Official 2011-2012 IM Residency WAMC (What Are My Chances) Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyway, you've got a lowish step one and two . . . ok . . . you still got great interviews. There is something about your application that makes you attractive to programs, including Penn and UCSF which are notoriously picky. I think you're fine my friend. Vai con Dio.

Stop...just stop. You got interviews at UCSF, BID, Columbia and Penn. Your question is kind of ridiculous.

The Step 2 came after the interview invites, if that makes a difference. I feel like places were like, "Oh, he seems interesting except... hmm... well... he'll probably improve on Step 2." And then NOPE.

Hence the paranoia, but I appreciate the encouragement. You seriously think it won't preclude the UCSFs etc from ranking me highly?

Also, thanks for the relationship advice. We're working on negotiating the geography stuff, but she's extremely reasonable :).

Members don't see this ad.

The Step 2 came after the interview invites, if that makes a difference. I feel like places were like, "Oh, he seems interesting except... hmm... well... he'll probably improve on Step 2." And then NOPE.

Hence the paranoia, but I appreciate the encouragement. You seriously think it won't preclude the UCSFs etc from ranking me highly?

Also, thanks for the relationship advice. We're working on negotiating the geography stuff, but she's extremely reasonable :).

I have an answer to all your crazy questions:

Xanax

Clearly something in your app besides the steps was baller. I'm sure your minor improvement on step 2 won't matter much.

Stats:
-- Step 1 low 220s
-- Step 2 high 220s (huge disappointment based on practice tests consistently in the 250s, which is why I'm stressing out now and asking you all for advice)
-- honored ~50% of rotations, incl medicine
-- two first author pubs in basic science
-- significant national leadership position in a big med student org

Interviews:
West: UW, OHSU, UCSF, UCLA, Cedars Sinai, UCLA Olive View, UCLA Harbor, Kaiser LA, USC, Scripps Green, UCSD
East: BID, NYP-Columbia, NYP-Cornell, NYU, Penn

I think I was a strong candidate coming into this process, but I'm worried that my Step 2 score will preclude places from ranking me or ranking me highly. Do I even have a shot at the "better" places on my interview list? GF wants to be in So Cal... I just want to go to a strong program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there, I'm an MS III from a top 50 medical school on the East Coast. I'm planning on applying to internal medicine and then pursuing some sort of competitive fellowship afterwards (heme onc, cardio, GI, endocrine). Here are my stats:

Step 1: 240

Grades
- Average grades in first two years (some honors, mostly pass)
- Rotations (graded on a scale of fail-marginal-good-excellent-high honors): Excellent on psych, ob/gyn, general surgery, ophthalmology

Probably ranked in top half or top third of class
Research experience, but no publications
Some extracurriculars but nothing special

On top of all of this, I'll be couples matching. My boyfriend has done exceptionally well (260+ on Step 1, honors in all of pre-clinical years, high honors on some rotations thus far, vast extracurriculars, and more research experience but no publications either) but most likely wants to do something competitive like general surgery or ortho.

We would like to limit the search to New York, Philly, Boston, and Chicago, but I'm wondering if we'll have to branch out. And I'm wondering when I should take Step 2 and how important research is to break into some of the really top tier programs in those cities (or if it's even possible with my stats...)

Thoughts?

Hey there, I'm an MS III from a top 50 medical school on the East Coast. I'm planning on applying to internal medicine and then pursuing some sort of competitive fellowship afterwards (heme onc, cardio, GI, endocrine). Here are my stats:

Step 1: 240

Grades
- Average grades in first two years (some honors, mostly pass)
- Rotations (graded on a scale of fail-marginal-good-excellent-high honors): Excellent on psych, ob/gyn, general surgery, ophthalmology

Probably ranked in top half or top third of class
Research experience, but no publications
Some extracurriculars but nothing special

On top of all of this, I'll be couples matching. My boyfriend has done exceptionally well (260+ on Step 1, honors in all of pre-clinical years, high honors on some rotations thus far, vast extracurriculars, and more research experience but no publications either) but most likely wants to do something competitive like general surgery or ortho.

