Official 2011 Rank Order Lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Cedars Sinai
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
Northwestern
University of Chicago
MGH
Vanderbilt
Michigan
U Colorado
Mayo
Loyola

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1. UT-Knoxville
2. UAB
3. Mayo-Roc
4. UTMB
5. MCW
6. CCF
7. Penn St.
8. New Mexico
9. Ohio St.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Hopkins
2. UAB
3. Wake Forest
4. UF
5. UNC
6. UK
7. OSU
8. Yale
9. VCU
10. Mayo-Fl
11. Cleveland Clinic

P.S - Either UAB interviewed 600 people, or everyone posting on here is from the South East.

P.S - Either UAB interviewed 600 people, or everyone posting on here is from the South East.

Haha, tell me about it! I guess the only way we'll get in is if we're "ranked to matched"...no going down the rank list for them:oops:

Seriously, I must be missing something. What is it about UAB? How can this many people want to go live in alabama for four years?

Seriously, I must be missing something. What is it about UAB? How can this many people want to go live in alabama for four years?

Birmingham sucks. I've found a gorgeous place outside of the city though. Made sure that I found it before I ranked it 1.

Solid program and reputation
Excellent chair and PD - both Mayo grads
UAB hrs - done with OR by 3pm or earning 70/hr
Board pass rates in upper 90s
Solid didactics
Solid hospital infrastructure
Cheap city
15 categorical residents and 21 overall - good size and good support

I interviewed from the West to the East and most of the big names. Hopkins, MGH, Duke, Stanford, Mayo, Vandy, etc...didn't apply to the other big names (UCSF, etc). Those programs are amazing, but they have their downsides too. Rochester sucks and its freezing. Palo Alto will send me into 7 figure debt. Boston's program will give me an MI before residency's over. Vandy was like UAB in many ways...

So far I see 4 people with UAB at number 1 and a couple with it at number 2. GL to you all.

Last edited:
I'm also surprised to see UAB so high...I mean it seemed like a great program and all, but Birmingham? It's not a big city OR a fun college town. Maybe I missed some exciting part of the city when I was there. Anyway, to each his own I guess. Good luck to all you guys there are hoping to go there!!

I have counted 6 number 1 ranks for UAB. I ranked their advanced #4, and slid Hopkins and UNC in-between.

Yeah, I'm surprised that UAB was picked over UMich, Mayo, Duke, the Harvards, UChicago, etc....

Definitely a wonderful program... I ranked the categorical program #1 and the advanced years #2...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I'm surprised that UAB was picked over UMich, Mayo, Duke, the Harvards, UChicago, etc....

Definitely a wonderful program... I ranked the categorical program #1 and the advanced years #2...

I agree, especially since all the programs you mentioned are almost without argument better academically. Perhaps it's because the weather is warmer in Alabama? And they make good sweet tea?

I felt like UAB was a very balanced program in terms of reputation, training, location, and lifestyle. I can see why people ranked it #1

Last edited:
This love of UAB gives me the sense that either everyone on this board is from the south, or is married with kids already..

Birmingham sucks. I've found a gorgeous place outside of the city though. Made sure that I found it before I ranked it 1.

Solid program and reputation
Excellent chair and PD - both Mayo grads
UAB hrs - done with OR by 3pm or earning 70/hr
Board pass rates in upper 90s
Solid didactics
Solid hospital infrastructure
Cheap city
15 categorical residents and 21 overall - good size and good support

I interviewed from the West to the East and most of the big names. Hopkins, MGH, Duke, Stanford, Mayo, Vandy, etc...didn't apply to the other big names (UCSF, etc). Those programs are amazing, but they have their downsides too. Rochester sucks and its freezing. Palo Alto will send me into 7 figure debt. Boston's program will give me an MI before residency's over. Vandy was like UAB in many ways...

I didn't apply to UAB, but from the list above, it sounds like it has a lot of similarities to Oklahoma. I ranked Oklahoma #1.
OU residents make $60/hr after 3pm or go home.
I can't remember the numbers off the top of my head, but I remember the PD giving me the most detailed and transparent board score and ITE score information than any other program I visited and I remember their scores were high.
Low cost of living.
Sweet intern year.
Great Chair and PD. Definitely resident advocates.
Decent weather compared to most Midwest cities.
12 Categorical spots per year IIRC.

For those new to anesthesiology questioning about UAB, this is nothing new. UAB is well known to be one of the top programs in the country right up with the well known programs such as Duke and Wake Forest and the great northeast programs. To me, it is no surprise to see many people rank them highly. Those are the people who are "in the know."
For the record, I have no attachment to UAB at all, but highly respect the program based on everything I know about them.

