Offer letter question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beyondbethany

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my first offer letter from a local hospital, it is a job I am very interested in. It spells out the basics of the agreement in broad detail. The salary detailed in the agreement appears solid based on what I can easily find online for average compensation, average WRVU for oncology (I need more data to compare to).

In the email, they said they would like to offer me more (it is a significant difference in the amount/RVU) and would be obtaining an opinion from an outside consultant and then seeking approval from their contract committee. Bottom line, I am wary of signing this offer letter with this possible increase hanging out there. Shouldn't they do this market analysis and approval and then extend me the best offer they can? I know this insn't the final contract but it lays the foundation for those negotiations.

Members don't see this ad.

My understanding is that after they give you the offer letter is the time to start negotiating for more pay, more protected time, or other benefits. So, no, with them tempting you with higher salary, I would negotiate for that. Honestly, most employers would not hang it out there as a possibility if they were playing hardball. Also, I wouldn't sign anything without first having a healthcare lawyer look at it.