We would like to limit the search to New York, Philly, Boston, and Chicago, but I'm wondering if we'll have to branch out. And I'm wondering when I should take Step 2 and how important research is to break into some of the really top tier programs in those cities (or if it's even possible with my stats...)

Thoughts?

You'll have to branch out if you're both only interested in top training programs most likely.

If all you're interested in is the NE and Chicago, you should be fine if you're willing to go to any program in the area, and couples match will put you into the same city even if it can't get you into the same university. Your scores and his scores look good by my past experience, but this year things have been interesting and different, and I'm not exactly sure how to advise until I see how things shake out this year. The game might be changing.

You'll have to branch out if you're both only interested in top training programs most likely.

If all you're interested in is the NE and Chicago, you should be fine if you're willing to go to any program in the area, and couples match will put you into the same city even if it can't get you into the same university. Your scores and his scores look good by my past experience, but this year things have been interesting and different, and I'm not exactly sure how to advise until I see how things shake out this year. The game might be changing.

Yeah, same city is more than enough. I'm just worried that if I don't branch out, I'll end up hurting his chances as well. I looked through the match summary for 2011 and came up with this list. I feel like too many of these are out of my league, but I'd like your opinion on some of less-talked about programs.

Boston, Massachusetts

St Elizabeth's Medical Center
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
Boston University Medical Center
Brigham and Women's Hospital
Massachusetts General Hospital
Mount Auburn Hospital
Tufts Medical Center

Chicago, Illinois
Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center
Cook County-Stroger Hospital
Mercy Hospital and Medical Center
Mount Sinai Hospital Medical Center
Northwestern McGaw/NMH/VA
RFUMS/Chicago Medical School
Rush University Medical Center
St Joseph Hospital
University of Illinois COM-Chicago
University of Chicago Medical Center
Weiss Memorial Hospital

New York, New York
Einstein/Beth Israel Medical Center
Lenox Hill Hospital
Mount Sinai Hospital
NYP Hosp-Columbia University Medical Center
NYP Hosp-Weill Cornell Medical Center
NYU School of Medicine
New York Downtown Hospital
St Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Hospital of the University of PA
Pennsylvania Hospital
Thomas Jefferson University

Yeah, same city is more than enough. I'm just worried that if I don't branch out, I'll end up hurting his chances as well. I looked through the match summary for 2011 and came up with this list. I feel like too many of these are out of my league, but I'd like your opinion on some of less-talked about programs.

Boston, Massachusetts
St Elizabeth's Medical Center
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
Boston University Medical Center
Brigham and Women's Hospital
Caritas Carney Hospital
Massachusetts General Hospital
Mount Auburn Hospital
Tufts Medical Center

Chicago, Illinois
Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center
Cook County-Stroger Hospital
Mercy Hospital and Medical Center
Mount Sinai Hospital Medical Center
Northwestern McGaw/NMH/VA
RFUMS/Chicago Medical School
Rush University Medical Center
St Joseph Hospital
University of Illinois COM-Chicago
University of Chicago Medical Center
Weiss Memorial Hospital

New York, New York
Einstein/Beth Israel Medical Center
Lenox Hill Hospital
Metropolitan Hospital Center
Mount Sinai Hospital
NYP Hosp-Columbia University Medical Center
NYP Hosp-Weill Cornell Medical Center
NYU School of Medicine
New York Downtown Hospital
St Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Hospital of the University of PA
Pennsylvania Hospital
Thomas Jefferson University

You have a great CV for IM, at least I'd say so based on past experiences. The only places you will have trouble with are the Brigham, Mass Gen, Columbia, and Penn (and probably U of Chicago too, they are just very regionally biased and picky generally)

Otherwise, you should get interviews at all of those places I think.

Yeah I definitely expect for those programs to be out of reach, but I feel a little relieved to know that the rest of them are realistic options. Thanks for the virtual Xanax :)

Any thoughts on research and Step 2? Sorry to bombard you with questions, but from what I've read here, you give really solid advice about this stuff.

Any thoughts on research and Step 2? Sorry to bombard you with questions, but from what I've read here, you give really solid advice about this stuff.

