Occupational Therapy vs Physical Therapy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keyboardmouse

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering what would be a better choice in between these two field:
A) in terms on job outlook
B) in terms of Salary
C) Overall job satisfaction

I know this is a PT forum, but maybe some PTs who probably think they would be better off as OTs , or some PTs who are happy with their choice. Help a brotha out!

Members don't see this ad.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) has compiled the best data in terms of the job outlook and salary for both professions. Take some time to explore that information at the links below:

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/physical-therapists.htm

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/occupational-therapists.htm

Overall job satisfaction is going to vary from individual to individual. There are a number of variables that can impact job satisfaction. There are external factors such as the work environment, which include the type of practice setting, patients seen, co-workers, supervisors, etc. At the same time, there are internal factors such as an individual's personality, their attitude, stress management, etc. The point being is that there are too many variables that can be considered in terms of overall job satisfaction and it is all relative to that individual.

I start physical therapy school in May, but the physical therapists I have observed, the ones I have interviewed with during the application process, and those practicing who spend time on this forum all seem to be very happy in their chosen profession.

The answer to your question, "What would be a better choice between PT and OT?" is really dependent on you. You may get some good responses on this forum, but if you are looking at both these fields as a future career, I would review the information available at the two links above and take some time to shadow both PTs and OTs. Job outlook and salary are important factors, but exposing yourself to both professions will give you the opportunity to determine whether you would find fulfillment as either a PT or OT.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am wondering what would be a better choice in between these two field:
A) in terms on job outlook PT is slightly greater than OT in the foreseeable future
B) in terms of Salary This varies by clinical setting. About the same with possibly a slight advantage going to PTs on non-acute care.
C) Overall job satisfaction PTs/OTs both report great job satisfaction

I know this is a PT forum, but maybe some PTs who probably think they would be better off as OTs , or some PTs who are happy with their choice. Help a brotha out!

exposing yourself to both professions will give you the opportunity to determine whether you would find fulfillment as either a PT or OT.
JM1IkP

...and if you're considering therapy, I'd set my salary expectations accordingly. I have not heard of any starving therapists, but for the most part they're not making anywhere near physician salaries. It seems like therapy will be your second attempt at a healthcare career and your questions are valid, however I just wanted to point that out since most of your past posts seem to point to salary versus what these two professions actually do. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Also, depending on the area, there is a wide variety within the salary ranges, the posted salary is an average, some make more, some make less

I've been in OT school, dropped out to go to PT school.
As far as salaries they are very similar. PTs, on avg., will probably make 0% to 10% more.
As far as job outlook PTs have more opportunities because of all the outpatient clinics which are typically 80-95% PTs.
During OT school it hit me hard that I really wanted to do outpatient ortho and so I had to switch (apply to PT school) to PT. Finding an outpatient ortho job as an OT is very hard and if you do find one, you're only doing hands and wrists (the OTs at my current outpatient ortho clinic only does hands/wrist), while the PTs treats all body parts.

If you're looking at inpatient only, then I'd say they're even. OTs have to work on ADLs more so that means more toileting duties (which I don't enjoy).

I actually hold a dual license as PT/OT. As an OT, I've treated shoulders, elbows, wrist, and hands, along with cervical, thoracic, lumbar, SI, and so on. I've done equal amount of work in an outpt setting. Oddly, wrist and hand are probably the least of the others that I've treated as an OT. I guess it's the population of pts to whom my clinic caters. One thing for sure, I can work as much as I'd like in either field. The work is PLEN TEE FULL in both fields. Of course, I prefer PT a tad bit more only because I've always dreamed of becoming a PT. OT came a little later for me. Nonetheless, I get equal satisfaction in both fields.

Yes, there are some outpatient ortho clinics that have OTs treat all upper body joints however, compared to PT, it is very rare. I've lived in 7 different states and I see how rare it is. If one is wanting outpatient ortho, save some time and go for PT, otherwise if one doesn't care for outpt ortho, then both fields is great and both a USA top 10 job.

I actually hold a dual license as PT/OT. As an OT, I've treated shoulders, elbows, wrist, and hands, along with cervical, thoracic, lumbar, SI, and so on. I've done equal amount of work in an outpt setting. Oddly, wrist and hand are probably the least of the others that I've treated as an OT. I guess it's the population of pts to whom my clinic caters. One thing for sure, I can work as much as I'd like in either field. The work is PLEN TEE FULL in both fields. Of course, I prefer PT a tad bit more only because I've always dreamed of becoming a PT. OT came a little later for me. Nonetheless, I get equal satisfaction in both fields.

