Official 2008 Secondary Essay Prompts Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does anyone know if oregon screens pre-secondary?

they do, but it doesn't hurt to call and ask. i called last week, and it turned out they had sent my secondary aug 1, but i never received it.

Members don't see this ad.

they do, but it doesn't hurt to call and ask. i called last week, and it turned out they had sent my secondary aug 1, but i never received it.

Received what? You mean the letter regarding your user and password? The application is online. GL!

Anyone hear word from Emory? It's about to be September...I know they sent an email a few weeks ago but I'm just anxious to get my last secondary done with

Members don't see this ad :)
Received what? You mean the letter regarding your user and password? The application is online. GL!

yes, i didn't receive any email from OHSU even though they said they had emailed me-- i think things sometimes just get lost. i've been checking my spam folder regularly too. so i'm just saying, it doesn't hurt to call to check...

yes, i didn't receive any email from OHSU even though they said they had emailed me-- i think things sometimes just get lost. i've been checking my spam folder regularly too. so i'm just saying, it doesn't hurt to call to check...

Oh no. It's all snail mail. I just received a snail mail confirmation of a complete secondary today. If they have been e-mailing you tell them "Where's my letter?! You guys don't e-mail the stuff I need!" :p

yeah i got the snail mail with my username and password today. i was just wondering if they screen because it was worded strangely "you are eligible to receive our secondary application." if you haven't gotten yours and they said you were going to get one i would definitely call and ask them for your username and password - you can fill it out online.

Could someone post the Emory secondary questions?
Thanks!

yeah i got the snail mail with my username and password today. i was just wondering if they screen because it was worded strangely "you are eligible to receive our secondary application." if you haven't gotten yours and they said you were going to get one i would definitely call and ask them for your username and password - you can fill it out online.

They do screen...if you didn't know.. :p

Has any one heard from the University of Minnesota yet? I got a letter in the mail from them back in early July saying that I'd soon receive instructions to fill out the secondary...but no word yet

Has any one heard from the University of Minnesota yet? I got a letter in the mail from them back in early July saying that I'd soon receive instructions to fill out the secondary...but no word yet

Same here. I received the same letter a while ago, but I haven't heard a word from them ever since.

Does anybody know if UNM's secondary has a question about alumni relatives?? I'm thinking of applying since my mother went to medical school there, but I was wondering if they even ask that question on the secondary... Thanks!

UNM's sexy secondary squestions (because alliteration is hawt):
Their secondary is a little wonky looking. They give you a broad section and ask you to respond to the prompts within the alloted character limit. I hope that's unambiguous. If not, I've really done all I can to help you. PS. I love you?
Activities section. (2000 character limit)
-Scholarly Projects
Please describe any scholarly projects such as thesis, research or field studies, in which you have been involved. These may include clinical science, basic science or non-science projects. Non-science areas may include any artistic projects you might have done in theater, visual arts, music, writing, etc. If you have received any awards for these projects or if any work has been published or produced, please describe these.
-New Programs Begun
From the programs or projects described above, list and describe any new programs, activities, classes, businesses, team sports, expeditions, and so forth, that you may have begun.
-Organizations
Please describe if you have been an active member or held a leadership position in any organizations, activities, classes, and so forth, in any of the situations you have described above.
-Clinical
Please describe any experiences in a clinical setting (such as a hospital, physicians office, nursing home, hospice, etc.).
-Volunteer
Please describe any experiences in a community volunteer setting or other types of caring experiences whether these be paid or unpaid.
-Extracurricular
Please describe any extracurricular activities not previously listed (such as research or travel).

Background section. (2000 character limit)
-Background
Please share the unique and interesting factors in your bakground (i.e. quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity,or life/work experiences) and discuss how these factors have influenced your goals and preparation for medicine.
-Languages
What languages do you speak in addition to English and how well do read or speak those languages?
-Diversity
Please describe your experiences in dealing with diverse populations?
-Career Goals
What are your career goals in the field of medicine and what would you like to accomplish?

Sorry, nothing about your mama specifically, but there are plenty of places to include that kind of information.