Both will help. I mean with a 240, you should go up, but I think that 240 by itself is good enough to get invites at most place. You could take step 2 in october, and chose not to automatically reveal your score in your application and see what it looks like.

You really should get some experience or get involved with a poster presentation. Hell if you find an interesting case, you can probably be the first name as long as no one else wants to do the post work. National ACP is in April and national SGIM in May. Submit an interesting case to both. You'll at minimum need a faculty to be a name on it. Both the ACP and SGIM have regions meetings earlier in the year usually August, which is easier to get a poster into and, also in time to put on your CV for application time. Find out who's doing research in your division and see what you can do to help collect data or something. This can go in your "research experience" section. You've got plenty of time.

go on...

Well, the scores in the past few cycles which were good enough for the top programs seems to be changing, meaning that I may have to re-evaluate pending results of this year's match.

huh. So, for example, the 240 benchmark step 1 for getting an interview at most top programs (obviously MGH, Brig, UCSF, etc. Are exceptions) is now a 245? 250? 260?

Is medicine in general becoming more competitive or is this a result of droves of more highly qualified applicants eyeing the medicine sub-specialties than in prior years

also, I look forward to your report. Pdf? :)

I think the report will be published a couple of months after the match results. I am very curious to read it as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
huh. So, for example, the 240 benchmark step 1 for getting an interview at most top programs (obviously MGH, Brig, UCSF, etc. Are exceptions) is now a 245? 250? 260?

Is medicine in general becoming more competitive or is this a result of droves of more highly qualified applicants eyeing the medicine sub-specialties than in prior years

also, I look forward to your report. Pdf? :)

Eh. It's more of a general gestalt. 240 with AOA and research publication is plenty for a top place. 240 by itself is just not enough anymore.

Trying to get into the top programs is like trying to match to ortho (without all of the bench pressing and protein shakes)

haha, why do I keep hearing about the association between ortho and body-building!!!!!!

haha, why do I keep hearing about the association between ortho and body-building!!!!!!

you'll see when you start

ortho is over populated with ex jocks - it's more like a frat house than a residency program . . . regardless, they only take good grades and scores.

Eh. It's more of a general gestalt. 240 with AOA and research publication is plenty for a top place. 240 by itself is just not enough anymore.

Trying to get into the top programs is like trying to match to ortho (without all of the bench pressing and protein shakes)

Actually, I've been running into a lot of pretty physically pathetic ortho residents lately. Disappointing, really. Sigh, if you can't believe in stereotypes, what can you believe in?

lol I will keep my eyes open for relevant stereotypes. : ))

Pathologists ...Pathologists ... Pathologists!!!!

So for those of you who chose to forgo Step 2CK and applied only with Step 1 score, do you think it affected you negatively for interviews?

I'll be applying for 2013 and am starting to think of strategy. Have high 250 on Step 1, Honors in medicine. Hopefully will add one publication or so. Can I get away with not having a CK score when I apply. Or has the climate changed and having all scores makes a big difference?

So for those of you who chose to forgo Step 2CK and applied only with Step 1 score, do you think it affected you negatively for interviews?

I'll be applying for 2013 and am starting to think of strategy. Have high 250 on Step 1, Honors in medicine. Hopefully will add one publication or so. Can I get away with not having a CK score when I apply. Or has the climate changed and having all scores makes a big difference?

With those numbers it will not hurt you at all.

More and more places are requiring step 2 to rank - UCSF and MGH off the top of my head. You should get the interview without it, but there's a good chance they'll see it before they rank you, so why not take it closer to 3rd year when your knowledge is fresher?

