Off-Topic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
you should probably not to the HPSP

;)

That's exactly why I'm not applying for it. I think it's a good option for other people though. I think everyone should at least consider it.

Members don't see this ad.

That's exactly why I'm not applying for it. I think it's a good option for other people though. I think everyone should at least consider it.

just messin of course...:D

but yeah, I agree...everyone should consider it for sure. It can be a really good deal, especially(maybe only) if you are at least slightly interested in the military.

Members don't see this ad :)
just messin of course...:D

but yeah, I agree...everyone should consider it for sure. It can be a really good deal, especially(maybe only) if you are at least slightly interested in the military.

Yea it's an awesome deal for anyone interested in military. I wish I was.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Yea it's an awesome deal for anyone interested in military. I wish I was.

So true...especially if you want to go primary care. Those guys come out way ahead.

Where has johnnydrama been?

I think deployment would suck in ways, but be fun in other ways...

This. It's gonna be an adventure. I'm sure there will be a lot about it that sucks, but not everything.

Plus, I don't really mind doing GMO so much as long as it pays back active duty time. No biggie there.

But really, finances aside, I don't think anyone should do it unless there's at least a part of them that wants to do the military.

This. It's gonna be an adventure. I'm sure there will be a lot about it that sucks, but not everything.

Plus, I don't really mind doing GMO so much as long as it pays back active duty time. No biggie there.

But really, finances aside, I don't think anyone should do it unless there's at least a part of them that wants to do the military.

So true...

Where has johnnydrama been?

I know! Its making me think he actually might be a resident for real, and not some know it all 15 year old with an old school doctor father.

:smuggrin:

...One of the most proficient subtle style trolls Ive ever encountered.

So true...

I know! Its making me think he actually might be a resident for real, and not some know it all 15 year old with an old school doctor father.

:smuggrin:

...One of the most proficient subtle style trolls Ive ever encountered.

He's a resident? I always thought he was a med student.

I did a search and I think his most recent post was on 11/27

He's a resident? I always thought he was a med student.

I did a search and I think his most recent post was on 11/27

Supposedly just matched this past spring or whenever...gas or rad. Not that anyone could confirm it.

thats crazy...he usually is blowing this place up!

Supposedly just matched this past spring or whenever...gas or rad. Not that anyone could confirm it.

thats crazy...he usually is blowing this place up!

Oh. Well if he is an intern I'm sure he's extremely busy.

Probably a dumb question, but a military residency doesn't count as active duty, does it? Also, don't the gmo's take place before residency? I don't know why I was thinking they weren't considered active duty either...

So HPSP people need to do a year for each year they receive aid, right? So if someone gets aid for all 4 years of med school then does a 5 year civilian gen surg residency do they now owe the military 9 years?

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably a dumb question, but a military residency doesn't count as active duty, does it? Also, don't the gmo's take place before residency? I don't know why I was thinking they weren't considered active duty either...

If you do a military residency, then it does count as active duty, and you get paid quite a bit more. But, you also accrue additional payback time, year for year, but only up to 4 years. So, even if you do a 5 year residency, you'll still only owe 4 years as an attending. SO...sort of semantics, really because, even though it counts...it doesn't change anything.

GMOs are slightly different depending on the branch of military. In AF, if you dont match military(which you have to rank #1, like any other branch) and you dont "match" for a civilian deferment, you have to do a 2-3 year flight surgeon tour, which allows you to gain points so that you are more likely to match after. Those years do count as payback though, so not horrible I guess.

(I may have some of the details a bit wrong, but thats the gist of it)

So HPSP people need to do a year for each year they receive aid, right? So if someone gets aid for all 4 years of med school then does a 5 year civilian gen surg residency do they now owe the military 9 years?

See above...I forgot to quote this. You'd still just owe 4 years I believe. I think all benefits are deferred during civilian residency as well though...

If you do a military residency, then it does count as active duty, and you get paid quite a bit more. But, you also accrue additional payback time, year for year, but only up to 4 years. So, even if you do a 5 year residency, you'll still only owe 4 years as an attending. SO...sort of semantics, really because, even though it counts...it doesn't change anything.

GMOs are slightly different depending on the branch of military. In AF, if you dont match military(which you have to rank #1, like any other branch) and you dont "match" for a civilian deferment, you have to do a 2-3 year flight surgeon tour, which allows you to gain points so that you are more likely to match after. Those years do count as payback though, so not horrible I guess.

4 years on top of the 4 from med school or 4 total?

My understanding is that If your residency is longer than 4 years then your payback time is equal to your residency time. So a 5 year gen surg Residency means 5 years as an Attending. I'm pretty sure thats how it goes because a friend of mine is currently doing his Neuro surg Residency through AF HPSP and was saying he would have 6 or 7 years of active duty after he was done before he was done with his commitment.

4 years on top of the 4 from med school or 4 total?

4 total, because the military residency would count as the 4 years needed to pay back the four years of med school scholarship. But, then, as a military resident, you get paid really well and they still take care of all expense and debt, so you have to pay back the residency years, but only up to 4 years.

