*Official 2004 NBDE Part I scores*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Viraj said:
yo guys, what kinda envolope did the scores came in, as I m gonna tell my roommate to open it for me, as i m not at my place currently.

It came in a regular legal sized envelope from the ADA.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know why everyone has the idea that you can't specialize unless you have 90 or above. Sure a score of 90 is better, but my only classmate who applied for OMS got Matced in the first round and scored in the mid 80's on both Part 1 and 2. Also, I think someone got into Pros with a low 80. I don't know how residencies choose there residents but I would think that knowing someone took the exam twice would be worse than someone who scored 85 and had other EC/externships/research on their CV.

On the other hand anyone who is taking it again - you guys have more stamina than I ever did. Good luck

Anatomical Sciences: 95
Biochemistry/Physiology: 95
Microbiology/Pathology: 97
Dental Anatomy: 97

Overall Average: 96

Cumulative Study Hours: 150. I can't study much more than 8-9 hours a day with out burning myself out so I started about a month early and paced myself. I would take my parents boat on the middle of the lake and float for hours without distraction with my dental decks.

Most Difficult Section: I thought it was anatomical sciences because i felt our school didn't give us enough histology background. I think they are tweaking the schedule to accommidate next year's class.

Study DOs: I read kaplan, did the tests back till '85, did decks twice, and did q-bank while i was bored in class. (it's still pretty much useless) I went out to the bars to take a stress relief breaks with my buddies occasionally. I think it helped keep me on task. study hard and reward yourself.

Study DON'Ts: don't waste good study time with q-bank. don't freak out and remember its only a test... :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
I can let everyone in on the secret that grtuck & Tarheel and budding Oral Pathologists, with an emphasis on radiological interpretation of infant lesions. :) Good job, lads. Perhaps I'll post as my two surrogate brothers have.

Anatomical Sciences: 95
Biochemistry/Physiology: 97
Microbiology/Pathology: 99
Dental Anatomy: 99

Overall Average: 98 (97.5)

Cumulative Study Hours: Approximately 2-3 hrs/day for 4 months, then 5-6 hrs/day for the last two weeks

Most Difficult Section: Anatomy

Study DOs: Read through the decks, but BEWARE OF MISTAKES! The first time I went through the decks, I did so very slowly, looking up everything on the cards that was new or unfamiliar to me.

The books I used for reference were:

1. Anatomy: Ferenbach (head and neck), Netter (general)
2. Histology: Ferenbach (oral histo), Wheater (general)
3. Biochem: High Yield Biochem
4. Physio: BRS Physio
5. Micro: Micro Made Ridiculously Simple
6. Path: BRS Path
7. Dental Anatomy/Occlusion: My own notes (if anyone wants a copy, PM me and I'll send you the files)

If you can get your hands on any unreleased exams, do so. I had the 2000 pilot, the 1994, and 1997 as unreleased exams

Study DON'Ts: Don't stress out! Don't try to do more than 40 cards per section per day - it's overkill. I started by spending one month on each section. At the end of each month, I would do all the exam questions that pertained to that section. For the last two weeks, I did 100 cards/day, 25 from each section and went over the more recent (1989 and beyond) exams.

DO NOT, BY ANY MEANS, USE THE KAPLAN BOOK - IT'S WAY OVERKILL!

*QUOTE* UNLV OMS WANABE: So, grtuck and tarheel, what are you guys interested in doing after d school?

Right now we haven't had a chance to do much oral surgery or endo (start our first endo cases this month), so it's hard to say until we actually have some clinical experience in those areas, but both of us have really enjoyed our orthodontic patients that we have been working with. Also, we have been doing a lot of research with the orthodontic faculty and have gotten to know them really well too. This has inspired us, at this point, to lean towards orthodontics.

*QUOTE* nug: Nice scores! When you left the exam were you like "wow, that was easy." Or did you not have any idea that you did so well?

We actually both felt pretty good about our scores coming out of the test, but by the time we actually recieved our scores we were a little nervous about them. I guess we started to worry about stupid mistakes and stuff that always seems to happen on a big test like that.

Pollei why haven't you posted your scores yet? Maybe everyone else in our class will too, cause you gotta know Dave, Jon, and Andy (among others) did awesome.

grtuck

This thread should be titled "If you scored a 95 or higher, please post your scores!"

Damn, y'all have amazing scores. Any OMFS hopefuls!

Man these scores are obnoxious. Congratulations to everyone who passed. Did any of you have classmates who studied a minimal amount of time, and passed?