If you got 250s in step 1 and rocked the medicine shelf, there's no reason why you might do worse on step 2. I was in similar shoes and was all worried when I was taking step 2 right after 3rd yr. but ended up getting even a higher score.

hey everyone! you guys all seem so hopeful so any advice would be great!

so i am thinking of doing IM i am currently a M3.. i am just worried my precliical grades and rank will hurt me.. i was ranked in the third quartile first and second year with only two honors the rest pass and high passes.. i go to a mid tier school nothing special... but i got a 234 on my step 1 and my third year grades so far look like this :
OB Honor
Medicine Honor
Pediatrics Honor
Psych Honor

i feel like i am doing well thid year.. though its only half way done..

i dono if this matter but i have two publications both in transplant surgery

i am want to stay on the east coast ....if west coast maybe OHSU....

i guess i am just very insecure about my first and second year grades... reassurance would be great or if any M4's had similiar success stories would be great also!

thanks for all the help!!

possible residency desired at : Northwestern, Cornell, Temple, Mt. Sanai, Temple, Jefferson, Emory, OHSU, Rush, UIC, Tufts, Bu, Univversity of Minnsota, OSU, Penn, Gwu, gtown, Baylor, Ut houston

thanks everyone!

ps sorry for the awful grammar and spelling..

so i am thinking of doing IM i am currently a M3.. i am just worried my precliical grades and rank will hurt me.. i was ranked in the third quartile first and second year with only two honors the rest pass and high passes.. i go to a mid tier school nothing special... but i got a 234 on my step 1 and my third year grades so far look like this :
OB Honor
Medicine Honor
Pediatrics Honor
Psych Honor

i guess i am just very insecure about my first and second year grades... reassurance would be great or if any M4's had similiar success stories would be great also!

possible residency desired at : Northwestern, Cornell, Temple, Mt. Sanai, Temple, Jefferson, Emory, OHSU, Rush, UIC, Tufts, Bu, Univversity of Minnsota, OSU, Penn, Gwu, gtown, Baylor, Ut houston

thanks everyone!

If you continue getting H's in your 3rd year I really think your preclinical grades will have a very small impact. It may keep you from getting AOA, but you will likely end in the 1 quartile of your class.

OB Honor
Medicine Honor
Pediatrics Honor
Psych Honor

thanks everyone!

3rd year grades tend to matter A LOT more than the first two years of med school. That + board scores (especially step 1) tend to be two of the biggest factors as to where you get interviews. Honors in medicine = a big deal. Keep rocking third year.

3rd year grades tend to matter A LOT more than the first two years of med school. That + board scores (especially step 1) tend to be two of the biggest factors as to where you get interviews. Honors in medicine = a big deal. Keep rocking third year.

Absolutely spot on here. The trend for top programs seems to be that a solid step 1 score with no Honors in 3rd yr Medicine Clerkship and Sub-I will leave you without interviews at many of the top programs. I think a couple of years back, you may have gotten by with a good board score and high pass in medicine or vice versa (so-so board score, but honors in medicine) in terms of getting interviews at top medicine programs, but having both boxes checked seems to be a must for getting these interviews. There are always exceptions though, but wouldn't put your luck on that.

Absolutely spot on here. The trend for top programs seems to be that a solid step 1 score with no Honors in 3rd yr Medicine Clerkship and Sub-I will leave you without interviews at many of the top programs. I think a couple of years back, you may have gotten by with a good board score and high pass in medicine or vice versa (so-so board score, but honors in medicine) in terms of getting interviews at top medicine programs, but having both boxes checked seems to be a must for getting these interviews. There are always exceptions though, but wouldn't put your luck on that.

I agree completely. In the past an honors in medicine and a >240 Step 1 was probably enough, but going through the application process the past few months it seems for one to get interviews at the tippy top places (i.e. the "top four" on this forum, etc.) you may need something else, like substantial research, insane board scores, going to one of the "elite" med schools, or AOA. At least that's just been my experience, others may feel differently.

Hey all,

I am a third year DO student.
USMLE Step1: 248
COMLEX: 670
Top 5 in my class (no AOA for DO's)
Rotations to date: Honors in Surgery, IM, Neurology, Peds, and Radiology.
Strong LORS from JHU and other top tier institutions
8 years of unrelated research experience
several abstract publications no first authors

I know I have a strong application in general, but I want to know how competitive I am as a DO for top tier programs on the east coast. My long term goal is to land a heme/onc fellowship.

Also, I have been getting mixed advice about whether I need to take USMLE step 2 or just COMLEX.

