+/- of anesthesiology --> cc fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sandg

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
M2 here procrastinating on some infectious disease studying by thinking way down the line. Anyway, I was wondering if some of the attendings and residents here had anything to say about the relative pros and cons of anesthesiology as a gateway to a critical care fellowship vs. the other routes to cc. Many of the posts in the FAQ threads discuss anesthesiology as a great opportunity to practice critical care-type medicine everyday, so it seems like an anesthesiology residency would be good prep for a cc fellowship. But, just curious if anyone could expand. Thanks...you all are great.

Members don't see this ad.

As an anesthesia CCM guy...your assets:

1) acute patients
2) procedures
3) fast thinking on your feet.

Liabilities:

1) less medical knowledge
2) less exposure and experience with longer term outcomes

Just wondering if anyone could elaborate why they chose to do a CC fellowship after anesthesia training, and how you think it makes you a stronger clinician? I was thinking about a fellowship after residency and was trying to get a sense why you would choose CC? Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
As an anesthesia CCM guy...your assets:

1) acute patients
2) procedures
3) fast thinking on your feet.

Liabilities:

1) less medical knowledge
2) less exposure and experience with longer term outcomes

Without doing a medicine residency, how do you overcome issue #1?

Doing IM then CC you get exposure to long term pts, and more "medicine", but IM attendings are not always the best SICU attendings two different types of patients. Also much if IM residency is clinic which does not help in CC and then you have to deal with t-cons and other BS

In anesthesia you learn heart lung brain liver kidney physiology and pharm. Yet you get less IM exposure, less time in ICU but more time with critical patients since everytime you push an induction drug you induce a "critical" patient.

with Anesthesia CC you dont get the opportunity to do Pulm part of CC.

Either route you will be qualified - But if you do anesthesia you may deciede later like some of us who love CC and wanted to do a fellowship did and bag out when you realize that you take a salary hit to actually do CC (as opposed to anesthesia)

what are the employment prospects in private practice for someone dual trained in anesthesia and CCM? I know that you can do both at most academic centers, but is this also true in private hospitals? Ideally, I would love to do a week a month of CCM and the rest OR.