Official 2012-2013 IM Residency WAMC (What Are My Chances) Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Realize that I'm a bit late to the party, but I just wanted to note that gutonc is more than earning his salary of zero dollars to put up with all of our complaining and pestering, and that the individual who is complaining about his advice should realize that an anonymous internet forum should not be the only source of advice for anyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Also late to this party (thankfully).

I have gutonc's back 100% here. He and the other regulars have way more patience to sift through these things than I ever will.

The advice here is typically ~90% accurate. Not bad for an anonymous forum.
I come from a "meh" medical school and barely broke 240 on Step 1 and got all the Northeast elite love I wanted. It can be done.

SkinMD, grow the hell up.

The advice here is typically ~90% accurate. Not bad for an anonymous forum.
I come from a "meh" medical school and barely broke 240 on Step 1 and got all the Northeast elite love I wanted. It can be done.

were you top of your class? toward the top? all H in clinicals?

if the answer to any of those is yes then you've completely missed the point

SkinMD, grow the hell up.

your personal attacks are very mature :rolleyes:

it's very discouraging how some people on this website keep perpetuating myths and misinformation by refusing to acknowledge differing opinions even though the experiences they're associated with are more recent and, at times, more robust

Members don't see this ad :)
I mentioned this briefly in another thread but think it should also be said here...

The seemingly added importance of class rank and AOA and the relatively diminished importance of step 1 score may very well be a result of the change in submission and MSPE release dates this year. By putting only 15 days between application submission and MSPE release (instead of 2 months), programs were able to scrutinize applicants' class rank and put their grades into context so that they didn't have to send invites solely based on step 1 score. Therefore step 1 score as your main criteria for giving advice (as has been done in this thread and which is my main grievance) is becoming increasingly inaccurate. Therefore I do concede that there may have been changes in the criteria for offering interviews this year because of the changes implemented in ERAS so that the "advice" gutonc is giving is out of date rather than misinformed. For the record I dont think gutonc is being malicious but he is presenting himself as more knowledgeable about the process than he actually is.

It's fine if you disagree.

Just try to be a bit more respectful of a real person who takes a lot of time out of his day to try to help med students navigate the application season. If you want to chime in as well when people ask for advice, then I'm sure people are happy to have another opinion to listen to.

I mentioned this briefly in another thread but think it should also be said here...

The seemingly added importance of class rank and AOA and the relatively diminished importance of step 1 score may very well be a result of the change in submission and MSPE release dates this year. By putting only 15 days between application submission and MSPE release (instead of 2 months), programs were able to scrutinize applicants' class rank and put their grades into context so that they didn't have to send invites solely based on step 1 score. Therefore step 1 score as your main criteria for giving advice (as has been done in this thread and which is my main grievance) is becoming increasingly inaccurate. Therefore I do concede that there may have been changes in the criteria for offering interviews this year because of the changes implemented in ERAS so that the "advice" gutonc is giving is out of date rather than misinformed. For the record I dont think gutonc is being malicious but he is presenting himself as more knowledgeable about the process than he actually is.

Maybe. But half of my invites came BEFORE Oct 1st, including many top programs. Granted, they had my transcript and CV before then, so the programs knew about my grades, AOA, and step scores. The MPSE didn't really add that much except my class rank and presumably some nice comments about my clinical skills (which probably overlapped with my letters, so again, not that crucial). I think the important point is that EVERYTHING matters... Including having something extra/interesting/human to add to your app. I guess I'm still confused about how all of this affects your strategy... What would you have done differently? Would you have applied to different programs?

Or it could be the "seemingly added importance of class rank and AOA and the relatively diminished importance of step 1 score" is all in your head. I personally have my doubts that this cycle is any different from any other in recent history. Just because your n=1 didn't get interviews from the most elite programs in one specific geographic region doesn't mean much to me compared to the experiences of large numbers of people whom I've talked to or seen post over the years.

