Official 2015 Rank Order List Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yep. It takes thought and effort to produce something meaningful. This is why many of us encourage people to post their impressions after they interview.

It's hard to take this view and not feel old. I have a hunch the Residency Interview thread will become something akin to letters (to the young- these are pieces of paper that someone dear and far went to a fair bit of trouble to produce that would elicit a certain reciprocal warmth when the recipient tore it open. It's like... no, it's not really like anything else).

And MLT2MT2DO- please feel free to post your ROL. My comment wasn't to entice people to post less, it was to have them pony up and post on threads that a lot of people found very helpful when deciding where to interview at all. Folks would look over several years of these threads. The ROL comes close to "I'll show you mine if you show me yours" and the fact that Joe ranked Acme above Southwestern is not going to be influencing folks decisions a couple years from now.

One could argue that its a good thing people don't base their decision on where to interview based on someone's impression from 6 hours at a program trying to recruit them a few years ago.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
1) UTSW
2) San Mateo County
3) Baylor
4) Stanford
5) Wisconsin-Madison
6) Colorado
7) Michigan
8) Vanderbilt
9) OHSU
10) Northwestern
11) U Chicago
12) UTMB

Based my list pretty much entirely on location (both I and my fiance are from the Dallas area) and the ability to get solid clinical training since I have no interest in academics without getting worked to death. I stayed away from NYC, Boston, LA, etc. as living in a big city is a nightmare to me (Houston is the biggest I was willing to go). My list is pretty lacking in the "prestigious programs" department because of that but I'm very happy with all of the programs I interviewed at, and with the exception of UTMB I would have no problem with any of those programs.

Really? Why? I would have killed to have gotten an interview there.

Really? Why? I would have killed to have gotten an interview there.

Just really wasn't impressed with the program at all. I still ranked it because I'd rather go there than not match, but I was considering not ranking it. The PD was nice enough but that was just about the most positive experience there I had. Also wasn't too keen on having to drive to Houston for some rotations.

Members don't see this ad :)
bump....

For silent reads you guys can jump in and write ur certified rank lists...doesn't matter if its bad or good program...it will give us an idea how everyone opted to rank programs

Reactions: 1 user
My ROL:
1-HSS
2-Mayo
3-Tufts
4-Rutgers
5-Drexel
6-UT
7-DMC
8-SIU
9-SUNY Downstate
10-St.Elizabeth Medical center
Even though it was a bit risky for an IMG but I didn't rank two other programs.

1. UCLA-NPI
2. Mount Sinai - Icahn
3. Vanderbilt
4. UCLA - Harbor
5. Johns Hopkins
6. UC Davis
7. Einstein/Montefiore
8. Emory
9. Maryland/Sheppard-Pratt
10. UNC
11. Duke
12. UIC
13. UC Irvine
14. CCF

Wow. Looking at my list like this surprises me a bit. Couples matching will do that to you I guess.

My ROL:
1-HSS
2-Mayo
3-Tufts
4-Rutgers
5-Drexel
6-UT
7-DMC
8-SIU
9-SUNY Downstate

Is it UT-Houston or UT-Memphis? I interviewed at both

1. UCLA-NPI
2. Mount Sinai - Icahn
3. Vanderbilt
4. UCLA - Harbor
5. Johns Hopkins
6. UC Davis
7. Einstein/Montefiore
8. Emory
10. UNC
11. Duke
12. UIC
13. UC Irvine
14. CCF

Wow. Looking at my list like this surprises me a bit. Couples matching will do that to you I guess.