Any additional feedback regarding my application and how to make it stronger would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help!

quick question everyone: i have a samiliar problem as the last poster.. i am currently a M3 and i am currently getting honors in all my rotations. I did do so well preclinical and was only ranked in the third quartile..i go to a mid tier school in the midwest......

STEP 1: 238

quick and simple.. will my preclinical rank hurt my chances for IM residency in Chicago, NYC, Houston, Boston, DC, or Philly

THANKS!

quick question everyone: i have a samiliar problem as the last poster.. i am currently a M3 and i am currently getting honors in all my rotations. I did do so well preclinical and was only ranked in the third quartile..i go to a mid tier school in the midwest......

STEP 1: 238

quick and simple.. will my preclinical rank hurt my chances for IM residency in Chicago, NYC, Houston, Boston, DC, or Philly

THANKS!

Didnt*

A simple answer is no - your preclinical ranking is not going to hold you back - keep doing well in your 3rd year rotations which are seen as more important by almost everyone. In fact, many programs weight 3rd year grades more heavily in final ranking/AOA selection as well. As long as the rest of your app is strong you will be more than fine.
I can't really answer the 2nd part of your question as far as chances for residency in specific places b/c so many things eventually go into an application - and it also depends on which programs you are targeting in some of those cities - as quite a few of us have found out this year, good board scores and clinical grades can in no way guarantee an interview!

GW med (MS3)
Step 1 243
Honored IM Rotation
90 on IM NMBE
AOA - borderline, assume I don't get it.

a few extracurriculars here and there working with inner city youth (even though I plan on doing adult med)

1 poster presentation on sickle cell and developmental deficits

Overall pretty social (was social chair for class counsel), sporty person looking to go back to NYC after med school.

GW med (MS3)
Step 1 243
Honored IM Rotation
90 on IM NMBE

a few extracurriculars here and there working with inner city youth (even though I plan on doing adult med)

Overall pretty social (was social chair for class counsel), sporty person looking to go back to NYC after med school.

You'll be fine. Maybe no love from Columbia, but expect interviews everywhere else.

GW med (MS3)
Step 1 243
Honored IM Rotation
90 on IM NMBE

The H in IM is huge. If you get the AOA mark you should be fine. If not, it's pretty random. I've met people with similar stats to yours who got interviews at places they thought were reaches and rejections from places they thought they thought were shoe-ins for.

I had a 240ish/HP/and close to AOA (missed it by ~2-3 spots). The HP killed me. The only NY invite I got was AECOM, rejections from Columbia, MSSM and no word from NYU or Cornell.

The H in IM is huge. If you get the AOA mark you should be fine. If not, it's pretty random. I've met people with similar stats to yours who got interviews at places they thought were reaches and rejections from places they thought they thought were shoe-ins for.

I had a 240ish/HP/and close to AOA (missed it by ~2-3 spots). The HP killed me. The only NY invite I got was AECOM, rejections from Columbia, MSSM and no word from NYU or Cornell.

What's the opinion on school's who don't have honors/pass/fail systems and instead still have letter grades? Do residency programs consider A=Honors B=High pass, etc.?

What's the opinion on school's who don't have honors/pass/fail systems and instead still have letter grades? Do residency programs consider A=Honors B=High pass, etc.?

Probably the same thing. If your school reputation is pretty strong, it probably doesn't even matter ;)

Hey guys, I juts got my step 1 score back last week and I was wondering how my stats hold up against some of the top tier programs - MGH/UCSF/Stanford..etc

Step 1: 236
AOA - with mostly Honors in MS1 and MS2
2 years of basic science research with published abstracts and a few awards, no papers
1 year of clinical research - paper published.

I know that 3rd year is the most important year but I just wanted to know if I am capable of getting in to these higher end schools.