Do those numbers convert to a national percentile? Like is a 95 equal to the 95th percentile or anything like that?

Hi.

I would also appreciate any info on which is a good site or person to them off of.

Thanks!

nug said:
Do those numbers convert to a national percentile? Like is a 95 equal to the 95th percentile or anything like that?

no - the %ile conversion is on the back of your score card

yah e is right this thread should be title post only if your scored 95 or higher - at marquette in my class no one scored 95; however, we had quite a few in the 90's highest being 93

UNLV students: what have you been hearing for scores for your classmates? Just curious. Are there a LOT in the 90's or just you guys that have posted?

Zurik5 said:
Man these scores are obnoxious. Congratulations to everyone who passed. Did any of you have classmates who studied a minimal amount of time, and passed?

I agree, these scores are sick! Someone with some average scores needs to post and give some of us some hope. There is nothing to be ashamed of, if you passed you did a good job!

Members don't see this ad :)
JRogoff said:
I agree, these scores are sick! Someone with some average scores needs to post and give some of us some hope.

A couple have scores in the 80s, including me.

And as a follow-up, as of now I am NOT retaking the Boards. I think I can acheive my career goals without having to retake it (although if I must then I will).

ItsGavinC said:
A couple have scores in the 80s, including me.

And as a follow-up, as of now I am NOT retaking the Boards. I think I can acheive my career goals without having to retake it (although if I must then I will).

smart move. :thumbup:

coodoo said:
smart move. :thumbup:

I hope so. I've always planned on doing 1-2 years of a GPR/AEGD no matter what, so as of now I'm planning on doing that and then applying to specialty programs.

We'll see if that allows me enough leverage to get anywhere.

ItsGavinC said:
I hope so. I've always planned on doing 1-2 years of a GPR/AEGD no matter what, so as of now I'm planning on doing that and then applying to specialty programs.

I think if you continue to show and pursue and interest in the specialty field you're interested in, a high B on part 1 is sufficient to land you a spot.

predentchick said:
UNLV students: what have you been hearing for scores for your classmates? Just curious. Are there a LOT in the 90's or just you guys that have posted?

I know of 7 for sure, I'm sure there are a handfull more.

grtuck and tarheel just want everyone to know who the dead weight in their study group is....

And I think we had something like 15 in the 90's.

Count el vprez in that 15 as well (and if that number is accurate i must say im impressed with our class!)

predentchick said:

Aside from OMSWannabe and a few others, there are not too many that I know of in the 90's. OMSfan is one which most likely scored in the 90's and we haven't heard from on this forum. I do not know how the class did as a whole, however. I do know the UNLV curriculum is evolving well and I think your class will be more prepared in taking the exam. Reflecting back on my experience with this whole thing and my score (88-- nothing to be proud of and probably not enough to specialize but it's a pass) I truly believe that the biggest factor in your score is yourself and how much self preparation you put into the boards. I got an 88 because that is really what I deserved. Basically, my score is a good reflection of what I have put into school since day 1 two years ago. Do not worry about your performance, though. Just study hard and you will do well!

prechilill said:
Reflecting back on my experience with this whole thing and my score (88-- nothing to be proud of and probably not enough to specialize but it's a pass)

As an aside, an 88 is plenty high to specialize. You might not match at your top choice, but it can be done.

Contrary to popular SDN belief, not everybody rocks the Boards with a 95+. The MAJORITY of people score 80-85, so anything out of that range is a job well done. Of course, those upper 90s scores are exceptional, but they certainly aren't everything (nor do they say anything about the caliber of the person and their ability to relate to patients).

Count in mr.kaplan, the dead-weight idolizer of another obvious elite-15 member 007... :cool:

ItsGavinC said:

Gavin, you?re definitely devoted, I'm sure you'll be fine.

prechilill said:
Aside from OMSWannabe and a few others, there are not too many that I know of in the 90's. OMSfan is one which most likely scored in the 90's and we haven't heard from on this forum...

Hey All,
It's been a long while since I've posted...found myself getting addicted and had to cut the ties a bit. I was reading tonight and saw this...So here they are.

Anatomical: 85 (disappointing...got rocked)
Bio/Phys: 93
Micro/Path: 89 (again...bummer on this one)
Dent. Anat: 95

Average: 91

I studied about 60 hrs or so for the test. Some of that was here or there in the month or so preceeding. Started reading Kaplan but gave up...too much detail. The last week or so I hit it hard. We didn't have much free time to study at UNLV. I only went through the decks once...in retrospect should have done those more. Didn't do any old tests other than what they gave us in our review course. I am not probably a good model of preparation. I sort of relied on what I remembered from the courses. I'm glad to see so many people with BIG scores on SDN. As far as I know...8 in the 90's from UNLV but there are likely more. Lots are staying quiet...oh well.

