Officer Rank vis HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

torshi

Squirrel
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
via*
Do you become an O-1 right when you accept the HPSP scholarship then when you're done with medical school you become an O-3?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You become an O-1 when, after accepting the HPSP, you are adminsitered your oath of office by an officer. Likewise, you are recommissioned an O-3 when you are administered the oath again (I think there may be some service specific nuances of timing, but generally at the end of med school).

You become an O-1 when, after accepting the HPSP, you are adminsitered your oath of office by an officer. Likewise, you are recommissioned an O-3 when you are administered the oath again (I think there may be some service specific nuances of timing, but generally at the end of med school).
Thank you for the clarification. And after 4 years of active duty do they rank up beyond O-3 depending on how well they did etc?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anything's possible.

I just saw a LT get convicted of four felonies at a general court martial and exit with a 'reprimand' and 'retain on active duty' sentence. He probably won't make O4 though.

Was he line or staff?

As I grill my memory more, I believe that 75% of O-3 in the USN get picked up for LCDR.

At the same time, I wonder if that 4-felony convicted officer realizes that, were he a civilian, he would be 3 strikes and out on one call, and face life in prison.

As an officer, so just curious as to how promotion to O-4 will work once I come back on active duty.

Well, I can only speak for the Army, but you would get 1/2 credit for all time spent as a non-medical corps officer. So, you would pin on O-4 near the end of your PGY-2.

Was he line or staff?

Nurse Corps ... CRNA. He had prior enlisted service and is >20. I'm sure he'll just retire as an O3. The charges were theft and drug related, with some ankle-biter bonus charges thrown in too. This particular guy has other history too ... including an assault arrest, a UA trip to another country, a captain's mast at this same command.

We're all just incredulous that a jury could convict on all charges but then offer up a reprimand as the only punishment.

At the same time, I wonder if that 4-felony convicted officer realizes that, were he a civilian, he would be 3 strikes and out on one call, and face life in prison.

I'd like to think that he'll seize this undeserved (IMO) opportunity to straighten his **** out, and lead a safe, happy, and productive life from here out.

Regardless of the non-sentence the Navy is content with, I suppose that since he has federal felony convictions now, post-retirement he will have license, certification, credential, and job problems. I wouldn't hire him to work as a CRNA. Maybe someone will though. Maybe he'll enter practice as a RN somewhere under a plan of supervision. Maybe he'll just live off his retirement pay and do nothing.

Never in 1000 years would I have believed this outcome if I hadn't witnessed it myself.

Well, I can only speak for the Army, but you would get 1/2 credit for all time spent as a non-medical corps officer. So, you would pin on O-4 near the end of your PGY-2.

I'm guessing that it's not different in the AF. Thanks for the reply.

Its automatic to O-4 after 6 years

I don't know if that's how it works in the AF, but it's not the case in the Navy. O-1 --> O2 --> O-3 are automatic after 2 years in each rank. (In HPSP you skip O-2.) But after that you are considered by promotion boards. I think it's very possible not to get picked up for O-4 if you don't have a good record. Especially the way things are going with retention right now… They could very easily let you serve your time out as an O-3 and send you on your merry way.

I don't know if that's how it works in the AF, but it's not the case in the Navy. O-1 --> O2 --> O-3 are automatic after 2 years in each rank. (In HPSP you skip O-2.) But after that you are considered by promotion boards. I think it's very possible not to get picked up for O-4 if you don't have a good record. Especially the way things are going with retention right now… They could very easily let you serve your time out as an O-3 and send you on your merry way.

I understand its not truly an automatic promotion like O-1 to O-2. This was already pointed out by other posters last month...if you are a screw up you might not make O-4.

A physician who isnt a complete waste of space and stays out of trouble will make O-4 after 6 years.

I believe that prior service as an officer is credited half time towards promotion to O-4.

In my case I will have 10 years served when I make the switch. So when I graduate I will promote to O-3 with 5 years credit towards the O-4 promotion.

I heard that you are essentially auto promoted to 0-4 on completion of a fellowship if that comes before the 6 year time frame. Does anyone know if that is correct or not?

Not true. The minimum time requirements are still the same, fellowship or not. That being said, my guess is that fellowship trained folks are usually selected up as soon as they are in zone, and maybe a rare few below zone. Barring any skeletons in their closets.

The selection rate for O4, in the Navy at least, has been running pretty high, 95% of in zone in FY12.

Just make sure you're within height and weight standards, and you have your picture up to date.

Actually, the thing that I have seen hold up some promotions is amongst people coming on to active duty following NADDS during the year they are in zone for 0-4. In the eyes BUPERS you are transitioning from the reserves to full time active duty. Which normally means you are delayed one year from consideration for promotion if you are now eligible, unless you request in writing to waive that delay. Don't forget to look into that if this may apply to you.

The selection rate for O4, in the Navy at least, has been running pretty high, 95% of in zone in FY12.

The precept usually allows for 100% selection to O4 in the Medical Corps. The Board tends to be more of a deselection process.