I ranked Duke highly. Couple matching explains why u ranked it lower

I ranked Duke highly. Couple matching explains why u ranked it lower

lol there is more than one reason someone would choose to rank Duke low. Do they still work 6 11hr days a week on inpatient psych or have they wised up yet?

lol there is more than one reason someone would choose to rank Duke low. Do they still work 6 11hr days a week on inpatient psych or have they wised up yet?

yes it is still malignant...residents were very open n direct and said if u cannot work then this program is not right for u..said its different than most psyc programs and very busy

1. UCLA-NPI
2. Mount Sinai - Icahn
3. Vanderbilt
4. UCLA - Harbor
5. Johns Hopkins
6. UC Davis
7. Einstein/Montefiore
8. Emory
10. UNC
11. Duke
12. UIC
13. UC Irvine
14. CCF

I like your top 6! They certainly deserve it. NPI, Harbor, Hopkins, Davis... all super solid.

My rationale:
1:
Who gives a flying f*ck about the program... It's all about location. You want to be at a place where you will be happy. Yes, you don't want to be at a program that is falling apart , but if the basic elements of an average psych program appear to be present, it's all about if you will be in a location where you can feel like you can thrive.
If you hate the cold and have family (that you would like to be near) in Cali, I don't care if a program in Chicago has the best Child Anorexia Trichotilimania clinic/research, you probably should rank it low. IMO at least
I spent a lot of time trying to convince myself to like some of the cities I interviewed at. As a bearded South Asian, will I feel at home in Louisville? Memphis? Spokane?
2: I'm self motivated; so I should be able to make the best of my situation anywhere, right? Right?? ....RIGHT?

...I changed my list on the last day on impulse and took the advice I should have probably taken to save myself the headache: rank from the gut.
1. Rosalind Franklin
2. Louisville
3. Hennepin
4. Howard
5. UT-Memphis
6. Spokane
7. St. Elizabeth DC (If I wasn't IMG, there would be no way in hell I'd rank this program)

Members don't see this ad :)
IMG here. I love warm weather and beaches. lol

1. UF - Jacksonville
2. MCW
3. CCF
4. Carilion Clinic
5. Marshall University
6. SIU
7. Henry Ford

DO applicant

1. UWashington
2. USC
3. OHSU
4. mt Sinai Beth Israel
5. Michigan
6. Emory
7. Maryland Sheppard-Pratt
8. Miami

IMG here. I love warm weather and beaches. lol

1. UF - Jacksonville
2. MCW
3. CCF
4. Carilion Clinic
5. Marshall University
6. SIU
7. Henry Ford

I interviewed at Carilion Clinic also and loved the program. Best PD ever amd still feel her hugs. It's a good training but not much into research as ai wanted. Roanoake is also a small town and I want to stay close to family in South. So I end up ranking it in middle of my list. Did u hear any post interview communication from them?

I interviewed at Carilion Clinic also and loved the program. Best PD ever amd still feel her hugs. It's a good training but not much into research as ai wanted. Roanoake is also a small town and I want to stay close to family in South. So I end up ranking it in middle of my list. Did u hear any post interview communication from them?

The PD was really sweet! I also loved the program, but ranked other programs higher because of location. I did not hear anything from them besides getting a nice thank you card in the mail after the interview.

The PD was really sweet! I also loved the program, but ranked other programs higher because of location. I did not hear anything from them besides getting a nice thank you card in the mail after the interview.

Same here just got the card in mail

My rationale:
1:
I spent a lot of time trying to convince myself to like some of the cities I interviewed at. As a bearded South Asian, will I feel at home in Louisville? Memphis? Spokane?
2: I'm self motivated; so I should be able to make the best of my situation anywhere, right? Right?? ....RIGHT?

...I changed my list on the last day on impulse and took the advice I should have probably taken to save myself the headache: rank from the gut.
1. Rosalind Franklin
2. Louisville
3. Hennepin
4. Howard
5. UT-Memphis
6. Spokane
7. St. Elizabeth DC (If I wasn't IMG, there would be no way in hell I'd rank this program)

Why did u rank Hennepin so high? I ranked it very low Bc of cold weather.mplus community program and u rotate at many sites

Why did u rank Hennepin so high? I ranked it very low Bc of cold weather.mplus community program and u rotate at many sites

I don't believe that community programs provide worse learning just because they are community based or are filled with IMG's. Let's look at the university programs I ranked lower. Howard is a program that's bleeding money, overworks it's residents, and pays significantly less to live in expensive DC. University of Tennessee is located in Memphis. In one night out, I covered most of the places worth visiting in that city. It's not a very safe place to live and isn't too welcoming to me even though I'm a South Asian born in 'Murica.