Alright, fair enough. Word of such programs just doesn't really seem to reach people applying out of the northeast.

For those new to anesthesiology questioning about UAB, this is nothing new. UAB is well known to be one of the top programs in the country right up with the well known programs such as Duke and Wake Forest and the great northeast programs. To me, it is no surprise to see many people rank them highly. Those are the people who are "in the know."
For the record, I have no attachment to UAB at all, but highly respect the program based on everything I know about them.

I agree that it is a great program, and is probably one of the best in the South. If you're looking to stay in the South, then it is definitely a place to go. If you want to have options of going anywhere in the country and have the "name" to do so, then the aforementioned places such as Harvards, Duke, U Michigan, U Chicago, etc. are probably better for that. These places contribute more to anesthesia research and therefore their names are more widespread. If you have to be "in the know" to realize that a program is great, then it's name/reputation might not carry as far as some other places. With that said, congrats to all of you guys that will end up training at UAB for sure.

As one of the many who ranked UAB number one I have to agree that I am from the south and married with kids. The NE and West Coast programs would have been awesome to see but I had a conversation with my wife before I even sent my ERAS out and we decided that those areas were just too expensive to live for our family.

As for the city I agree that it's not going to get people there. It helps that my wife's best friend lives in Birmingham. For me it was the program for sure. The combination of happy people making a significant academic contribution to the specialty said it all.

I would truly be happy with almost all of the programs on my list.

Good luck to us all.

I agree that it is a great program, and is probably one of the best in the South. If you're looking to stay in the South, then it is definitely a place to go. If you want to have options of going anywhere in the country and have the "name" to do so, then the aforementioned places such as Harvards, Duke, U Michigan, U Chicago, etc. are probably better for that. These places contribute more to anesthesia research and therefore their names are more widespread. If you have to be "in the know" to realize that a program is great, then it's name/reputation might not carry as far as some other places. With that said, congrats to all of you guys that will end up training at UAB for sure.

My point was thta it is hard for medical students to be in the know about all of the really good programs. I would venture to say the people in the outside anesthesiology community are already well aware of how good UAB is. It is not a secret to people already into their careers. It is not intuitive to those just beginning. In the same way that some of the big "name" programs live off of the past, name is not everything in a training program. I suspect that UAB grads don't have trouble getting good jobs.

I agree with that. It would be pretty unusual for a medical student to know programs beyond the obvious names and what is in their region.

But to be realistic, I think that same rule applies to departments/private practices. These "In the know" programs may be gems and offer superb training, but If a resident applies from a place like USC for a job in Tennessee, someone hiring at a private practice probably isn't going to say, "wow, USC". The same could be easily said for UAB applying to a job in NYC. Its some combination of blissful ignorance and regional bias, people just aren't going to know.

I agree with that. It would be pretty unusual for a medical student to know programs beyond the obvious names and what is in their region.

But to be realistic, I think that same rule applies to departments/private practices. These "In the know" programs may be gems and offer superb training, but If a resident applies from a place like USC for a job in Tennessee, someone hiring at a private practice probably isn't going to say, "wow, USC". The same could be easily said for UAB applying to a job in NYC. Its some combination of blissful ignorance and regional bias, people just aren't going to know.

Agreed.

Last edited:
MGH
Penn
BID
Dartmouth
Cornell
NYU
Columbia
RWJ
Stbarnabas / suny downstate / etc

Agreed, that's the point I'm trying to get across. And there are only a handful of programs that offer you the reputation to go to any region of the country and be recognized. Given that, even carrying a name like "Harvard" might help you less in certain areas. It's all just a game of politics in the end!!

Agreed, that's the point I'm trying to get across. And there are only a handful of programs that offer you the reputation to go to any region of the country and be recognized. Given that, even carrying a name like "Harvard" might help you less in certain areas. It's all just a game of politics in the end!!

Looks like the moonlighting gig really does help attract some stud applicants... more programs should implement this tactic. :smuggrin:

MGH
Penn
BID
Dartmouth
Cornell
NYU
Columbia
RWJ

I can't believe you didn't rank UAB #1 :thumbdown:...hahaha, j/k. Thanks for getting the list going again. Good luck :thumbup:

UCSF
Cornell
UW
Sinai
NYU
MGH
Virginia Mason
Yale
Hopkins

Good luck!