There seems to be a common theme of lower scores in anatomy. Purely coincidence, I'm sure, but it might not be a bad idea for future test takers to take note.

bitecys said:
Anatomical Sciences: 94
Biochemistry/Physiology: 92
Microbiology/Pathology: 96
Dental Anatomy: 99

Overall Average: 95

Cumulative Study Hours: 8-10 hours/day for 2 weeks
Recommended Studying Materials: OLD EXAMS, DECKS...that's it.
Most Difficult Section: I usually felt that micro was the hardest for me when taking old exams, but on test day, biochem was much more difficult for me.
Study DOs: Look at all the old exams, repeat questions are everywhere.
Study DON'Ts: Don't take more than 2 weeks as you will burn out and there is a point that continued studying won't help much at all.

Needless to say, I am very happy with the score I received. I studied like crazy for those 2 weeks and I think it paid off.
Conmgratulations. you prepared well and was well motivated!!!

IS there any correlation between NBDE part I and DAT score? People should post both. that would be interesting to see.

dc-10 said:
IS there any correlation between NBDE part I and DAT score? People should post both. that would be interesting to see.

Over a BROAD scope you would see a correlation, but such it is with anything. For example, if you n=20 then you might not see much of any correlation. But, if n=4000 then you certainly would see a trend where those who scored higher on the DAT also scored higher on Part I.

But at the same time, motivations of test-takers for those two groups are entirely different. It IS a true fact that some people who scored very well on the DAT may not have put much time into studying for Part I because they really didn't have any motivating factors to do so.

ItsGavinC said:
But at the same time, motivations of test-takers for those two groups are entirely different. It IS a true fact that some people who scored very well on the DAT may not have put much time into studying for Part I because they really didn't have any motivating factors to do so.

You just definied my entire philosophy :D

Just to confirm what some have said about NBDE I scores and specializing: Although 90 and above is desireable when shooting for some of the more competitive specialities straight out of dental school, mid 80's and above is very competitive when coupled with about two years of GP work under your belt. On the other hand, one may start to become less competitve again after about 5-7 years of GP work. (All that from a D4 and D3 who are close to my heart). The D4 scored 87 last year. The D3 announced a score of 93 during dinner last night. When the subject of specializing came up, both seemed inclined to go the GP for at least a year or two before making any decision about specializing.

Hey guys.......I was honest and said I scored an 86...and up until that point in the post that was BY FAR the lowest score reported!! What's up with all the 80's people not fessing up? It's still a great score!

Contrary to popular SDN belief, not everybody rocks the Boards with a 95+. The MAJORITY of people score 80-85, so anything out of that range is a job well done. Of course, those upper 90s scores are exceptional, but they certainly aren't everything (nor do they say anything about the caliber of the person and their ability to relate to patients).[/QUOTE]

Well said. Mid eighties is nothing to sneeze at. The high 90's people are rare, rare, rare. And the low 90's people put some serious time in. Besides, it's not all about boards scores. I have crappy grades with a good board score. It doesn't always match up. And needless to say, I bet I'm better with my patients than some of my genius classmates.

Again with this message board the scores are right on target. GPAs always 3.8, DATS upper 20s, NB part 1 95s.

85 average

82 Anatomy
84 Biochem
87 Micro
88 Dental Anatomy

2 weeks of light studies, finished the first time through the decks the night before the exam. Got a chance to look at 2 years worth of archives before I ran out of time. Once through the relevent portions of the usmle.

DAT since someone asked

20 academic
23 PAT

highest section 27 reading comp

interestingly, lowest section of the MCAT

7 in reading comprehension :laugh:

There you go, bring on the 80s.

Dat 19 AA/ 16 PA (3rd time!)

NDB 1 - 92 / NDB 2 - 88
Canadian Boards 81 written/80 OSCE

I don't think there is any correlation

I believe there is a correlation in determination/motivation. If one wants to get into a competitive dental school, then he will study his @ss off for the DAT. If one wants to specialize, then he will study his @ss off to get aim for a 90.

Which type of person are you?

Group #1: I know I want to specialize therefore I will get a 90

OR

Group 2: Lets see if I can get a 90 first, then I'll see if I want to specialize?

