Official 2012 IM Match Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Posted for a user who wishes to remain anonymous:

--Board Scores: Step 1: 227, Step 2: 257
--AOA and class rank: Top 1/4, nominated for AOA but was not elected
--Reputation of medical school: not ranked
--Research: Did cardiology/pharmacology research from M1-M4, one paper pending, one poster at regional conference. 2 case report posters at local ACP meetings.
--Honors in clerkships: Honors in all clerkships
--# and where you did away rotations: none
--# of programs you applied to: ~30
--Where invited for interviews: Tulane, tufts, brown, Mayo (rochester and jacksonville), OHSU, Vanderbilt, WashU, UNC, UAB, Colorado, Loyola, UTHSC, UTMB, several others I can't remember now
--Where matched: Tulane
--Things that helped application: I must have had some really good letters from faculty in the IM department at my school. My interviewers constantly alluded to my glowing letters, but I've never personally seen them so I can only guess that they were good. The important thing is that my letter writers were important faculty at my home program though.

I am very happy with my results. Tulane was where I wanted to be. I applied broadly and interviewed all over the country but at the end of the day, the program and residents at Tulane seemed like the best fit for me. I couldn't be happier.

Members don't see this ad.

Another Match result from a user who wishes to remain anonymous:

--Board Scores: Step 1: 227, Step 2: 228
--AOA and class rank: no AOA, middle
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc): US top 50
--Research: Two research projects, one poster presentation, one project in process
--Honors in clerkships: no honors
--# of programs you applied to: 20
--Where invited for interviews: UAB, MUSC, USC, Wake, VCU, Brown, Dartmouth, UIC, Rush, Northshore, MCG, Utah, Ohio State, Cleveland Clinic, Case Western, UF, Miami, USF
--Where matched: University of Florida
--Matched at what number on rank list: # 1!!!
--Anything that helped your app: Good letters of rec, research, normal volunteer activities. I applied to a lot of different programs. Did not receive any love from the likes of Emory/Virginia/Northwestern/Uchic but was still ecstatic with the interviews I received. I ended up ranking UF number one because I felt the most comfortable there on my interview day. The people were great and the hospitals were impressive as well. I think a lot of people get caught up with rankings when what really matters is where you and your family will be the happiest.

Go Gators!!

Here's another anonymous Match result:

--Board Scores: Step 1: 250, Step 2: 255
--AOA and class rank: not AOA, top 1/3 class
--Reputation of medical school: US News top 25-30
--Research: some minor clinical research, no pubs
--Honors in clerkships: about half honors (including IM and coming award for highest grade in the clerkship) and half high pass
--# of programs you applied to: ~20
--Where invited for interviews: UAB, Wake, UNC, Duke, Vandy, Emory, MUSC, Michigan, Pitt, BID, UTSW, Yale, Hopkins Bayview
--Where matched: University of Michigan
--Matched at what number on rank list: 2
--Anything that helped your app: good scores, solid personal statement, some interesting past activities

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice to see that, even though you all didn't respond well to the whole "do the right thing" request, you can still be goaded into the appropriate action through the use of public humiliation and threats.

You'll make excellent interns.

Here's another anonymous one...keep 'em coming.

Also, I've bolded some things in this post that I think are very important and that many people don't think much about until it's too late. There are some wise words here. These are not my words (or stats), rather they are the words of the person who sent their match result to me...I just happen to agree with them completely.

Anonymous User said:
-Board Scores: Step 1: 253, Step 2: 262
--AOA and class rank: AOA
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc): Top 25
--Research: One paper premed school, one manuscript during med school
--Honors in clerkships: All honors during 3rd and 4th year
--# and where you did away rotations: One away at UCSF
--# of programs you applied to: 14
--Where invited for interviews: Home institution, Duke, Columbia, WashU, Hopkins, Penn, Brigham, Stanford, UW, BID, MGH, UChicago (did not go), Northwestern (did not go) - rejected from UCSF
--Where matched: Penn
--Matched at what number on rank list: #3
--Anything that helped your app: I think the interview in my case was super important. I didn't have very good interview days at either BWH and MGH and that's probably why I didn't get my #1 or #2. Just make sure you know your application in and out, know what you want to say if people ask you about it. I thought I could go off the strength of my application on paper and didn't put as much effort into the interviews, which was clearly a mistake. Also, I shockingly got rejected from UCSF after I did an away rotation there and received an honors grade and also a strong LOR. I don't think away rotations help very much at the top programs according to my own experience.

Last edited:
Here's another one...keep 'em coming.

Also, I've bolded some things in this post that I think are very important and that many people don't think much about until it's too late. There are some wise words here.