This is like trying to explain credit card policies! I think its intentionally difficult and convoluted...

4 total, because the military residency would count as the 4 years needed to pay back the four years of med school scholarship. But, then, as a military resident, you get paid really well and they still take care of all expense and debt, so you have to pay back the residency years, but only up to 4 years.

This is like trying to explain credit card policies! I think its intentionally difficult and convoluted...

Oh I see. Accrue 4 years of debt, payback 4 years during residency, while simultaneously accruing 4 more years.

So HPSP is basically financially advantageous unless you (as a non-HPSP) can payback all your debt in less than 4 years.

I wonder if the military would get more people to bite if they offered to pay off the loans of attendings in return for equivalent years of service.

My understanding is that If your residency is longer than 4 years then your payback time is equal to your residency time. So a 5 year gen surg Residency means 5 years as an Attending. I'm pretty sure thats how it goes because a friend of mine is currently doing his Neuro surg Residency through AF HPSP and was saying he would have 6 or 7 years of active duty after he was done before he was done with his commitment.

Yeah, this is a topic of debate quite often...After a lot of research over the past few months, Im pretty sure Im right here.

What your situation sounds like is someone doing the HPSP and then the FAP and some people say that you have to serve the full year to year if you do that (like 9 years) But, Ive never read this as a confirmed truth.

The only thing that might be true, is that some people saying that residency payback is 4 years +1, so 5. Sounds pretty confusing to be true.

Most everyone Ive spoken with and read, including a current resident, have confirmed the 4 year cutoff for residency payback.

Oh I see. Accrue 4 years of debt, payback 4 years during residency, while simultaneously accruing 4 more years.

So HPSP is basically financially advantageous unless you (as a non-HPSP) can payback all your debt in less than 4 years.

I wonder if the military would get more people to bite if they offered to pay off the loans of attendings in return for equivalent years of service.

That would be interesting...they really should. They would save the signing bonus and any special pay, as well as the monthly officer pay that HPSP students get.

3. What is the payback?

One year of service per year of scholarship received. Military residencies do count as payback HOWEVER, you also accrue one year of payback for each year of residency after your FYGME year. In other words you can complete one extra year of residency past your level of commitment without incurring more time. (4 year scholarship recipients can do 5 years of post grad training without accruing more time)

In most cases one must complete their internship (FYGME in military lingo) year with the military

One must apply to military residencies and if selected must take that residency. If one is not available in your field or you are not selected you will be deferred to a civilian residency.
Found this in the Millitary Med Forum's HPSP faq, HalftListic you are right except for residencies over 5 years. Which there aren't many of.

Found this in the Millitary Med Forum's HPSP ***, HalftListic you are right except for residencies over 5 years. Which there aren't many of.

+1 we posted at the same time! haha...yeah, Ive heard it this way, which seems to make sense.

Yeah, this is a topic of debate quite often...After a lot of research over the past few months, Im pretty sure Im right here.

What your situation sounds like is someone doing the HPSP and then the FAP and some people say that you have to serve the full year to year if you do that (like 9 years) But, Ive never read this as a confirmed truth.

The only thing that might be true, is that some people saying that residency payback is 4 years +1, so 5. Sounds pretty confusing to be true.

Most everyone Ive spoken with and read, including a current resident, have confirmed the 4 year cutoff for residency payback.

That would be interesting...they really should. They would save the signing bonus and any special pay, as well as the monthly officer pay that HPSP students get.

Yea I bet there are a bunch of residents/attendings that are kicking themselves for not doing HPSP now that they are buried in debt.

Well either way it works I'm also applying to HPSP to pay for school, so maybe we'll get a chance to meet one day. :thumbup:

Oh cool...AF? thats the branch Im going for, if I decide to accept it.

Also, Enders game is one of my top 10 all time books...some of the other books in the series take a special mood to get through, but Enders Game was epic. Needs a good movie made.

Oh cool...AF? thats the branch Im going for, if I decide to accept it.

Also, Enders game is one of my top 10 all time books...some of the other books in the series take a special mood to get through, but Enders Game was epic. Needs a good movie made.

Yup AF all the way. My wife's Father was an army doctor so she would tell me how bad the army treated some of their personnel. I also already have two friends going through their AF Residency and both are loving it. I am a little worried about the fact that the AF has the fewest Residency spots making things more competitive but, I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

As for Ender's Game, I would absolutely love to see a movie. Or better yet a TV series. If its made with the same care and attention as the Game of Throne series it might just do the source material justice. Here's hoping :xf: .

Can anyone comment on the quality of military residencies? I've heard some are great while others are pretty lackluster. Also, it seems as though the military basically matches you for what they need and I've heard horror stories of med students getting screwed for residency placements...

Well after reading this I don't have to debate HPSP any longer. Assuming that's accurate, I am ineligible for military service. Glad that's decided :) It's kind of like when I was wondering if URM could get me into Hopkins, but then found out they don't accept community college credit. Phew. No "what if?" for me ;)

Well after reading this I don't have to debate HPSP any longer. Assuming that's accurate, I am ineligible for military service. Glad that's decided :) It's kind of like when I was wondering if URM could get me into Hopkins, but then found out they don't accept community college credit. Phew. No "what if?" for me ;)

May I ask why you're ineligible?

