OCT 18 2008 PCAT thoughts and results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
T

Tatodotcom

wow, im def. glad i took it i now know what to study for and expect, and time is a whole nother issue....man that was tough

verbal-******ed, were those words in english??!?!?
bio-not bad at all, very few anatomy which was good cause i havnt had it yet
chem-freakin OCHEM exam, which im currently in...it was ok, time hurt
reading- not bad, couple of broad questions that i swear had multiple right answers..
math-not bad at all, EXCEPT FOR TIME! the problems were easy but i was on questions 28 and we had 5 mins left! i was getting everyone right though..i reallly need to time myself better

essays-who cares? they werent bad though

Members don't see this ad.

Verbal: Not too bad and guessed on a few.

Biology: EASY EASY EASY it's always my best section so that was just fine!

Chem: Crossing my fingers that some guessing was correct guessing! :eek:

Reading: EASY EASY EASY EASY. Did the whole thing and still had 20 minutes to go through each questions again and even found 5 questions I messed up on and changed it to the correct answer for sure!

Math: WTF. WTF!!!!!!! So freakin hard. I was on question 20-something and had 5 minutes left. I'm glad a lot of other people agree with this too. :thumbdown:

I'm still deciding whether or not to take it again in Jan. This was already my third time and I'm so burned out of studying for this stupid test! JUST LET ME INTO PHARM SCHOOL ALREADY!!!! :love:

Was I the only one who guessed on about 15 chemistry questions? I'm starting to worry.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had to guess on alot of orgo questions :thumbdown:. I did, from worst to best (in my opinion), on: Verbal, Readin/Chem tied, Quantitative, Bio.

hello guys hope everyones doing well.....
i was wondering how hopefull can u get if u bubbled blindly abt 10-15 questions in every section! i ran out of time on every section except bio! i slept abt 5 hrs not because i was cramming but because i had anxiety attack the night before and to make matters worse i got my migrain attack that morning...but these had nth to do with ruining my exam...i ruined my exam by not studying enough...but when i sit down and think of it i did study! i quit my job abt 5 mth ago and studies .....i really dont have energy and money to go through it again atleast not for this yr and seriously i am not looking forward for my scores!
i think pcat is not a measure of how much u know but it measures how well u manage ur time among ur fellow examiners! u could be the smartest but if u dont manage ur time then ur finished! here is my 1st experience

essay- for both took 15 min but since english is my second language dont know what or how good it will be! will be happy if i get 2.5
verbal- struggled a lot...it is not sth u can learn in even 6 mth..is sth that depends in ur vocabulary...mine just sucks .i am expecting lower than 40s
biology- finished on time but dont know how i did...will be happy if i get above 70s
chemistry-wow who ever said only theories! i had a lot of calculations ...if u ask me its impossible to do all 48 q in 30 min...its impossible especially if u got atleast 6-7 heavy calculation questions...needless to say i couldnt do it.....expecting 40s
composition-i felt so cheated by this time.......6 paragraphs ....were straight forward readings but man the questions were not st. forward at all...i wanted to scream at the questions all choices they provided were correct...so ya...screwed....i am expecting 40s!
quantitatives-wow.......just wow..i dont know how people making those questions think we r...someking of superhero or what! just bubbled lots not because i didnt know how to do them but because it would eat my time like pokaman.....will be surprised to get in 50s!
now everynight i have nightmares regarding this pcat! i am so not looking forward for the scores !
guys pls let me know what kind of job can u get with b.s in bio chemistry...i am junior rt now i seriously loosing hope and its affecting my studies

hello guys hope everyones doing well.....
i was wondering how hopefull can u get if u bubbled blindly abt 10-15 questions in every section! i ran out of time on every section except bio! i slept abt 5 hrs not because i was cramming but because i had anxiety attack the night before and to make matters worse i got my migrain attack that morning...but these had nth to do with ruining my exam...i ruined my exam by not studying enough...but when i sit down and think of it i did study! i quit my job abt 5 mth ago and studies .....i really dont have energy and money to go through it again atleast not for this yr and seriously i am not looking forward for my scores!
i think pcat is not a measure of how much u know but it measures how well u manage ur time among ur fellow examiners! u could be the smartest but if u dont manage ur time then ur finished! here is my 1st experience