-Board Scores: Step 1: 253, Step 2: 262
--AOA and class rank: AOA
--Research: One paper premed school, one manuscript during med school
--Honors in clerkships: All honors during 3rd and 4th year
--# and where you did away rotations: One away at UCSF
--# of programs you applied to: 14
--Where invited for interviews: Home institution, Duke, Columbia, WashU, Hopkins, Penn, Brigham, Stanford, UW, BID, MGH, UChicago (did not go), Northwestern (did not go) - rejected from UCSF
--Where matched: Penn
--Matched at what number on rank list: #3
--Anything that helped your app: I think the interview in my case was super important. I didn't have very good interview days at either BWH and MGH and that's probably why I didn't get my #1 or #2. Just make sure you know your application in and out, know what you want to say if people ask you about it. I thought I could go off the strength of my application on paper and didn't put as much effort into the interviews, which was clearly a mistake. Also, I shockingly got rejected from UCSF after I did an away rotation there and received an honors grade and also a strong LOR. I don't think away rotations help very much at the top programs according to my own experience.

I can't imagine someone with your stats (AOA + all honors + >250 steps + publication) getting rejected from UCSF and not matching at either MGH or BWH. Sucks. It seems like sometimes it really is a crapshoot at the top programs and/or the competition is getting really crazy at the upper level.

I can't imagine someone with your stats (AOA + all honors + >250 steps + publication) getting rejected from UCSF and not matching at either MGH or BWH. Sucks. It seems like sometimes it really is a crapshoot at the top programs and/or the competition is getting really crazy at the upper level.

Just so we're clear...these aren't my stats. This was an anonymous post. Edited to make clear.

Nice to see that, even though you all didn't respond well to the whole "do the right thing" request, you can still be goaded into the appropriate action through the use of public humiliation and threats.

You'll make excellent interns.

werd

A few more anons . . .

-Board Scores: Step 1: 223, Step 2: 252
--AOA and class rank: middle of the road
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc): california school
--Research: 5 papers, 10 abstracts, book chapter, multiple presentations
--Honors in clerkships: IM, surgery, peds, subI
--# and where you did away rotations: 2, Cedars, UCSD
--# of programs you applied to: 20+
--Where invited for interviews: every socal IM program (ucla, ucsd, uci, harbor, cedars, etc.) and a few out of california: UW, michigan, baylor, cornell.
--Where matched: UCSD
--Matched at what number on rank list: 1
--Anything that helped your app: (ie: a phone call to a program, big-wig letter of recs, MD/PhD, other degree, SDN Forum, etc):

--Board Scores: Step 1: 219, Step 2: 243
--AOA and class rank: Not AOA, middle of class
--Reputation of medical school: top 3
--Research: PhD, multiple pubs
--Honors in clerkships: HP in medicine, H in subI. 2 other H and the rest HP
--# and where you did away rotations: 0
--# of programs you applied to: 11
--Where invited for interviews: Monte, NYU, Yale, Penn, Cornell, MSSM, BID, MGH
--Where matched: Cornell
--Misc: went to second look, personal emails to PDs, research track

I shockingly got rejected from UCSF after I did an away rotation there and received an honors grade and also a strong LOR.

Dont fret. When something like this happens, it probably means there was some politics going on in the background. You wouldn't want to be in a place with a lot of politics anyway.

Dont fret. When something like this happens, it probably means there was some politics going on in the background. You wouldn't want to be in a place with a lot of politics anyway.

Again...not me. I personally got a rejection from UCSF without having to give those douchewads any of my precious 4th year slack time.

Again...not me. I personally got a rejection from UCSF without having to give those douchewads any of my precious 4th year slack time.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I was getting pissed more people didn't post. Thank god JDH and Gutonc goaded people into posting.

For all those 4th years reading: keep the posts coming, especially from the normal people (even anonymous). It is a lot more helpful to see where the average student got interviews with a 210s-230s than the outlier with a 250/260s that SDN is so famous for.

Keep them coming.