Brigham
MGH
BIDMC
PENN
Columbia
Sinai
Cornell
NYU
Yale

Did not rank: Monte, St Lukes

1. Mayo Rochester
2. Michigan
3. Dartmouth
4. Wash U
5. Utah
6. Wisconsin
7. MCW
8. Virginia Mason
9. Case Western
10. CCF
11. SLU

Definitely no trust fund here. :rolleyes:

I didn't go on any prelim interviews. I have a pretty good chance at staying at my home program for my intern year (it rarely fills to capacity) if I match into an advanced program. If not, then I'm going to scramble.

I actually drove to all of my interviews but two, in a gas sipping civic. I rarely bought hotels and when I did I stayed in ghetto $39 motel 8's. I spent a lot of nights at rest stops, resting for a couple hours, then driving some more (on lots of No-doze and diet mtn dew). I'd literally change out of my suit in the parking garage after an interview then drive all night to the next interview. With few exceptions, the only time I stayed in a hotel was the night before the actual interview. I was able to schedule most of my interviews in blocks which also helped driving to the same region. I also had 4 programs that were within a 1-2 hour drive of my house.

In hindsight, interviewing at that many programs sucked. But I go to a D.O. school and I wanted to be sure I'd match at an ACGME program. I saw someone post earlier with 15 ranks. That's basically the same as me if I don't count the programs that were within 1-2 hours of my house.

I did the same thing as above. "risky", but it all worked out.

I did the same thing as above. "risky", but it all worked out.

Good to hear. It is definitely risky, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I may have to move somewhere far and less than desirable, but it's better than losing an advanced spot.

I have 4 advanced spots scattered throughout my rank list, so there is probably a good chance I'll have to scramble. Last time I talked to the PD at my #1 choice intern program, he said I'll have a spot at the top of the scramble list. It's a DO internship and they are holding out until after the allopathic match before they fill any more spots. :xf:

The suspense is terrible.

True. I'm not sure why it takes so long. I wonder if they manually check things because I would assume it can't take that long from the computer side.

Anyone doing anything fun to fill the void?

True. I'm not sure why it takes so long. I wonder if they manually check things because I would assume it can't take that long from the computer side.

Anyone doing anything fun to fill the void?

Mardi Gras 2011. Whoooo!!!!

Cedars
UCSD
Wisconsin
USC
UCI
OHSU
Michigan
Beaumont
Stanford
UofC
NW
WashU
Miami
UIC

really want my #1!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
First time poster, long time lurker.

1. Northwestern
2. University of Chicago
3. WashU
4. Michigan
5. Pittsburgh
6. Iowa
7. MCW
8. University of Wisconsin
9. Rush
10. Loyola

Good luck all!

A little location biased-your lower ranked programs are much stronger programs...

Cedars
UCSD
USC
UCI
OHSU
Michigan
Stanford
UofC
NW
WashU

really want my #1!!!!!!!!!!!!

MGH
Penn
BID
Dartmouth
Cornell
NYU
Columbia
RWJ

I like the title! Maybe we will be working together. We have more overlap than anyone else on here so far.

A little location biased-your lower ranked programs are much stronger programs...

Went with what felt right. Hopefully they know how to train anesthesiologists in cali....

Went with what felt right. Hopefully they know how to train anesthesiologists in cali....

Jazzman, your list looks solid. Very similar to mine, I must have met you along the way somewhere :)

Here's mine

Hopkins - very well-rounded program, see and do everything, excellent didactics
PENN - similarly very well-rounded
Brigham - was my #1 coming in, disappointed at no transplants and/or trauma
U of Chicago
Stanford - will have been higher up if I liked the west coast
MGH - well-rounded, excellent opportunities but didn't see myself fitting in
BIDMC
Duke - really liked program but did not like it enough to offset location
Washu - St.Louis wasn't appealing enough
Mayo - excellent in all respects but again, location
UNC

Would be happy all the way down to Duke, beyond that, will be simply happy to match. Did not rank 3 programs for various reasons.

Come on guys... Keep the lists coming. This is not the "how are you feeling the void?" thread.

Just answering the question. Threads are never 100% on topic anyway. Besides, positing lists and reading other people's lists IS a way to pass time isn't it? :laugh:

Actually after reading this forum I'm going to drop out of the match, scramble a surgery prelim, and do UAB anesthesia the next year. UAB all the way baby!

I like the title! Maybe we will be working together. We have more overlap than anyone else on here so far.

Nice! I looked for your list but didn't see it..... you're not trying to do a residency in Illinois, Ohio, Alabama or Missouri? :)