# of EM shifts/month at each residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

student1313

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The following are places I chose to interview at. Most do not specify the amount of shifts per month they require on EM rotations. Recently, I have ran into a few that require 21-22 shifts per month early on in the residency. In my opinion this is too much. Can anyone help me out who may have written down the number of shifts per month at each location?

NJMS - Newark, NJ- PGY1- 18, 2 - 16, 3 - 14, 4 - 14
UMDNJ Cooper - Camden, NJ - PGY1- 22, 2 - 21, 3 - 20
LVHN - Lehigh Valey, PA - PGY1 - 20-21, 2 - 20, 3 - 19, 4 - 16-17
UMDNJ-RWJ- New Brunswick, NJ - 17-18 shifts/EM month
Morristown- Morristown, NJ - ????
Christiana - Newark, DE - ????
Drexel - Philadelphia, PA - ?????
York - York, PA - ????
Jefferson - Philadelphia, PA - ????
Albert Einstein - Philadelphia, PA - ?????
Geisinger - PA - ?????
New York Metropolitan - NYC, NY - ?????
Carilion - Roanoke, VA - ?????

Members don't see this ad.

The following are places I chose to interview at. Most do not specify the amount of shifts per month they require on EM rotations. Recently, I have ran into a few that require 21-22 shifts per month early on in the residency. In my opinion this is too much. Can anyone help me out who may have written down the number of shifts per month at each location?

York - York, PA - ????
Geisinger - PA - ?????
Carilion - Roanoke, VA - ?????

Isnt it important to know whether its 12, 10, 9, or 8 hour shifts...i mean 21 8 hour shifts isnt easy, but if its 21 12 hour shifts, then ill probably cross it off my list ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Isnt it important to know whether its 12, 10, 9, or 8 hour shifts...i mean 21 8 hour shifts isnt easy, but if its 21 12 hour shifts, then ill probably cross it off my list ;)

I mean you would assume the lower the amount of shifts, the longer they likely are. My whole thing is I'll work 12 hour shifts all month long if I only have 18 shifts as opposed to 22.

I mean you would assume the lower the amount of shifts, the longer they likely are. My whole thing is I'll work 12 hour shifts all month long if I only have 18 shifts as opposed to 22.

But then that means that you will not do anything else but work and sleep for 18 days a month. At least with 8h shifts you have time left before or after to do other things.

You also want to know how long residents tend to stay after their shifts and if the number of shifts is over 30-31 days or 4 weeks. Also, a lot of the scheduling is chief/resident dependent and there's no guarantee it won't change.

You also want to know how long residents tend to stay after their shifts and if the number of shifts is over 30-31 days or 4 weeks. Also, a lot of the scheduling is chief/resident dependent and there's no guarantee it won't change.

Yes I understand there are other things to consider besides the number of shifts. This thread is about the number of shifts because that is my main concern.

What you should be worried about is total number of hours per month/block, not the number of shifts. 12vs10vs9vs8 really does make a difference. I'll add what I know about these places.

York - York, PA - 21 - 8 hours.
Geisinger - PA - ?????
Carilion - Roanoke, VA - 190hr/block (21 - 9s.)
Buffalo 216hr/block, (18,17,16) all 12s

I am not sure what your source on this is, but I'm an EM resident at Carilion and the above is incorrect. As I previously posted, we do 19 ten hour shifts each four week block intern year, going down to 18 and 17 in PGY-2 and -3.

Unless they changed it and didn't tell me, I suppose.

sorry about that -- i got the total # of hours correct just not the shifts. Thanks for the correction. great program btw

What you should be worried about is total number of hours per month/block, not the number of shifts. 12vs10vs9vs8 really does make a difference. I'll add what I know about these places.

York - York, PA - 21 - 8 hours.
Geisinger - PA - ?????
Buffalo 216hr/block, (18,17,16) all 12s

lol well I'm glad that you know what I should or shouldn't be considering shoal. In all seriousness though I appreciate the intel you provided, although I do trust the Carilion resident over you. As far as number of hours vs number of shifts, I think that is personal preference. I have worked plenty of 12 hr shifts, and it bothers me a lot less to work 4-5 12 hour shifts a week vs 6 8-9 hours shifts. Having that extra day or 2 off is much more important to me. It's a personal choice. Thanks for your concern though.

lol well I'm glad that you know what I should or shouldn't be considering shoal. In all seriousness though I appreciate the intel you provided, although I do trust the Carilion resident over you. As far as number of hours vs number of shifts, I think that is personal preference. I have worked plenty of 12 hr shifts, and it bothers me a lot less to work 4-5 12 hour shifts a week vs 6 8-9 hours shifts. Having that extra day or 2 off is much more important to me. It's a personal choice. Thanks for your concern though.

The length of shift during residency doesn't easily translate into practice. My program, Buffalo, did all 12's. It was doable in residency, but as an attending, I'd die. I'd much rather work more 8-9-10's than less 12's. Far more tiring and there's nothing you can do for the rest of that day.

York Hospital, York PA: 4 week (28 day) blocks. The below numbers are all maximums, and residents may work less, especially in the EM-2 and 3 year
EM-1: 18-20 x 10 hour shifts
EM-2: 17-18 shifts, mix of 20% 8 hour and 80% 10 hour
EM-3: 15-16 shifts, mix of 20% 8 hour and 80% 10 hour

Does anyone happen to know Cincinnati's # of shifts and hours R1-R4?

It may have changed since I was there, but the R1s and R4s typically did 12s, with some 10 hr swing shifts and the R2&3s did 8s on weekdays and 12s on weekends. We had a reputation for brutal training, but in terms of hours we were middle of the pack. I seem to remember it being something like 54 hrs/wk for interns and down to 44-48 for R4s.

Likewise, anyone know how many shifts and how long they are at UNC?

It may have changed since I was there, but the R1s and R4s typically did 12s, with some 10 hr swing shifts and the R2&3s did 8s on weekdays and 12s on weekends. We had a reputation for brutal training, but in terms of hours we were middle of the pack. I seem to remember it being something like 54 hrs/wk for interns and down to 44-48 for R4s.

I am one of the chief residents at Cincinnati. Arcan, we do things similar to when you were here. When we make the ED schedule we target the following goals:

R1: 52-55 hrs/wk (mostly 11 hr shifts with mix of 8s and 10s)
R2: 46-48 hrs/wk (mostly 8 hr shifts with mix of 10s and 12s)
R3: 43-46 hrs/wk (mostly 8 hr shifts with mix of 10s and 12s)
R4: </=42 hrs/wk (mostly 12 hr shifts with mix of 8s and 10s)

On average I would say that our residents stay about 30 minutes over; there is a wide standard deviation however. Scheduled shifts include integrated childrens ED, community ED, and dedicated flight shifts.

Hope that helps,
iride

Could more people share their residency work schedule and how it changes from year to year? I am hoping to get 15 or 20 so more replies... Thanks

We worked a lot during residency, often 20-22 shifts a month and I still wish I would've done more. Residency sucks--then it's over. Being an attending is an intense responsibility

3 year residency with all 10 hr shifts. Each block is 4 weeks long. Interns do 20 per block. 2nd/3rd years do 18. Sometimes this can change +/- 1 shift per block depending on vacations, off service resident coverage, etc.

Last edited:
Incoming Chief Resident for Univ of Toledo

PGY-1: 22 x 10hr / month
PGY-2: 20 x 10hr / month
PGY-3: 18 x 10hr / month, chief gets 1 shift credit / month.

Reactions: 1 user