Cold weather doesn't bother me. Is it hot? Is it cold? Is it humid? In every case, I'll be indoors seeing patients and busting my ass. All my hobbies can be done indoors--tennis, writing, reading, coffee. Plus, Minneapolis-St. Paul is actually a pretty nice place to live with at least superficially nice people. It's pretty diverse too.

I don't really care about rotating at different sites. I want a diversity of experiences in different settings--VA, outpatient, inpatient, forensic, private, public, and college counselling. It'll give me a better idea of how I want to spend my career.

I don't believe that community programs provide worse learning just because they are community based or are filled with IMG's. Let's look at the university programs I ranked lower. Howard is a program that's bleeding money, overworks it's residents, and pays significantly less to live in expensive DC. University of Tennessee is located in Memphis. In one night out, I covered most of the places worth visiting in that city. It's not a very safe place to live and isn't too welcoming to me even though I'm a South Asian born in 'Murica.

Cold weather doesn't bother me. Is it hot? Is it cold? Is it humid? In every case, I'll be indoors seeing patients and busting my ass. All my hobbies can be done indoors--tennis, writing, reading, coffee. Plus, Minneapolis-St. Paul is actually a pretty nice place to live with at least superficially nice people. It's pretty diverse too.

I don't really care about rotating at different sites. I want a diversity of experiences in different settings--VA, outpatient, inpatient, forensic, private, public, and college counselling. It'll give me a better idea of how I want to spend my career.

Have to admit it is a very fine psychiatry program with excellent training. For me location was a hindrance to I end up,ranking it low.

Wow....NRMP Match Week/SOAP email just now!

1. Rosalind Franklin
Interesting... is this the program where you rotate at the North Chicago VA for a while? Would you mind sharing some thoughts about the program as I would be interested. You can PM me as well if you don't want it broadcasted publicly. Thanks!

Interesting... is this the program where you rotate at the North Chicago VA for a while? Would you mind sharing some thoughts about the program as I would be interested. You can PM me as well if you don't want it broadcasted publicly. Thanks!

Yes it is. I shared most of what I had to say in the interview review thread, but please ask away here. I don't see any need for privacy.

I interviewed at Hennepin as well and I didn't really have any expectations going into the interview, but afterwards I was pleasantly surprised. Yes they are IMG friendly, but I can picture myself working with the group of residents I met. It's a strong community program with a great PD and even though it's cold for the most part, Minneapolis and St. Paul are fun, active, thriving cities.

1. UC Riverside
2. San Mateo
3. Kaiser Fontanta
4. UC Irvine
5. CPMC
6. UCLA-SFV
7. USC
8. Kaweah Delta (Visalia)
9. UCLA-Bakersfield (Kern)

I interviewed at Hennepin as well and I didn't really have any expectations going into the interview, but afterwards I was pleasantly surprised. Yes they are IMG friendly, but I can picture myself working with the group of residents I met. It's a strong community program with a great PD and even though it's cold for the most part, Minneapolis and St. Paul are fun, active, thriving cities.

What number did you rank?

W

In the middle of my list, I wanted to rank it higher because I would be happy there but in the end it was more important for me to be closer to home (northeast)

I ranked it very low. U mind sharing ur programs we might have an overlap. I posted my list above in thread

Okay, we just share Hennepin and for me it was very last program on my rol

1. Case western/UH
2. U Minnesota
3. Cleveland Clinic
4. U Kentucky
5. Loyola
6. St Louis University
7. Iowa
8. Detroit Medical Center
9. UIC-peoria
10. Western Michigan

Congratulations everyone!

