OChem on PCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amith

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm wondering for the organic portion of the PCAT, when they say "Elmentary Organic Chemistry", What exactly does that mean? I will have pretty much 1 semester of OChem when I take the exam in oct., so is that adequate preparation? Or do they mean basic organic from both OChem 1 and 2. I've read ahead, and have been doing practice exams from the Barron's PCAT books, but the organic questions seem so Ez!! I find it hard to believe that the exam itself can be so basic!! On the other hand, when I tried studying from Mcat organic study material, it was kind of over my head. Anyways thanx in advance for any input =)

Members don't see this ad.

You should be find with first semester Ochem. There was very little Ochem on the PCAT that I remember. Mostly isomers, and 1st semester stuff like that. I would worry more about all of the genchem formulas that nobody ever remembers. Oh, also keep an eye on the time for the math portion. Seems like almost everyone runs out of time, or comes darn close. Try a search for "PCAT" on this forum and you'll turn up more info than you want to read. :D Good luck!

i basically ignored or guessed on all the organic question and still scored pretty well on pcats..don't stress about ochem..until you get into pharm school ;-)

Just worry about general chem 1 & 2. The 4 questions of Organic on the PCAT are not going to set you back that far especially if you have had Organic 1. Its fairly simple like whats an Alkayne etc...

whew thanx for the good news, now I can concentrate on the bio stuff =)