Thanks

your step 1 score is on the weaker side for those schools...
AOA is very important...

if you get AOA, you will probably get interviews at SOME of those places(this is dependent on 1)location of the programs...places like columbia and U wash more difficult due to "desirable location" 1) random luck: it is a crap shoot at the end of the day

will you get into the program is a whole another issue...i would say mebbe to top programs with less desirable locations(i.e. U michigan)...but probably not to places like UCSF or MGH...

i am learning that location plays a huge role in the residency match process...i went to michigan interview and then to mt.sinai...mt.sinai had equally impressive applicants sitting with me as michigan...and everyone will agree the U mich>>> mt.sinai

GW med (MS3)
Step 1 243
Honored IM Rotation
90 on IM NMBE

agree with above...
even if you make AOA, you may not get columbia...(i know a lot of people with 250+ and AOA who did not get columbia)...you will probably get cornell, mssm, nyu for sure if you get AOA....if not, you may/may not get cornell. i think mssm and nyu should be good with you stats but thats not certain either. i know people who got columbia and not cornell, who got cornell and not nyu....who got mssm and not nyu....

I'm not sure if the OP mentioned this, but if he/she is coming from a Top 25 school then I think he is a shoe in for most invites. If not, I agree with all that has said. The biggest thing to do is get an H in medicine and hopefully some solid LORs.

How competitive are IM programs in New York City? Is there any route to find out what the average USMLE was for ranked/matched applicants in the various IM residency programs in NYC?

I am not sure about the competitiveness of NYC residencies in general, as there are plenty of programs in that city - but overall, due to (for many) a desirable location among other things, they tend to be more competitive than similar programs in other areas perhaps.
If you are referring strictly to the most notable programs (Columbia, Cornell, Mt Sinai, and NYU), they are all very competitive IM programs - they will all require more than a great USMLE score to secure an interview, but certainly it will help your case to have very good board scores. As far as finding this data, I have not seen it and imagine it is probably not released outside of the individual departments. In all honesty though, knowing such numbers would not really tell you a whole lot anyway - do well on the board tests in addition to putting together a strong app in all other areas and you will give yourself a good opportunity!!

Hi Everyone,

I am a third year DO student. Originially from CA and am interested in pretty much any ACGME IM program in CA or OR. COMLEX level 1 = 652 / USMLE step 1 = 237. Top 5 % of class. No extracurriculars or research. Any advice on specific programs?

US allopathic student

Step 1: 254

Grades
- All pass during pre-clinical years (P/F)
- Rotations: Honors is pediatrics, psychiatry, surgery, family medicine, and Ob-Gyn (H/HP/P/LP/F). Just started medicine.
- AOA highly likely (based on third year grades and Step 1)

Research experience during the summer after M1 with 1 publication and 1 floor presentation. Hoping to do some clinical research in IM over the next year (hopefully with another pub/poster or two). Some extracurriculars but nothing special.

I'd really like to stay in New England and preferably the Boston area for residency. That being said, how good of a shot will I have at getting interviews at places like MGH, BWH, and BID if things continue to go well for me during third and fourth year? Also, I know that there are pros and cons to taking Step 2 CK earlier during M4. Any ideas on when I should be looking to take it with a 254 and having medicine as last rotation of M3 would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
quick update guys:
got my step 2 score yesterday - 254, I have already applied to a lot of the community and lowly university programs, about 120 so far, and once I get my ECFMG certificate I plan to apply to about 60 more programs countrywide. Is this too many? I have 0 interviews so far....
should I hope for anything this year ? or should I plan to beef up my resume for next year?

hey guys,
I thought I might report back, so 14 interviews later (all community programs), I accepted a pre-match yesterday from a great(outside of NY) community program. No in house fellowships but over the years their residents have good match rates in the fellowship match.
Thanks for your help.

School: Good canadian school (LCME accredited), need J-1 visa though
Step 1: 250, won't have step 2 in time for applications
Grades: All passes on a H/P/F scale
Research: Masters in engineering. Fair bit of interesting research w/ awards. Two abstract/conference presentations. Will have submitted three papers before application, hopefully one will be accepted.

Would like to attend a top 20 school (NYU, MSSM, OHSU, Mayo, Cornell, Chicago range) so that I can pursue a heme-onc fellowship afterwards.

1. WAMC?
2. Would it be beneficial to expedite step 2, so that I have scores at time of application?
3. Would it be helpful to do an away in the US, or are Canadian rotations considered pretty equivalent?

Thanks in advance :)

Status
Not open for further replies.