essay- for both took 15 min but since english is my second language dont know what or how good it will be! will be happy if i get 2.5
verbal- struggled a lot...it is not sth u can learn in even 6 mth..is sth that depends in ur vocabulary...mine just sucks .i am expecting lower than 40s
biology- finished on time but dont know how i did...will be happy if i get above 70s
chemistry-wow who ever said only theories! i had a lot of calculations ...if u ask me its impossible to do all 48 q in 30 min...its impossible especially if u got atleast 6-7 heavy calculation questions...needless to say i couldnt do it.....expecting 40s
composition-i felt so cheated by this time.......6 paragraphs ....were straight forward readings but man the questions were not st. forward at all...i wanted to scream at the questions all choices they provided were correct...so ya...screwed....i am expecting 40s!
quantitatives-wow.......just wow..i dont know how people making those questions think we r...someking of superhero or what! just bubbled lots not because i didnt know how to do them but because it would eat my time like pokaman.....will be surprised to get in 50s!
now everynight i have nightmares regarding this pcat! i am so not looking forward for the scores !
guys pls let me know what kind of job can u get with b.s in bio chemistry...i am junior rt now i seriously loosing hope and its affecting my studies

dude, chill out....it's just a test. Wait and See what you actually got and then make your next move....adcoms are going to look at other things, and who knows you could get a decent score....if you're loosing sleep over this then i seriously suggest you get some help....it's just a test....theres no reason to give up the idea of becoming a pharmacist just because you THINK you did poorly...breath, chill out, and focus on getting good grades in your classes....good luck....

I agree with Tatodotcom. This test isn't something worth loosing your sleep or your grades over. What's done is done. You're just gonna have to wait till end of November to find out your score. From there, you'll know what your next move is when that time comes.

In the meantime, find something else to focus on besides predicting how horrible your score might be.

You never know, your scores might be better than you think.

good luck:)

i agree with the whole "don't freak out, it's just a test" thing. I know we're all probably science majors and it's our nature to freak on anything test related (I am/was one of those as well!), but really, especially in retrospect, it's just NOT WORTH IT to freak, especially since it's done and you can't change it anyway. It's always good to have options and back-up plans, but you can usually cross that bridge when you get to it. (Like waiting to actually see your score before you freak! :oops:) But at least it may have helped to rant about it. It usually helps me. This board will probably save my roommates a lot of ranting/worrying.

your still a junior... nothing wrong with take a year off and really cracking down on a pcat and going in a year later.

ya im still a junior but.....i am not 21 or 22 i am 25...so ya i freak out a lot? i guess its in my genes! but thanx guys .....for your supporting and encouraging words

I use to freak out alot, but now I don't. I have seen alot of people die around me. Life is too short/can be too short to freak out over a single test. Enjoy the time you have the best you can.

Members don't see this ad :)
What did everyone think of the chem portion on the pcat??? It seemed that time was a problem this time around...compared to August exam.

What did everyone think of the chem portion on the pcat??? It seemed that time was a problem this time around...compared to August exam.
ya way too much calculations ...it was my first time taking it but i still think chem for not doable in 30 min no way.....now the more imp question what will the score say!

Well, the test is over and hindsight is always 20/20. I was a nervous wreck when I took it in August, had not been in school for since I graduated in 04, not took a chem or math class since 2000 and I ended up with a 74. I took Calc over the summer, but that wasn't very much help for the quant. I don't know if I can repeat my biology score, but I was able to complete more without guessing, so I'm hoping that means that my composite should be better this time around. I didn't feel nervous or anything after the test, not good, not bad, just okay.

Don't let the test get you down. Its not the endall beall of pharmacy school. There are so many factors that go into it, and it may take more than 1 try at it. Life's to short.....its done, let it go. (well, at least until we are hounding down the mailman to see how we really did)

From the Oct 18 PCAT??? You got the results already huh.. I wonder how long it will take for it to get to Montana :confused:

This was my first time taking it. I'm really scared of my results :scared:

i like most ran rushed thru the last 5 questions on chem part and rushed through a lot on math part. other sections were ok. guessed on a lot of verbal stuff too. this is not good.

