Offered an interview for South Dakota...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweetcalie08

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whoa! To my sweet delight, I received a nice piece of mail yesterday. I have now scheduled my pharmacy interview at South Dakota State University for March 19th. I cannot believe I even made it this far. However, I do realize that many applicants still receive interviews and get denied (ie MNnaloxone). Gee, I sure hope that if I am waitlisted there, I will have a similar experience to MNnaloxone in that I am told I still have a chance of acceptance. I so want to get into that pharmacy school! I am still grateful for even this interview, though. Like I have mentioned before, I am extremely nervous for this interview because I have never had a major, formal interview in my life and also hate writing papers (2 pages) in a somewhat limited period of time (30 minutes). Why they have us write the essay in pen, I don't know. Also, I'm not a SD resident so I already have that playing against me. :( Plus, I have so much due these next two weeks in school that I won't have much time to prepare for this interview and shop for my outfit! *sigh* Sorry for my ramblings... just wanted to get my thoughts out. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Forgot to mention that all my interactions with representatives of this school have been very positive and pleasant. Seems like an excellent school to me. Yay! But yeah, I better not get too happy yet *sigh* ....

Congrats on the interview!

Don't dwell on the fact that I was immediately waitlisted there because I was a MN resident. Things change every year in the admissions process, and its been 5 since I was there. Heck, I don't even remember an essay when I applied there.

Treat the interview like a conversation, and you'll do fine. The interviewer just wants to get to know you a bit better-and they do that by asking you questions about your life. Have a few of the answers for common questions already thought out (strengths, weaknesses, do in a conflict situation, how you deal with stress, time management), and take it as is comes. These people aren't in it to screw you over-they just want to make sure that you've got the ability to succeed in professional school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks again for another helpful response! You never know if the admissions committee is out to screw you over... but I trust that they probably wouldn't with how nice they already seem and all.

BTW, when do you get the results of the residency match? I'm sure you and some others are also pretty nervous about now. Again, best of luck!

SDSU is quite personable. I wouldn't expect a grilling from them. Now that U of M adcom, they were a bunch of -----, if you believe what my fiancee has to say. And I don't have a choice if I believe her or not...

Also remember that if you don't understand the question, it is perfectly ok for you to ask for clarification. The interviewers would rather hear the answer to the question that they asked, vs the answer to the question that you thought was asked. It doesn't come up often, but keep that in the back of your mind. I had to ask for clarification on 1 question from the 6 interviews and probably 50 or so interviewers (300-500 questions??? More? Unbelievable, but probably true) I went through last month.

Match results on the 22nd. All my interviews went well, and three of the 6 went absolutely stellar (IMO). Now I'll have to see how I hold up against the other applicants...

Nervous? Not really. At 11pm tomorrow night, it is out of my hands. I did the best I could-and if it wasn't good enough, Ill just have to look for something that I'm better at. I was told last week that I should apply for an opening within the COP-I'd help run the Pharm Care lab. Associate Prof (or is it Assistant-I can't ever keep it straight) doesn't sound like a bad deal. Too bad its in Fargo.

OK, maybe a little nervous.

Thanks for the luck! You'll do fine. If it doesn't work out, try again next year for other colleges. Perhaps if we both get screwed over, I could be correcting your pharm care exam at NDSU in a few years. (Now that would be creepy.)

(Still nervous. But it is 4:30-time to leave the rotation for the day)