October Pcat!! 2015 Prelim

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MusicianPharmD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello:whistle:

I take the test on Friday. I think the October test week has already begun :shifty:. I used the Dr. Collins and the Pearson Practice tests, my first two practice scores range on 80-99 and 75-95, respectively. I am gonna do the last one tomorrow. Let us know how was your preliminary score on the real thing on these days. Of course, I'll do the same. I wish a lot of success to everyone! ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am taking mine next friday! good luck! I been studying mostly Dr Collins, I also took pearson tests and Kaplan as well. Let us know! :naughty:

:highfive:

I just had the pcat!!!

Preliminary scores:
Verbal 78
Biology 99
RC 17 :blackeye::confused: (rough!!!)
QA 95
Chemistry 98

Composite 95 ;):)

I almost cried when getting the results! Reading comprehension was just brutal! Basically, I had to guess the last passage, but English is my second language so I'm fine with whatever that is. Quantitative was unexpected, I never finished all the questions, just did them half way and guessed it based on what I got in the process.

And yes, I am very happy!!! :D

I just had the pcat!!!

Preliminary scores:
Verbal 78
Biology 99
QA 95
Chemistry 98

I almost cried when getting the results! Reading comprehension was just brutal! Basically, I had to guess the last passage, but English is my second language so I'm fine with whatever that is. Quantitative was unexpected, I never finished all the questions, just did them half way and guessed it based on what I got in the process.

Congratulations! May I asked the materials you used to study?

Members don't see this ad :)

I just had the pcat!!!

Preliminary scores:
Verbal 78
Biology 99
QA 95
Chemistry 98

omg Congratss!!, wish I can say the same next friday ahahahah :hungry::nailbiting::nailbiting:, you basically nailed it!, English is not my first language either, so I am freaking out with Reading and the essay lol I am nervous with Quantitative too I always run out of time ugh! but oh well......Congrats again! :hardy::hardy:

how did you study for bio? just memorize dr. collins? and were questions similar to pearsons practice tests

I read the dr. collins biology guide twice and did the all the tests. After I finished the 10 tests, I continued to read the answers behind each test which I think provided more info than the guide. I think that you do not need to memorize something specific, you just need to recall what organs/diseases/deficiency-vitamin are associate with the scenario they put in the question. I also used the used the three pearson practice test, they are more detailed in their explanations. I studied all of them, even if correct. I think the test I had was similar to pearson practice test #3 which is the second one. The third one had so much detailed questions which I never had to use in the real thing. I was worried about identifying diseases with their cause, for example, virus, bacteria, etc.... so I made a list of all the diseases that appeared on the practices tests, collins and pearson, and identified what cause it. So if they asked me something similar at least I could eliminate or answer right away. I also used videos from youtube which helped me visualize the microbiology concepts, viruses, bacterias, immunology system. etc.

omg Congratss!!, wish I can say the same next friday ahahahah :hungry::nailbiting::nailbiting:, you basically nailed it!, English is not my first language either, so I am freaking out with Reading and the essay lol I am nervous with Quantitative too I always run out of time ugh! but oh well......Congrats again! :hardy::hardy:

Thanks!

Well, RC subtest was just too lengthy, too many words for a simple idea. I understood the general passages but then always had like two answers that were totally fine as a correct option. I wasted too much time reading the question several times, since they were actually tricky, i think. I actually don't have any advice on that since I failed it. Verbal thou, use dr. collins for sure. You are gonna be fine.

I think the best way to answer the Quants subtest is by elimination. There are most of the time two obvious wrong answers, then choose between the other two. I think i guessed decently. I actually don't consider myself good on math, I was actually frustrated with practice tests because I was doing awful. On the other hand, I tend to think better and recall many things under pressure. Actually, I love the adrenalin rush of tests, if that makes sense, lol.

Good luck! Let me know how it goes.

Reactions: 1 users

I just had the pcat!!!

Preliminary scores:
Verbal 78
Biology 99
QA 95
Chemistry 98

Congrats! But ....

I hate to break it out to you, but I would be concerned about your 17 RC sub-score. Many top schools consider a sub-score below 20 is unacceptable regardless of your composite. I mean your score is still competitive, but I would rather check with the school you are applying to if they do have that policy.

Just got my prelims and got
78 VA
51 BIO
7 Reading Comp
9 Quant
72 Chemistry
Composite 38

I did not study and took it to see what kind of questions would be on here. I am planning to retake in January. Would it be suspicious if I somehow got around a 70 composite that time?