1. IU <3 <3 <3 <3
2. UIC
3. MUSC
4. Colorado
5. Mizzou
6. SIU
7. U South Florida
8. U Florida

My ROL:
1-HSS
2-Mayo
3-Tufts
4-Rutgers
5-Drexel
6-UT
7-DMC
8-SIU
9-SUNY Downstate

What did u not rank?

Hey lego if people choose not to list programs don't go back and ask them what they were. it's the second time you've done it (not to mention you haven't even listed your own...).

Hey lego if people choose not to list programs don't go back and ask them what they were. it's the second time you've done it (not to mention you haven't even listed your own...).

My list is posted above! And it gives an idea if I made some irrational decisions as I wasn't too sure of some programs I ranked

(Key criteria for me- location close to home, gut feeling, urban)
1. Downstate- I did an elective here and met some great attendings. During the rotation I sat in on didactics and was able to meet several residents- seemed happy with their choice and said they had a good balance between work and life. Wasn't impressed with the interview day tbh, I can see why people don't like it, but I think it is a good fit for me. I love Brooklyn and the craziness of this place and the CPEP. ALSO, my boyfriend is ranking it #1 for another specialty and it's close to home :)
2. Stony Brook- Left with a very good impression, but ultimately decided that Long Island is too quiet for me. I am a city creature.
3. VCU- Really liked the PD and I met soo many residents during interview dinner-day that were funny and cool and just seemed like people I would really get along with. Even though it's further from home, I liked Richmond and I got a good feeling.
4. Temple- ... honestly now that I think about it again, I'm not sure why I ranked this so high, prolly cuz it was close to home and it's urban
5. Hartford Hospital- Beautiful campus, seems like strong training, but didn't get to talk to that many residents (30min lunch and no pre-interview dinner), so that irked me.
6. Drexel
7. Richmond Univ Medical Center- close to home, I also think Staten Island has excellent patient diversity and the fact that it has a CPEP is a plus for me, but it is a small community program and I wasn't sure it would be academic enough for me.
8. UF- Before interviewing I thought I would like this program a lot more bc I'm quite familiar with it...but Gainesville turned me off. It was too college-y.
9. Maimonides- Close to home, but lots of foreign residents and I felt out of place.
10. Baystate- I think I liked the people and the hospital was really nice, but it was too small for me.
11. Albany- I didn't get much of an impression from this place, good or bad....didn't know what to make of it
12. SLU- Liked the attendings who interviewed me and I liked St. Louis too....but thought I might be lonely out there.
13. EVMS- A lot of the residents I met seemed to choose this place bc it's close to the naval station and/or their spouse and children really liked the location...didn't bode well for me, although I did like the attendings that interviewed me.
14. Buffalo- had some good qualities (i.e., CPEP), but the day of my interview, it looked like death outside with black clouds and howling wind and it just set a very bad aura around everything.

My list is posted above! And it gives an idea if I made some irrational decisions as I wasn't too sure of some programs I ranked

Even still, rank lists are already submitted. Trust what you thought was best for you. Even if you made some "irrational decisions" (which I highly doubt) you can't change anything about it now! Furthermore, I wouldn't let other peoples rank lists affect how you view your list too much. This forum is supposed to be all in fun since nothing is changing now!

Take a deep breath and relax. We won't have this much stress-free time in a while.

IMG here as well. My main criteria is having geropsych experience or some research opportunities, although not having either isn't really a deal breaker for me. For the most part, being at a program where I feel I would get a long with all the residents/faculty/staff as well as getting a good education were big factors for me.