--Board Scores: Step 1: 251, Step 2: 263
--AOA and class rank: not AOA, just barely into the top 1/3rd of the class
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc): Top 10
--Research: Minimal. One abstract.
--Honors in clerkships: H in IM, Sub-I, and all IM electives. The rest 50-50 HP/H.
--# and where you did away rotations: None
--# of programs you applied to: 16?
--Where invited for interviews: UCLA, UCSD, UCD, OHSU, UW, Colorado, Wisconsin, Michigan, Northwestern, UChicago, Penn, Duke, a couple community programs (no offers from Stanford, UCSF, BID)
--Where matched: UW
--Matched at what number on rank list: # 1!
--Anything that helped your app: Interviewers commented repeatedly on my letters, none of which were from "big name" attendings, which I appreciated after having deviated from the mantra of only pandering to the big dogs for letters. I did send a love letter to UW which I doubt had much impact, but who knows. Otherwise, programs that I was interested in (Penn, UCLA) that hadn't given me love on interviews were receptive to me contacting them and reiterating my interest; both offered after correspondence with the PDs. Anecdotally, I had no contact with programs that I didn't interview with. Otherwise, it's a fun process meeting (largely) cool people, with free food and beer. Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
from an anon

--Board Scores: Step 1: 227, Step 2: 268
--AOA and class rank: AOA, top 10%
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc): Perhaps in the top 50?
--Research: No publications, a few case presentations and regional conferences
--Honors in clerkships: Honors in all but family med. Honors in medicine and sub-i
--# and where you did away rotations: 1 for fun
--# of programs you applied to: 17
--Where invited for interviews: Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado, Minnesota, Mayo, Wisconsin, Michigan, Northwestern, BIDMC, Georgetown, GWU, UNC
--Where matched: Wisconsin
--Anything that helped your app: I took step 2 in August and I think it opened some doors as far as getting interviews. Took time off and had a job in research prior to med school.

Another anonymous post...quoted to make it clear that it's not mine.

Anonymous User said:
--Board Scores: Step 1: 215, Step 2: 255
--AOA and class rank: N/A AOA, middle of class
--Reputation of medical school: Top 10
--Research: Poster presentation at SGIM national conference and regional ACP conference
--Honors in clerkships: HP in all core clerkships except P in Surgery, Honors in all SubI (ICU, Medicine) and electives
--# of programs you applied to: 8
--Where invited for interviews: Hopkins, UVA, VCU, EVMS, Columbia, Maryland, Hopkins Bayview, UPenn
--Where matched: Hopkins
--Matched at what number on rank list: # 1
--Things that helped application: really good rec letters, interviews, and unique EC (I patented a device from research I did, I have a black belt in martial arts I got during medical school, etc)

Anyone have any idea about how long after match our appointment letters usually come? Not meaning to hijack, just didn't want to start a whole thread just for this.

--Board Scores: Step 1: 225, Step 2: 258
--AOA and class rank: no AOA, middle of class
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc): solid state school, maybe around the 50 mark?
--Research: summer project with a paper "pending" in another area of medicine
--Honors in clerkships: Honors in all but surgery, OB. Honored medicine and medicine sub-i, plus 3 medicine electives
--# and where you did away rotations: nope
--# of programs you applied to: 22
--Where invited for interviews: UPMC, U of Rochester, Case Western, Cleveland Clinic, Ohio State, U of Indiana, U of Minnesota, Mayo, U of Wisconsin, bunch more (got 21 invites, only one that said no thanks was Michigan)
--Where matched: Wisconsin
--Anything that helped your app: everywhere I went they commented on how good my letters were. Didn't try to get 'big dog' letters, but did if they knew me well (this was possible for 1). Otherwise asked the attendings that knew me the best to write me up. Increase in Step 2 was also commented on pretty frequently, at least the midwest places feel that makes up for a normal step 1.

Anyone have any idea about how long after match our appointment letters usually come? Not meaning to hijack, just didn't want to start a whole thread just for this.

I had mine a week ago, I have friends still waiting. They've done this many times before, I wouldn't worry about it.

There may not be that many more regulars who need to post their stats. You know most of the "official what are my chances" posts were the same people asking the same thing every two weeks.

There may not be that many more regulars who need to post their stats. You know most of the "official what are my chances" posts were the same people asking the same thing every two weeks.

eh

good points

this years "where did I match thread was better than last's at least"

Yea this year was definitely better than last's.. How do you view the competitiveness of IM after seeing this years match stats? About the same? More competitive at the top programs? More competitive all around?

Yea this year was definitely better than last's.. How do you view the competitiveness of IM after seeing this years match stats? About the same? More competitive at the top programs? More competitive all around?

Blood bath at the top programs and more competitive at the top 10-30 down into the mid tier university programs, so overall a more competitive year, which was more than last year, and last year more so than the year before. If the trend continues, I'll feel safe making the claim that IM just left the back-waters of "just fill out the ERAS and get in" to a match people really need to start thinking about strategically.

Still tricklin in. Here's another anonymous match result.

Anonymous User said:
--Board Scores: Step 1: 235, Step 2: 259
--AOA and class rank: no AOA (nominated), top 1/4
--Reputation of medical school: California school
--Research: no pubs, but working on project
--Honors in clerkships: 3/6 honors (not IM); sub-I
--# of programs you applied to: 21
--Where invited for interviews: NOT invited to UCSF, Stanford, OHSU, UCLA, MGH, BWH, UChicago, NW, Columbia, Cornell
--Where matched: BIDMC
--Matched at what number on rank list: # 2
--Things that helped application: sent interest letter to my top 3

Another anonymous match result. Keep 'em coming.

Anonymous User said:
--Board Scores: Step 1: 247, Step 2: 264
--AOA and class rank: AOA, "Top Tier" - No rank
--Research: MPH, two first authors, one poster
--Honors in clerkships: All H's
--# of programs you applied to: 23 (Couples Match)
--Where invited for interviews: Received 23 invites: Attended: Duke, UNC, Columbia, NYU, MGH, BWH, BID, Yale, JHU, UW, UCSF, Penn, Cancelled: Stanford, Colorado, UofChicago, NW, UCLA, UCLA Harbor, UCSD, Vandy, Cornell, Mt. Sinai
--Where matched: MGH
--Matched at what number on rank list: # 1
--Anything that helped your app: Previous job experience (leadership), MPH, grades and boards. Advice for couples - be honest about your situation. Don't be shy about having your program contact your SO's program if they are still waiting or didn't receive an interview. I thought this would be a bit presumptuous, but all the PDs responded very positively and it worked more times than not.

--Board Scores: Step 1: 219, Step 2: 238
--AOA and class rank: near the middle
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc): Ross
--Research: none
--Honors in clerkships: All H's except psych (she hated me for some reason)
--# of programs you applied to: 116 (foreign grad)
--Where invited for interviews: Received 25+ invites; notables include U of Mn (used to work there), Marshfield clinic, UND, U of WV, Univ of Buffalo, SUNY Upstate, numerous community programs including St Marys and Stamford in CT, others in PA, NV, WI, IN, OH
--Where matched: prematched at Marshfield Clinic
--Anything that helped your app: Previous job experience (leadership), MPH, grades and boards.
board scores being solid helps IMGs that's for sure - I think my 219 hurt my getting interviews at some better university programs but was good enough for top community programs
where you live ironically affects where you get interviews - being from MN I got a lot of solid midwest program invites but almost none from the south including GA where I did my clinical rotations.
solid letters from my US clinical rotations (all from GA)
being interested in nephrology
many extracurricular activities - do what you can handle

Here is another US-IMG:

--Board Scores: Step 1: 235, Step 2: 236
--AOA and class rank: #1, No AOA at my school
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc): Carib (speaks for itself lol)
--Research: 2 Pubs, (1 of which I was first author)
--Honors in clerkships: All High Honors
--# and where you did away rotations: N/A
--# of programs you applied to: 85 (80 university), 8 interviews,
--Where invited for interviews: Drexel Univ, UC-Northshore, York Hospital, EVMS, UMDNJ-Newark, Southern Illinois Univ., Cooper University
--Where matched: Prematched at my #1, E.Virginia Medical School
--Anything that helped your app: (ie: a phone call to a program, big-wig letter of recs, MD/PhD, other degree, SDN Forum, etc): Research, thank you letters to residents, attendings, and program coordinators.

Here's another anonymous match result.

Anonymous User said:
--Board Scores: Step 1: 254, Step 2: 247
--AOA and class rank: Junior AOA, top of class
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc): NOT even top 50
--Research: 2 poster presentations, 2 pubs
--Honors in clerkships: Honors in all
--# and where you did away rotations: 2
--# of programs you applied to: 25
--Where invited for interviews: BWH, MGH, BID, Penn, Hopkins, Duke, Yale, Chicago, Michigan to name a few
--Where matched: Brigham
--Anything that helped your app: (ie: a phone call to a program, big-wig letter of recs, MD/PhD, other degree, SDN Forum, etc): strength of med school application, strong LOR from research mentor, second look

^interesting...interviews to Yale, Hopkins, Duke, Mass Gen, U of MI...and ranked Brigham ahead of them?

Here is another US-IMG:

--Board Scores: Step 1: 235, Step 2: 236
--AOA and class rank: #1, No AOA at my school
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc): Carib (speaks for itself lol)
--Research: 2 Pubs, (1 of which I was first author)
--Honors in clerkships: All High Honors
--# and where you did away rotations: N/A
--# of programs you applied to: 85 (80 university), 8 interviews,
--Where invited for interviews: Drexel Univ, UC-Northshore, York Hospital, EVMS, UMDNJ-Newark, Southern Illinois Univ., Cooper University
--Where matched: Prematched at my #1, E.Virginia Medical School
--Anything that helped your app: (ie: a phone call to a program, big-wig letter of recs, MD/PhD, other degree, SDN Forum, etc): Research, thank you letters to residents, attendings, and program coordinators.
congrats! are you from out east? your interview invites kind of tell me you are. (sorry in advance if you are just posting for someone else).

^interesting...interviews to Yale, Hopkins, Duke, Mass Gen, U of MI...and ranked Brigham ahead of them?

Makes perfect sense...brigham is an awesome place to train

No argument with that plan. The Brigham's as good as any other place on that list. And more humane than some of them.

I didn't know that. Sounds like a win for him :D

The Brigham is the best IM program in the country according to some.

You do realize that Brigham is one of (and many would argue the best of) the 3 Harvard hospitals, right?

I do now...:) honestly I didn't know that much about these eastern schools as when I was researching programs I knew I wouldn't have a chance at any of them.

sounds like a great get for him.

anyone get an interview offer from Stanford and not have a step 1 score >240? (I am trying to decide if doing an away rotation there is even worth it with a mid 230s step 1 score)

Last edited:
anyone get an interview offer from Stanford and not have a step 1 score >240? (I am trying to decide if doing an away rotation there is even worth it with a mid 230s step 1 score)

The better question might be, did anyone get an interview offer from Stanford and not have at least a few publications...

The better question might be, did anyone get an interview offer from Stanford and not have at least a few publications...

I got an interview there and didn't have pubs (although my step score is >240). I'm pretty sure a few of my classmates who matched there for IM had step scores <240. I would just apply and see what happens. I would also advise against doing away rotations.

I got an interview there and didn't have pubs (although my step score is >240). I'm pretty sure a few of my classmates who matched there for IM had step scores <240. I would just apply and see what happens. I would also advise against doing away rotations.

How else will I know if I really will like residency at that program other than basing it off of 1 day of interviewing?

Thanks for the reply!

How else will I know if I really will like residency at that program other than basing it off of 1 day of interviewing?

Thanks for the reply!

So you're planning to do 12-15 away rotations then? What if you do an away there and then don't get an invite? Are you going to do an "away" @ the place where you sign a contract post-training?

All srs questions.

So you're planning to do 12-15 away rotations then? What if you do an away there and then don't get an invite? Are you going to do an "away" @ the place where you sign a contract post-training?

All srs questions.

All valid questions. I plan on doing 2-3 away's at programs that, on paper, I am very interested in. If I don't get an interview at any of them then all I have lost is an interview. If I get interviews at even one of them, then I have a better idea whether or not I actually will rank it as high as I would have before doing an away there. If I do not do any of the away's but I end up getting interviews at those programs, I would think I would have less information to plan my rank list than I would have if I did the away's.

The only thing I can lose is 'wasting' time at highly regarded program and not getting an interview -- which to me isn't a waste as I would assume i'd be getting some great education while I am there. There is obviously some risk that I mess up while i'm there which would hurt my chances, but that is a risk I am willing to take. I am fully aware that doing an away does not equal an automatic invite.

In terms of "doing an "away" @ the place where you sign a contract post-training" -- obviously that isn't possible - but just because I can't then, doesn't mean I should miss the opportunity now.

All valid questions. I plan on doing 2-3 away's at programs that, on paper, I am very interested in. If I don't get an interview at any of them then all I have lost is an interview. If I get interviews at even one of them, then I have a better idea whether or not I actually will rank it as high as I would have before doing an away there. If I do not do any of the away's but I end up getting interviews at those programs, I would think I would have less information to plan my rank list than I would have if I did the away's.

The only thing I can lose is 'wasting' time at highly regarded program and not getting an interview -- which to me isn't a waste as I would assume i'd be getting some great education while I am there. There is obviously some risk that I mess up while i'm there which would hurt my chances, but that is a risk I am willing to take. I am fully aware that doing an away does not equal an automatic invite.

In terms of "doing an "away" @ the place where you sign a contract post-training" -- obviously that isn't possible - but just because I can't then, doesn't mean I should miss the opportunity now.

It's your funeral.

If you are a half decent candidate for IM, anything more than 1 away is a waste of time, and even 1 is probably not going to provide any benefit to you.

The Brigham is the best IM program in the country according to some.

I'm pretty sure you're making that up. Isn't The Brigham just another community hospital in Boston?

Reactions: 1 user
It's your funeral.

If you are a half decent candidate for IM, anything more than 1 away is a waste of time, and even 1 is probably not going to provide any benefit to you.

I concur.

Aways can do more harm than good. Rarely to they even count for anything. Most of the time you are sequestered away on some random specialty rotation and you don't really get to meet too many important people.

Status
Not open for further replies.