I read the dr. collins biology guide twice and did the all the tests. After I finished the 10 tests, I continued to read the answers behind each test which I think provided more info than the guide. I think that you do not need to memorize something specific, you just need to recall what organs/diseases/deficiency-vitamin are associate with the scenario they put in the question. I also used the used the three pearson practice test, they are more detailed in their explanations. I studied all of them, even if correct. I think the test I had was similar to pearson practice test #3 which is the second one. The third one had so much detailed questions which I never had to use in the real thing. I was worried about identifying diseases with their cause, for example, virus, bacteria, etc.... so I made a list of all the diseases that appeared on the practices tests, collins and pearson, and identified what cause it. So if they asked me something similar at least I could eliminate or answer right away. I also used videos from youtube which helped me visualize the microbiology concepts, viruses, bacterias, immunology system. etc.
Congrats on this score!!!
Question: How long did you study for? And how was the chemistry section? I've been done with school for a few years so I'm a bit worried lol.

Congrats! But ....

I hate to break it out to you, but I would be concerned about your 17 RC sub-score. Many top schools consider a sub-score below 20 is unacceptable regardless of your composite. I mean your score is still competitive, but I would rather check with the school you are applying to if they do have that policy.

I know, a 17 is just bad. But here is the thing. First, I am not planning at all to do the pharmD somewhere in USA. I am from Puerto Rico (the colony of US):wtf::bang::help:. Here we have two pharmacy schools. NOVA San Juan Campus and University of Puerto Rico Medical Science Campus. The Medical Science campus is the most competitive one and they care more about the science' scores since classes are taught in spanish (mostly). Then, we have NOVA which is in english, but they have a minimum of 10 PS, so I guess I would be more than fine with the overall scores.

Thanks for your concern! :nono::nod:+pity+

Congrats on this score!!!
Question: How long did you study for? And how was the chemistry section? I've been done with school for a few years so I'm a bit worried lol.

I studied for two months. Chemistry was easy. If you study with the Dr. Collins guide, you will do great. I also used the pearsons practice tests and I thought that the real pcat was easier. Don't be nervous, just focus and study hard. Organic and biochem will help a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the PCAT on October 29th and here are my preliminary scores:

Verbal: 82
Biology : 99
RC : 56
Quantitative: 85
Chemistry: 99
Composite : 99

I was actually extremely surprised at my mark. When I took the practice tests from Pearson ( these help a lot!) I kept scoring around 20th percentiles for RC and the university I'm using these marks for ( U of T) require over 20 so I was super nervous about the RC mark.
I definitely ran out of time for the quantitative section!! I ended up skipping through a good number of questions and going back later to answer them.

Last edited:

I was actually extremely surprised at my mark. When I took the practice tests from Pearson ( these help a lot!) I kept scoring around 20th percentiles, and the university I'm using these marks for ( U of T) require over 20 so I was super nervous about the RC mark.
I definitely ran out of time for the quantitative section!! I ended up skipping through a good number of questions and going back later to answer them.

you were getting 20th percentiles in each subscores on the practice tests? :eek:
your actual score is amazing!! congrats :)

I was actually extremely surprised at my mark. When I took the practice tests from Pearson ( these help a lot!) I kept scoring around 20th percentiles for RC and the university I'm using these marks for ( U of T) require over 20 so I was super nervous about the RC mark.

I was super worried about not being able to get to UT's minimum requirement too!!

Apparently kaplan's PCAT prep book did a poor job covering microbiology, cuz during the test I had no idea with multiple microbiology related question.

Took PCAT today. Preliminary scores:
VA: 82
BIO: 89
RC: 91
QA: 53 (haven't taken Calculus yet)
Chem: 76
Composite: 85

^ Seems like a solid score! How do you feel about that? Did you do Dr. Collins? How'd it cover all the sections? Or how'd you feel about the sections in general?

I take mine for the first time tomorrow. :O

I know, a 17 is just bad. But here is the thing. First, I am not planning at all to do the pharmD somewhere in USA. I am from Puerto Rico (the colony of US):wtf::bang::help:. Here we have two pharmacy schools. NOVA San Juan Campus and University of Puerto Rico Medical Science Campus. The Medical Science campus is the most competitive one and they care more about the science' scores since classes are taught in spanish (mostly). Then, we have NOVA which is in english, but they have a minimum of 10 PS, so I guess I would be more than fine with the overall scores.

Thanks for your concern! :nono::nod:+pity+

hey guys these are my prelims :
VA-78
Bio-99
Chem-98
RC-20 oops:confused:
QA-77
Composite-93

I know I know about that 20, but again English is not my first language and the passages were way too long:yuck: and I run out of time, I also run out of time in QA sad lol but oh well, I am applying to NOVA and other schools here in florida, I really really do not want to take it again because of that :censored: but if it is needed then I might, I haven't send my app but I am sending it on Monday. What do you guys think?

my GPA is 3.88, I volunteered a lot and right now I am Pharmacy tech trainee and working as well as medical scribe in a hospital.

Last edited:
Just took the pcat today and got my preliminary scores. The Percentile rank are low :/ except for reading and biology

Verbal Ability: 379
Biology: 399
Reading comprehension: 401
Quantitative Ability: 390
Chemistry:392
Composite: 392

Should i retake the pcat since the percentile rank are low? Im still unsure of what it means
I volunteer at 2 hospital pharmacy for a total like a year of and started working in a retail pharmacy since October this year.

VA-78
Bio-99
Chem-98
RC-20 ups:confused:
QA-77
Composite-93

I know I know about that 20, but again English is not my first language and the passages were way too long:yuck: and I run out of time, I also run out of time in QA sad lol but oh well, I am applying to NOVA and other schools here in florida, I really really do not want to take it again because of that :censored: but if it is needed then I might, I haven't send my app but I am sending it on Monday. What do you guys think?

my GPA is 3.88, I volunteered a lot and right now I am Pharmacy tech trainee and working as well as medical scribe in a hospital.

CONGRATS!!!!!!!

That's a very nice score!!! At least you got a 20 on RC !!!! and 93 composite is solid!!! I'm happy for you!

VA-78
Bio-99
Chem-98
RC-20 ups:confused:
QA-77
Composite-93

Can I ask? where are you from?

Just took the pcat today and got my preliminary scores. The Percentile rank are low :/ except for reading and biology

Verbal Ability: 379
Biology: 399
Reading comprehension: 401
Quantitative Ability: 390
Chemistry:392
Composite: 392

Should i retake the pcat since the percentile rank are low? Im still unsure of what it means
I volunteer at 2 hospital pharmacy for a total like a year of and started working in a retail pharmacy since October this year.

What is your composite PR?

I think you should retake the pcat. 27 is in the low side. what did you use to study?
the most i did was a practice exam the day before and got a 387. I have the dr.collins and kaplan book but i skimmed through the guides. For my school there minimum is 380. The pool right now for 2016 you need at least a 390 for an interview. Yeah im going to take it again in january. i keep seeing 99% percentile and im like is that a 399 499 or what. okay it makes more sense now.

I just had the pcat!!!

Preliminary scores:
Verbal 78
Biology 99
QA 95
Chemistry 98

What would be a decent excuse/reason to say at the interview if they ask for my RC (17) score?
I need ideas!

^ Seems like a solid score! How do you feel about that? Did you do Dr. Collins? How'd it cover all the sections? Or how'd you feel about the sections in general?

I take mine for the first time tomorrow. :O
I used the Collins material for chem and math. Didn't study verbal, RC, or bio much since I did OK on those sections when I took it in Sept.

What would be a decent excuse/reason to say at the interview if they ask for my RC (17) score?
I need ideas!

English is not my first language either, but we cannot use it as an excuse. I would be disastrous to say so, because, like it or not, it is the language being taught in the pharmacy school. I think, personally, the best reason is the truth. I would tell them that I am good at reading at my own pace like reading textbook for example, but reading under extreme time pressure is not my forte. They will mostly understand that because they know how difficult it is on the PCAT. Nevertheless, most pharmacy school consider science is more important than RC, and VA.

English is not my first language either, but we cannot use it as an excuse. I would be disastrous to say so, because, like it or not, it is the language being taught in the pharmacy school. I think, personally, the best reason is the truth. I would tell them that I am good at reading at my own pace like reading textbook for example, but reading under extreme time pressure is not my forte. They will mostly understand that because they know how difficult it is on the PCAT. Nevertheless, most pharmacy school consider science is more important than RC, and VA.

Yeah, that's the best option to tell. Thanks!