Maybe. But half of my invites came BEFORE Oct 1st, including many top programs. Granted, they had my transcript and CV before then, so the programs knew about my grades, AOA, and step scores. The MPSE didn't really add that much except my class rank and presumably some nice comments about my clinical skills (which probably overlapped with my letters, so again, not that crucial). I think the important point is that EVERYTHING matters... Including having something extra/interesting/human to add to your app. I guess I'm still confused about how all of this affects your strategy... What would you have done differently? Would you have applied to different programs?

i'm assuming that in most/all schools being top of the class (top quartile/quintile/X%) is a prerequisite for being AOA therefore if you already indicated that you were AOA on your app then they could easily assume that you had a stellar class rank.

i haven't really seen much evidence that you need to have "something extra" as long as you have a good class rank, high step score and maybe some research. of course standing out somehow is definitely desirable in order to set yourself apart from the crowd but i dont think it's as much of a prerequisite as the other things.

what i would have done differently was apply to more programs and maybe cast a wider net geographically. instead of 24 programs i would've applied to 30 with a focus on mid tier and upper mid tier programs. though with my step 1 score i'm sure gutonc would have told me i was a ***** and flushing money down the toilet.

Just because your n=1 didn't get interviews from the most elite programs in one specific geographic region doesn't mean much to me compared to the experiences of large numbers of people whom I've talked to or seen post over the years.

i've already said multiple times that i am not just going on my experience and have been seeking out others' experience that have informed my conclusions.

HEllo:

Always been interested in EM>IM, but this is looking like less of a possibility these days.

IMG- Big 4 carib school; American citizen

Step 1: 243
Step2/3: Take in July

Basic sciences: Almost all A's, 2 B's

Clinicals A's (=high pass), no honors yet, IM not taken yet. Preceptors consistently tell me I'm among the best students they've had, however true that may or may not be.

Research: 3 publications pending. May not be published given PI is sitting on them
Volunteering: local high school mentorship, various things around area for honor society
Other: Olympic trials athlete in college

My goal is a university program in the west or mountain area. I like New Mexico, Utah, Colorado, but most importantly California.

If I can't do Uni programs there then I'd settle for other programs in those same locations. My ultimate goal is hospitalist or Heme-Onc fellowship. Still researching future trajectories of both fields.

Chances?
Advice?
Much appreciated!! thanks friends.

HEllo:

Always been interested in EM>IM, but this is looking like less of a possibility these days.

Clinicals A's (=high pass), no honors yet, IM not taken yet. Preceptors consistently tell me I'm among the best students they've had, however true that may or may not be.

Research: 3 publications pending. May not be published given PI is sitting on them
Volunteering: local high school mentorship, various things around area for honor society

My goal is a university program in the west or mountain area. I like New Mexico, Utah, Colorado, but most importantly California.

If I can't do Uni programs there then I'd settle for other programs in those same locations. My ultimate goal is hospitalist or Heme-Onc fellowship. Still researching future trajectories of both fields.

Chances?
Advice?

the only potential university program i can foresee you getting a nod at might be USC.
other than that, i don't think any of the UC's will take a look simply because you are USIMG.

as for the other states in the west, unsure.

Thanks, I figured as much. Any other programs on the coast not UC which are still any good?

HEllo:

Chances?
Advice?

I agree with the above poster. California is a tough beast, especially for an IMG.

While your step 1 score is strong, unfortunately coming from the carribean it doesn't go as far. Ideally you would honor your IM rotation.

I would apply much more broadly than just the west/mountain west. If you get a bunch of interviews you can cancel them if you need to. It is better to have too many than too few.

HEllo:

Chances?
Advice?

I agree with the above poster. California is a tough beast, especially for an IMG.

While your step 1 score is strong, unfortunately coming from the carribean it doesn't go as far. Ideally you would honor your IM rotation.

I would apply much more broadly than just the west/mountain west. If you get a bunch of interviews you can cancel them if you need to. It is better to have too many than too few.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, I figured as much. Any other programs on the coast not UC which are still any good?