Do you guys think its possible that we will get our pcat score from oct. 18 2008 by the 4th week, even though they say it takes up to six weeks. Im from california by the way. And if anyone receive the score , PLEASE let us know.

thanks

Do you guys think its possible that we will get our pcat score from oct. 18 2008 by the 4th week, even though they say it takes up to six weeks. Im from california by the way. And if anyone receive the score , PLEASE let us know.

thanks

Results arrive in Cali in 5 weeks (estimate of 35 days).

I'm gonna expect my OCT scores in my mail box on Saturday 11/22 or possibly Monday 11/23

I'm sure the earliest people will get them will be Thursday the 20th and Friday the 21st of Nov.
---->Texas residents prove me right:)

Don't results ship out of Texas? When do the people in Texas receive their results?

Don't results ship out of Texas? When do the people in Texas receive their results?

Yes, Pearson ships our results from San Antonio, Texas 78259

Generally speaking, most Texas test takers will get their PCAT results earlier than everyone else.

:)

Verbal- Did good. I always screw up in this section for some odd reason, but I have confidence this time around :)
Biology- Really really good. I don't wanna "jynx" myself, but I'm pretty sure I missed no less than 5, even the ones I didn't know I looked up later and found out were right. I only missed one that I saw, so hopefully the others will be ok.
Chem- I started having chest pains during this section so I was thrown off. I have Mitral Valve Prolapse. I tried not to let it bother me but it got to me. I left several blank :(.
Reading- I think I did well. I usually do pretty bad in this section as well. I just need at least a 70 in this section and I'll be happy.
Math-Lot's of time consuming questions. Anything I couldnt figure out right away, I just left blank and moved on and came back.
Essays- Meh, I'm not worried, they aren't too bad I suppose
Composite- Got a 79 last time, which is actually good, and considered competitive. I know a lot of people are stressing over getting 85's and above. but I'm actually content with a 79. I wanna get higher but if it doesn't happen, no hard feelings. One of the things that helped though was starting from the back. the problems are usually easier in the back and I tend to get more done. Let's see what happens.:)

I feel like the Oct PCAT was comparable to the Aug test. The biology part on the Oct exam book that I had was a little more difficult than the Aug. I made a 71comp on the Aug test. I have already been accepted to a school so I could care less about the Oct results now!

6. Sorry I decided to sleep in today. I know everyone has been anticipating my countdown.

anyone here felt good about verbal and math?
let us know which books u used to study vocabs and math.

thank you

I felt really good about verbal. I would be surprised if I got below a 95 percentile. Nonetheless, I did as many practice verbal PCAT tests I could get my hands on. Kaplan, Barron (too easy), Cliff's, etc...

I felt HORRIBLE about math. Took too much time to do the calculations. I seriously wonder if I will pull off a 50%...I know at the end I just started bubbling in all "Cs" and "Bs"...It was a nightmare! Everything else, I felt fine about...

anyone here felt good about verbal and math?
let us know which books u used to study vocabs and math.

thank you

This was my first time taking the PCAT. I think I PROBABLY did pretty good for the first time.
Verbal- I did awful on the analogies, but probably really good on the sentence completion part of the verbal section. I really thought the sentence completion part was a piece of cake. At the most, a 60 is my guess.

Reading- I'm slow at reading and being able to comprehend alot of the material. Guess, ~60.

Math- I have only taken up to Survey of Calculus, and Elementary Stat. I found this section to be pretty easy. At the 5 minute mark I was on problem 32 and had to really go fast, and guess on the last 3-4. Guess-85.

Chemistry- Haven't taken organic yet, so I had to guess on alot of the naming problems/reactions. But the rest of the chem section was pretty easy. ~70

Biology- Really easy, but there was a few that took too much time and I had to guess on those. ~80

Writing-1 or a 2, LOL.

I just checked my PharmCAS and they have received my PCAT scores. Wonder how long it'll be til they send them out? And I wonder how long it'll be til I get my own in the mail.

I'll probably get mine late this week, or early to mid next week. If I got them today i'd be quite surprised, or disappointed.

I just checked my PharmCAS and they have received my PCAT scores. Wonder how long it'll be til they send them out? And I wonder how long it'll be til I get my own in the mail.

OMG ME TOO!! ::stomach drops:: Wonder if that is good or bad...eeep.

How long after PharmCAS gets them do testers receive them?? Past PCATers...tell us! ::hungover:ying:: :scared: