Off-Topic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I hate road trips.. I'm not driving to anymore schools. I'd rather pay an extra ~$150 for a plane ticket than drive 12+ hours in 48 hours. Ugh.

However, after not being able to check my email all day I got home and saw an II to Cincinnati in my inbox!

why did you do that? you probably spent more on gas? unless you were driving a hybrid

Members don't see this ad.

why did you do that? you probably spent more on gas? unless you were driving a hybrid

Plane ticket = $270.

5.67 hour drive + 7.5 hour drive = ~$140.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think anything more than 5 hours is worth the plane ticket. I got nothing against road trips, I enjoy them but having that interview stress over your head and driving 5+ hours is a no no.

It took me 5 hours to get to Phoenix and I liked the drive by myself. I agree, not that bad.

I think id still rather fly... everytime i go on a road trip it storms. About 3 hours of my drive was pitch black and pouring rain.
I wouldn't mind a long sunny drive.

I think anything more than 5 hours is worth the plane ticket. I got nothing against road trips, I enjoy them but having that interview stress over your head and driving 5+ hours is a no no.

I agree.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

I think id still rather fly... everytime i go on a road trip it storms. About 3 hours of my drive was pitch black and pouring rain.
I wouldn't mind a long sunny drive.

Yeah a storm would suck.

Bunch of women in here.

Try freeway during the middle of the night with snow coming down, on summer tires that are nearly bald on a 13 hour trip coming back from Utah --> San Diego.

**** looked like hyperspace and we were drifting unintentionally.

How many lanes? I was on a two lane with a ditch on either side sliding around because the road was flooded. Plus there were semis everywhere.

My weather was worse than all ya'lls :rolleyes:

How many lanes? I was on a two lane with a ditch on either side sliding around because the road was flooded. Plus there were semis everywhere.

Good play. Touche'

Bunch of women in here.

Try freeway during the middle of the night with snow coming down, on summer tires that are nearly bald on a 13 hour trip coming back from Utah --> San Diego.

**** looked like hyperspace and we were drifting unintentionally.

Mmmm, that's a good one brah, but sounds like everyday driving in Michigan winter. Just not for 13 hours straight. Driving straight through 3ft drifts that go across the road, whiteouts after the master cylinder for the brakes failed while doing doughnuts in the Walmart parking lot. Shoot, we used to throw ourselves into skids just for fun and practice. Lol

Edit: but driving through a blizzard in able tires is admirable. I give ya props for that.

Mmmm, that's a good one brah, but sounds like everyday driving in Michigan winter. Just not for 13 hours straight. Driving straight through 3ft drifts that go across the road, whiteouts after the master cylinder for the brakes failed while doing doughnuts in the Walmart parking lot. Shoot, we used to throw ourselves into skids just for fun and practice. Lol

Edit: but driving through a blizzard in able tires is admirable. I give ya props for that.

I may or may not have exaggerated everything I said in that post.

Members don't see this ad :)
I might drive to kcumb, but I'm only going to that interview if DMU doesn't want me.

I may or may not have exaggerated everything I said in that post.

It's all good. You said you were going back to SoCal, right. Utah doesn't snow too bad usually, but if you survived driving it and you come from
SoCal then I think you deserve a real pat on the back for not crashing and burning like many Californians do here in the winter.
Did you come out for skiing or something? Beautiful skiing or snowboarding here in Utah!

It's all good. You said you were going back to SoCal, right. Utah doesn't snow too bad usually, but if you survived driving it and you come from
SoCal then I think you deserve a real pat on the back for not crashing and burning like many Californians do here in the winter.
Did you come out for skiing or something? Beautiful skiing or snowboarding here in Utah!

Ya, we went in Feb two years ago for some 'boardin @ brighton and park city.

Ya, we went in Feb two years ago for some 'boardin @ brighton and park city.

Yes! I was secretly hoping you were a snowboarder! The only way to hit the slopes IMO. Shoulda tried the canyons while you were out there. That place is SICK if you like untracked powder and lots of bowls and natural half pipes. I know Brighton and park city have great parks if you're a park rat, but I never really was one.
So sad that I will no longer have time or money to really pursue boarding or other awesome outdoor activities. :(

I'd like to learn to snowboard. Apparently DMU students go on ski trips every year. At least that's what one of the M2s said yesterday.

I'd like to learn to snowboard. Apparently DMU students go on ski trips every year. At least that's what one of the M2s said yesterday.

Ugh!
That's caveman speak for DMU sounds awesome if I get to go snowboarding even once! If you're learning though, it will take you more than one day to get proficient enough to enjoy it. Unless you're good at wakeboarding. That's the only other sport that I've tried that even closely resembles the feel of snowboarding. Maybe surfing? Never tried though.
Anyway, if I got to AZCOM and do rotations in flagstaff I could hit the slopes too maybe. Or western in Lebanon Oregon. Not too incredibly far from Mt Hood, although the snow there has always been slushy.