Cedars-Sinai
UCLA-Harbor
Scripps Green
CPMC
SCVMC

I think all can be considered pretty good community programs with opportunity to do some sort of fellowship afterwards.

Awesome, thanks a bunch! Are my stats so far competitive at these programs?

Awesome, thanks a bunch! Are my stats so far competitive at these programs?

yes. you'd more or less be competitive for the UC's if you Honor your medicine rotation, but unfortunately you have the IMG thing working against you.

Interested in IM.
DO applicant.
Step 1: 225-228
3rd year, so Step 2 pending (but hoping to do better than Step 1).
Co-author on 5 journal articles.
Probably around middle of class for pre-clinical grades.

What's it looking like?
Are programs like Winthrop, North Shore-LIJ, Oregon HSU within reach?

Last edited:
Interested in IM.
DO applicant.
Step 1: 225-228
3rd year, so Step 2 pending (but hoping to do better than Step 1).
Co-author on 5 journal articles.
Probably around middle of class for pre-clinical grades.

What's it looking like?
Are programs like Winthrop, North Shore-LIJ, Oregon HSU within reach?

Never mind the ad hominem attacks against me from skinmd, now I'm really wishing I'd locked this thread down.

You're conflating a "Top X (where X=30 or 40 or 50...who really knows)" program with a decent community program and a crappy community program? And for bonus points, this is the 3rd post today asking basically the same question.

Just wait until next year when a similar thread starts up again. Then you can get some real dangerously incorrect and misleading advice from me.

You're conflating a "Top X (where X=30 or 40 or 50...who really knows)" program with a decent community program and a crappy community program? And for bonus points, this is the 3rd post today asking basically the same question.

Okay, sorry, have been somewhat anxious about this stuff lately. I guess I wasn't clear on the hierarchy of residency programs.
Anyway, thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

did you just call NS-LIJ a community program?

did you just call NS-LIJ a community program?

I am aware of it's new affiliation/academic orientation with Hofstra. It's still, fundamentally, an excellent community program (admittedly I said decent in the last post). I take that opinion from friends of mine on faculty there.

Step 1: 220
Step 2 score pending
All passes in classes and clerkships (no honors yet, clerkship grades pending)
7-8 articles, most of them first-author
Significant research, leadership, and community service experience.
Want to do several away electives on West Coast (originally from there)

C'mon man...please just let this thread die. I don't want to have to lock it, but I will.

Average NY state school (allopathic)
Step1: 231
No research or particularly impressive extracurriculars

My issue? I got a P in medicine clerkship (I've got above average clinical performance grade & shelf grade but it was my first OSCE and I didn't do very well. I missed HP by 0.5% but I don't know if PDs see that or care.)
The rest of my 1st, 2nd and 3rd year grades are half Ps and half HPs.
I was originally planning on going to a top notch university program so I can be competitive for whatever subspecialty I wanna do.
But people have told me that the P will get me screened out of most competitive programs (esp b.c I really wanna go to NYC) and that I should consider going into a different specialty.

Does anybody have any honest opinions/advice on which NE schools would consider me? Should I think about instead going into one of the specialties I got an HP in?

Thanks!

My issue? I got a P in medicine clerkship (I've got above average clinical performance grade & shelf grade but it was my first OSCE and I didn't do very well. I missed HP by 0.5% but I don't know if PDs see that or care.)
I was originally planning on going to a top notch university program so I can be competitive for whatever subspecialty I wanna do.
But people have told me that the P will get me screened out of most competitive programs (esp b.c I really wanna go to NYC) and that I should consider going into a different specialty.

Does anybody have any honest opinions/advice on which NE schools would consider me? Should I think about instead going into one of the specialties I got an HP in?

