Ochem Study Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jabeck74

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking the DAT in 3 weeks, and I am still pretty weak on Organic Chem. I am making 13 on the Topscore tests. And Advice? At this point, would it be best for me to just memorize the reactions as best I can?

Thanks

Jamie

Members don't see this ad.

What are you using to study for Ochem? I used Kaplan and made a reaction sheet and went over it several times right before the test. I think the best advice is to know some characteristics of each functional group. For example, an aliphatic group is not as reactive compared to a carbonyl group. Hope this help.

I forgot to mention that you should know what conditions favor substitution and elimination reactions. If you need me to clarify just pm me.

Good luck

OK, you are already talking over my head. I don't know what an aliphatic group is, lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
jabeck74 said:
OK, you are already talking over my head. I don't know what an aliphatic group is, lol.

aliphatic is not aromatic (i.e benzene is aromatic and hexane or cyclohexane are aliphatic)

Is there any reason why you are taking it now? Are you in the 2006 cycle? If you are not I don't think I would rush it. You need to do well on this test and it sounds like you are pretty weak in O-Chem.

If you have to take it, the others have given you some good advice. I would have a rxn sheet as the others and I would also spend some time considering "why" reactions proceed.

For Example:
Why is bromine a better leaving group than Fluorine? (Look at your periodic table)
When you consider the mechanism of a Sn1 vs. Sn2, what makes Sn1 more likely to proceed with bulky groups? (Consider the stabilizing effect of the substituents)

Understanding concepts like these will help take out some of the memorization work in O-Chem. If you can get these ideas you can "rationalize" your way through problems vs. straight memorization.

I have tutored a lot of people in organic and this approach has proved successful every time. It is essentially "really" learning organic chemistry vs. just memorizing rxns.

One last thing....
Put away Kaplan and Top score for a week and (yeah I'll say it) BUST OUT your o-chem book and start working problems. Your book is much more in depth and you will get a lot more out of it than the half-a$$ explanations in Kaplan.

I hope this helps and good luck
-C

Can I ask specifically what kind of questions are seen most of the time on the Ochem section?

Is it mostly just predicting products of reactions?

Most people are saying know SN1, SN2, E1, and E2, but what about that do I need to know? Do they specifically ask, "Is this an SN1, SN2?" etc.

Or are most of the questions just recognizing what the reaction is and choosing the appropriate product?

Thanks

if you know substitution and elimination reactions inside out.. u shouldn't have any problems with the questions they give u..