Do you get paid more with both credentials?

Do you get paid more with both credentials?
I think I lost my earlier response, but in a nutshell. I became an OT first and worked minimal PRN while I completed the PT portion of my curriculum in school. After obtaining my PT license not long after school, I found that I made about 14-18% more than my schoolmates who were only PT or OT. Now 4 years later, I would say I am doing pretty well. Employers realize the value of someone with a dual degree, and I am able to use this when negotiating. **disclaimer** I am not overworked. I see no more than 1 pt/hour. I work mostly in Outpt setting and use a ton of manual therapy, hence 1pt/hour.

I see no more than 1 pt/hour. I work mostly in Outpt setting and use a ton of manual therapy, hence 1pt/hour.

:wideyed: Do you still make an average full-time PT/OT salary? How common is this low caseload? Though I' not a PT yet, I've been in several outpatient ortho clinics and they were all 2-3 pt/hr.

:wideyed: Do you still make an average full-time PT/OT salary? How common is this low caseload? Though I' not a PT yet, I've been in several outpatient ortho clinics and they were all 2-3 pt/hr.
Again, I started out about 14-18% higher than normal for a new grad with either/or. My salary has continued to increase over going on a 4 year period. I was also fortunate to renegotiate my salary about 8 months ago. 1. employers don't have to pay 2 full salaries and benefits . When a pt is capped out in one discipline for the year and may still benefit from more therapy but can't because they are out of funds, if they are appropriate, I request an eval and treat for the other discipline. Usually it gets approved, and I'm able to spend more time with the pt.

It is common to see more than 2-3 pts per; however, at the clinic in which I work, it is very hands on specializing in manual therapy and myofascial release. It's no way possible to see greater than 1 per hour. 90% of the caseload consist of a population that comes for this treatment. I suppose it is possible but unlikely.

Although rare there are places that only schedule 1 on 1. I'm not sure how free standing clinics do it. I know the hospital I did my acute rotation had an outpatient clinic who only saw 1 on 1 but they at least could send therapist upstairs to acute if a pt didn't show or canceled.

I do not know much about the salary package and job outlook for both. But I have been through both the therapies at one or the other phase of life from OrthoTexas. As a patient, I feel both are equally effective to relieve pain. You should go for both to enhance your career options.

:smack:

Wow, how do you get a dual degree? I never heard of that. I like both PT and OT. How long does it take for grad school and is it harder getting DPT than the dual degree or vice versa?
Also, can you list some universities that allow that? Thank you!

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but in acute care, the roles of PTs and OTs overlap so much that nurses and doctors often refer to everyone as "physical therapy." The reason I bring that up is so anyone who is deciding between the two careers makes sure to get observation hours in multiple settings, before making a decision. Acute care, pediatrics, outpatient neuro, etc. All would be good settings in which to shadow before applying to programs.

Also, the acute care hospital where I worked paid per diem PTs and OTs the exact same rate. I don't think the difference in salary would make or break most therapists. That's cool that aOpitre gets paid extra for being both :)

Wow, how do you get a dual degree? I never heard of that. I like both PT and OT. How long does it take for grad school and is it harder getting DPT than the dual degree or vice versa?
Also, can you list some universities that allow that? Thank you!
Hello. I think University of St Augustine is the only school that offers the Dual Degree. It is a total of 3 years 4 months. You graduate as an OT in 2 years then finish off the curriculum for PT an addition 1.25 years. Of the remaining time after OT 4 months consist of clinicals. I was able to work PRN as an OT while I was in PT school. As far as salary goes, I was not making twice the amount of any therapist. I wasn't doing 2x the work; however I was able to negotiate my salary accordingly and made significantly more than my classmates that were either PT or OT only. In essence an employer is getting a 2 for 1. Caseload fluctuates between the two disciplines and they have the convenience of using one therapist rather than hiring both an OT and a PT. They are paying benefits for 1 individual. When other therapist take vacation or need time off, I'm usually available to fill in. Several perks that an employer would have by hiring a dual student. Sometimes Medicare money runs out for 1 discipline and if a pt needs more treatment I'm able to do eval for the other discipline and continue to treat if warranted.