Thanks!

since this is slightly different and you think the P is going to alter your mind as far as specialty... i mean... what else would you consider? family med? peds? psych?

i think you still have a solid shot at some mid-tier programs that will let you specialize. you'll just have to make that extra effort in residency to shine and you'll make it happen.

that being said, no one will tell you what programs to apply to, yet. my advice is, take step 2 CK before august (and do well) to augment your slightly above average step 1 score to give you a little boost at programs. and, try and find some sort of project/case report that you can write up in the mean time. then, as mentioned by the more seasoned people on this forum, come back next year and ask where to apply.

since this is slightly different and you think the P is going to alter your mind as far as specialty... i mean... what else would you consider? family med? peds? psych?

i think you still have a solid shot at some mid-tier programs that will let you specialize. you'll just have to make that extra effort in residency to shine and you'll make it happen.

that being said, no one will tell you what programs to apply to, yet. my advice is, take step 2 CK before august (and do well) to augment your slightly above average step 1 score to give you a little boost at programs. and, try and find some sort of project/case report that you can write up in the mean time. then, as mentioned by the more seasoned people on this forum, come back next year and ask where to apply.

I P'd medicine too... took it first and had no idea what I was doing lol I've definitely been asked about it, but as long as you can talk about it it shouldn't totally hold you back (I don't think it necessarily held me back).

Plan of action now: take CK early, ask for lots of feedback on how to improve in the future (so important to constantly get feedback), honor Medicine electives, and honor your Medicine Sub-I (can't stress that enough). If there's anything I would have done differently, it's take CK before apps went out. I've seen it's really important in Medicine to have a solid CK score for consideration (won't hold you back, but definitely helps).

Oh and honoring everything else and being AOA doesn't hurt either... but we can't all do that haha

Thanks!

... this is a WAMC 2013 thread. Your post is better suited for a 2014 thread which I am sure will be started soon at some point. I suggest waiting as well because this season only has about 8 weeks until match day and we will all be able to provide much more specific advice. I think at that point people overall will be much more forthcoming with information (even if by a different account just to help some people out). Just continue to do the basic stuff for MS3 year and be back in about 2 months.

My stats:
Step 1: 254
Likely top 25%, probably no AOA
Mid-tier school
Honors in all clerkship, except HP in surgery
1 poster, no publications

Need help making a list basically...

My stats:
Step 1: 254
Likely top 25%, probably no AOA
Mid-tier school
Honors in all clerkship, except HP in surgery
1 poster, no publications

Need help making a list basically...

Come back next year and tell us where you're looking to train and what you want to be when you grow up :) You should probably have an idea of programs you're looking at too - Medicine is a huge field.

Come back next year and tell us where you're looking to train and what you want to be when you grow up :) You should probably have an idea of programs you're looking at too - Medicine is a huge field.

Thanks for the advice

hey whats up guys Im an IMG ranked 13th out of 350 students
need visa not picky about it but id rather h1
step1 242
ck 260
cs very soon
USCE 3 months hands on clinicla experience
3 US LORS (gastro, cardio, internist)
No research
Volunteer at my country for 1 year as a medical student giving free counsultation

What you guys think about my chances to match in to a univ program?(no research)

I like cleveland since I heard it takes alot of imgs

any suggestion to programs that my fit my profile? does the volunteer thing will help at all?
thnx a lot in advacne guys

hey whats up guys Im an IMG ranked 13th out of 350 students
need visa not picky about it but id rather h1
step1 242
ck 260
cs very soon
USCE 3 months hands on clinicla experience
3 US LORS (gastro, cardio, internist)
No research
Volunteer at my country for 1 year as a medical student giving free counsultation

What you guys think about my chances to match in to a univ program?(no research)

I like cleveland since I heard it takes alot of imgs

any suggestion to programs that my fit my profile? does the volunteer thing will help at all?
thnx a lot in advacne guys

Where did you go to school?!

Last time I was applying, it was still a community program - what changed?

Hofstra started a med school this year and NS-LIJ is their teaching program. It's technically a Uni program now but it's not like anything magically changed there because of this.

