine I'll be somewhere in the middle, like 3 hours per block and I figure 2 blocks a day. Are there somewhere around 40 blocks?

You happen to know how many blocks? I imagine I'll be somewhere in the middle, like 3 hours per block and I figure 2 blocks a day. Are there somewhere around 40 blocks?

FA says UW has 2200 questions, so yeah about 48 blocks.

Members don't see this ad :)
My idea was do:
  • USMLERx 50 Qs/day and make anki cards on stuff I got wrong (will finish this early March)
  • DIT workbook course everyday and go two full times through Uworld (March till end of May)
  • Test early June
Alternative would be:
  • USMLERx 50 Qs per day (now till March 7)
  • USMLEConsult Qs everyday (plan to finish by early April)
  • Go two full times through UWorld everyday from early/mid April to end of May
  • Test early June

Not sure if I will get more out of doing DIT or an extra Qbank. What do you think? A lot peeps at my school do DIT, but its pretty expensive. I think I would rather just go through an extra Qbank instead.
Our classes/final exams end April 24.

My idea was do:
  • USMLERx 50 Qs/day and make anki cards on stuff I got wrong (will finish this early March)
  • DIT workbook course everyday and go two full times through Uworld (March till end of May)
  • Test early June
Alternative would be:
  • USMLERx 50 Qs per day (now till March 7)
  • USMLEConsult Qs everyday (plan to finish by early April)
  • Go two full times through UWorld everyday from early/mid April to end of May
  • Test early June

Not sure if I will get more out of doing DIT or an extra Qbank. What do you think? A lot peeps at my school do DIT, but its pretty expensive. I think I would rather just go through an extra Qbank instead.
Our classes/final exams end April 24.
Always a good idea to do extra Qs than DIT.
Not sure about USMLEConsult QB though since have not done it for Step 1 but did for Step 2CK and gave up as it had tons of mistakes.
What about doing time tested Kaplan QB or the new kid in town-Becker QB?

Always a good idea to do extra Qs than DIT.
Not sure about USMLEConsult QB though since have not done it for Step 1 but did for Step 2CK and gave up as it had tons of mistakes.
What about doing time tested Kaplan QB or the new kid in town-Becker QB?
I mean I could do Becker QB or Kaplan. But you said something about DIT over extra questions. Did you like DIT for Step I?

I mean I could do Becker QB or Kaplan. But you said something about DIT over extra questions. Did you like DIT for Step I?
I find DIT a waste of money, never did it and never will. But then, everyone has a different learning style. So YMMV.
The only time I would recommend it is for people who lack motivation or aren't disciplined enough to read & understand FA themselves.

I was kind of on the anti-DIT boat for a while too (expensive, I can read FA myself, etc), but after going through the Cardiology videos I think I would recommend it to most people. It's kind of like recommending USMLE Rx instead of just reading FA over and over again. Yeah, DIT basically reads FA too you, but they also organize it a little differently, emphasize certain things, and provide a different media to learn from.

I'm the type of person who learns best from multiple resources and/or by having the same resource presented to me in different ways. Anytime you go through a resource on your own, you get out of it what you think is most important because you will obviously pay closer attention to those things. When someone else presents that same resource to you, you get to hear/see/read what they think is most important and often they provide a different viewpoint on the same concepts.

A really simple example is during the DIT vasculitis video, the guy emphasizes that polyarteritis nodosa is ANCA negative. We all know the c-ANCA and p-ANCA associations and the fact that neither of them is a/w PAN, but having someone explicitly state it is a lot different than just subconsciously knowing it.

So it's absolutely not a necessary resource, but I don't think DIT is useful only if you are unmotivated or undisciplined (like I used to think).

I find DIT a waste of money, never did it and never will. But then, everyone has a different learning style. So YMMV.
The only time I would recommend it is for people who lack motivation or aren't disciplined enough to read & understand FA themselves.

I was kind of on the anti-DIT boat for a while too (expensive, I can read FA myself, etc), but after going through the Cardiology videos I think I would recommend it to most people. It's kind of like recommending USMLE Rx instead of just reading FA over and over again. Yeah, DIT basically reads FA too you, but they also organize it a little differently, emphasize certain things, and provide a different media to learn from.

I'm the type of person who learns best from multiple resources and/or by having the same resource presented to me in different ways. Anytime you go through a resource on your own, you get out of it what you think is most important because you will obviously pay closer attention to those things. When someone else presents that same resource to you, you get to hear/see/read what they think is most important and often they provide a different viewpoint on the same concepts.

A really simple example is during the DIT vasculitis video, the guy emphasizes that polyarteritis nodosa is ANCA negative. We all know the c-ANCA and p-ANCA associations and the fact that neither of them is a/w PAN, but having someone explicitly state it is a lot different than just subconsciously knowing it.

So it's absolutely not a necessary resource, but I don't think DIT is useful only if you are unmotivated or undisciplined (like I used to think).

Ok, thanks. One question I did have was how early did people start DIT? Like when do you start the Primer, then Part I then Part II. I guess Part II won't come out till early March.

I talked to an M3 and he said he started it end of April when they finished their final class NBME subject exams and he did all of it along with Uworld everyday. I think I'd probably want to start it a lot earlier, though.

Hey all, I'm a current M2 in the Caribbean and I have a few questions if anyone can help me out a bit.

So I am planning on taking the STEP in about mid-July and am trying to make a study schedule, but having some trouble figuring it out as I have to balance studying for class and for the STEP (although there is obviously overlap). At the moment I'm taking pharm and pathophys so I was thinking that I would keep up with pharm class and put extra focus on the drugs that are in FA. In terms of the rest, I was thinking that I would follow the pathophys schedule of organ systems and use FA, pathoma and UWorld for each. Is this too simplified or do I need to focus in more? I'm just confused cause it seems like such a loose schedule but what do any of you think?

