OCD Support for Medical Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A Salty Girl

Reaction score
I am a medical student who has discovered that the crippling anxiety I have from intrusive thoughts and overwhelming (yet irrational) fears is actually OCD. And while I have been in therapy for this, my therapist suggested (and I thought this was a great idea) that I find a support group/therapy group for OCD. However I have noticed all of the groups that meet online are simply not my demographic. I don't want to join a group titled "stay at home moms with OCD", "teenagers with OCD", etc. I want a group of people who are also in medical school and can empathize with the constant struggle I go through trying to be a successful student while also suffering from a diagnosis. Does anyone know of such a group that exits? Or even better, are there enough medical students with OCD on here to start one? I have seen several old threads on OCD but nothing recent. Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

No you are not the only one, and I'm guessing these types of groups do not like attention. All your student services office and counseling office (University-wide if necessary).

Reactions: 1 users
Are you getting help from a psychiatrist as well? While therapy is good for anxiety disorders, including OCD, it would be a good idea to establish with a psychiatrist. True OCD (rather than misdiagnosed OCD I come across at times) is a lot less common than other anxiety disorders such as GAD, social phobia, etc so it may be harder to find a group of people with a similiar demographic. Now I do think there are a lot of med students with OCPD.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users