1.) HSS
2.) WSU/Detroit Med Ctr
3.) Case Western/Metrohealth Med Ctr
4.) Hersey Med Ctr
5.) and 6.) Cooper University in NJ
7.) U Kansas SOM- Kansas City
8.) U Louisville SOM
9.) Marshall U SOM
10.) Rutgers NJMS
11.) Western Michigan Univ Stryker SOM
12.) Maimonides
13.) RFUMS
14.) CMU
15.) Creedmoor Psych
16.) Icahn SOM Beth Israel

I didn't rank one program because my interview there raised a lot of red flags (asking me clinical questions, residents looked tired and barely smiled)

Also, I understand Beth Israel is a great program, but I've already lived in Manhattan before, and I want to go somewhere different. I don't think I'd be happy living in NYC again.

Last edited:
IMG here as well. My main criteria is having geropsych experience or some research opportunities, although not having either isn't really a deal breaker for me. For the most part, being at a program where I feel I would get a long with all the residents/faculty/staff as well as getting a good education were big factors for me.

1.) HSS
2.) WSU/Detroit Med Ctr
3.) Case Western/Metrohealth Med Ctr
4.) Hersey Med Ctr
5.) and 6.) Cooper University in NJ
7.) U Kansas SOM- Kansas City
8.) U Louisville SOM
9.) Marshall U SOM
10.) Rutgers NJMS
11.) Western Michigan Univ Stryker SOM
12.) Maimonides
13.) RFUMS
14.) CMU (got an email saying they will not match anyone this year and will get all residents from SOAP, so I'm not sure if this counts, but I left it in my ROL anyways)
15.) Creedmoor Psych
16.) Icahn SOM Beth Israel

I didn't rank one program because my interview there raised a lot of red flags (asking me clinical questions, residents looked tired and barely smiled)

Also, I understand Beth Israel is a great program, but I've already lived in Manhattan before, and I want to go somewhere different. I don't think I'd be happy living in NYC again.

Interviewed at U Kansas SOM as its closer to my hometown. But wasn't impressed with the program. End up ranking in lower third on ROL. Their IP unit was among the most depressing I have seen. Dark yellow walls and I recall just a 8-bed unit in each wing. Wish Psyc IP was in the main hospital which is new, lively, and fun to work in.

Bump!!!

Please share! Thank you :)

I'm so excited for match day! I can't wait another week! How's everyone feeling?!

I hope others share their ROLs as wel so we can see how everyone ranked programs. I know there are many who come to sdn and can post their opinions.

Am feeing excited and nervous. Hoping to match at any of my top 3 programs.

I'm feeling very excited! I have a very positive outlook on the whole process so at this point I'm just enjoying the ride.

1. LSU-NO
2. Henry Ford
3. Jefferson
4. Boston University
5. Temple
6. SLU
7. U of Mississippi
8. Wake Forest
9. Beth Israel

I simply went with my heart. I already have an Ivy League undergraduate degree, and I do not want to do academics. So, I went with the places that I truly liked the most. I absolutely hated my interview experience at Beth Israel. One individual that I interviewed with did not have ANY interest in what I said during our 5 minute encounter.

1. LSU-NO
2. Henry Ford
3. Jefferson
4. Boston University
5. Temple
6. SLU
7. U of Mississippi
8. Wake Forest
9. Beth Israel

I simply went with my heart. I already have an Ivy League undergraduate degree, and I do not want to do academics. So, I went with the places that I truly liked the most. I absolutely hated my interview experience at Beth Israel. One individual that I interviewed with did not have ANY interest in what I said during our 5 minute encounter.

LSU-NO is a great peogram. I know several people who ranked it very high plus interns will start working at the new hospital (opening this May). Good choice! Excellent faculty and nice location

Mississippi is not situated in a nice location so I agree a lot ranked it low unless they had connection to the area. Though the training is excellent. I remember how it was one of the longest interview days as you are interviewed by 8-9 different faculty/residents.