Can anyone comment on the quality of military residencies? I've heard some are great while others are pretty lackluster. Also, it seems as though the military basically matches you for what they need and I've heard horror stories of med students getting screwed for residency placements...

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=172071
This is a post in the Military Med forum where people review some of the various Residencies. I have't read it in a while but I found it helpful when I was doing research on HPSP. Beyond that I just have the word of a few friends currently going through their residencies and they have no real complaints beyond the usual.

Yup AF all the way. My wife's Father was an army doctor so she would tell me how bad the army treated some of their personnel. I also already have two friends going through their AF Residency and both are loving it. I am a little worried about the fact that the AF has the fewest Residency spots making things more competitive but, I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

As for Ender's Game, I would absolutely love to see a movie. Or better yet a TV series. If its made with the same care and attention as the Game of Throne series it might just do the source material justice. Here's hoping :xf: .

Awesome...and yes to the TV series, such cool idea/story

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=172071
This is a post in the Military Med forum where people review some of the various Residencies. I have't read it in a while but I found it helpful when I was doing research on HPSP. Beyond that I just have the word of a few friends currently going through their residencies and they have no real complaints beyond the usual.

Thanks, I'll check it out!

I have one of the disabilities/conditions listed at that link.

Well that makes things easy!

I have one of the disabilities/conditions listed at that link.

Don't count yourself out they will give waivers for some things if they aren't extremely serious. I've heard of people getting waived on their asthma (often considered an automatic dis qualifier) simply because they need doctors.

Don't count yourself out they will give waivers for some things if they aren't extremely serious. I've heard of people getting waived on their asthma (often considered an automatic dis qualifier) simply because they need doctors.

It's a physical disability that cannot be fixed/reduced with medication. I would need an uncommon surgical procedure to be "cured". Don't give me hope, I want to not have the option :thumbup:

You guys know that they are making a movie of Enders game, right? Coming out November 1 2013.
http://m.imdb.com/title/tt1731141/

Also one of my all time favorite series, along with the parallel bean series. I'm just a little peeved at Orson Scott Card for not having finished the last book yet. I want it done before he dies.

You guys know that they are making a movie of Enders game, right? Coming out November 1 2013.

Also one of my all time favorite series, along with the parallel bean series. I'm just a little peeved at Orson Scott Card for not having finished the last book yet. I want it done before he dies.

My **** is officially flipped. I don't care what the Mayans say the world will not end till I see this movie. Oh.... yeah and finish Med school, but more so for the movie.

That's how I feel about George R.R. Martin and the A Song of Ice and Fire series. He's 64 years young, but he just released the fifth book last year and plans to write two more. Perhaps since the HBO series has really taken off he will be more pressed to write the last two installments. Now that first semester is over I'm definitely going to be leisure reading a lot more.

??!! Wow...I didn't known this at all. Thy had better do it justice!!!

Yea it's definitely a great situation for people who are interested in the military. Unfortunately, I am not. I'm still considering it since it is a pretty sweet deal financially.

From what I've heard, this is no bueno. If you would never consider joining the military under normal circumstances, you shouldn't consider this option. They make it appealing for a reason.

From what I've heard, this is no bueno. If you would never consider joining the military under normal circumstances, you shouldn't consider this option. They make it appealing for a reason.

I have considered it since high school, and naturally I thought about HPSP. But times have changed since I went through college and I'm not sure how the military would fit into my plans. Plus I'd have to hide the fact that I have no ACL in my left knee :p

Yea, well I can't anyway (see previous posts).

Yea, well I can't anyway (see previous posts).

Ya, I saw the post about your disqualifying disfigurement. Penile reduction surgery isn't as uncommon as you'd think though. Trust me. PM me if you need the deets.

Ya, I saw the post about your disqualifying disfigurement. Penis reduction surgery isn't as uncommon as you'd think though. Trust me. PM me if you need the deets.

I know I'm not candid about personal details, but perhaps I need to make myself a little more anonymous on SDN. It's astonishing that you knew exactly what surgery I was talking about. :scared:

I know I'm not candid about personal details, but perhaps I need to make myself a little more anonymous on SDN. It's astonishing that you knew exactly what surgery I was talking about. :scared:

Naw...your anonymity is just fine. The force allows me to see who shares my misfortunes.

??!! Wow...I didn't known this at all. Thy had better do it justice!!!

While I generally don't hold my breath for books made into movies to be good, I think this has potential. Mr. Card has had many movie offers made and had refused them all because they wouldn't agree to stay true to the characters. He even had a deal signed once, but then backed out since they were planning on casting ender as a 15 or 16 yr old kid.

Will it be perfect? Probably not, but I'm excited for it.

P.S.
Love the spell check fail bro. Lol

So Im finished with finals and started a marathon of the League. One of the funniest shows I've seen.