If this matters:
GPA: 94
Goal: 250+

If anyone could help me out or throw some resources at me that would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

I think that would be more than enough until you start dedicated. I tried doing what you did and got really stressed out/started falling behind so I'm doing much less until I start dedicated (in May--step mid June). I am only reviewing four drugs per day and doing DIT primer series.. Basically 45 minutes dedicated to boards per day. I'd say you're doing plenty if you can do that and keep up in class.

Step 1 – Delay in score reporting and change in number of test items

Most score reporting of Step 1 results occurs within four weeks of testing. However, because of necessary modifications to the test item pool, there will be a delay in reporting for some examinees who test beginning the week of May 11th.
The target date for reporting Step 1 scores for most examinees testing the week of May 11th through late June will be Wednesday, July 8, 2015. For examinees whose circumstances require that they receive Step 1 scores before July 8, it is recommended that they take Step 1 no later than Friday, May 8, 2015.
During this time period (starting the week of May 11th), a transition will occur in the number of items in current forms of the Step 1 examination. The change will be from a total of 322 items to 308 items. Although the transition will occur quickly at many test centers, there may be some locations where the changes take slightly longer to complete. The overall transition period will likely last approximately 6 weeks. Please note the following:
• Scores on new and old forms will be comparable; the decrease in the number of items per form will be accounted for in scoring the examination results.
• The length of the examination day will remain unchanged. The test day will continue to be divided into seven 60-minute blocks, administered in one seven-hour testing session.
• The number of items per block will decrease from 46 to 44. There will be a total of 308 items on each examination.

I'm planning on buying a few NBME and it gives different timing options- which one should we choose? Also how do these tests work?- is it like Uworld where you can go back and review them whenever you want to?

I'm planning on buying a few NBME and it gives different timing options- which one should we choose? Also how do these tests work?- is it like Uworld where you can go back and review them whenever you want to?
I've only done the extended feedback option. You start the exam and it gives you 1hr/block. At the end you can review you incorrects but they don't show the correct answer. I do not believe you have access to your correct answers

As a sidenote, what do you guys who have taken Step 1 already or taken multiple NBMEs think about the older practice tests. The one I took seemed really easy.

any particular order that people recommend taking the NBME's in? Are there any currently available that we should avoid?

Can anyone offer advice for a 5 week schedule? I'm planning on doing a standard "UFAP" but can't find a good schedule that (1) incorporates all of FA and Pathoma and (2) is broken down into a day-by-day pattern. Any advice?

Guys looking for some input about the first week of prep.

Our school makes us take an NBME on the last day of the semester (which happens to be this coming Thursday). Our final exam for for GI is on Monday so basically we have 3 days to prep for the NBME.

That Monday also is the first day of my dedicated prep time and I'm looking for advice on what organ systems to cover on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Our score on the NBME is calculated into our class rank. What 3 organ systems (1 each day) do you think would be the most worthwhile to go through assuming I feel equally strong/weak in everything? I plan on reading FA and then doing 1-2 blocks of UW on random each day.

Cardiovascular > Renal > Hematology and Oncology > Reproductive > Endocrine

Cardiovascular > Renal > Hematology and Oncology > Reproductive > Endocrine

Nice. Pretty much exactly what I was thinking.

Respiratory or Psych next? Respiratory probably higher yield, but psych I feel like is a know it or don't know it.. hard to reason through anything psych based.

Last edited:
3 days left; how do I finish strong? I feel like I know nothing about embryo, and I haven't gone beyond FA for any of the topics that have recently shown up disproportionately (eg pelvic anatomy). My only plans so far were to review some bug/drug minutiae.

Nice. Pretty much exactly what I was thinking.

Respiratory or Psych next? Respiratory probably higher yield, but psych I feel like is a know it or don't know it.. hard to reason through anything psych based.
I would do bits and pieces from Neuro, MSK & GI. Lot of HY anatomy in these three.
I wouldn't worry about Psych at this stage. If you still have time left then go through Rapid Review at the end.

3 days left; how do I finish strong? I feel like I know nothing about embryo, and I haven't gone beyond FA for any of the topics that have recently shown up disproportionately (eg pelvic anatomy). My only plans so far were to review some bug/drug minutiae.
As long as you have done FA well these last 3 days you should just chill/sleep/eat well while listening to your favorite Goljan music album. You have prepared for it the best you could and now is the time to have faith in yourself.
No one can prepare for WTF Qs which you will definitely get on your test. They are just there to test your resolve, so don't be swayed by them.

As long as you have done FA well these last 3 days you should just chill/sleep/eat well while listening to your favorite Goljan music album. You have prepared for it the best you could and now is the time to have faith in yourself.
No one can prepare for WTF Qs which you will definitely get on your test. They are just there to test your resolve, so don't be swayed by them.
Thank you for the advice! One last question - is there a way to sort out the Kaplan or Rx qbank questions with CT/xray/MRI images only? For Kaplan I know you can specify multimedia only, but I would definitely benefit from glancing over the imaging questions too if it were possible...

Thank you for the advice! One last question - is there a way to sort out the Kaplan or Rx qbank questions with CT/xray/MRI images only? For Kaplan I know you can specify multimedia only, but I would definitely benefit from glancing over the imaging questions too if it were possible...
I haven't done these QBanks so I won't be able to comment.
maybe someone else can chime in?

I'm a little confused about how most people take practice NBMEs... I was thinking of taking the three most recent NBMEs, along with the two COMSAEs that our school buys for us with our tuition money. Do most students get the expanded feedback? Is the free 150 also really useful?

and just to confirm, step 1 practice is the CBSSA forms, right?