Step1: 236
No AOA. Gold Humanism Honors Society
Top 50 program
Clerkship grades: H/P/F system. Only H in ObGYN and Psych.
Strong letters from research and clinical faculty
Research: 2 pubs, 2 first authors, plus unpublished basic science research
Good Demonstration of leadership skills

I'm interested in UTSW, Yale, UCSD, UPitt, University of Washington, U. Chicago, Columbia and Stanford. Are these programs within my reach or am I dreamin?

Top 50 program

I'm interested in UTSW, Yale, UCSD, UPitt, University of Washington, U. Chicago, Columbia and Stanford. Are these programs within my reach or am I dreamin?

Most of those programs are within reach. The exceptions possibly being Columbia and Stanford which can be very picky. No AOA, mid-tier school, and lack of H in medicine are your major hold backs. Take Step 2 early and do well (aim for >250), yours is the type of application that this would be very helpful.

Top 50 program

This thread gives you the profiles of people who recently matched, including interviews/rejections. I would say that Columbia, Stanford, UChicago and UWashington are likely reaches, but still apply because you don't know how far your research will take you. You also didn't mention your class ranking, because a strong one can ease the blow of not honoring medicine. Take step 2 and subI early and do well in both.

I am interested in a MD IM residency in the NJ/PA/NY area but I did not take USMLE step I
COMLEX Step I: 508/83
COMLEX Step II-July 2013
GPA 3.7 and have very good LOR
Honors for all of my third year rotations
I am planning to apply for only MD spots, do you think I have a shot at a good MD IM residency spot? Any Advice on which program I should apply in those areas? should I apply to DO IM spots?
Please help
Thanks much

I am interested in a MD IM residency in the NJ/PA/NY area but I did not take USMLE step I
COMLEX Step II-July 2013
I am planning to apply for only MD spots, do you think I have a shot at a good MD IM residency spot? Any Advice on which program I should apply in those areas? should I apply to DO IM spots?
Please help
Thanks much

What?!

COMLEX Step II-July 2013
Please help
Thanks much

you have 0 chance at MD positions without step scores. period.

Not necessarily...there are godawful desperate IM programs out there that would be happy to take a DO candidate with just COMLEX scores. But if this person wants to be in a respectable program, then yes, take the USMLE.

http://www.nrmp.org/data/programresultsbyspecialty2012.pdf

Page 63
1% if the programs will consider an applicant for interview without a Step 1 score... that roughly equals to about 2.8 programs.

i wouldn't necessarily interpret that as meaning that they wouldn't consider COMLEX level 1 instead. also there are likely a few dualy accredited programs in the NY metro area. I think you should check the websites of target programs and maybe even contact the program coordinator. of course you have zero chance at competitive academic programs but some of the community programs, particularly in the outer boroughs of NYC and parts of NJ can be quite desperate for warm bodies who can pass board exams.

http://www.nrmp.org/data/programresultsbyspecialty2012.pdf

Page 63
1% if the programs will consider an applicant for interview without a Step 1 score... that roughly equals to about 2.8 programs.

"Step 1 score" includes COMLEX Step 1 . Did you really think no ACGME program would accept COMLEX? I found quite a few programs that gladly accepted COMLEX scores when I researched for the match, and most weren't dually accredited.

"Step 1 score" includes COMLEX Step 1 . Did you really think no ACGME program would accept COMLEX? I found quite a few programs that gladly accepted COMLEX scores when I researched for the match, and most weren't dually accredited.

fair enough. i agree with what you said in your previous post then.

Seeing as there are a couple of inquiries, is it too early to start a new thread?

while I wouldn't say they have 0 chance, theirt chances are more limited.

As to the person he was responding to- it depends on what good means... are we talking about columbia, cornell, NYU ... then you don't have a shot. If you are talking about community programs and university affilitate programs... perhaps

Was thinking the same thing - bout that time.

Start a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.