Same here. I received the same letter a while ago, but I haven't heard a word from them ever since.

did you two get snail mail letters? i didn't as i got an email invite saying i would be receiving a secondary in august sometime....

Anyone hear word from Emory? It's about to be September...I know they sent an email a few weeks ago but I'm just anxious to get my last secondary done with

Just to satisfy my curiosity and the fact that I can never talk to a person when I call or the voicemail is full, has anyone heard anything about Emory's secondary???

Members don't see this ad :)
did you two get snail mail letters? i didn't as i got an email invite saying i would be receiving a secondary in august sometime....

i got a snail mail letter from the office of student diversity back in July-ish. Their website says something about how they consider any one who returns the secondary before oct 15 in the "first wave" of applicants. so i guess we might have to wait a while then

Just to satisfy my curiosity and the fact that I can never talk to a person when I call or the voicemail is full, has anyone heard anything about Emory's secondary???

Nothing here for the last 3 weeks or so.

1. Beyond what you have written in your AMCAS Personal Comments, discuss your early life experiences, family background and aspects of your home community that have led to your decision to become a physician. Limit responses to 250 words.

2. Describe a difficult life experience and how you dealt with it. Limit responses to 250 words.

3. Our medical school is committed to enrolling and graduating a diverse student body. The Admissions Committee considers the following: high academic potential, disadvantaged background, race and ethnicity, evidence of outstanding leadership, creativity, unique work or service experience, community involvement, non-traditional educational progression, and demonstrated commitment to working with diverse populations. How would you contribute to the diversity of the University of Minnesota Medical School - Twin Cities student body? Limit responses to 250 words.

4. If you did not designate Minnesota as your state of legal residence on your AMCAS application, briefly describe any ties that you might have to this state. Limit responses to 50 words

5. Briefly describe what you are currently doing. If you have already graduated, please indicate what you have been doing since graduation, and what your plans are for the coming year.
Limit responses to 200 words.

6. Please explain any gaps in your education and/or work experiences since high school graduation that are not previously described in your application.
Limit responses to 200 words.

7. Should you not be accepted to medical school, the alternative career that you would pursue is: Limit responses to 50 words.

8. Have you ever been convicted of any felony or misdemeanor? If YES, you must include a full explanation below.

9. What other pertinent information would you like to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee? Limit responses to 150 words.

Does any one have any specific information besides pay them so they can look at our primary? Such as essay questions?

Thanks

I just called Emory, and their pre-recorded message said that their secondary will be emailed to applicants in mid-September.

Emory is getting REEDICULOUS. It's like a war of attrition to see how long we applicants will stay interested. Naturally, they know most of us including myself are desperate enough to be interested as long as Emory requires of us.

Emory is getting REEDICULOUS. It's like a war of attrition to see how long we applicants will stay interested. Naturally, they know most of us including myself are desperate enough to be interested as long as Emory requires of us.

Ha, I don't even think this wait is that bad. Last year, Duke's application came out EXTREMELY late - and you KNOW how Duke's application is, with the million-and-one essays.

Does Robert Wood Johnson screen applicants before sending secondaries?

So they send it out to everyone heh!!!

Does MSUCHM screen presecondary? I feel like I know nothing about anything right now. :D

Thanks Jolie South! So I didn't know that the secondaries were going to be requested at a certain time. I was thinking that everything was sent out at the same time. :rolleyes: What do I know. So if there are no essays, I can just complete and submit it?

Thanks Jolie South! So I didn't know that the secondaries were going to be requested at a certain time. I was thinking that everything was sent out at the same time. :rolleyes: What do I know. So if there are no essays, I can just complete and submit it?

Oh, there are essays too, but to get access to them you have to pay first.

then after submitting the essays, they will ask for your LORs if they want them.

this particular secondary is very weird.

most others you just send everything off at the same time (payment, essays, photos, LORs).

What I meant was that if any school's secondary has no essays then I can just fill it out and submit it. :)

Is there a list out that contains the schools that screen? I just want to know who is interested and who just sends out to everyone.

Thanks guys! I do have a copy of that book so I will check it out. The problem is that some of the school don't list certain information like other schools do.

Thanks guys! I do have a copy of that book so I will check it out. The problem is that some of the school don't list certain information like other schools do.

In the MSAR, the information on whether or not the school screens is on the right-hand page, first column on the left near the top.

Is there a list out that contains the schools that screen? I just want to know who is interested and who just sends out to everyone.

To the best of my knowledge:

It looks like this is one of the hot questions (of this season?) I personally don't bother to keep the list because most of them don't work the way I expect. The only schools that will save my time and secondary fee are Wake Forest, Indiana and Nebraska. Stanford (+ UNC and Vandy, I guess) do help in the upper, higher, major, reach, top 10s, 15s, 20s level or whatever. The cut off MCAT for me is 27/8 in general and 35/10 for the elites. For GPA, it might help to check the pre secondary rejection at WakeForest and VCU this cycle. Only either the PS or the EC can resuscitate an applicant.

Thank you guys for the information!

Emory prompts:

A. If it was not included on your AMCAS application, please list your entire curriculum plan for the 2007-2008 academic year. (If you are not currently in school, you may leave this question blank.)

B. Briefly describe (in 100 words or less) what you are doing if you are no longer a fulltime student.

C. Briefly describe (in approximately 100 words) any health-related experience and/or research experience (volunteer or employed). Also, indicate the time and frequency of your involvement. Note: If you have had experience in several health-related areas, list each with a very brief description. Or, you may choose the most meaningful experience and describe it in more detail.

D. Briefly describe (in approximately 100 words) any special interests attracting you to Emory.

Hate to be a pain, but does anybody know where I can find the secondary prompts for the following school:

SUNY Up State
SUNY Down State
NY Medical College
Drexel
Virginia Common
U of Utah
Morehouse
U of Nebraska
West Virginia
Medical U of Ohio
Loma Linda
Stanford

Hate to be a pain, but does anybody know where I can find the secondary prompts for the following school:

SUNY Up State
SUNY Down State
NY Medical College
Drexel
Virginia Common
U of Utah
Morehouse
U of Nebraska
West Virginia
Medical U of Ohio
Loma Linda
Stanford

upstate, nymc, drexel have no essays i believe
downstate's secondary is available on their website http://sls.downstate.edu/admissions/medicine/index.html

upstate, nymc, drexel have no essays i believe
downstate's secondary is available on their website http://sls.downstate.edu/admissions/medicine/index.html

Thanks so much, I really like Downstate's website!

If anybody else can shed some light on the secondaries for the remaining schools below it will be greatly appreciated!

Virginia Commonwealth
U of Utah
Morehouse
U of Nebraska
West Virginia
Medical U of Ohio
Loma Linda
Stanford

Thanks so much, I really like Downstate's website!

If anybody else can shed some light on the secondaries for the remaining schools below it will be greatly appreciated!

Virginia Commonwealth
U of Utah
Morehouse
U of Nebraska
West Virginia
Medical U of Ohio
Loma Linda
Stanford
Stanford:

The Committee on Admissions strongly encourages you to share unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity, or life or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine. (2000 char.)

7. What do you see as the most likely practice scenario for your future medical career?

a. Choose the single answer that best describes your career goals.
(private practice, health policy, academic medicine, public health, health care admin)

b. Why do you feel you are particularly suited for this practice scenario? What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that have prepared you for this career path? (1000 char.)

c. How will the Stanford curriculum, and specifically the requirement for a scholarly concentration, help your personal career goals? (1000 char.)

8. If you have publications resulting from scholarly endeavors, then in the space below, please complete a citation for each of your publications using the following format: Author, Title, Journal, Volume, Pages, and Date of Publication. This section applies for papers that have been published or been accepted for publication.

I'm looking for Loma Linda as well - is it listed somewhere that I have missed?:confused:

is there a list of willing readers who help out on secondary essays??? I need some:)

Could someone please share the UMinn Twin Cities Secondary with me?

I couldn't seem to find it. As well, how long did it take to receive their email after the first initial email from them stating that you've been verifed with them?

Thanks.

It would be extremely helpful to post the secondary deadlines next to the schools. Some people are freaking out trying to get them done by 10/15 when the deadlines are much later.

^BUMP^

Einstein link is now dead. Anyone have an updated link?