Once you define which type of person you are, then the NBDE Part 1 score statistics will correlate within that particular group. I bet group #1's NBDE Part 1 statistics will be much higher than group #2 people.

The more time you put into your studies, the better your performance will be. Of course, some innate talent won't hurt either!

Hey Gents,

This subject has actually been studied in an academic setting...

1. De Ball S, Sullivan K, Horine J, Duncan WK, Replogle W.
The relationship of performance on the dental admission test and performance on Part I of the National Board Dental Examinations.
J Dent Educ. 2002 Apr;66(4):478-84. Review.

2. Kramer GA. Predictive validity of the Dental Admission Test.
J Dent Educ. 1986 Sep;50(9):526-31.

Posted by ItsGavinC:

"Over a BROAD scope you would see a correlation, but such it is with anything. For example, if you n=20 then you might not see much of any correlation. But, if n=4000 then you certainly would see a trend where those who scored higher on the DAT also scored higher on Part I."

Actually, from a statistical standpoint, this is not exactly true. Yes, it is true that generally increasing the sample size may tease out correlations that are otherwise masked, but there is a cost for doing so. Given that the ADA strives to maintain predictive validity for each of these tests, and given that their alpha error is highly unlikely to be greater than 0.05, it would be necessary, from a statistical standpoint, for the corrleations to be strong enough to be observed in a small cohort (I'd bet n < 200).

The only stipulations for such a cohort would be that the DAT/GPA/NBDE values would have to be normally distributed to represent the population of people taking these tests.

AjM

Yah-E said:
I believe there is a correlation in determination/motivation. If one wants to get into a competitive dental school, then he will study his @ss off for the DAT. If one wants to specialize, then he will study his @ss off to get aim for a 90.

Yes, but there are many people who fall into the first situation mentioned but don't care about specializing. That is, MOST people study like crazy for the DAT to ensure they gain admissions. But far fewer people study like crazy for the NBDE because they don't put any personal weight on Part I scores.

Therefore, attempting to draw correlations between high DAT scores and high NBDE scores is nearly impossible because there will be many more people with high DAT scores and lower NBDE scores than there will be with low DAT scores and high NBDE scores.

I think what really matters is motivation to do ones best whether specializing is an external motivating factor or not. In my situation, I could not specialize out of dental school whether I even wanted to (being a canadian with canadian bank loans - not student loans - I could not defer payment if I went into some sort of residency program.) yet I always had some competitive nature when it came to test taking - and I suppose many of the people on SDN do to. I also think some people are just good at taking multiple choice tests regardless of amount of time studied.

Secondly, I personally think this test is just a money maker. Approximately, 2% of all test takers fail any section, so what does that tell you? It tells me that anyone who puts any sort of effort will jump through the hoop. I know plenty of classmates who scored in the 70's/low 80's and were/are excellent clinicians. One of my best friends from dental school actually failed part 2 the first time and had the best interpersonal relationship skills of anyone. Alternately, He passed CRDTS with probabley the highest score in the class!

Lastly, Nobody has to be embarrassed of there scores. Heck, I scored 78 on the CRDTS examination - with 75 being a pass. I don't think this makes me any less of dentist.

We just recieved email from our Dean here at Tufts, letting us know about the our class's average on the National Borads Part 1. I was surprised to see such a high average of 89.1%. Now all my doubts r cleared about my class, they all r nerds!!!! lol....
Viraj

Viraj said:
We just recieved email from our Dean here at Tufts, letting us know about the our class's average on the National Borads Part 1. I was surprised to see such a high average of 89.1%. Now all my doubts r cleared about my class, they all r nerds!!!! lol....
Viraj
I am with you Viraj. My class average was an 88! makes my score, though in the mid 90's, seems not all that impressive. I mean even if I got a 98(which i didn't) i think it would be disappointing to only be 10 points over the average. My class are all nerds as well! lol... :D This competition thing sucks. :thumbdown:

I have a question. What % of test takers score 90 or above? If a class average is 89.1, a 90 doesn't seem all that good. What is Harvard's or Uconn's class average?

GatorDMD said:
I mean even if I got a 98(which i didn't) i think it would be disappointing to only be 10 points over the average.

But it isn't just 10 points, it's 10 SCALED points, which is quite a different thing. The difference in # of questions correct between a 98 and an 88 is roughly 15-20 per section, or 60-80 total out of 400. That's a HUGE difference in correct questions.

I heard from a friend that Harvard's average this year was 93.5.

AjM

I heard 3 people from ucla scored 99. Kinda crazy I thought...