"# of USMLE attempts" criteria for programs,,,,

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Knicks

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question for people who applied to programs which say that both Step 1 and CK must be passed..... on 1st attempt

Has anyone here NOT passed, let's say, the CK on the 1st attempt, and yet still apply to programs with such criteria?

If so, what was the outcome?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on many factors. IMG vs AMG, High vs Low scores, number of attempt, which exam u failed ( they tolerate CS the most).

I'm an IMG, fresh graduate, double 99 in the 240s range, USCE, and an Attempt in the CS. I got invites from hospitals that require 1st attempts, some are big ones.
some hospitals take this failure thing seriously, like Louisiana State Uni, they even put bold lines below the word" attempt "( so I didn't apply there :) some say it and they add we look at the complete profile. it really varies

It depends on how competitive the program is. If it is competitive then they have more than enough applicants and wont care. If not so competitive, they may change their minds later and decide they want to look for others.

Fact is, even the not so competitive programs now a days are fiercely fought for. It's not the same world like 10 years ago.