1. UC Riverside
2. San Mateo
3. Kaiser Fontanta
4. UC Irvine
5. CPMC
6. UCLA-SFV
7. USC
8. Kaweah Delta (Visalia)
9. UCLA-Bakersfield (Kern)

Can you shed any light on how you ended up ranking the programs as you did? I'm familiar with a lot of these programs, although since UC Riverside is so new I haven't heard too much about them. What was your impression of that program?

Can you shed any light on how you ended up ranking the programs as you did? I'm familiar with a lot of these programs, although since UC Riverside is so new I haven't heard too much about them. What was your impression of that program?

I wanted to be in California and that was my primary objective initially. I was looking for a program that would provide solid clinical training, accessible faculty and staff, lucrative moonlighting, great lifestyle, and cool residents. Also, I wanted to live in an area of California that I believed was not heavily saturated and affordable enough to purchase a home as a resident (I just couldn't see myself renting at ridiculous rates for another 4 years in a lot of other areas of California). UC Riverside had all of the previous attributes along with being associated with a medical school. I had the best gut feeling after meeting with everyone at Riverside and it leapfrogged to the top. UCR is a relatively new program and most applicants would probably therefore be nervous about ranking it as highly. For me, my interactions with Dr. Maguire were fantastic and I was sold on his vision for creating a residency experience that is tailored to each resident's passions.

Some other highlights:

San Mateo: Offers great community training. Program Director was super cool. Program encourages residents to take initiative and set up programs for the community. Excellent Lifestyle. Most residents at this program are married. One full day a week of didactics split up between two days. No way a resident will be able to purchase a house here. Also, the bay area is changing extremely fast. Silicon Valley techies are jacking up prices everywhere. The bay is not what it used to be 20 years ago unfortunately.

Kaiser: Not the ideal program. Fontana is not the best place in the world. However, its affordable around the area. Program gets you into the Kaiser system which can potentially be great for some people who want a career at Kaiser. They are opening up new facilities up and down Cali. Lifestyle is pretty good here. Could be lacking in terms psychotherapy. However, local psychoanalytic institutes are nearby and could be utilized with your ample free time.

Irvine: Great location. Pretty affordable. Residents were some of the coolest I met on the interview trail. Seems to have solid psychotherapy. Not as good in terms of lifestyle as the above 3. Overall, very strong program. PD is new but seems nice. Stahl is there.

CPMC: Program director is awesome. Extremely passionate and has a great vision for the program. They are opening up a brand new hospital. Only met 2 residents. Work schedule is pretty standard. Cost of living is a major problem. Also, I'm over city living and have no desire to deal with the hassle that comes along with downtown life. Strong didactics and psychotherapy training.

UCLA-SFV: Program Director has been there forever. That, in my opinion, is typically not ideal. Usually, this means rigidity and aversion to change. Lots of driving. Residents were down to earth. Work Schedule is pretty standard. San Fernando Valley seems like a decent place but not worth the cost of living imo. Lots of VA work. Strong clinical training. Research can be sought out. UCLA name carries weight.

USC: USC is definitely a big name on the west coast. However, the program is not in the best of areas. LA has a ton of traffic and the cost of living is sky high. The interviews were all straight forward. The training is most likely solid. You have great weather. Lots of residents and should be easy to make friends. The research opportunities are there. You get to work with a great deal of underserved patients. Lots of vacation time here. Work Schedule is pretty standard. Overall, very solid.

Kaweah Delta: Close to Fresno. Will see a ton of underserved patients. Good lifestyle. Cool Residents. Not the ideal location but still California. Extremely affordable. Probably not much research. No real University Affiliation although they say they have an affiliation with Irvine. Good Moonlighting opportunities. Great job prospects with traditions behavioral health.

Bakersfield: Not the ideal location. Facilities seem a bit dilapidated. Residents were nice. Strong community training. Lots of fellowship opportunities. Not the best rate for moonlighting, can't remember the exact figure. Work schedule tough during intern year then pretty good 2, 3, and 4.

These are mostly rambling thoughts, if you need any clarifications, let me know.