I've seen snow maybe 3 times in my lifetime. :(

Yes! I was secretly hoping you were a snowboarder! The only way to hit the slopes IMO. Shoulda tried the canyons while you were out there. That place is SICK if you like untracked powder and lots of bowls and natural half pipes. I know Brighton and park city have great parks if you're a park rat, but I never really was one.
So sad that I will no longer have time or money to really pursue boarding or other awesome outdoor activities. :(

Brighton was pretty cool. It has just dumped before we came so we were super excited for dat POW. However, after a couple hours, I was less enthusiastic about dat pow since I couldn't stay afloat. Kept sinking. Was still fun.:thumbup:

I've seen snow maybe 3 times in my lifetime. :(

Bro, that's sad. Let's all collectively wish rzoo14 into a school with 4 complete seasons! Chant with me now...oooooommmmmmm.....ooooommmmm!
;)

Brighton was pretty cool. It has just dumped before we came so we were super excited for dat POW. However, after a couple hours, I was less enthusiastic about dat pow since I couldn't stay afloat. Kept sinking. Was still fun.:thumbup:

Yeah dude, there is a difference between the board you ride for serious powder and park stuff. Im 6'1" and about 210 and i ride a 159cm for normal groomers and a 165cm wide board for the fat pow pow, longer and wider so you can float on through. You probably knew dat already. I just like to hear/see myself talk. Really, I just frikin miss boarding. Will be so sad to leave Utah because the snow will be disappointing everywhere else. And I mean everywhere.

Yeah dude, there is a difference between the board you ride for serious powder and park stuff. Im 6'1" and about 210 and i ride a 159cm for normal groomers and a 165cm wide board for the fat pow pow, longer and wider so you can float on through. You probably knew dat already. I just like to hear/see myself talk. Really, I just frikin miss boarding. Will be so sad to leave Utah because the snow will be disappointing everywhere else. And I mean everywhere.

I'm the same stats (although I have ballooned a little bit since being in medical school, damn I can't study without snacks) and I ride a 159cm Capita Stairmaster (beginner park board I guess). Wasn't that good in the pow :( Don't go enough to have two boards tho and in SoCal we don't really get that much pow.

Bro, that's sad. Let's all collectively wish rzoo14 into a school with 4 complete seasons! Chant with me now...oooooommmmmmm.....ooooommmmm!
;)

Haha. I want to get out of Texas but damn tuition here is so cheap, I'd take TCOM over OS in a heartbeat.

normal groomers and fat pow pow huh?

I'm the same stats (although I have ballooned a little bit since being in medical school, damn I can't study without snacks) and I ride a 159cm Capita Stairmaster (beginner park board I guess). Wasn't that good in the pow :( Don't go enough to have two boards tho and in SoCal we don't really get that much pow.

I don't actually own any boards. I worked at an outdoor rental shop on campus at my undergrad. We rented out boards, tents, whitewater rafts, camping stuff, etc. I got to use it all for free, and even discount and free passes to the local resorts like the canyons. It only paid $8.50 an hour but it was SO worth it. So sad to not be working there anymore.

normal groomers and fat pow pow huh?

Yeah man, groomers=groomed trails. You hope it hasn't gotten too warm during the day or it turns to ice at night.
Pow pow is obviously powder. Loose blankets of the stuff makes for an ethereal day on the slopes. Almost like surfing, or so I imagine since I've never actually done it. Ha ha ha!

Downloading iOS 6 for my iPhone and iPad as we speak. As I type. As...whatever, I'm just downloading it, ok?

Wait, is that your age?!? I guess it shouldn't be that shocking, but dang. Good on ya for being about 7 years ahead of me. Lol

Why shouldn't it be that shocking?

Also, I'm applying next cycle.

Im 19 and applying this cycle.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Im 19 and applying this cycle.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Oh snaps. While we're on the age topic, this 17 year old is applying this cycle with good chances of landing a spot at UTSW. He did SURF in our lab.

I'm not sure how awesome it is. I'm using it now, but other than some icon and status bar changes I'm not noticing much just yet. Lol

19? Are you pulling my leg here? How did you finish all the pre-reqs in time?

Some high schools are combined with community collages so you earn fuel credit. I have a friend you earned her first degree at that age but she dual majored so she graduated with the rest of us. I would take time off if I was 19 and done with school. Id travel abroad or something.

Some high schools are combined with community collages so you earn fuel credit. I have a friend you earned her first degree at that age but she dual majored so she graduated with the rest of us. I would take time off if I was 19 and done with school. Id travel abroad or something.

Hmmm, fuel credit for enrolling in high school and college concurrently? Sounds awesome! ;)