***Official 2010-2011 Integrated Plastic Surgery Interview Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello,

I have Yale 1/8 and would love to switch to 1/21. Please let me know. Thank you. Happy Holidays. PM me.

Cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

UMASS:

Have: Jan 21
Want: Feb 4

Will offer $300. PM me if interested. Thanks, and best of luck.

Hello Everyone,

Have: January 21st
Want: January 28th

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys-I know it's getting close but thought I would try my holiday luck:

Have: 1/10
Want: 1/17 or 1/24

PM me; willing to compensate. Thanks and Happy New Year!

Hey all,

Looking to switch dates for the kansas interview:

Have: 1/12
Would like: 1/15

Don't have any money to compensate but I'll throw in a nice thank you E-mail for your efforts.

PM me if interested. Thanks

Does anyone have any info about the January 7th Stanford interview? I spoke to Christine in the office a few weeks ago and she mentioned a packet that would get mailed out. Has anyone gotten this? Thanks!

anyone wanna share double room hotel (preferably a girl if there are any) jan 10/11 and/or cab ride or renta car during those days PM me..
seems like interviews end pretty late so il probably stay both days, but if you only need one, Im Ok with that..
I have double beds radisson hotel and I will rent a car
thanks

Hi All,

I really need to switch my UMass date as follows:

Have - Jan 21
Need - Feb 4

If you have the Feb 4 date and are considering dropping it, or would like to switch for the earlier slot, please contact me so that we can make arrangements. If you need some sort of compensation, I am happy to discuss this with you as well.

Thank you so much for your help! Best of luck everyone!

Just wanted to give a shout out to everyone! This is a crazy time here at Wake, party at my place afterward! Not really, but we can all pretend. Good luck all, I'm going to start the Match list post tonight, unless someone else wants to.

For those interested, I've started a new thread for the PRS Integrated Match List 2010-2011 found here. I know it's a little bit early, but seeing that we can start putting together our rank lists tomorrow I thought it was only fitting to have this new thread available.

Please feel free to update the number of slots per program listed if they are incorrect. Thanks!

Hey Silly J...just wanted to say you looked pretty fantastic in your platinum suit...keep it up!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone up for sharing a room in New Haven on the night of the 20th? Let me know. Best of luck, all.

Hey everyone,

I seem to be the only one posting on here spamming everyone :). That being said, if you are on facebook or have been looking for an excuse to join facebook, here's your shot: search for "Integrated Plastics 2010-2011" Group and ask to join (or try this link). Otherwise, please email [email protected] and we will add you. Once you've joined, please add everyone you've met on the interview trail. Now is our chance to network! Thanks and good luck.

~sillyjpants

I'm looking to apply for plastics this upcoming year and wanted to get some feedback on my competitiveness for integrated. Step 1: 241, upper 1/3 of my class, let's just assume not AOA, multiple research projects but not in the plastics realm. Any thoughts?

Hey OldNo7. We are all finishing up our interviews right now and people are pretty anxious about the match. You really do look competitive for plastics, but it's so hard to say. Everyone on this interview trail is amazing on paper. Truely amazing. And they're all great people in person. Keep up the good work, and if you're dedicated, keep up the good work. If you have a program at your school, find a mentor. Talking to them is your best bet. Get involved in research, leadership, and put your best effort into everything you do. It's competitive, but doable and if your heart is really in it, you can end up in plastics.

If you have more questions, post again later in the year. We're all out on the road and it may be tough to get a more specific response right now from 4th years. Good luck!

I'm looking to apply for plastics this upcoming year and wanted to get some feedback on my competitiveness for integrated. Step 1: 241, upper 1/3 of my class, let's just assume not AOA, multiple research projects but not in the plastics realm. Any thoughts?

After meeting booswim542 on the trail (myself being one of those anxiously awaiting the match!), I completely agree with her comments. That being said, you've probably seen this document already but I always find it useful to look at to get a very rough idea of how "competitive" you are. The "Charting Outcomes in the Match 2009" is the most recent document available from the NRMP that gives some idea as to competitiveness of the NRMP match specialties: http://www.nrmp.org/data/chartingoutcomes2009v3.pdf

It definitely gives a nice outline for Step 1 score averages and quartiles, research, AOA, volunteer, etc. In addition, the Program Director Survey 2010 is also an interesting document. It gives you an idea of what Program Directors are looking for in applicants: http://www.nrmp.org/data/programresultsbyspecialty2010v3.pdf

Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery is getting more competitive every year. Talk to your mentor and ask if you should apply to both General Surgery and Integrated Plastics. They will look at your overall application and hopefully give you a straightforward answer. Although your research is not in plastics, it would be advisable to find a lab doing plastics research or get involved in clinical research now. This will help two-fold by: 1) demonstrating your interest in plastics 2) getting you networked with a plastics PI, and hopefully a publication and maybe presentation at a national meeting where you can meet others.

Talk to residents who have recently graduated from your medical school who went into plastics and both matched or didn't match. Ask them what they did to get them noticed and into the program of their choice or what they didn't do that they wish they had.

You will soon learn (as I recently have) how small the plastics community really is and that almost every PD and plastic surgeon knows one another. It's rather remarkable. That being said, networking can go a long way, so start now. Good luck, and hope to see you around!

Can someone explain the 3+3 programs? So can you apply those directly out of medical school? What is the difference between that and an integrated program, just the way the residency is structured??

Combined = first 3 years are spent in and run by GS, then you automatically get a spot in PRS for the next 3 years

Integrated = first 3 years are spent in GS but those years are run by PRS, then you switch over to all PRS for the final 3 years

Combined = first 3 years are spent in and run by GS, then you automatically get a spot in PRS for the next 3 years

Integrated = first 3 years are spent in GS but those years are run by PRS, then you switch over to all PRS for the final 3 years

Thanks for the explanation! I never knew that existed.

OldNo7:

step 1 is fine, don't dwell on it. good enough but not shoo-in for an interview.

upper 1/3 of class: again, good enough, doesn't mean you'll match.

non-AOA: not a deal-breaker. case in point, my med school had 4 candidates, we all matched, only 1 was AOA (not me!). and some AOA peeps may suck b/c they come across as social *****s (arrogant, rude, no tact), use that to your advantage

multiple research but not plastics: good but not ideal. crank out easy projects in plastics that at least are submittable/abstract quality. your non-plastics stuff is great, but not as useful as pertinent plastics work. be good as spin doctor to correlate your non-plastics work to plastics (e.g., i cultured adipose stem cells ad nauseum, useful for fat grafting work)

even if you mitigate any and all factors, it's a crapshoot. "being a good fit" may be the dealbreaker. interview well, don't be a douchebag, and have important people go to bat for you at the right time (late Jan/early-to-mid Feb). seriously, don't be a douchebag - you may match but kill chances at an academic job 6 yrs from now...don't burn bridges. humility good/par, arrogance/cockiness BAD BAD BAD.

plastics is such a small field that politics/networking ability can make the difference btw plastics-matching and matching in an outstanding gen surg (but obviously non-plastics) residency. have a fallback plan (gen surg, ortho, ENT) and even still account for a backup to your backup (research fellow position or some 'handshake' agreement for a match next year).

do NOT do a prelim. possible to match in gen surg, MAYBE, but MUCH harder (kick ***** on ur ABSITEs) and the game continues w/ interviews next yr. sorry to insult current/future prelims...

Last edited: